Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Devoyniche posted:

I am interested in getting a grinder, but I pretty much only drink French Press. I see people recommend the Baraza Encore, or the Capresso Infinity as "starting" grinders that are still good - I don't really want to get a crappy grinder because I used to use the grinder the grocery store had but when I switched to buying straight from the roaster and having them grind it for me, the difference in the way it tasted when you made coffee was amazing. Their grind was a little bit finer, but more even and the cup had a much richer body and smoother taste, so I assume the grind is affecting that. But even buying from them, by the end of the bag, the coffee is a little bit stale, and I'm kind of interested in roasting my own beans which means I would need a grinder anyway.

So which is better? Occasionally I will make coffee for other people, so I do want it to be able to make decent "drip coffee" but that's not a huge concern. Does having more "steps" of grinding mean it is more precise or is that just dick measuring? The baraza says it has 40 and the infinity only has 16, but I'm really only planning on using two or three. I am also wondering if a refurbished model has a greater likelihood of breaking down or breaking down again, how important is stuff like that, and how much of it is "snobbery"?

The main advantage to buying brand new is that you can have it in two days from Amazon, whereas on Baratza's refurb site, who knows how long you'll wait. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurb grinder from them.

Ideally, theoretically, more steps is better, because it allows you to tune your grind. I have read some folks complain that one step on an Infinity was too fine for their brewing method, and the next one up was too coarse. Will this actually be a problem for you? Probably not, but it might depend on what your drip brewer is, what filter you use in it, etc.

Google Butt asked the most important question. If you think you're gonna get more into coffee and might eventually start brewing more than two different ways, and if you can swing the extra cash, a refurb Baratza Virtuoso 586 (with the newer Preciso burrs) is a pretty solid option and will handle pretty much anything you would want to throw at it. It also performs better for coarser grinds than the Infinity or the Encore, and since the press pot is your primary method of brewing, that may make it worth the extra dollars for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Haggins posted:

That sounds good to me. Spending $500 on a grinder makes my stomach turn but I can handle sub 200. That also means I can start experimenting with all the delicious coffee available in this city sooner.

I'm kind of thinking about getting an electric kettle with temperature settings since I'm a big tea drinker as well. I always keep a gallon or two of sweet tea in the fridge and I get on a hot loose leaf kick every now and then.

I got one of these a year ago, it's incredible. http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Vari...electric+kettle

The Cuisinart is cool too( I got one for Christmas because my parents didn't know I already bought a Bonavita), especially if you are making coffee for guests or if you sometimes like to brew iced tea- the extra capacity is awesome. The control you get on your pour with the gooseneck is amazing though, and the digital temp adjustment as opposed to the presets really lets you tinker around and make the perfect cup. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either of them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Devoyniche posted:

I am interested in getting a grinder, but I pretty much only drink French Press. I see people recommend the Baraza Encore, or the Capresso Infinity as "starting" grinders that are still good - I don't really want to get a crappy grinder because I used to use the grinder the grocery store had but when I switched to buying straight from the roaster and having them grind it for me, the difference in the way it tasted when you made coffee was amazing. Their grind was a little bit finer, but more even and the cup had a much richer body and smoother taste, so I assume the grind is affecting that. But even buying from them, by the end of the bag, the coffee is a little bit stale, and I'm kind of interested in roasting my own beans which means I would need a grinder anyway.

So which is better? Occasionally I will make coffee for other people, so I do want it to be able to make decent "drip coffee" but that's not a huge concern. Does having more "steps" of grinding mean it is more precise or is that just dick measuring? The baraza says it has 40 and the infinity only has 16, but I'm really only planning on using two or three. I am also wondering if a refurbished model has a greater likelihood of breaking down or breaking down again, how important is stuff like that, and how much of it is "snobbery"?
The Baraza will be better, but not so much because of the steps, but the quality of the burrs and adjustment, leading it to be more precise (more uniform grind). The difference is there. Is it worth the price? Maybe. With a refurb, the price difference is minimal.
The Barazas also "feel" better built (though I'm not sure if that makes them more reliable. They're also basically completely rebuildable with spare parts they sell.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

becoming posted:

The other consideration is heat loss. If you're brewing two tasse cups of coffee, everything else being equal, coffee will be hotter/closer to optimal brewing temperature in a two-cup press than it will be in a twelve-cup press. This can be mitigated somewhat by getting a well-insulated press pot, but you will still lose heat to the extra air in the pot.

Couldn't you mitigate this by pressing the plunger down to just above the water level while brewing? I've never thought to try that, not sure if it makes much difference either way.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

Couldn't you mitigate this by pressing the plunger down to just above the water level while brewing? I've never thought to try that, not sure if it makes much difference either way.

Somewhat, sure. Heat is still gonna rise off of the coffee and through the plunger, though. I have both a Frieling press pot (insulated lid) and an Espro (non-insulated lid) and the difference in temperature of the brewed coffee is noticeable, all other things being equal. I would think that the plunger will do an ever poorer job than the Espro lid/plunger combination, but that's just an educated guess - I haven't gone and measured with a thermometer or anything. Perhaps that's the next test.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Since we are talking grinders...I have a Breville Smart Grinder. What would be a good step up from that? The coarsest setting is too fine for french press so looking to upgrade.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

thebehaviorist posted:

Since we are talking grinders...I have a Breville Smart Grinder. What would be a good step up from that? The coarsest setting is too fine for french press so looking to upgrade.

Yeah that's the one real downfall of that grinder. After they shimmed it to grind finer for espresso, it's now a hair too fine for French press. I still use it for it, but I cut my brew time down to compensate. You're still left with a bit more sediment than normal, but I just make sure not to drink it.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

whoa what's that mat? I have been unsuccessfully fighting the scourge of chaff since I got my Baratza

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Laminator posted:

whoa what's that mat? I have been unsuccessfully fighting the scourge of chaff since I got my Baratza

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

quote:

Coffee consumption reduces the risk of liver cancer, but also that of multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease.

Scientists are not yet certain why coffee seems to keep tamed these conditions, but as indicated by this new study, the rates of cancer were 29% lower in coffee drinkers when contrasted with non-coffee consumers.

You know what to do boys and girls

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Google Butt posted:

You know what to do boys and girls

Does this count decaf? Or just real coffee?

My father only drinks fake coffee these days and I'm wondering if I need to expect him to take up real coffee again.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I've started drinking sparkling water with my coffee at home (alternating between the two), and I've gotta say, it really improves the experience. Makes every sip taste like the first sip.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I just started making coffee with a Kalita Wave and on my second bag of beans I got an extraction much shorter than my last bag (around 2:30-2:45 vs about 3:30). If I like the way it tastes anyway am I doing anything 'wrong' with this?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

inferis posted:

If I like the way it tastes anyway am I doing anything 'wrong'?

Nope. Rule #1 is: if you like the way it tastes, you're doing it right.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
So long as you're enjoying it, the only wrong way to drink coffee is with a Keurig :colbert:

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

dik-dik posted:

I've started drinking sparkling water with my coffee at home (alternating between the two), and I've gotta say, it really improves the experience. Makes every sip taste like the first sip.

My local roaster makes cold brew coffee with sparkling water. It's like coffee soda. If you're in to that.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

dik-dik posted:

Nope. Rule #1 is: if you like the way it tastes, you're doing it right.

My preferred local shop (Prufrock) got some Rwandan beans in recently from Drop Coffee in Stockholm and they tasted utterly amazing through multiple different pour-over methods - incredibly light and floral with really refreshing acidity. I ended up going to Stockholm for a weekend break a short while afterwards and dropped into their cafe and got hugely disappointed when I got some pour-over from there. Swedes like their pour-over strong and concentrated, way different to the lighter, more fragrant way pour-over tends to go in London.

Everyone has their own ideal taste of coffee, whether that's strong/concentrated/bitter or light/fragrant/floral; so long as you make coffee that satisfies you then that's all that matters.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

kim jong-illin posted:

My preferred local shop (Prufrock) got some Rwandan beans in recently from Drop Coffee in Stockholm and they tasted utterly amazing through multiple different pour-over methods - incredibly light and floral with really refreshing acidity. I ended up going to Stockholm for a weekend break a short while afterwards and dropped into their cafe and got hugely disappointed when I got some pour-over from there. Swedes like their pour-over strong and concentrated, way different to the lighter, more fragrant way pour-over tends to go in London.

Everyone has their own ideal taste of coffee, whether that's strong/concentrated/bitter or light/fragrant/floral; so long as you make coffee that satisfies you then that's all that matters.

Try a coffee from one of the Department of Coffee and Social affairs shops scattered around the city, they've roasted some of my favourite coffees

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

kim jong-illin posted:

I'd add an addendum to that of "as long as they buy coffee at prices that keep farmers producing coffee"

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Eugh I haven't even made pourover in months but now I really want to make this, or something similar (maybe a stand for my already existing pourover brewers):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
That's actually pretty rad and now I want to make something like that to hold my V60.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Any pourover stand that doesn't fit on my scale is of no interest to me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What's wrong with putting the filter funnel on top of the cup? Does a six-inch drop help somehow?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

withak posted:

What's wrong with putting the filter funnel on top of the cup? Does a six-inch drop help somehow?

That particular one just uses a glass funnel and not an actual pourover cone. Some people also like wider cups than the rim on the cone. More than anything I just think it looks cool.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

rockcity posted:

That particular one just uses a glass funnel and not an actual pourover cone. Some people also like wider cups than the rim on the cone. More than anything I just think it looks cool.

I think it looks cool but would splash coffee on my bench top

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

withak posted:

They serve no purpose unless you're making a lot of drinks one after the other. Makes sense in a coffee shop.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

rockcity posted:

Ya, I do too. I'm going to make one. Then I'm going to make a cup of coffee without using a scale from beans I roasted by ear.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
Our Cuisinart coffee maker has finally bit the dust after 4-5 years of daily service, and we're looking to upgrade to something a little nicer. We no longer need the automatic start timer, so I've been looking at the recommended Moccamaster. Is there any particular model that has an advantage over the others? Aside from the thermal carafe they all seem fairly similar.

Zhent fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 4, 2015

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've been struck recently how even dirt-cheap coffee beans in a Mr. Coffee makes pretty good coffee when you use a burr grinder. Bring a burr grinder to work, live better.

Devoyniche posted:

Might be late, but of the two go with the Baratza. My friend has a Baratza and I have a Capresso, and the Baratza's a lot better.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Anyone in the thread have experience with Porlex hand grinders? I'm wondering if they can handle a French Press grind any better than a Hario.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Zhent posted:

Our Cuisinart coffee maker has finally bit the dust after 4-5 years of daily service, and we're looking to upgrade to something a little nicer. We no longer need the automatic start timer, so I've been looking at the recommended Moccamaster. Is there any particular model that has an advantage over the others? Aside from the thermal carafe they all seem fairly similar.

I've got a Moccamaster and it's awesome, but you owe it to yourself to check out the Bonavita BV1900TS. The showerhead on it is apparently a fair bit better at evenly wetting the grounds than the Moccamaster. It's also about $120 less than the Technivorm.

As far as actually answering your question, I'd get thermal carafe over burner, but other than that, I think the differences are cosmetic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dr Cheeto posted:

Anyone in the thread have experience with Porlex hand grinders? I'm wondering if they can handle a French Press grind any better than a Hario.

I have the Porlex mini and after you get past 8 clicks they become really inconsistent. 8 is what i use for the Hario V60.

I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same parts as the Hario mini mill.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 5, 2015

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Bob_McBob posted:

Any pourover stand that doesn't fit on my scale is of no interest to me.

It would take a bit of measuring to make sure it fits on your scale but you could do one that fits with the legs. Hario has one. For my stand I weigh the coffee in the cone prior and then pour into the hario glass thingy. Its volume based so when you get to the 500 line..stop. :) Bronze pipe is expensive as poo poo so I just used some some cheap plywood, screws and bolts. There's a black steel pipe that cafe imports (a green coffee importer) made too. http://www.cafeimports.com/test/2010/03/cafe_imports_pour_over_station_1.php

Steel pipe is cool but I've had a hard time with them. They're a bit too sturdy.

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

"The State of Iowa: let us exceed your already low expectations."

-Raygun T-Shirt
Oh coffee thread, I come to thee in need of assistance, for I cannot make good coffee to save my life. No matter what I seem to do, my coffee has this really strong bitterness that overwhelms all other aspects of flavor. The bitterness is most pronounced in the first sip, and is harder to taste in subsequent sips, but my overall coffee experience still seems unpleasant and not that great. I feel like I'm doing everything right, so I'm just not understanding why my coffee seems bad.

I have a Baratza Encore, model 1EP1SP burr grinder. I have a Bonavita BV1800SS drip brewer.

I measure everything using a digital kitchen scale -- grams for beans, mL for water. I have tried ranging from 1:15 to 1:17 ratio, with little impact on the bitterness. The rest of the flavor changes, though, so I can tell it's different.

I grind the beans immediately before using them. My Baratza has settings 1-40, so I started with 20. Since I thought bitterness meant my grind was too fine, I've been trending coarser and have gone up to 23-25. It's less bitter, but now my coffee is weak, too. I just recently read that I should actually be around 13-15 for automatic drip. I tried it once and the rest of the cup was more developed, but still bitter.

I use fresh water from the tap, and Des Moines Water Works has pretty good tap water.

I've tried all kinds of beans: ranging from macro roasters like Trader Joe's and Dunkin' Donuts all the way down to regional roasters like Kansas City's The Roasterie, and even beans from a local roaster in downtown Des Moines. Oh, and I got some from the Blue Bottle Internet subscription service.

I rinse the paper filter before brewing. I've checked the temperature coming off the shower-head in the Bonavita and it's hitting 198.5 degrees, so that should be right in the ballpark.

I'm just stumped. The only thing I can think of is that my burr grinder must just have some nasty residue on it and I need to get some of those cleaning beans for it. I've taken it apart and cleaned it, of course, but haven't run any of those cleaning things through it. I think they're called "Grindz"? (Ugh, awful name.) I ordered some from Amazon. Are those actually useful or are they more of a placebo effect?

What else am I missing? What should I be trying?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

OK.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 9, 2015

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

BigBadBrewsta posted:

I've tried all kinds of beans: ranging from macro roasters like Trader Joe's and Dunkin' Donuts all the way down to regional roasters like Kansas City's The Roasterie, and even beans from a local roaster in downtown Des Moines. Oh, and I got some from the Blue Bottle Internet subscription service.

What else am I missing? What should I be trying?

Man, I'm sorry you're having such a bummer of a time with that. Must be frustrating as hell. To me bitterness is always from the roasting. Or some crazy sour ethiopian. From my experiences the majority of roasters roast dark and even blue bottle has some roasty coffees. You seem to really understand the brewing aspect so I don't think its there so it makes me think again it's the coffee and roast level. Maybe give someone who really works in the light spectrum a shot? Onyx has a sample box for $25.

http://www.onyxcoffeelab.com/coffee/yuhi0sztqng4qnid5237wxy8e7ohnv

Madcap or Four Barrel too. 4b is a favorite of mine.

https://secure.fourbarrelcoffee.com/coffee/africa/

https://madcapcoffee.com/buy/coffee/kanzu

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

BigBadBrewsta posted:

Oh coffee thread, I come to thee in need of assistance, for I cannot make good coffee to save my life.

I'd try a brew method where grind size does not affect steep time. A french press or the Clever dripper are my two favorites, and I'd recommend the Clever in this instance. Do your normal grind, but adjust steep times, and keep notes. What does it taste like at 2:30 steeping? What about 3:00? 3:30?

Once you are consistently making good coffee this way, then we start playing with grind size to get the proper extraction in your Bonavita.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I have a Porlex Mini and a full size Hario Skerton, because I have a problem.

The floaty burr Porlex I rigged to create a fixed gap in between the burrs by placing a thick rubber band around the burr ring and shoving it into the body, so it is immobile. Also, I wrapped some rubber bands inside the burr cone to limit the amount of play it has when its crushing beans. The setup isn't as good as a decent burr grinder probably, but it is much better than the floaty burr action I see from the Hario and the pre-MacGuyvered Porlex.

And it'll cost you two rubber bands. So go eat some broccoli/asparagus.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I may know the answer to this already, but:

The last few of my roasts have been weird. Not cracking, no chaff, but the beans are browning and seem to be expanding. Taste-wise it's off, too. They taste... organic, if that makes sense. Not coffee organic.

I do heat gun/dog bowl, and haven't changed technique or anything, and I've even asked Sweet Maria's if they've had any complaints about the beans, and after hearing my story they suggest I'm under roasting. I don't taste anything grassy, but I'm thinking maybe the heat gun is toast, even though it seems like it's blowing hot as hell (and readily killed a wasp yesterday).

Any advice from HG/DB bros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Nostratic posted:

I may know the answer to this already, but:

The last few of my roasts have been weird. Not cracking, no chaff, but the beans are browning and seem to be expanding. Taste-wise it's off, too. They taste... organic, if that makes sense. Not coffee organic.

I do heat gun/dog bowl, and haven't changed technique or anything, and I've even asked Sweet Maria's if they've had any complaints about the beans, and after hearing my story they suggest I'm under roasting. I don't taste anything grassy, but I'm thinking maybe the heat gun is toast, even though it seems like it's blowing hot as hell (and readily killed a wasp yesterday).

Any advice from HG/DB bros?

My prime suspect would probably be the heat gun. How old is it?

Maybe grab a new one from Home Depot and see if that fixes it? If not, their return policy is super generous (in my experience) so if you just used it for a roast or two you could probably return it no problem.