Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I've never run a Hider that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Somberbrero posted:

Oh wait, Numberman is a Hider, that's testable.

How is Hider indicative of alignment? WHO CARES?!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Well I'm sure it's in a wiki or the flash thing.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

merk posted:

How is Hider indicative of alignment? WHO CARES?!

Testable in that he can say he's commuting and then have someone use an action on him and it would prove he's commuting and not killing. I guess.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Amoeba102 posted:

Testable in that he can say he's commuting and then have someone use an action on him and it would prove he's commuting and not killing. I guess.

We have no information that says a player cannot perform an action and kill on the same night.

This game is not going to be won with role-based discussion. You cannot confirm people through night action.

Pick content, evaluate it, vote on that content. You said it yourself like six posts ago.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I was playing Devil's Advocate for Somber. That's why there is the "I guess" at the end there. I was working on purely in the hypothetical.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
If you are a commuter or a hider you definitely should not be allowed to perform other simultaneous actions though.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Somberbrero posted:

If you are a commuter or a hider you definitely should not be allowed to perform other simultaneous actions though.

This sentence could lose us the game. Let me edit it for you so it might not:

Somberbrero posted:

If you are a commuter or a hider you definitely should not be allowed the mod might allow you to perform other simultaneous actions though.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I figure I'm going to get voted out today as the last remaining vanilla with no info on them. Merk is waiting to die and Rurea has been copped. I can see that happening then it's just working out who lied if the game doesn't end when merk dies.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Let's not do this: Forget it Somber it's not going to solve the game.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'd lynch Met right now.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Met came in the thread and didn't do anything. That's exactly how I'd expect scum to be playing right now: Surviving.

##vote Met

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Every time I read Met I can only see them as genuine.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't even 100% agree that night actions and role speculation are unhelpful in mafia as a general rule but given we are playing a game where the mod has specifically stated they will be using some unusual roles yeah let's not go around making any assumptions

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I also don't agree that scum is going to be playing low profile I think if I were scum right now I'd definitely be playing the strongest town game I could since you'd basically be a survivor. I think a good lead would be to see who has gotten more and more involved in this game since we've lynched more and more scum

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I mean it's pretty common strategy to vote out inactive players on low information days to make scum hunting easier so what would be the point in not contributing as much as possible since there's no other scum left for you to have to try and avoid lynching?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Isn't a hider basically a godfather in this setup?

Why wouldn't a townie hider not just hide and hopefully waste a scum night kill?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

merk posted:

Met came in the thread and didn't do anything. That's exactly how I'd expect scum to be playing right now: Surviving.

##vote Met

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I also don't agree that scum is going to be playing low profile I think if I were scum right now I'd definitely be playing the strongest town game I could since you'd basically be a survivor. I think a good lead would be to see who has gotten more and more involved in this game since we've lynched more and more scum

Both of these are just speculation on how YOU would play the game. While it can potentially be helpful, it may not be an accurate representation of the lone scum player in this game. It may not be useful at all. I like Merk's suggestion of reading day 1, and that is what I am going to do. Once I get home in about a half hour I'll post my thoughts on Met, Amoeba, Numerrik and whoever else gives me bad vibes.

I just really don't want you guys to get carried away trying to predict the scum player's strategy.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Ernie. posted:

Isn't a hider basically a godfather in this setup?

Why wouldn't a townie hider not just hide and hopefully waste a scum night kill?

Numerrik could probably make up a few reasons, including he cant hid on consecutive nights or he has to pick a target to hide behind. Either way he could come up with some excuse so it's not really relevant in my opinion.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Met: Like I've said, reads genuine to me so I'm only going to consider Met later in the game if it gets to that.

Mc ED: Fairly awkward at points. Probably just a newer player thing. Not really getting a lying vibe or a faking content vibe either.

Numerrik: Low content, little reasoning. Also new.

poo poo. If I wasn't looking at them due to process of elimination I wouldn't be bothered looking at them at all.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Numerrik would ping me if he wasn't new.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

When it comes down to it, I'd only be willing to ##vote numerrik today because I'm bad at mafia and trust Murmer, Somber, Ernie, Hal, Rurea, Met and Mc ED.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
MC Eating Disorder

I just read MCED and he feels not-scum to me. His posts seem largely based on his emotions regarding being cased (frustration, anger at TheRam) and, to me, seem like it'd be pretty tough/non-intuitive for a newer scum to fake that. He seems like he's paying attention to the game and making an effort to hunt scum - he isn't someone I'd want to vote today.

That said, an admittedly-flimsy theory (that I want to put out there because why not?):

My flavour is a chaos dragon btw which is still a very odd choice for town but like I said I don't actually mind eating it to remove ambiguity since I can't think of a way for it to help us without discussing my targets openly ahead of time which makes it easy for scum to play around

So a heads up I HAVE to busdrive someone each night so if anyone has any requests or friendly advice on who NOT to bus drive I'm open to suggestions

Otherwise I'm just gonna start picking people at random and saying who it was at the start of each day

I anticipate nothing can go wrong with this

I don't know where Opop stands on flavor tying to the game, but a chaos dragon that has to busdrive every night sounds way more like a self-aligned 3P than a townie to me.

MCED - Are you a Survivor? (If you were a 3p, would you tell us?)

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'd reckon that Opop follows the general rule of 3 scum and 1 3P in a 15 player game.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

What kind of sissy dragon hides?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

What kind of sissy dragon hides, indeed!

HAL

Hal Incandenza posted:

I'm pretty good at fakeclaiming

I believe you! So I decided to pick your claim post apart. Here's a theory:

Hal Incandenza posted:

I'll claim, you may decide to kill me over it, but if you do you can at least still get something out of it.

I'm a poisonbomb/poisoner. Kind of a weird town role. If I am hammered, the hammerer is poisoned and dies the end of the next day.

Hal says that he would be open to being lunched (appearing pro-town in the process)...but then claims a role that makes it unlikely that anyone will actually volunteer to hammer him.

quote:

Alternately I can poison someone at night (and they die at the end of the next day). It's one-shot, if I poison at night I lose the poisonbomb.
True story, Opop forgot to send my alignment in the original PM and I assumed I was 3rd party or scum until he sent another PM that was like "oh by the way you are town"

He sets up the "if I was scum I would have poisoned N1" defense...then drops an antecdote that makes him sound genuine (even though that story could be true even if he were scum).

quote:

Anyway, it doesn't sound like a town role so if you want to kill me I understand, just make sure your second scum choice is forced to hammer me.

That being said, if I was scum I would almost certainly have just poisoned someone last night.

Another reminder that his actions are pro-town followed by logic that helps paint him as town (that he would have poisoned). I've never seen an Absorber before, but a quick google search (Mafiawiki) says "A popular alteration for Anti-Town Absorbers involves letting them take on the role traits of the players they use their factional kill on, instead of whoever targets them". An entirely plausible scenario would be that CPig performed the kill to attempt to steal a power, and that Scum Hal decided to sit on the poison for later knowing that his passive role would be pro-scum if he was lynched.

Hal - prove me wrong! Then case someone.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Forgot to mention - maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like there's an impression that if Merk dies tonight, Hal is cleared. It's entirely plausible that he's telling the truth about his role but lying about his alignment.

If I was the only one that was thinking that (before casing Hal), my bad.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

If merk dies, Hal is telling the truth about his role. I have been thinking it would clear him because I don't know why he'd reveal an additional kill power if he were scum. AND if he could use the posion and do a night kill on the same night he'd be more likely to save it till juuust before LYLO so that we vote someone out expecting to be in LYLO the next day, then BAM we lose.

I dunno. I don't think Hal would have claimed as he did as scum.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

Hal says that he would be open to being lunched

if he was lynched.

As an aside: I give up. I feel stupid saying "lunched" and I can't stick to it with any consistency. I'm switching back to "lynched" with the cavaet that if anyone really cares they're welcome to hit me up via PM and we can discuss it.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, I stopped using that word and instead use vote out. I should stop using LYLO and go with VOLO.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Murmur Twin posted:

Hal says that he would be open to being lunched (appearing pro-town in the process)...but then claims a role that makes it unlikely that anyone will actually volunteer to hammer him.

*raises hand*

I don't like saying how I'm ok with getting lynched because I think it gives scum an easy target but if we do decide to lunch Hal I think it should be me

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Just so we are clear... my power was one-shot, so you can safely do whatever makes you feel most comfortable to me today.

I will make some cases for you in the morning MT, just have to go to sleep now.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also once again I feel compelled to clarify I am not saying "lunched" on purpose my phone just literally does not think it is likely that I would use "lynched" instead of lunched which is nice I guess and a sign that racism is over and we are all lunchists now

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Murmur Twin posted:

MC Eating Disorder

no and no btw

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
now that I say that 2 hours after a joke post though I'm sort of imagining a situation where I was and I was watching a game like this and just constantly try to sow misconception gleefully as the town tears itself to pieces looking for the last piece of scum though and it really fuckin owns in my imagination so I don't want to rule it out now that you bring it up

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
please forget I ever said this cause I feel like its kind of doing what I just described, but if I die anytime soon, when I flip town (which I will) please pretend a secret envelope on my person spills out and inside it is a note that says "but what about a 2nd, scum aligned busdriver as WELL"

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I wish I'd thought to ask a mod if I could actually just do that sorry for playing mafia baked guys

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
sorry I forgot what I was talking about he's a survivor aligned busdriver obv

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
just for the rest of the game keep the deniro movie based off this game of mafia if I'm right in your minds where it can't affect your decision making skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

MC Eating Disorder

I don't know where Opop stands on flavor tying to the game, but a chaos dragon that has to busdrive every night sounds way more like a self-aligned 3P than a townie to me.

Hmmm..

as the dude currently leading the vote count I feel like I should say no but I'm pretty keen as long as I get to have a meltdown before I get hammered

and no I don't give a gently caress if this is a dumb or bad town tactic because a) I'm pretty sure I"m already dead and b) its just a game guys!

Look I'm going back to bed this game flares up at retarded times for me and I don't wanna deal with it right now but lunch me if you want ram, you're just gonna look like even more of an idiot in 5 hours

I mean I'd like to be useful and I'm sorry for having a meltdown on OxyContin at 4 am and making d1 even more of a crapshoot but we're ahead now and if lynching me removes any ambiguity I'm all for it

If we genuinely have no good leads today I don't mind being a token lynch to take my power out of consideration and also because I haven't been particularly active but if we have a solid rolecop that can help us and I didn't somehow gently caress with it I'm all ears.

*raises hand*

I don't like saying how I'm ok with getting lynched because I think it gives scum an easy target but if we do decide to lunch Hal I think it should be me

please forget I ever said this cause I feel like its kind of doing what I just described, but if I die anytime soon, when I flip town (which I will) please pretend a secret envelope on my person spills out and inside it is a note that says "but what about a 2nd, scum aligned busdriver as WELL"

I think MCED wants to be lynched (or killed during the day) to satisfy his win condition.

• Locked thread