Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I was six, it seems. It was also my first numbered Final Fantasy, so I have some fondness for it despite accepting its flaws. Also because Squall is kind of awesome everywhere else, both Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts make him really likable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Hyord posted:

Which of the two do you consider the Squall is Dead theory? (Which, by the way, I believe should be spoiled at the moment, since calling it a theory might suggest that Squall is, in fact, not dead, despite what the cliffhanger we were just left on would lead us to potentially believe.)

I always found it a pretty good way to explain the way the game's plot gets absolutely batshit after Disc 1.

Definitely in the silly category. Like Psion said, it's completely incorrect. It was worth the read, but after the end of it I just gave it a wanking motion. I was all of 5 when FF8 came out, not that it matters. I'd seen Squall in KH1, Chain, KH2, and beaten Inward Chaos with him in Dissidia before I ever bought and completed FF8. He's much better in universes that aren't his own, granted he tends to be end-game Squall

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I was 19. I guess I win. Yay.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Squall Dead is an interesting concept, but not one I buy into just because A) I don't tend to think many video game devs are that clever, and B) the simple economics of someone at Square spilling the beans and causing a mass riot on the internet of outrage that 'none of that happened that's bullshit man'.

Just look at Mass Effect 3's ending fiasco to see how viciously nerds will rage when games don't meet their expectations (full disclosure, I was full crazy pissed at BioWare myself).

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I always thought that the reason for Irvine choking up was that he's a sniper in name only: he's great at shooting at paper targets and stand-ins, but he's never been in an actual combat before, or had to shoot a real human being.

Like someone else said, this is weird, because as a gun user, you would think he would have more actual field experience than a gunblade user. And if he´s the only one in that Garden who knows how to use guns, then what are the other students combat training in? Fisticuffs, like Zell? Melee weapons only? Interpretative dancing? Foul language?

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

Squall Dead is an interesting concept, but not one I buy into just because A) I don't tend to think many video game devs are that clever, and B) the simple economics of someone at Square spilling the beans and causing a mass riot on the internet of outrage that 'none of that happened that's bullshit man'.

Just look at Mass Effect 3's ending fiasco to see how viciously nerds will rage when games don't meet their expectations (full disclosure, I was full crazy pissed at BioWare myself).

I think you're sort of comparing apples and oranges here. People were justifiably upset at the ME3 ending because it basically spat in everyones face and told them your decisions throughout three games meant nothing, please select your favorite colored filter out of three possible choices and enjoy this single ending.

But as long as we're talking about how old we were when the game came out, I guess I'll join in with 9. As embarrassing as this is in hindsight, 9 year old me thought Irvine Kinneas was the epitome of cool. Little did I realize he was actually a cowardly juvenile prone to sexual harassment.

Hyord fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 1, 2015

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I was 25 when FFVIII came out. :corsair:

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

Kal-L posted:

I always thought that the reason for Irvine choking up was that he's a sniper in name only: he's great at shooting at paper targets and stand-ins, but he's never been in an actual combat before, or had to shoot a real human being.

You know, reading this just reminded me that this is a stock character, and it's one that fits with our party full of rookies. Also, Martine says Irvine is an "elite sharpshooter," but Squall is an "elite mercenary". I think that Irvine still was worried about something else, but I don't think it's the whole story.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
For some reason Irvine was my favorite of the main characters. I was just out of college when this came out, and Rinoa set my teeth on edge -- to be fair, as Cool Ghost explores the characters, I can see that the translation did her no favors. Selphie was too bubbly. Squall was - yeah, I was over moody silent protagonists I was supposed to fall in love with. Zell was immature and blurted out stuff he shouldn't have. Quistis was hung up on Squall and I could not fathom why she wanted to go back and apologize to Rinoa. Irvine is a wanna-be womanizer - as he doesn't actually seem to get his way, he wasn't as bad as someone who actually succeeded. (To me. Movies and TV shows have probably warped me, as wanna-be womanizer is a common character trait.)

But Irvine being unable to take the shot? That I got, through and through. I sympathized with that, in a way I was probably supposed to sympathize with the other characters and didn't. As many others have said, it's one thing to be a crack shot, and another to take a life.

That Squall manages to talk him into trying anyways - that was a great moment for both of them. (And to Irvine's credit, that shot was dead-on.) Really felt that Squall, Rinoa, and Irvine did start to gel as a real team, as Cool Ghost said.

I wish there were more moments like that in the game overall. I have vague recollections that Irvine - when he is not doing the obnoxious womanizing thing - is a pretty chill fellow with good ideas on how to proceed.

Here's hoping I've forgotten some solid character building moments. (And over-remembered Rinoa's later clingy nature, and bizarre character moments and plot points that made no sense.)

Thanks, Cool Ghost.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Cool Ghost posted:

So, this is the "romantic dream" Seifer mentioned during the SeeD exam. But, you may remember this from way back before the Fire Cavern:

Seifer probably saw this movie as a kid and has the sorceress's knight as a heroic figure in his memory, sort of like a kid who wants to be Superman. This is probably why she was able to get him to join her so easily, and it's a little bit of Seifer's character that's very easy to miss (that shot is from a semi-random conversation that you don't initiate). It's also interesting to look at Seifer, who has the "heroic" role of the knight in contrast with Squall, the mercenary, which is typically a more "villainous" role. It's a neat little reversal of traditional roles.

Wait a minute. Seifer based his worldview on an old movie, about a sorceress knight, and he's a gunblade user. That means that... well, we'll see later, but I never put that together before.

Incidentally, despite being incredibly easy (even for this game), Edea's one of the few bosses in the series I can think of where losing doesn't really matter - the only difference between winning and losing is 20 AP, a useful but not earthshaking quantity.

Gnoman fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 1, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, I just put that together tonight while playing Disc 3

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I've been wanting to post about that since forever. Glad everyone is seeing it though!

well, everyone who's played the game before. Sorry, first time players, we're all realizing 8's a little more subtle than we gave it credit for :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 1, 2015

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Gnoman posted:

Wait a minute. Seifer based his worldview on an old movie, about a sorceress knight, and he's a gunblade user. That means that... well, we'll see later, but I never put that together before.

Incidentally, despite being incredibly easy (even for this game), Edea's one of the few bosses in the series I can think of where losing doesn't really matter - the only difference between winning and losing is 20 AP, a useful but not earthshaking quantity.

:aaaaa:

How the hell did I never put that together before?

Ok, I might give crap to FF8 a bit, but I admit that's pretty neat.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
FFVIII came out when I was 17, so I was the same age as most of the SeeDs. Believe it or not, this actually helped, as I thought they did a good job writing characters I could imagine bumping into between classes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Gnoman posted:

Wow. That's amazing.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

mauman posted:

:aaaaa:

How the hell did I never put that together before?

But wait, there's more! Watch how that knight actually holds the gunblade in the movie!

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

But wait, there's more! Watch how that knight actually holds the gunblade in the movie!

Holy poo poo :stonk:

Anyway, if nothing else I've always found this sequence to set Edea up as a really neat villain. Too bad about the rest of the game though! I just wish Reflect wasn't so easily accessible like ten minutes before you fight her so she'd have an appropriately difficult fight. It could've been an actual time where strategic junctions mattered, but I guess asking for FF8 to not be horribly broken is like asking for rain in a drought.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bifauxnen posted:

Said knight costume is also available as a DLC costume for Laguna in Dissidia.

It's called 'Zefer'. :v:

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Sky Shadowing posted:

Squall Dead is an interesting concept, but not one I buy into just because A) I don't tend to think many video game devs are that clever,

I think the last 3 updates proves this to be true and your a conspiracy nut to think otherwise. Pretty sure at this point hey sacked the writing team and brought in new guys who were even worse somehow?

However I must give credit to the game for the Seifer, knight movie reference, never noticed that.

Also I never completed this game because of the last boss fight gimmick that didnt work the two times I tired it :doh:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Extra Tasty posted:

Holy poo poo :stonk:

Anyway, if nothing else I've always found this sequence to set Edea up as a really neat villain. Too bad about the rest of the game though! I just wish Reflect wasn't so easily accessible like ten minutes before you fight her so she'd have an appropriately difficult fight.

Clearly she should cast reflect on herself and bounce spells off her to your party.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Testekill posted:

Clearly she should cast reflect on herself and bounce spells off her to your party.

If you try Carbuncle in the second fight against her, that's exactly what she does.

Enemies like the Blue Dragon and Ruby Dragon will also follow this tactic.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

And with that the best part of the story is over. It gets incredibly loving stupid from here, buckle up.

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011

bradzilla posted:

And with that the best part of the story is over. It gets incredibly loving stupid from here, buckle up.

My personal favorite part of the game is at the end of Disc 2.

But once we hit Disc 3 everything goes full on :wtc:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Is there any sort of in-universe explanation for why bosses sometimes have a GF to draw?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Not really, although it sometimes does affect some of them in some way (and sometimes that effect is nullified when you draw the GF).

Iguions have auto-reflect on account of Carbuncle (the reflect GF), given away mostly by their scan text. (I think they keep that even after you draw it, though.)
The boss with Leviathan (the water elemental GF) has access to Water, but loses that spell once you draw the GF.
The boss with Pandemona/Pandemonium (the wind elemental GF) has access to Aero and Tornado, but loses those spells once you draw the GF.

The bosses with Siren, Alexander, and Eden don't seem to get any obviously-related benefits from them or lose any abilities once you draw them.

JordanStiva
Jan 14, 2015

Gnoman posted:

God drat it, that's great.

Thoroughly enjoying this LP so far since, for better or worse, this is one of my favourite games. A thing I like about the mission gone wrong is that Squall's back-up plan is to leap off a building, smash a car into metal gates and face Seifer and an honest-to-god Sorceress by himself. Dude has balls, you've got to give him that.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

Vil posted:

Not really, although it sometimes does affect some of them in some way (and sometimes that effect is nullified when you draw the GF).

Iguions have auto-reflect on account of Carbuncle (the reflect GF), given away mostly by their scan text. (I think they keep that even after you draw it, though.)
The boss with Leviathan (the water elemental GF) has access to Water, but loses that spell once you draw the GF.
The boss with Pandemona/Pandemonium (the wind elemental GF) has access to Aero and Tornado, but loses those spells once you draw the GF.

The bosses with Siren, Alexander, and Eden don't seem to get any obviously-related benefits from them or lose any abilities once you draw them.

I did not know this. Interesting.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Other than SeeD - have pronunciations come up yet?

Is it Dollett or Dollay?
Seefer, Cypher or Sayfer?
Eedee? Eddaya?
Delling? Deeling?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

VagueRant posted:

Is it Dollett or Dollay?
Eedee? Eddaya?
Delling? Deeling?

I go with:

-Doll-ett
-Cy-pher
-E-dee-uh
-Well done

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

VagueRant posted:

Is it Dollett or Dollay?
Eedee? Eddaya?
Delling? Deeling?

Seifer's Romaji is Saifā, so presumably similar to Cypher.

Edea would presumably be the common pronounciation of the name, Ey-dia.

Deiling is Deringu, so I'd imagine it would be Dey-ling.

According to the wiki, in the opening FMV for the Dollet field exam, the Galbadian soldiers use the same machine guns as Laguna did.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's been so long since I played this game that I have no idea what the Seifer thing is. Guess I'll find out when we get there!

Also, they pronounce it Cy-pher in Kingdom Hearts 2, though sadly, they shorten Raijen and Fuujin to Rai (Rye) and Fuu (Foo).

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So what's with the Seifer knight movie thing?

I dont get it

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
That's just people talking about things that haven't happened yet in the game, like the OP says not to. You know. An LP thread.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I was seven, which is weird because I thought this game came out earlier than that.

See that's what I thought, too. For some reason I thought it came out in like 1996, even though I knew that's not right (because FF7). I don't think I got it for Christmas the year it came out, either, I think I got it in 2000. I dunno. Time is all hazy between 1997 and about 2009 for me. (Depression!)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bregor posted:

: Now it's time for the Zell Show! Dat-dat-dat-daah-dat-daah! It's the Zell Show, starring me, I'm Zell! It's the Zell Show, and I've got lots of good guests! Bah-dat-daah-daah-dat-daah...

I like you.

A few people posted:

Squall is dead theory

I know that the contents are going to be spoilers, so I won't ask for that here. But, could someone link to a decent rundown? Or is this one of those "it won't even make sense in the slightest until we get there" kind of things? Keeping in mind that I have not played this game.

Nope. Nevermind. I'm not spoiling myself here after reading the last page and seeing people's (apparently worldview changing) realizations. I'm going to sit here and continue to enjoy this LP, and hope that someone can remember to bring this things back up when it's not spoilers.

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Is it Dollett or Dollay?
Eedee? Eddaya?
Delling? Deeling?

I've always said
Dole-ett
See-fer
Ee-dee-ya
Dell-ing

But I should mention I first played this when I was 9 and my ability to pronounce English words at the time wasn't the greatest, but you know, old habits die hard.

Hyord fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 2, 2015

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Is it Dollett or Dollay?
Eedee? Eddaya?
Delling? Deeling?

I've always done

Doll-ay
Cypher
Ee-day-uh
Day-ling

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Son of a bitch, I just got the Seifer thing, and that's amazing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have maintained for many years Seifer is the best character in FFVIII. What everyone is talking about now is just one of the many reasons why this is true.

Damning with faint praise perhaps but he's one of the few reasons I constantly come back to this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Son of a bitch, I just got the Seifer thing, and that's amazing.

Maybe its just that I havn't played this game in fifteen years but I'm not following the train of thought behind this Seifer epiphany. Could anyone help me put the pieces together?

• Locked thread