Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It depends on the popper. Mine usually took 8-10 minutes at my old apartment, then I moved and the first time I tried it at the new place then thing ran for 20 minutes and the beans were barely dark enough to drink, so I switched to a Whirlypop. I guess the electricity is underpowered here. Either way, if you try to roast an entire pound without letting it cool between batches then you are going to gently caress up your popper pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/07/how-to-make-better-french-press-coffee-tips-technique-grind-timing.html

Really good French Press method from Serious Eats

Super coarse grind, light stir, 6-8 minute extraction time.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
When you're using a french press, do you add extra water to account for ground absorption? If so, do you calculate your coffee weight based off of the total water you put in, and not just how much coffee goes into your cup?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Casull posted:

When you're using a french press, do you add extra water to account for ground absorption? If so, do you calculate your coffee weight based off of the total water you put in, and not just how much coffee goes into your cup?

Absorption happens on all methods though.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Casull posted:

Also this line of thought leads you down the road that ends with you buying a spectrometer to try and judge how extracted your bloom water is so you can decide whether to include it in the total or toss it.

Just weigh the beans and toss them into the grinder, then use whatever comes out. Assuming you clean your grinder once in a while and don't stop it while there's beans still inside, what you get out will be within 0.5g of what you put in.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Just saying. A spectrometer is a great way to move towards better coffee. And really not terribly much work. Just requires a bit of a cash outlay.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Please share your french press ratios. I have been trying 1:16 but it tastes weak to me. Does the 1:16 apply to french press? I know it doesn't matter as long as I like it so I should keep experimenting, but I NEED RULES.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

thebehaviorist posted:

Please share your french press ratios. I have been trying 1:16 but it tastes weak to me. Does the 1:16 apply to french press? I know it doesn't matter as long as I like it so I should keep experimenting, but I NEED RULES.

If 1:16 tastes weak, try 1:15. Or grind a little finer.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

thebehaviorist posted:

55g for a 32-ounce press has worked great for me. 27g for a 16oz.

Lysator
Mar 1, 2015

dik-dik posted:

Had some bad experience with grinding too fine (Coffee powder does not taste very delicious). I would recommend keeping the coarseness setting constant.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

55g for a 32-ounce press has worked great for me. 27g for a 16oz.

How much water do you use? I tried 56g and 950ml (per the chart in the OP) which filled it to the brim so there was no room to put the plunger on top. I measured it out today and I'm using about 800ml of water so I still have room to put the top on and not worry about spilling.

Lysator posted:

Had some bad experience with grinding too fine (Coffee powder does not taste very delicious). I would recommend keeping the coarseness setting constant.

Thanks, will do. I have a Breville burr grinder and from what I've read the coarse setting isn't coarse enough so i think it's already probably a bit too fine. I might get one of the hario manual grinders. I'm not ready to upgrade my electric one just yet.

dik-dik posted:

MUCH better. Going to try 1:14 tomorrow and see how that is. I read somewhere (I think Blue Bottle's website) to start out at 1:10 which seemed like a lot to me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Blue Bottle uses a shitload of beans at their shops and 10:1 sounds about right when they do the drip coffees. It's overkill for most people I think. Also the Hario grinders suck for French Press

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
We just got a Baratza Preciso from our wedding registry... what grind settings does everyone recommend? I have been doing around a 33 for french press but at my usual ratio of ~800ml + 56g at about 190F seems to overextract.

Trying to determine if it's water temperature or I'm doing the wrong grind. It could also be the coffee, someone gave me about 5lb in January and there's no way I'd ever buy that much myself. Even if I hadn't gone on a two week vacation it would've been tough to finish quickly. We froze it but I'm not convinced of the quality. Thing is, I've never noticed beans getting extra bitter from getting old, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

On the upside, I am really loving the Preciso. I've been delaying moving to a burr grinder because of the price and the amount of coin we were spending on other stuff, but boy is it nice. Aeropresses come out like a dream.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

MindSet posted:

We just got a Baratza Preciso from our wedding registry... what grind settings does everyone recommend? I have been doing around a 33 for french press but at my usual ratio of ~800ml + 56g at about 190F seems to overextract.

Trying to determine if it's water temperature or I'm doing the wrong grind. It could also be the coffee, someone gave me about 5lb in January and there's no way I'd ever buy that much myself. Even if I hadn't gone on a two week vacation it would've been tough to finish quickly. We froze it but I'm not convinced of the quality. Thing is, I've never noticed beans getting extra bitter from getting old, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

On the upside, I am really loving the Preciso. I've been delaying moving to a burr grinder because of the price and the amount of coin we were spending on other stuff, but boy is it nice. Aeropresses come out like a dream.

I've never frozen beans so can't speak to that, but I've made coffee from stale beans before and it doesn't taste over-extracted, just stale. Up your grind size to 38 and adjust from there - or you can just cut down your steeping time by 20%.

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

becoming posted:

I've never frozen beans so can't speak to that, but I've made coffee from stale beans before and it doesn't taste over-extracted, just stale. Up your grind size to 38 and adjust from there - or you can just cut down your steeping time by 20%.

thanks, I'll try the bigger grind. I was only steeping for 3:00 so I think that's probably it... I'm still honing in on the goldilocks spot on this grinder. the beans certainly aren't very stale, just not the highest quality.

MindSet fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 5, 2015

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Sooo does anyone know a trick to keep the Kalita Wave filters from occasionally deforming like crazy while wetting them? Especially towards the end of a batch of filters they tend to just explode into unusable shapes. I feel like I am missing something.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Sooo does anyone know a trick to keep the Kalita Wave filters from occasionally deforming like crazy while wetting them? Especially towards the end of a batch of filters they tend to just explode into unusable shapes. I feel like I am missing something.

if you're using the white filters.. i've seen enough people say that pre-wetting doesn't really improve the flavor enough to bother.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
After becoming acquainted with my Hario V60 and all the accompanying gear for the past year and a bit, we picked up a Chemex so we can drink more, MORE MORE MORE.

The bonded filters are odd though, when you set them in the Chemex itself, there's, uh, 3 folds on one side and 1 on the other? Is that how they are supposed to be?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

VERTiG0 posted:

The bonded filters are odd though, when you set them in the Chemex itself, there's, uh, 3 folds on one side and 1 on the other? Is that how they are supposed to be?

That is right. The side with three folds goes over the pouring thingy.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

I've had pretty good luck pushing the creases back out with my fingers. It takes maybe ten seconds, nothing really time consuming. Then I put it into the dripper and I wet by pouring water straight into the bottom, never along the sides. If you hit the sides, it will probably deform.

VERTiG0 posted:

After becoming acquainted with my Hario V60 and all the accompanying gear for the past year and a bit, we picked up a Chemex so we can drink more, MORE MORE MORE.

Chemex is awesome; congrats on your purchase!

To expand on withak's answer a little bit: for coffee to be able to drip into the bottom of the Chemex, it needs to displace air. The air needs to come out of the bottom, and most of it will do so by coming out the pour spout. So, the reason you put the triple-thick side over the pour spout is to keep it from collapsing into the groove. If it does, coffee will not be able to drip into the bottom, and you will have an exceptionally slow draw-down/probably over-extract. If your draw-down is going slowly, the first thing to check is whether the filter collapsed into the groove.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

1. As Bronze said, I've never noticed any paper taste from the white ones (I even went as far as soaking one in water for a while and tasting the water to make sure).

2. If you still want to prewet them, I've found the easiest method is to use my gooseneck to pour a tiny amount in the middle of the filter, let that spread across the base, and then VERY QUICKLY pour enough to fill the filter, aiming at the middle.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
And another random kalita tip. If you typically use the 155 but want to setup up to the 185 to make multiple cups you should increase starting water temp by a couple of degrees. The longer pour time cools the water enough to make a noticeable (under-extracted) difference.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Bronze posted:

if you're using the white filters.. i've seen enough people say that pre-wetting doesn't really improve the flavor enough to bother.

Welp. Time to change a habit.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Are there any drip coffee makers worth buying that are in the $100 range? I've looked at the SCAA list, and the ones that I can even find here (Canada) are more expensive than I'd like.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
First roasting session under my belt. I picked up a Poppery II from eBay and an 8# sampler from Sweet Maria's. I grabbed 80g of Ethiopia Agaro beans and went for it. The very first first crack was at the 2:45 mark, with a few more kicking off at about 3:10. I stirred with a wooden spoon every 30 seconds or so, but they were moving around pretty well on their own. First crack seemed to finish around 4:30. At about 5:20 I heard what I believe to be the very first second crack, so I dumped them into a colander and tossed to cool. I was going for something close to full city. The result is pictured below. Did I do okay?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Looks good to me. The important question is how did it taste?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Google Butt posted:

Looks good to me. The important question is how did it taste?
Having my second cup right now. It's great, although I'm sure I'm biased. Definitely some of the brighter, fruitier notes that I like. Pretty drat good for a first try, I think.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Easychair Bootson posted:

Having my second cup right now. It's great, although I'm sure I'm biased. Definitely some of the brighter, fruitier notes that I like. Pretty drat good for a first try, I think.

You're a natural. That looks like a really nice roast, especially from a popper; I always wound up a little darker than I wanted.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Easychair Bootson posted:

First roasting session under my belt. I picked up a Poppery II from eBay and an 8# sampler from Sweet Maria's. I grabbed 80g of Ethiopia Agaro beans and went for it. The very first first crack was at the 2:45 mark, with a few more kicking off at about 3:10. I stirred with a wooden spoon every 30 seconds or so, but they were moving around pretty well on their own. First crack seemed to finish around 4:30. At about 5:20 I heard what I believe to be the very first second crack, so I dumped them into a colander and tossed to cool. I was going for something close to full city. The result is pictured below. Did I do okay?

Yeah, this is a really really good job. Every 30 seconds or so is a good stirring technique -- you don't want to agitate the beans too much but you also want to make sure they all roast fairly evenly. Nicely done my friend!

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Thanks for the encouragement. Some friends are stopping by for dessert tonight, and my folks will be in town this weekend, so I'm looking forward to sharing.

Richardanator
May 8, 2006

Mmmm.....
I was inspired by this thread to make my own batch of coffee so this morning I went out to buy a popcorn convection cooker from goodwill. I think I ended up just burning the poo poo out of my coffee. The taste is fairly underwhelming, thought that might be the brand of bean I purchased. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJA51D4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a photo of some of the beans. I made a fairly small batch, maybe two cups worth.

I didnt really notice much of a pop, just very light crackles. Is that what I should be listening for?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Richardanator posted:

I was inspired by this thread to make my own batch of coffee so this morning I went out to buy a popcorn convection cooker from goodwill. I think I ended up just burning the poo poo out of my coffee. The taste is fairly underwhelming, thought that might be the brand of bean I purchased. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJA51D4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a photo of some of the beans. I made a fairly small batch, maybe two cups worth.

I didnt really notice much of a pop, just very light crackles. Is that what I should be listening for?

The roast looks fine. It's a touch uneven, but it's not burnt.

Based on the fact that you said you roasted this morning, I'm going to assume that implies you brewed the coffee shortly after. If that's the case, you just didn't let it off-gas at all. Fresh roasted coffee needs at least 8 hours to off gas before it's ready to be brewed. If you have enough left, try the same beans tomorrow and report back.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

rockcity posted:

The roast looks fine. It's a touch uneven, but it's not burnt.

Based on the fact that you said you roasted this morning, I'm going to assume that implies you brewed the coffee shortly after. If that's the case, you just didn't let it off-gas at all. Fresh roasted coffee needs at least 8 hours to off gas before it's ready to be brewed. If you have enough left, try the same beans tomorrow and report back.

I don't even wait for my coffee to off gas anymore, I just grind and let it bloom longer. Need that fix..

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Google Butt posted:

I don't even wait for my coffee to off gas anymore, I just grind and let it bloom longer. Need that fix..

I've tried doing that, but I've never been pleased with the results. It always tastes sort of sour to me if I don't wait. I've gotten into a habit of roasting at night so it's ready in the morning. Speaking of which...

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I just started roasting my own beans with a popcorn popper, and have had good results thus far, as far as I can tell. Quick question: is rapidly cooling your roasted beans a big necessity, or is it fine to let them sit in a sieve on the counter for a couple hours before putting them in a container?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You want to cool them down to below roasting temperature to halt the cooking process quickly, but letting them sit on the counter to cool to room temp after that is fine.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

In theory, you could probably just stop the roast a bit early and let them finish roasting on the counter. I'm not sure how that would affect the roast, but from first principles I don't see why it wouldn't work :shrug:

That said, the main reason that I like to rapidly cool my beans is because it's the fastest and most efficient way I know to remove chaff:

I take the beans outside and pass them between two large colanders. The trick is to pour from as high as you can without missing (too much). Since the chaff is warm, light, and airy, it tends to get blown around and miss the bottom colander, while the beans, being relatively dense, fall in a nice steady arc directly into the other colander. A few passes back and forth and the vast majority of the chaff is gone, and the beans have cooled down a fair amount too (assuming it's a relatively cool day).

e: Obviously, this requires access to an outdoor place that you don't mind periodically blanketing in chaff.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 15, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Got a CCD for my birthday, would I be safe treating it like a french press in terms of ratio/time?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

FAUXTON posted:

Got a CCD for my birthday, would I be safe treating it like a french press in terms of ratio/time?

In my experience yes, but you can start playing with much finer grinds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysator
Mar 1, 2015

rockcity posted:

I've gotten into a habit of roasting at night so it's ready in the morning.
I've never tried roasting myself. Is it worth the additional investment? Do not-roasted beans stay fresh longer?