Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

I also discovered that due to the haldex, the R has no spare tire.
My Megane RS has no spare tire either, but the space where it goes in the regular Megane (and that mold is still there under the trunk floor) is the perfect size for a gently caress-off huge subwoofer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

trem posted:

Not a hot hatch, but my parents have a 2005 Ford Freestyle and it's said that the oil has to be changed for the last 5 years. It gets regular oil changes and service but that never seems to clear. :iiam:

They don't reset automatically. There is a procedure (which is different for every car of course) to manually reset the life measurement after the oil is changed.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Franco Caution posted:

Plus the little holed sheet pullout sunroof screen on the 2015 GTI is terrible. I wished it was possible to get a loaded one without it.

What's bad about it?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I have my name on 'the list' for a FoRS at the dealership, but I might need to look at something sooner than next year.

I really want an AWD vehicle since winters here (Winnipeg) suck rancid rear end, but FWD on winter tires would be fine if the vehicle has reasonable traction control, etc. So, anyone year-round DDing a FoST in a similar climate? How available are winters tires/steelies to fit the vehicle and how does it handle the awful rutty snow that defines five months of the year and the potholes that define the other seven?

TKIY fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 5, 2015

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

AnimalChin posted:

What's bad about it?

On just about every sunroof I've ever had or played with, they had a cover that was solid and when it was closed, blocked out all light. When you didn't have the sunroof open and that cover was closed it was almost like the sunroof wasn't even there.
On the GTI it's just this really thin mesh, fabric sunroof cover. I live in Florida and think it would allow too much light/heat into the cabin when closed.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I refer to these mesh covers as "headache roofs"

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Has anyone tuned a cruze? the 1.4l turbo? I saw a chip that upped it to 170hp.

http://www.vtunerperformance.com/?p=54

I came from a manual turbo foreester so this isn't really going to cut it at stock.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

TKIY posted:

I have my name on 'the list' for a FoRS at the dealership, but I might need to look at something sooner than next year.

I really want an AWD vehicle since winters here (Winnipeg) suck rancid rear end, but FWD on winter tires would be fine if the vehicle has reasonable traction control, etc. So, anyone year-round DDing a FoST in a similar climate? How available are winters tires/steelies to fit the vehicle and how does it handle the awful rutty snow that defines five months of the year and the potholes that define the other seven?

Upper Midwest here with a fairly stock FoST. No issues with 17" Blizzaks on steels. Very controllable.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

howling_mad posted:

Upper Midwest here with a fairly stock FoST. No issues with 17" Blizzaks on steels. Very controllable.

Sounds good, the RS looks amazing but I'm dreading the dealer markups here.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Another question I had was do you have hte varez mufflers here in Canada? They were big in Aus but I don't know if they're popular here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TKIY posted:

Frozen northeast, 16' poo poo alloys that cost me fifty bucks each with Michelin X-Ices, which aren't great tires but they were fuckin cheap. Good availability for wheels and tires. Car does well in snow, nice and controllable. Get some nasty thumps and striking of bump stops on the potholes, but the RS wouldn't fix that problem.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Be very wary of potholes with the stock low profiles, loving up a rim seems very easy.

I went to the local junkyard and found a wrecked 09 Focus with stock alloys. I got those and the all-seasons on them (they were in great shape) for $70 each and ran with them all winter with no problems. I'm in Ohio though, so any further north and I would look at dedicated winter tires.

Did any of you Ford owners find your car out of alignment from the dealership? When I took my summer tires off last fall, I found the front left tire unevenly worn at under 20k miles. Someone that works at a different dealership said that the transport companies will sometimes tighten the cars down so tight that it actually pulls them out of alignment. I'm not sure how true that is, but seems like it might make sense. It also seems like something a good dealership would check for

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 6, 2015

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nierbo posted:

Has anyone tuned a cruze? the 1.4l turbo? I saw a chip that upped it to 170hp.

http://www.vtunerperformance.com/?p=54

I came from a manual turbo foreester so this isn't really going to cut it at stock.

I have a 1.4L Sonic (same engine) but untuned. I've driven a tuned Sonic and it's quite a bit more power than stock. Most people go through a different company (Bad News Racing) and do the Trifecta tune, however I'd recommend just getting HPTuners and taking it to a local dyno. You can definitely do it cheaper with an OTS style tune (BNR, Vtuner) and probably get 90% of the results, though.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 6, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dr.Caligari posted:

Did any of you Ford owners find your car out of alignment from the dealership? When I took my summer tires off last fall, I found the front left tire unevenly worn at under 20k miles. Someone that works at a different dealership said that the transport companies will sometimes tighten the cars down so tight that it actually pulls them out of alignment. I'm not sure how true that is, but seems like it might make sense. It also seems like something a good dealership would check for

Yes. My front right wheel had waay too much camber on it to the point that the inner tread band of the tire was far more worn than the outer portion of tread. Didn't notice (Because I'm terrible) until I replaced the stock wheels and tires entirely since they were a staggered setup /no rotations.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So there is a 2015 FoST in Tangerine landing at the dealership w/ Sunroof, Tech package, and the Rado wheels next week. The dealership is running a promo with my (Government) employer for Employee pricing on top of the 0% financing.

Price on the car is $34,135 CDN with the discount. Fair price?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I went to the NY auto show last weekend and the Ford people were offering $50 mastercard gift cards just to test drive one of their cars. Since I'm seriously considering the Focus ST (or RS) and Mustang GT as my next car, this was really nice timing.

I went to my local ford dealer (Sayville Ford) and jesus christ what a bunch of fuckers. Reading through this thread made me realize that I'm not the only person to cross-shop those models but they treated me like a kid who just wanted to drive fast cars for an afternoon. They signed my form for the giftcard and pretty much told me to leave.

I still really want to drive both cars to see if they'll be a good fit for me but it was a fresh reminder of how awful the dealer experience is and I'm in no rush to swing by any other dealers anytime soon :(

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

TKIY posted:

So there is a 2015 FoST in Tangerine landing at the dealership w/ Sunroof, Tech package, and the Rado wheels next week. The dealership is running a promo with my (Government) employer for Employee pricing on top of the 0% financing.

Is that after tax? if so, pretty good deal.

You should also get an additional 1000 off if you have a Costco card.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

TKIY posted:

I got quoted 28k OTR for a 2014 with the ford racing exhaust here in Ontario.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
No $34,135 is just the price on the car, pre-tax.

How are you getting it for $28k? MSRP is $36k!

That has to be a clearout on that 2014 or something? No sunroof/Nav/Rado wheels?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

TKIY posted:

Building your configuration on ford.ca comes out to 34k and change before tax so what's the discount?

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

TKIY posted:

How are you getting it for $28k? MSRP is $36k!

That has to be a clearout on that 2014 or something? No sunroof/Nav/Rado wheels?

I went on the last day of January and got an initial price and then i took that back and forth between two dealerships owned by different automotive groups. If you can afford an RS please just be patient so I can live vicariously through this thread.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I can afford the RS, but it sounds like we won't get any here in Manitoba. My dealer told me that they are expecting less than 100 nationwide and no dealer that gets one will trade it. It's being tagged as a 'lottery car' in their system.

smooth jazz posted:

Building your configuration on ford.ca comes out to 34k and change before tax so what's the discount?

Let me run the options again, I might have missed something.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TKIY posted:

I can afford the RS, but it sounds like we won't get any here in Manitoba. My dealer told me that they are expecting less than 100 nationwide and no dealer that gets one will trade it. It's being tagged as a 'lottery car' in their system.

That doesn't make any sense. Ford makes it sound like they're going to build them to demand. There shouldn't be any major supply issues outside of the first couple months.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

That doesn't make any sense. Ford makes it sound like they're going to build them to demand. There shouldn't be any major supply issues outside of the first couple months.

It's entirely possible I'm getting BS from the dealer. Regardless, I don't think I can wait until next year for the second car. If they are widely available I'll likely do something dumb and trade up to the RS next year :D

smooth jazz posted:

Okay, the $34,135 includes the destination and delivery charge ($1,600 here in the Peg). So the offered discount on the government employee plan is about $1,800. I took it to another dealer already and he says he can do better.

TWSS posted:

I got quoted 28k OTR for a 2014 with the ford racing exhaust here in Ontario.

Followup on this, I went looking for a 2014 ST and I don't think there are any left available in the prairies.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Second dealership is getting a blue ST. I love that blue. Wonder if I can get the black ST striping on it as a dealer option?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of my Cars & Coffee buds says the local Ford dealer quoted him $48K for the first RS they get.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Oh hey we finally have a FiST in our city now: http://www.rountreefordla.com/new/Ford/2015-Ford-Fiesta-4b5246060a0a0064794898f966be8531.htm
No recaro package, stupid racing stripes and they want 24k for it. :shepface:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I like the racing stripes :(

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
That reminds me, when I bought my FiST it had an obnoxiously large banner on the windshield that read FIESTA . I peeled it off the second I got it home. I've never seen any other Fiesta or ST with that dumb poo poo before or since. Do dealerships regularlly put that kind of poo poo on thinking it looks good?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My local dealer (literally across the street from work, I visit on lunches basically weekly) has had 3 FiST in stock for a month, but 0 FoST in the same timeframe. Its annoying, I want to test drive a FoST again.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dr.Caligari posted:

That reminds me, when I bought my FiST it had an obnoxiously large banner on the windshield that read FIESTA . I peeled it off the second I got it home. I've never seen any other Fiesta or ST with that dumb poo poo before or since. Do dealerships regularlly put that kind of poo poo on thinking it looks good?

My local Ford dealer has bro trucks out front, pre-bro'd and waiting for you to finance them!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

My local Ford dealer has bro trucks out front, pre-bro'd and waiting for you to finance them!

I think every large dealer does that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

KakerMix posted:

The dealer I mentioned above also keeps several Mustangs around with swapped and/or powder coated wheels on them. $250 credit for the stockers and $4-6k for the upgrades.
Its rather hilarious.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ilkhan posted:

My local dealer (literally across the street from work, I visit on lunches basically weekly) has had 3 FiST in stock for a month, but 0 FoST in the same timeframe. Its annoying, I want to test drive a FoST again.

When I was test driving, the dealer I went to had 6 or 7 FiST in stock, and 6 FoST. Was nice to be able to look at every trim level of both cars all in the same spot at the same time.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Any opinions here on the Honda Fit?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The Locator posted:

When I was test driving, the dealer I went to had 6 or 7 FiST in stock, and 6 FoST. Was nice to be able to look at every trim level of both cars all in the same spot at the same time.
Its the highest volume dealer in CA, so not like they aren't moving cars. They just sell every FoST the moment it comes in. They had a couple '14 strippers until Jan, then they got sold.
Local Cars and Coffee event had a row of about 20 mixed FoST/FiSTs.

Soylentbits posted:

Uhhhh LOL?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

Should really have been the same for the ford tremor, but dealers were saying there were only 100 in canada, and asking stupid prices for them.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Soylentbits posted:

It's not a HOT hatch by any stretch of the imagination, obviously, but we just bought a 2015 EX and it's great even with the CVT.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

Should really have been the same for the ford tremor, but dealers were saying there were only 100 in canada, and asking stupid prices for them.

Canada always gets the shaft on special vehicles :/

Honestly if I buy the ST and an RS becomes available next year I'd probably consider the financial suicide option and trade up for it :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Yeah, that's stupid. I've seen a quote where someone from Ford basically said the first year run would be less than the ST first year run(13,000), but they could build as many as they want since there wouldn't be any issues with production. I'd expect similar numbers to the Golf R, so like 5,000 a year or so.