Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Nth Doctor posted:

My church's council just passed a policy tonight clearing the building and our pastors to perform any marriage ceremony that is legal in the state of Michigan. Feels good to win that one ahead of June's ruling. :unsmith:
That's awesome. :unsmith: indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lycus posted:

There's that loving conservative persecution complex again. You won't be getting a prison sentence at all "because of who you are".

Suddenly he walks closer to the Lord.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Does god give a gently caress what we smoke, too? God needs a drat hobby.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

ColdPie posted:

Well, Mormon god certainly does. YGMV.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ColdPie posted:

His hobby is playing sim city. Did I just blow your mind?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

RagnarokAngel posted:

SimEarth PLEASE. Wanna see dem intelligent trilobytes.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Actually it's Cities: Skylines now. Sim City is a front for the Family Research Council.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

"G.et R.id of I.srael D.ecisively"?

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Who What Now posted:

"G.et R.id of I.srael D.ecisively"?

Probably Gay-Related Immune Deficiency

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I like mine better. :(

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Presbyterian Church USA (1.8M members) approves same sex marriage posted:

The final approval by a majority of the church’s 171 regional bodies, known as presbyteries, enshrines a change recommended last year by the church’s General Assembly. The vote amends the church’s constitution to broaden marriage from being between “a man and a woman” to “two people, traditionally a man and a woman.”

The Presbytery of the Palisades, meeting in Fair Lawn, N.J., put the ratification count over the top on Tuesday on a voice vote. With many presbyteries still left to vote, the tally late Tuesday stood at 87 presbyteries in favor, 41 against and one tied.
:toot:

Out of date graphic but close enough.

The United Methodist Church (5.5M members) will vote in May over gay clergy and allowing clergy to officiate same sex weddings.

e:

quote:

Marriage is a gift God has given to all humankind for the wellbeing of the entire human family. Marriage involves a unique commitment between two people, traditionally a man and a woman, to love and support each other for the rest of their lives. The sacrificial love that unites the couple sustains them as faithful and responsible members of the church and the wider community.

In civil law, marriage is a contract that recognizes the rights and obligations of the married couple in society. In the Reformed tradition, marriage is also a covenant in which God has an active part, and which the community of faith publicly witnesses and acknowledges.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 18, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

:toot:

Out of date graphic but close enough.

The United Methodist Church (5.5M members) will vote in May over gay clergy and allowing clergy to officiate same sex weddings.

e:

Conservative Judaism (best Judaism) also approves same-sex marriage

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Conservative Judaism (best Judaism) also approves same-sex marriage

That's in the chart.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

e:

I was raised in the UMC but have fallen out of touch. What do you see as the likely outcome?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Freudian posted:

That's in the chart.

whoops

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't think it was posted, but the federal judge in Alabama Monday refused another request for a stay on issuing marriages in the state. As far as I can tell though, she is not doing anything to reprimand the Alabama SC for clearly defying her order.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Pope Guilty posted:

I was raised in the UMC but have fallen out of touch. What do you see as the likely outcome?

I very rarely go to one in Alabama, but it seems largely devoid of young people and liberals. Then again this is Alabama. The rotating pastors there seemed pretty cool, but had terribly boring folksy sermons that would end with some sap story like "and that homeless man was Jesus".

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think it was posted, but the federal judge in Alabama Monday refused another request for a stay on issuing marriages in the state. As far as I can tell though, she is not doing anything to reprimand the Alabama SC for clearly defying her order.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/258953112/1-14-cv-00424-88
http://www.scribd.com/doc/259073763/1-14-cv-00424-89

So not a lawyer, but my limited understanding is that she is going to consider a class action against Alabama which would open the way to an injunction forcing the state's hand. Is this right?

Is this the best/her only course of action? I think all of us non-lawyers want her to go "raar shut up Alabama" but is this simply not possible?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Schism. I grew up in the UMC, and my mother is fairly active in the church, and the impression I get is there is a really good chance that the church will vote to be cool with the gays, followed by a lot of the uptight antigay older crown splitting off.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
[quote="UltimoDragonQuest" post=""4428765"]
[/quote]
I think this vote only has to do with whether pastors who are LGBT or officiate at same sex marriages would be punished.
I don't think a broader church vote on allowing LGBT pastors and same sex marriages can come until the 2016 General Conference.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Pope Guilty posted:

Schism. Last General Conference there was almost a riot and they had to clear the hall of delegates. The African delegates are strongly against it and are one of the only branches with net membership growth so they have a lot of clout.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Keep in mind, that's the PCUSA, not the PCA. There was a Presbyterian schism at some point, because Protestants love them some schisms.

greatn posted:

I very rarely go to one in Alabama, but it seems largely devoid of young people and liberals. Then again this is Alabama. The rotating pastors there seemed pretty cool, but had terribly boring folksy sermons that would end with some sap story like "and that homeless man was Jesus".

Depends wildly on the church. The one I go to is in a college town, so there's plenty of young people.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

Keep in mind, that's the PCUSA, not the PCA. There was a Presbyterian schism at some point, because Protestants love them some schisms.

Basically, the country's largest Presbyterian denomination split over the civil war. The southern church split again in 1971, between liberals and conservatives. (and civil rights) The liberal part of the southern church rejoined the northern church in 1983.
The northern+southern liberal church is PCUSA (1.7 million)
the southern conservative church is PCA (the next largest Presbyterian sect, at .3 million)

PCUSA, PCCSA, PCUS, PCA, UPCNA, UPCUSA.

In 1861, the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America split into:
The Presbyterian Church in the United States of America
and
The Presbyterian Church in the Confederate States of America; later called the Presbyterian Church in the United States
over slavery (primarily)

In 1971 the Presbyterian Church in the United States (the Southern ones) split again, into:
Presbyterian Church in the United States
and
The Presbyterian Church in America
over civil rights and the ordination of women (primarily)

In 1983 the United Presbyterian Church in the United States of America (formed in 1958 by merging the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America with the United Presbyterian Church of North America in 1958) (The UPCNA was itself was the merger of the Associate Presbyterian Church and the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church)
merged with
Presbyterian Church in the United States (the southern liberals)
to become:
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)

See also,
The People's Front of Judea

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Every time I see the PCUSA mentioned in this thread I misread it and wonder why the Communist Party of the USA's position on gay marriage is relevant to the discussion.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

UCC is so into same-sex marriage, our commercials were boycotted on a couple stations in the Twin Cities. It's pretty great.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TARDISman posted:

UCC is so into same-sex marriage, our commercials were boycotted on a couple stations in the Twin Cities. It's pretty great.

When I was a kid we moved from a Congregational church to a UCC church and I remember thinking they were so backwards for saying "trespasses and those who trespass against us" instead of "debts and debtors".

In retrospect they also say "glory be to the creator" instead of "to the father" and I was weirdly conservative as a kid so I guess the UCC is p cool.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

When I was a kid we moved from a Congregational church to a UCC church and I remember thinking they were so backwards for saying "trespasses and those who trespass against us" instead of "debts and debtors".

In retrospect they also say "glory be to the creator" instead of "to the father" and I was weirdly conservative as a kid so I guess the UCC is p cool.

I grew up in a (NACCC) Congregationalist church, too. I'm in a slightly more regimented denomination now, and things like having an active regional hierarchy blow my mind.
My wife, on the other hand, grew up Catholic and she thinks it's fantastic anarchy.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: We tortured some folks > Which Church Will Adam & Steve Get Married At?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://vimeo.com/43223395 @ 3:58

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Its debts/debtors in Scotland and trespasses/trespassers in England because Scotland traditionally never had trespass laws; that may explain the difference a bit? I'm probably completely wrong but that's what we are taught here

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

Its debts/debtors in Scotland and trespasses/trespassers in England because Scotland traditionally never had trespass laws; that may explain the difference a bit? I'm probably completely wrong but that's what we are taught here
The original Greek is properly translated as debts. It was translated as trespasses in the Tyndale bible of the early 1500s, possibly because the connotation of [money] debts was too narrow to convey the full meaning of the prayer. The King James version of the bible a century later used debts, but trespasses had become entrenched in the Anglican church's book of common prayer. Calvinist/Reform/Presbyterian churches use debts.
I'm pretty sure the "no law of trespass" bit is bogus.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

joat mon posted:

The original Greek is properly translated as debts. It was translated as trespasses in the Tyndale bible of the early 1500s, possibly because the connotation of [money] debts was too narrow to convey the full meaning of the prayer. The King James version of the bible a century later used debts, but trespasses had become entrenched in the Anglican church's book of common prayer. Calvinist/Reform/Presbyterian churches use debts.

Growing up our church used "Forgive us our sins as we forgive those that sin against us"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

hangedman1984 posted:

Growing up our church used "Forgive us our sins as we forgive those that sin against us"

Both Luke and Matthew have a version of the prayer. Luke's is shorter, but uses "sins" instead of debts or trespasses.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

My sister and I always say "debts and debtors" when we're at other churches. We've gotten dirty looks from my Catholic side of the family and my grandma's Lutheran church. It's pretty fantastic. We also just say "the glory forever" instead of "Forever and ever," which makes sense. Forever's long enough, no need for extra ever.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

IceAgeComing posted:

joat mon posted:

Etc.

Shoot me now.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Looks like CA can't stop the kill the gays bill

Now they start petition signatures (365,000)which would lead the person to most likely getting their rear end kicked

http://sanfrancisco.suntimes.com/sf-news/7/74/118554/shoot-the-gays-initiative/

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 20, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Now they start petition signatures (365,000)which would lead the person to most likely getting their rear end kicked

Yesssssss put it on the 2016 ballot. Dooooooo it! :unsmigghh:

I want to see the Republicans pull their "it's not about hating gays it's about protecting the Christians gays abuse" bullshit when there's a kill-all-gays bill on the ballot.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So here's a dude trying to bring ISIL's version of the dreaded :supaburn:"Sharia Law":supaburn: to California. You guys want to fight the "terrorist sleeper cells" in America? Well then here's the start of one right here, make sure to stop him post-haste.:colbert:

I said it before but loving :lol: at some dude literally trying to one-up ISIS/ISIL by establishing the Christan State in the (united) States, or CSIS.:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fade5 posted:

So here's a dude trying to bring ISIL's version of the dreaded :supaburn:"Sharia Law":supaburn: to California. You guys want to fight the "terrorist sleeper cells" in America? Well then here's the start of one right here, make sure to stop him post-haste.:colbert:

I said it before but loving :lol: at some dude literally trying to one-up ISIS/ISIL by establishing the Christan State in the (united) States, or CSIS.:v:

Most linguists agree that it's best translated the Christian State In San Francisco and LA (CSIL)

• Locked thread