Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Pinterest Mom posted:

recurrency is disrupting patreon by collecting money (and fees) on behalf of creators that haven't set up a profile.

they, i guess, scraped some podcast databases and the like, set up pages for a bunch of popular ones, and are accepting your money, without even asking permission from the people they're collecting on behalf of.

holy poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the human fund

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

oh turns out they automatically create an account whenever someone does a search for something

oh, do they now

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Pinterest Mom posted:

recurrency is disrupting patreon by collecting money (and fees) on behalf of creators that haven't set up a profile.

they, i guess, scraped some podcast databases and the like, set up pages for a bunch of popular ones, and are accepting your money, without even asking permission from the people they're collecting on behalf of.

Hector Perez
is giving $1.00 per week to Elon Musk 5d 

“Elon is determined to colonise Mars. Thanks to Recurrency we can help him a bit.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it has to be someone with a fb/twitter/ig profile but yeah

https://recurrency.us/ig/gay_jewish_hitler

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sniep posted:

i had to look cuz i dont know / care what font it is as long as it looks fine which my termianl looks fine to me, so apparently it's this:

you're welcome

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://recurrency.us/tw/weedlord%20bonerhitler

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
look it all the techies searching for immortality, cures to the personal problems they have, and not understanding why they should ever die. how charitable of them

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2015/04/04/tech-titans-latest-project-defy-death/

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Did recurrency change something?

looks like there no longer preemptively making accounts

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Main Paineframe posted:

look it all the techies searching for immortality, cures to the personal problems they have, and not understanding why they should ever die. how charitable of them

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2015/04/04/tech-titans-latest-project-defy-death/

can we round them up and fire them into a black hole? I think that should work in theory

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Main Paineframe posted:

It was 2004 and Thiel had recently made a tidy fortune selling PayPal, which he co-founded, to eBay. He had spent what he wanted on himself — a posh penthouse suite at the Four Seasons Hotel and a silver Ferrari — and was now soliciting ideas to do good with his money.

lol thiel is a huge wacko libertarian that doesn't believe in philanthropy

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

It was 2004 and Thiel had recently made a tidy fortune selling PayPal, which he co-founded, to eBay. He had spent what he wanted on himself — a posh penthouse suite at the Four Seasons Hotel and a silver Ferrari — and was now soliciting ideas to do good with his money.

lol thiel is a huge wacko libertarian that doesn't believe in philanthropy

tbf it doesn't say "do good for others," he's just doing good for himself.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
i hope none of those people live to 150

or even 80, really

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Oracle founder Larry Ellison has proclaimed his wish to live forever and donated more than $430 million to anti-aging research. “Death has never made any sense to me,” he told his biographer, Mike Wilson. “How can a person be there and then just vanish, just not be there?”

here's someone who could use a large dose of lsd or shrooms to kill that ego

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

text editor posted:

anyone who has ever met ellison would suggest strychnine instead

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Larry Ellison is THE WORST

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

text editor posted:

Oracle founder Larry Ellison has proclaimed his wish to live forever and donated more than $430 million to anti-aging research. “Death has never made any sense to me,” he told his biographer, Mike Wilson. “How can a person be there and then just vanish, just not be there?”

is he a literal child?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
i just cant imagine a world without me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

text editor posted:

i just cant imagine a world without me

as a solipsist, i....

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

text editor posted:

or he could read shelley's "the mortal immortal" it is v good

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FMguru posted:

anyone who has ever met ellison would suggest strychnine instead

remember that one chinese emperor that demanded to live forever and demanded mercury based medicines to do that? larry should try that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

remember that one chinese emperor that demanded to live forever and demanded mercury based medicines to do that? larry should try that.

does this mean he'll demand a tomb with a map of the bay area created in mercury?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

does this mean he'll demand a tomb with a map of the bay area created in mercury?

an acceptable cost to be rid of him imo

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

an acceptable cost to be rid of him imo

That's what we said about Qin shi huangdi

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ruby idiot railed posted:

That's what we said about Qin shi huangdi

He was really history's first disruptor anyway

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i hope larry's plans for immortal life lead to him trying all kinds of organic newage mercury cures that lead to a faster death

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Elder Postsman posted:

Larry Ellison is THE WORST

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

god this twitter is the best loving thing

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

stare at your rear end as a service

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

these are all over the place here right now. they're probably loving that money out of the drivers.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
we're still suffering the interminable existence of Lich King Rupert Murdoch so don't get your hopes up for being rid of Ellison any time soon

like I actually think Murdoch remains alive by the pure force of his hatred for the light and goodness in this world

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 6, 2015

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

these are all over the place here right now. they're probably loving that money out of the drivers.

nah, drivers still get paid full rates for these free rides

it does signal that fare cuts will be coming soonish in your area though, and drivers always get the short end of the stick on those

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mr Dog posted:

like I actually think Murdoch remains alive by the pure force of his hatred for the light and goodness in this world

sounds like he'd fit right in, has anyone tried buying him an acount

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
"The truth about life in 2015 at Stanford, where 21-year-olds are offered hundreds of thousands of dollars right out of school"
http://www.businessinsider.com/life-at-stanford-in-2015-2015-4

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Analytic Engine posted:

"The truth about life in 2015 at Stanford, where 21-year-olds are offered hundreds of thousands of dollars right out of school"
http://www.businessinsider.com/life-at-stanford-in-2015-2015-4

holy lol. silicon valley is literally building itself around exploiting naive children

quote:

PayPal offered Singal a summer internship. When Singal accepted, the company sent the teenager a gift package full of candy and coffee mugs for her parents.

quote:

He was told about the perks of the internship, including a massive event Microsoft puts on for its summer interns called the "Intern Signature Event." A couple of years ago, Microsoft rented out Boeing's headquarters for the event. Seattle restaurants set up on an airfield. Interns took a tour of the factory and then had a wine tasting. There was a concert just for them featuring Macklemore and Deadmau5.

Microsoft made Keating an offer. On average, Microsoft pays summer interns $7,500 a month with a monthly housing stipend of $2,500. That's $30,000 in all.

Eventually, Keating took the Microsoft gig, but not because of the money or the perks, he says. For one thing, the perks were pretty standard. Just as Microsoft has its Intern Signature Event, other companies have their special weekends and trips. Google does a cruise around San Francisco Bay. Dropbox has a "Parents' Weekend." Oracle flies interns around in a helicopter.

As for the money, Keating says it was not the deciding factor. It won't be when he considers full-time jobs after Stanford, either.

It's more important for him to feel like he's on a mission. "I want to work on problems that matter with people who care," he says. "I want to work on problems that I think are important. I want to feel like I'm valued, but never that I'm being coddled."

Keating says he can worry about money later if he has to.

"I have all of this ridiculous earning potential. If, for whatever reason, I decide that I value money more later down the road, I can do that. For right now, what I'm really looking for is to learn a lot and to feel meaningful in my work. So I'm going to do something a little different."

quote:

When current Stanford students ask Wong for advice, he tells them not to do what he did. Pixelate is not a failed company, but Wong says keeping it going has taken a huge amount of stressful effort.

Coming out of college, Wong didn't have any savings. That meant he had nothing to lose if his startup failed, but it also meant he had nothing to live on. (He had to figure out the cheapest, highest-calorie food at the grocery store. One of his roommates slept in the kitchen.)

Wong thinks he was not mature enough to run a company when he started Pixelate. He didn't know what a real work environment was like. He didn't know how to give employees negative feedback. He didn't know how to inspire them. He didn't know how to fire someone, because he had never seen anyone get fired.

Wong says Stanford did not teach him how to deal with adversity: "If you don't get into the class you want at Stanford, you use a petition and hopefully you'll get in. In real life, it's a little bit different."

quote:

Between his graduate classes and all the contract coding, Yang-Sammataro says he's now working 14 hours a day, seven days a week. He's not making much money, he says. Definitely not as much as his friends at large tech companies who are pulling six-figure salaries.

"At this point," he says, "it's a really great way to basically learn these different things. I get to learn management, hiring, recruiting. I get to learn operations. I get to learn business development. I can't tell you how fortunate I feel."

quote:

But Cosman wasn't very impressed with the place when he first got there. He saw that some of the most talented interns were getting put on boring projects.

Cosman decided he wouldn't put up with it.

"I talked to my mentor," he says. "I talked to him and said, 'Look, they're going to assign me to some lame project. I really don't want to do that. Can you give me a couple of weeks to just explore around Palantir, figure out where the most interesting work is happening and then go work with those people?'"

quote:

One student, who asked us not to use his name for this quote, said he thinks Stanford students may turn down huge offers because, to them, "that money is almost not real in a sense. We don't have to deal with personal finances that much. Our parents still pay our bills, and we get free room and board.

"I don't think a lot of people have a sense of what the money means. So maybe when we get out into the real world people will start to care more about the money."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

There was a concert just for them featuring Macklemore and Deadmau5.

:siren:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Main Paineframe posted:

holy lol. silicon valley is literally building itself around exploiting naive children

I think there are a lot of very worldly people who would like to be exploited to the tune of $150K/yr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
it's cool how we've basically just given up as a society and said that your life doesn't really start until 30

• Locked thread