Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Strange Matter posted:

Is there anything in particular that I should be spending Gems on in Pocket Mine 2?

Accessorizing your miner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

On a scale of 5 stars I give it "worst than Ghost Trick".

So.. somewhere around a 4 then? :v:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Baron Snow posted:

So.. somewhere around a 4 then? :v:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Um, holy poo poo. Found out pretty late but Final Fantasy XI on mobile? :psyduck:

If they manage to even halfway pull it off I'll spend an absurd amount of time maxing out every job. FFXI was a blast back in the day with Legion of Goon.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

BGrifter posted:

Um, holy poo poo. Found out pretty late but Final Fantasy XI on mobile? :psyduck:

If they manage to even halfway pull it off I'll spend an absurd amount of time maxing out every job. FFXI was a blast back in the day with Legion of Goon.

Evidently Nexon is making it. This is not a good sign. Also if this game isn't F2P then Square Enix is just throwing money away.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Evidently Nexon is making it. This is not a good sign. Also if this game isn't F2P then Square Enix is just throwing money away.

I've played a few Nexon games on PC they haven't been bad, pretty obvious gambling cash grabs, but RNG real money is kind of par for mobile I can't see how much more scummy you can get. The games from them I've played have all had some interesting mechanics with some flaws but if you overlooked the flaws they were fun. We're talking about a mobile game the bar is already pretty low how do you gently caress it up when porting over an actual MMO?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Welp, I hopped on the Pocket Mine 2 train. I have no idea what I'm doing but blindly whacking blocks, hitting bombs and collecting cards is fun!

My friend code: ntrz5837

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

pixaal posted:

I've played a few Nexon games on PC they haven't been bad, pretty obvious gambling cash grabs, but RNG real money is kind of par for mobile I can't see how much more scummy you can get. The games from them I've played have all had some interesting mechanics with some flaws but if you overlooked the flaws they were fun. We're talking about a mobile game the bar is already pretty low how do you gently caress it up when porting over an actual MMO?

FFXI is unplayable heinous trash. I bet it will do gangbusters on iOS.

E: pocket miner 2 is pretty fun.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
FFXI was the best MMO of its time and has one of the best job systems ever implemented in a RPG, MMO or otherwise. :colbert:

So ready to spend a bazillion hours stabbing Colibri to level my Blue Mage or Dragoon jobs. :getin:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Final Fantasy record keeper is out and from what I can tell from impressions online it's pretty good*. I just did the tutorial and it's what all the bravest should have been in the first place.

*for a freemium game

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

BGrifter posted:

Welp, I hopped on the Pocket Mine 2 train. I have no idea what I'm doing but blindly whacking blocks, hitting bombs and collecting cards is fun!

My friend code: ntrz5837

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3707232

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Nexon made a lot of really poo poo games but Baram got an award back in like 2011 for being the longest running pay-to-play mmorpg so you can't really say they're not committed.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Nexon really, really knows how to make games that appeal to Asian markets. My prediction for FFXI is people in the US market (aside from FF nuts) will hate it and get all mad about free to play elements. Meanwhile, every Asian region with smartphones will become money printing machines for them.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

io_burn posted:

Nexon really, really knows how to make games that appeal to Asian markets. My prediction for FFXI is people in the US market (aside from FF nuts) will hate it and get all mad about free to play elements. Meanwhile, every Asian region with smartphones will become money printing machines for them.

So pretty much like the original FFXI.

I'm so psyched for this. :getin:

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

BGrifter posted:

So pretty much like the original FFXI.

I'm so psyched for this. :getin:

Basically :v:

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

Has anyone checked out Final Fantasy Record Keeper? I wanted to check it out, but will probably wait until this weekend if it has that Monster Strike "reroll for best gacha pull" for your first premium pull. Looks like the premium currency buys weapons, and the characters are earned through playing.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

io_burn posted:

This is probably supremely accurate. I wonder why this is?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

UScr00ge posted:

Has anyone checked out Final Fantasy Record Keeper? I wanted to check it out, but will probably wait until this weekend if it has that Monster Strike "reroll for best gacha pull" for your first premium pull. Looks like the premium currency buys weapons, and the characters are earned through playing.

It's Brave Frontier:Final Fantasy edition

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

DrManiac posted:

Final Fantasy record keeper is out and from what I can tell from impressions online it's pretty good*. I just did the tutorial and it's what all the bravest should have been in the first place.

*for a freemium game

Dammit it's not an iPad game so gotta play it all weird.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Rexicon1 posted:

Dammit it's not an iPad game so gotta play it all weird.
It's listed as universal, did they format it in an odd way?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Did anyone post some quick tips for Pocket Mine 2? Just trying to figure out what to invest my green cubes/gems in starting out.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

BGrifter posted:

Did anyone post some quick tips for Pocket Mine 2? Just trying to figure out what to invest my green cubes/gems in starting out.
Save your green cubes for crafting the legendary/epic cards you want, they'll go super quickly and it's not worth wasting them on early stage cards, since cards with the same effects don't stack. For example, Super Bomb obsoletes the common Bomb Crate, so it's a waste to craft a bunch of Bomb Crate cards, since you'll never get those cubes back. Use your gems to keep yourself stocked on keys and to open up one or two custom fitouts (which you'll want to use exclusively in lieu of the random outfit once you get any decent cards or equipment). You might want to save some gems to get the last push through some particularly tough levels, too.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Lancelot posted:

Save your green cubes for crafting the legendary/epic cards you want, they'll go super quickly and it's not worth wasting them on early stage cards, since cards with the same effects don't stack. For example, Super Bomb obsoletes the common Bomb Crate, so it's a waste to craft a bunch of Bomb Crate cards, since you'll never get those cubes back. Use your gems to keep yourself stocked on keys and to open up one or two custom fitouts (which you'll want to use exclusively in lieu of the random outfit once you get any decent cards or equipment). You might want to save some gems to get the last push through some particularly tough levels, too.

Thanks! Should I be opening chests at random or saving my keys for something special? Are there any must have Legendary cards I should prioritize? (I've got Super Drill and Coal Frenzy so far) Would it be beneficial to craft dupes to level up the Legendaries I have over buying new ones once I have a set of three I like?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

BGrifter posted:

Thanks! Should I be opening chests at random or saving my keys for something special? Are there any must have Legendary cards I should prioritize? (I've got Super Drill and Coal Frenzy so far) Would it be beneficial to craft dupes to level up the Legendaries I have over buying new ones once I have a set of three I like?
Chests are random, but it seems like the quality of the equipment scales as you progress through the levels (which makes sense). I think the cards you want to prioritise depends on what items you like to mess with, but you can always click "show missing" in the cards view to see all the cards you don't have. Yeah, since you can only stock three cards, once you figure out a combo you like then it makes sense to boost their effects as high as you can by crafting dupes and fusing.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

BGrifter posted:

I'd say save the gems to unlock characters, the upper levels get really tight without some special characters (I'm looking at you Demolition Dan). Using one or two to finish a tough level is good, but after a while you'll have keys out the rear end.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What's another good character after Dan? I was thinking the one knight that increases the rarity of gear in chests. I haven't unlocked all the characters yet but the chuthlu guy could be powerful too.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Rexicon1 posted:

This is probably supremely accurate. I wonder why this is?

Massive, massive cultural differences in what Eastern and Western gamers want and enjoy along with how and when they play games. Right now a big trend in Asian free to play games are games with an auto-play button. Western gamers look at that poo poo and understandably scoff before saying "What's the point of even PLAYING a game if it plays itself?!" but the people that are fueling millions into these games are Asian business types working in an office somewhere who via auto-play mechanics feel like they're getting a "full" gameplay experience via 5 seconds of interactivity with the game. Your game will basically bomb in China if it doesn't have auto-play.

This kind of massive cultural schism is why you really rarely see any of the ultra-Asian games do very well in US markets. Most publishers merely localize their games instead of also rebalance them for local gaming culture. There is however a company that sort of aims to change this called NetEase which is another one of those massive Chinese megacorps looking to take on the western market. The big difference with them is they're giving their US team the ability to cherrypick what will do well in the US market and retool it enough to make American/European gamers want to play it. We'll see what happens, as I don't really know what to say about the game they showed me at GDC aside from "Oh... well... ok."

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I don't know why everyone is overthinking it. Just replace "Auto-play" with "Tap Endlessly", and you've got a hit!

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Haven't seen Cthulu, but if he has the same ability (radar for empty spaces) then he's worth it! Being able to beeline for empty spaces is pretty great.

I'm not super far yet, but here's my opinion of every character I've unlocked.

Jane - Rarer artefacts : Kind of useful, but you will eventually max out the higher tier artifacts anyway. Grab Bonus Artifact Chance, Crate Radar, and More Treasure Crates and you'll rake in two dozen artifacts a run (admittedly, 50% of which are commons)
Brock - 10% chance to cancel pick damage on hit : Who cares? This theoretically stacks with Pick Durability multiplicatively, but the percent chance is so low as to be garbage.
Digtron 2000 - Magnet effect : Cheap and the effect is nice for farming. Honestly your character moves fast enough I can't imagine magnet being more useful than just walking over.
Polly - Detect chests : You're gated more by keys than by chests appearing.
Demolition Dan - 2 grenades on opening crates : Gold standard to get really deep! Definitely worth it.
Sven - Pick durability + 20% : Nice, but not worth 100 gems. Get Dan.
Greedy Goblin - Gold income + 20% : Sure? He's pretty cheap, but even as a money accelerator I'm not sure he's worth it. The 20% is additive, so any X Salesman cards don't multiply multiplicatively with his boost.
Sassy - Can hit after pick is broken : Hit means you can still dig away dirt block and open special crates. Guarantees that you'll get to 200m, but after that stone blocks dominate to the point it's hard to progress.
Knight Hunter - Find more chests : Who cares?
Joey - Occasionally breaks chests for free : As far as I can tell the chance of doing this is like around 10-20% which saves you like 5 pick durability over one run. Woo
Knight Penny - Rarer gear in chests : Nice, but you don't need to buy her to use her special ability, as so far I haven't see any equipment that affects chest drops. Don't buy, just play her level.
Horu-Chan - More experience : Another one of those 'play her level if you really need her special'
Aziz - Chance to find two items in chests : Same as Knight Penny -- cool effect but you might as well just play his level over buying him.

So all of this is to say that spend 50 gems on Demolition Dan, and then just pick whoever. Jane is cheap and might help filling out collections faster, Sassy is fun but not as useful as Dan, or save up for one of the five dudes I haven't unlocked yet?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

RoboCicero posted:

Haven't seen Cthulu, but if he has the same ability (radar for empty spaces) then he's worth it! Being able to beeline for empty spaces is pretty great.

He does have the "can detect empty spaces" ability, and yeah, it's a pretty useful ability.

A few more:

Jinn - Chance to trigger shockwave on hit, which clears 3-4 blocks in whichever direction that character is "facing". Kind of useful, I suppose, though the proc rate is fairly low.
Sam - All timed effects last longer. Potentially useful if you like powerups like Precious Touch, I guess.
Candy - Chance to drop Crystal on hit. Who cares.
Marlin - Chance to trigger lightning on hit (similar to the lightning crate ability). Too random for me.

quote:

Knight Penny - Rarer gear in chests : Nice, but you don't need to buy her to use her special ability, as so far I haven't see any equipment that affects chest drops.

There's gear out there - I have a pair of Legendary gloves that gives me a 10% chance of double chest drops, and a Legendary hat that gives 20% rarer gear drops.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

RoboCicero posted:

Knight Penny - Rarer gear in chests : Nice, but you don't need to buy her to use her special ability, as so far I haven't see any equipment that affects chest drops. Don't buy, just play her level.

Yeah detect empty spaces is his ability.

Didn't think I could just play Penny's level. Haha what dope.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

RoboCicero posted:

So all of this is to say that spend 50 gems on Demolition Dan, and then just pick whoever. Jane is cheap and might help filling out collections faster, Sassy is fun but not as useful as Dan, or save up for one of the five dudes I haven't unlocked yet?
Now let's talk about gear and cards - do stats on the gear stack with other gear, do stats on cards stack with other cards. Do stats on gear stack with stats on cards (and vice versa)?

I'm in the Ancient Swamp - blew all my sweet sweet crystals on crap instead of Dan, and am having a hellish time trying to get to the 420 meter mark.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

porktree posted:

do stats on the gear stack with other gear,

Yes.

quote:

do stats on cards stack with other cards.

No. (The highest bonus takes precedence.)

quote:

Do stats on gear stack with stats on cards (and vice versa)?

Yes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Some Record Keeper Tips: (going by my experiences playing the Japanese version for awhile now)
- Don't go heavy on the gacha for now if you can help it. If you can manage to get up to 50 mithril for an 11 pull that'd be ideal but the going could be a bit rough in the meanwhile.
- Levels are huge early on, especially since your gear will be garbage unless you just whaled to get everyone a bunch of relics even though the current gacha has so few 5 star items in it.
- Cloud is awesome and unless you run an entire team that's game-specific he'll be your main melee guy until you can get characters like Sephiroth and DK/Paladin Cecils from their event dungeons.
- Tidus is good too and he's being given away to new players as part of the game's launch apparently.
- Event dungeons are always worth running for their character (and lvl crystal once those are added later) if you can manage it.
- Blade Bash's stun can work on a surprising amount of bosses (it's got a very low success rate though)
- Boost is also awesome and you should have it on Tyro so he can boost cloud/tidus/kain/warrior's atk against bosses.
- Buffing on wave 1/3 or 2/3 will let those buffs carry over to the boss you're about to fight on wave 3/3 (the duration doesn't reset afaik).
- If you crash or "crash" in a fight reloading the app lets you restart your combat's round from the beginning.
-- If you crash when as boss is dying congratulations! You get to fight him all over.
- White Mage and Black Mage are as terrible as they look, ditch the Blakc Mage for kid Rydia at the least and the White Mage for Lenna. Lenna's limit is better than the AOE heal at higher levels too.
- Damage and defense scale fast. A character with 50 atk might do 200 dmg to an enemy while someone with 100 atk does 500+ to them.
- Don't go overboard combining 1 and 2 rarity junk early on. You'll want the money for making (and upgrading) skills and that extra 2-3 atk/def is going to mean less against most hard fights than an extra couple skill uses.

Really the gacha for relics is terrible early on. Cloud's Buster Sword is always going to be in there and even with rate up it's only a few percent chance to get a 5 star item. You can (and will) do 11 item pulls and get only 3-4 star items unless DeNA changed the mechanics for this English release.

JazzFlight posted:

It's listed as universal, did they format it in an odd way?

Record Keeper runs terribly on my iPad mini, while I can run it on a 4S without any issues.

e: Record Keeper's got some mechanics in it that the Japanese version didn't have until after launch (growth eggs, for example). Hopefully it gets more caught up to the Japanese version since the one-time tasks are nice for getting extra mithril and we all could use Golbez and his relic axe's shadow dragon special attack. :black101:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 26, 2015

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

Cool. I ended up trying it out. I read on Neogaf that the tutorial pull has a max of 3 stars, so I guess there's no point in deleting the app and rerolling over and over, right? Especially so if the 5 star rate Is so low.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

UScr00ge posted:

Cool. I ended up trying it out. I read on Neogaf that the tutorial pull has a max of 3 stars, so I guess there's no point in deleting the app and rerolling over and over, right? Especially so if the 5 star rate Is so low.

I can't think of any DeNa game where the opening pull isn't fixed to a very limited mediocre to good pool, I wouldn't waste any time trying to reroll.

Also this game runs just fine and the interface doesn't seem weird on my iPad Air :shrug: maybe I'm missing something though.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What is the Summoner Wars thread

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

RoboCicero posted:

Aziz - Chance to find two items in chests : Same as Knight Penny -- cool effect but you might as well just play his level over buying him.
Aziz is great, stacking him with "Rarer stuff in chests" gear and "Chance for double items in chests" makes him such a valuable way to spend keys; having 3 things come out of one chest is great.

All my keys go through him unless I misstap with someone else.

I use Jane, Dan, and Digitron for the others; the magnet robot is great if you are doing screen wide clears with maxed Superbomb and %Bombs have Precious Touch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What is the Summoner Wars thread

Here you go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Original_Z posted:

My favorite touch arcade review will always be block legend. The game launched in a completely broken state with many flaws that made the game nearly unplayable...5 stars! I think their logic was that the game was bound to be patched into something amazing eventually! I'm not sure if that even happened.

it was recently given a steam release.