Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hollismason posted:

Someone has to follow up on this tidbit

What's the nasty rumour on Ann?
Seems like the implication is that she sleeps with women/is a lesbian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

that seems like the opposite of what they're implying.

quote:

Hmm, I'm beginning to sense a pattern here. Come to think of it, Ann Coulter is reputed to have an unusually, er, wide-ranging sex life, too, though as far as I know it's just confined to men. Still, it doesn't exactly match the profile of an ultra-conservative.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FlamingLiberal posted:

http://ifuckedanncoulterintheasshard.blogspot.com/2005/04/farmers-market-on-fairfax-and-3rd-is.html?m=1

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blue Star posted:

But hasn't the Religious Right already experienced complete and undeniable defeats like this before? Civil rights, Roe vs Wade, etc.?

Yeah the right was completely defeated with Roe v. Wade. They definitely haven't made any sort of comeback against abortion. Nope. Not at all. Civil Rights are completely intact as well. Please pay no attention to all this smoke I'm sure nothing's burning.

Jarmak posted:

She's not, this is a dying cause that will result in a temper tantrum in June followed by all but a few stopping giving a poo poo shortly thereafter (just like every state has been). The generation shift on this is immense and I honestly think "gay rights" won't even be a thing (as in there will be no need) in another generation as kids these days more and more just don't give a gently caress. Remember polling shows that gay marriage has 61% support amoung republicans under 30. (http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/03/10/61-of-young-republicans-favor-same-sex-marriage/)

You're so naive it's almost cute.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 5, 2015

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Is there anything about this & the coming period of time regarding the civil rights act? Like, in my head, there had to be a bunch of businesses post-CRA that still refused to serve black people, did they just get shut down, or carted off to jail, or what happened? How long did it take to move from direct rejection to the current status quo of just making sure it's incredibly uncomfortable to be a black person at their place of business and semi-legal discrimination via "private club" bullshit?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah the right was completely defeated with Roe v. Wade. They definitely haven't made any sort of comeback against abortion. Nope. Not at all. Civil Rights are completely intact as well. Please pay no attention to all this smoke I'm sure nothing's burning.

You're so naive it's almost cute.

What do you think is going to happen?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If you're talking about the abortion comparison, probably the same poo poo that's still happening with abortion - keep reaching for new reasons to legislatively target The Bad Thing, keep trying to manipulate the dialogue until you're no longer "banning Thing" but "protecting the people who use Thing" so you can make the people who oppose you out to be the real bad guys who don't care about the lives of the people they use for political points. I mean, I've seen it happen on abortion rights, gay rights, trans rights, even modern arguments for allowing for "Free Market" segregation ("Why should a black person not be allowed to know that the owner of that restaurant is racist? DO YOU WANT THEM TO GET POISONED, YOU REAL RACIST?")

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

It's things like this that make me glad I'm not a judge. I would have to bite back the urge to decline the brief on the grounds that the people delivering it to me are arguing on behalf of a third party they cannot prove they have the right to speak for.

The drafter of an amicus curiae brief doesn't need standing to submit it to the Court.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Incrementally weaken the ruling over a period of years until they will have in-effect rebanned same-sex if not do so overtly.

So yeah, exactly what's happening to abortion right now. What do you think will happen? They'll just shrug their shoulders and never ever speak about it again?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle posted:

omerta kosher thunderdome

P.S. I just realized that I'm a genius and the mods need to rename D&D.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I think comparing same sex marriage to abortion is an apple to orange comparison.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Who What Now posted:

Incrementally weaken the ruling over a period of years until they will have in-effect rebanned same-sex if not do so overtly.

So yeah, exactly what's happening to abortion right now. What do you think will happen? They'll just shrug their shoulders and never ever speak about it again?

What weakenings do you think might happen?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Series DD Funding posted:

Let me give you a hint: Prosecuting women for miscarriages. Prosecuting women for drug use during prengancy. Prosecuting Women for attempting abortions.

You tell me

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Let me give you a hint: Prosecuting women for miscarriages. Prosecuting women for drug use during prengancy. Prosecuting Women for attempting abortions.

You tell me

None of those things translate to gay marriage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

None of those things translate to gay marriage.

No, what it translates is an overwhelming attempt by the Evangelical crowd to try to implement their religious ideals into legislation and law.

But why are we explaining this to you, :fishmech:

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

No, what it translates is an overwhelming attempt by the Evangelical crowd to try to implement their religious ideals into legislation and law.

But why are we explaining this to you, :fishmech:

That doesn't mean they'll succeed in it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That doesn't mean they'll succeed in it.

That doesn't matter, they have made progress getting their ideals into enforceable law that is affecting peoples REAL lives.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dude abortion has polled the same for four decades while views of homosexuality have undergone a massive shift just from a few years ago. Trying to compare those two issues as if they are similar is simply ridiculous.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Not even a whole month ago:

Morter posted:

Oklahoma House Approves Measure Changing Marriage Licenses

quote:

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma House has approved legislation that shifts the issuance of marriage licenses from the state to members of the clergy. 
House members voted 67-24 for the measure Tuesday and sent it to the Senate for consideration. 

The measure by Republican Rep. Todd Russ of Cordell would replace a state-issued marriage license with a clergy-issued marriage certificate. 

Russ says it gets government out of the business of licensing marriage. Opponents say it is a reaction by lawmakers who disagree with a federal judge's decision to overturn the state's ban on same-sex marriage. 

Russ says the state neither allows nor disallows same-sex marriage under the bill. But opponents, including Democratic Rep. Emily Virgin of Norman, say state government needs to be involved in the process.

:catholic:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Another brief, this time from 57 GOP members of congress

http://www.washingtonblade.com/content/files/2015/04/14-556-bsac-Brief-of-57-Members-of-U.-S.-Congress.pdf

quote:

The petitioners’ view that every State must recognize the validity of a same-sex marriage celebrated in another State would violate fundamental principles of federalism. It would allow partners to evade the restrictions of the forum State simply by eloping to a neighboring State that lacks the same restrictions. This rule would permit each State, in effect, to project its marriage policy into all neighboring States, forcing uniformity instead of permitting federal diversity. In sum, the States’ traditional sovereignty over marriage and domestic relations plainly encompasses the authority of a State to refuse to recognize the validity of marriages that were validly enacted in other jurisdictions. This rule is “as old as the Republic.”

Ted Cruz is listed first on the brief

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Don't elope, people.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

http://www.washingtonblade.com/content/files/2015/04/14-556-bsac-Brief-of-57-Members-of-U.-S.-Congress.pdf

Wow, I mean, they went to a lot of effort for that. They could have just said "We, the undersigned, do hereby affirm: gently caress the 14th Amendment right in its ear."

(Countdown until someone points out the procedural inaccuracy in my joke...)

I think comparing same sex marriage to abortion is an apple to orange comparison.

And yet a lot of the anti-SSM groups are also anti-choice groups. It may be apples and oranges if you split this hair or that one, but we're talking about political ConAgra at this point. It's largely the same people fighting on both fronts, using the same rhetoric, and there is no sane reason to not think they'll attempt TRAP-style tactics against SSM in the future.

Kugyou no Tenshi fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 5, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

:catstare: These people are evil.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Yeah, just look at all the backsliding that's happened on the interracial marriage front!

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Yeah, just look at all the backsliding that's happened on the interracial marriage front!

Yup, once Loving came down the pipe, no one resisted at all, anywhere, ever. Not even symbolic gestures. Nope.

Wikipedia posted:

In 1967, 17 Southern states (all the former slave states plus Oklahoma) still enforced laws prohibiting marriage between whites and non-whites. Maryland repealed its law in response to the start of the proceedings at the Supreme Court. After the ruling of the Supreme Court, the remaining laws were no longer in effect. Nonetheless, it took South Carolina until 1998 and Alabama until 2000 to officially amend their states' constitutions to remove language prohibiting miscegenation. In the respective referendums, 62% of voters in South Carolina and 59% of voters in Alabama voted to remove these laws.

In 2009, Keith Bardwell, a justice of the peace in Robert, Louisiana, refused to officiate a civil wedding for an interracial couple. A nearby justice of the peace, on Bardwell's referral, officiated the wedding; the interracial couple sued Keith Bardwell and his wife Beth Bardwell in federal court. After facing wide criticism for his actions, including from Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, Bardwell resigned on November 3, 2009.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
It has been interesting watching how slowly SCOTUS has been unwinding same-sex marriage jurisprudence. All of the recent holdings on the issue have been in favor of expanded marriage rights for same-sex marriage, but very incrementally, with narrow, cautious holdings. Opinions have studiously avoided citing Loving, and I don't think the Court will use that opinion until it definitively overturns state laws against same-sex marriage. It probably won't be long now.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What Are some other great sites that cover LGTB rights news?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Yup, once Loving came down the pipe, no one resisted at all, anywhere, ever. Not even symbolic gestures. Nope.

There was no judicial backsliding after Loving, none at all.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

TheImmigrant posted:

There was no judicial backsliding after Loving, none at all.

Yeah but then poo poo like this happens:
http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/louisiana-police-chief-apologizes-arrests-2-gay-men-under-unenforceable-anti-sodomy-law21021

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/south-carolina-county-sheriffs-warned-over-illegal-entrapment-gay-men190812

Note the year. There's no going back but I expect poo poo like this more often in the wake of the ruling.

Political Whores fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 5, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Well then you slap the fuckers down with the judicial system.

All this henny-pennying over something that might happen is pretty pathetic.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Whoa, all these things rule, I can't wait.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

It took almost four decades for loving to poll as well as gay marriage already is. Between that and the fact opposition to gay marriage from people under 30 polls about on par with the government being involved in 9/11 I'm not sure what thought process leads anyone to think this is anything like Roe v Wade.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Jarmak posted:

It took almost four decades for loving to poll as well as gay marriage already is. Between that and the fact opposition to gay marriage from people under 30 polls about on par with the government being involved in 9/11 I'm not sure what thought process leads anyone to think this is anything like Roe v Wade.

Roe was a rare SCOTUS decision where the Court was way ahead of public consensus on a highly contentious social issue, and the decision probably exacerbated the divisions about it. They won't be doing anything like that in the near future.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Civil War II

I've been reading the freep thread recently, and it has convinced me this is the last straw. The Silent Majority has been keeping their powder dry and they're going to take back their country :911:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VitalSigns posted:

Civil War II

I've been reading the freep thread recently, and it has convinced me this is the last straw. The Silent Majority has been keeping their powder dry and they're going to take back their country :911:

Fortunately for all concerned, the effective operational range of mobility scooters is rather limited. :gop:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sabotage. The Big Businesses who build Rascals have gone over to the homofascists.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

TheImmigrant posted:

Roe was a rare SCOTUS decision where the Court was way ahead of public consensus on a highly contentious social issue, and the decision probably exacerbated the divisions about it. They won't be doing anything like that in the near future.

Does Brown v Board fit this definition as well? The chances of this happening seem very slight but if the court handed down a "actually, integrate schools in fact, you assholes" decision I would say they'd still be ahead of the public consensus.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

What Are some other great sites that cover LGTB rights news?
I'm not sure there's a way to browse Buzzfeed news stuff separate from listicles, but they have a ton of good original reporting. The New Civil Rights Movement is ok but has a similar problem with Someone Said A Dumb Thing stories. Equality on Trial is good roundup but the nature of the site leaves out stuff like RFRA legislation.

Just click any news stories Chris Geidner tweets about.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

So the first time I saw "strange flesh", all I could think of was horsefucking. That's loads stranger than just sexing dudes. And then I look at the thread...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Alright, let's compare it to things like the Civil Rights Act, which Roberts will lead in killing off entirely the moment he gets a case that lets him do so and in the meanwhile he'll continue dismantling parts of it as he's already done recently to allow states to usher in a new wave of voter ID laws and other things that just happen to heavily target minorities (and poors).

Or how schools have heavily re-segregated over time and in a much more effective and harder to legally challenge way.

• Locked thread