Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I finished season 1 and started season 2. This show is fantastic.

First 2 episodes of S2 are mixed. The end of the food chain game was perfect and almost made up for the terrible seat exchange episode. Does Hongchul become more tolerable?

s 2 sux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yah s2 is weak.

I don't know how smart Dongmin is obviously but as far as memory goes he really is a genius.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm kind of making the rounds in the various Korean T.V. show threads promoting this idea, so I'll float it here as well.

How would everyone feel about merging the various Korean T.V. threads (General Korean T.V. thread, The Genius Thread, Running Man thread, maybe 1 or 2 others I don't know about) into one generally active KTV thread? The Genius thread is always active during Genius or Crime Scene seasons, but it tends to stagnate when they aren't airing. The KTV and RM threads tend to be fairly inconsistently active as well, but myself (and some others) feel that one thread for all things Korean would keep things a bit more lively.

I was sure this was already brought up here but I guess it hasn't been, so I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts on that would be. I'd leave it to someone else to do the OP, but basically a shortened version of the various threads' OPs seems like a good place to start, and it shouldn't be all that much work.

There were some concerns raised about spoiling episodes, but in my experience everyone is very liberal with spoiler tags for KTV shows since they can be hard to catch (not exactly airing every Tuesday at 9 p.m. or anything), so I don't see that as a problem personally.

Anyway, I'm all for a single thread that's always on the first or second page, obviously, but I'd be glad to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Is there anything wrong with having more threads? I don't see why we should mix discussion with shows I don't watch.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

I dont like the idea of a permanent detective role on crime scene..

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I think for now it should provide an interesting wrinkle. In so far as they should be unbiased, but they're only going to get what they can from the scene and from everyone else. They don't have a history they're bringing which gives them any more insight. Meaning they're just as susceptible to the criminal as everyone else, perhaps even more so since they have to rely on the evidence.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Seems like the detective role will further the Mafia-esque antics. Perhaps a criminal who's got a ticking clock/worried about being found can enlist a detective's help to misdirect the others. Seeing as there's only three winners, making other people lose might be just as important and valuable as a detective who helps the others. We might even see quasi-power blocks like in The Genius.

Imagine if Jinho and Dongmin team up to grab the cash for themselves!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

NowonSA posted:

How would everyone feel about merging the various Korean T.V. threads (General Korean T.V. thread, The Genius Thread, Running Man thread, maybe 1 or 2 others I don't know about) into one generally active KTV thread?

I'm against it for selfish reasons. This show and Crime Scene are the only two I really care to watch. Seeing the post count on this thread go up lets me know there's something going on with one of them. If everyone started discussing other shows then it'd just be useless posts I'd have to skim, and I might miss something good.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I don't care about Korean Television besides these two shows!!!!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Superrodan posted:

I'm against it for selfish reasons. This show and Crime Scene are the only two I really care to watch. Seeing the post count on this thread go up lets me know there's something going on with one of them. If everyone started discussing other shows then it'd just be useless posts I'd have to skim, and I might miss something good.

I agree, there's a general UK thread, and then shows with a certain interest get their own threads, this is pretty much the same thing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
There was another idea to just have a "Korean Brain Game Shows" thread of sorts with The Genius and Crime Scene and any other mind-game type stuff.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ViggyNash posted:

There was another idea to just have a "Korean Brain Game Shows" thread of sorts with The Genius and Crime Scene and any other mind-game type stuff.

There already is one of those, it's called this thread

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Some Dongmin to bring us back on topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZMoEZF9S4A

I so do not get the Korean reality television broadcaster scene.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Suspicious Dish posted:

Is there anything wrong with having more threads? I don't see why we should mix discussion with shows I don't watch.

Superrodan posted:

Hat Thoughts posted:

I don't care about Korean Television besides these two shows!!!!
I'm with these guys, which seems to be the opinion in here. We like our two-show thread!

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 6, 2015

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Then someone just needs to PM a mod to update the thread title on this one to mention Crime Scene. Otherwise that discussion is going both here and in the general thread.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
When I think of the qualities that make one a genius, creativity and originality are necessarily included. These are two descriptors that have nothing to do with Koreans. Koreans in Korea are completely without these qualities. Their culture shuns creativity and originality. Blending in with the mob is the first thing a Korean child is taught they must do. Koreans do not possess the capability tp be creative or original. The best they can do is copy something really closely.

With that said, I've never watched this show but gently caress it's name. It's impossible to find any real genius in Korea.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

:stare:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

olin posted:

When I think of the qualities that make one a genius, creativity and originality are necessarily included. These are two descriptors that have nothing to do with Koreans. Koreans in Korea are completely without these qualities. Their culture shuns creativity and originality. Blending in with the mob is the first thing a Korean child is taught they must do. Koreans do not possess the capability tp be creative or original. The best they can do is copy something really closely.

With that said, I've never watched this show but gently caress it's name. It's impossible to find any real genius in Korea.

2/10 try harder racism on the internet isn't that original maybe include a goatse next time

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I know there were some questions as to whether Dongmin really deserved to win that deathmatch with the train game, because he had painted himself into a corner and barely squeeked out a win, but honestly I think it took quite a lot of creativity and thinking outside of the box to realize that even though he had no way to legitimately win, he might still bluff his way out of the situation he found himself.

Also, why is that post?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

We apparently have 100-year old war veterans posting in TVIV.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Season 2 spoilers

2-3
The King game was alright. The betrayal was good but not Election Game good where people worked so hard on a game that was already decided. Gyul Hap would have been a lot more fun if it was a 4 player deathmatch with buzzers instead of turns. The drop in stakes from the finals to the third deathmatch really hurt.

2-4
I didn't like that the game had team immunity and no individual goal but it worked out. Jinho rigging the stacks and fooling Sangmin was great. Eunkyul was an arrogant moron, but it was a dick move by the winners who didn't help him in the deathmatch. The producers really need to decide how much influence the outsiders should have in the deathmatch and be somewhat consistent. It doesn't have to be zero, but it's jarring to go from Gyul Hap to Sun Moon Star.

Hong-chul is a lot more entertaining now that he's playing the game more and shouting less.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

olin posted:

lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

To be fair, Samsung IS known for copying Apple's mobile devices. :v:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

olin posted:

My friend there is someone from another forum you should meet

quote:

oh, here is the real cover. as you can see asians have no problem being silly and funny. actually, that's how they like to have fun and be relaxed often with their goofy gameshows and antics. this pours over in other areas as they like cutsey and off the wall stuff often. african-americans in general would find this irritating and foreign to them as they hate to appear undignified in any way, especially when it comes to thier idea of fun and enjoyment so it's not a good fit as one is very light and silly, the other is the other extreme 'usually'

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Ah, I didn't think of the "new posts means something is happening" angle. I also enjoy Running Man, Genius, Crime Scene, and a few other Korean shows, so one thread for all of them would be perfectly suited to me, but I can see how it's not perfect for everyone.

Cozying up to the detective and misdirecting him should totally be a valid tactic as the criminal, I feel like right now people are underestimating the power of "definitely not the criminal" and "gets two votes," it really is a gamechanger. I don't know how much they'll be metagaming around trying to sink people in the top 3 toward the end of the season, since this isn't taken as seriously as the Genius, but having the possibility is good.

Oh, and Dongmin's train was my favorite moment of S3, complete worry and fear into incredible relief and happiness.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

olin posted:

Huh?

Well, that's probably one of the weirdest incidences of drive-by racism I've seen on SA.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Xachariah posted:

Huh?

Well, that's probably one of the weirdest incidences of drive-by racism I've seen on SA.

What I said has nothing to do with race. This doesn't apply to a person of Korean descent who grows up in another culture. A racially Korean person who grows up in the USA is just an American and they have just as much an ability to grow up creative or original as anyone else (taking natural talent into consideration of course). American culture values creativity and originality so these qualities have a chance to blossom there. What I was talking about is the culture of Korea. This culture promotes conformity and a hive mind that is antithetical to originality. It is their culture I was criticizing. What I was saying has nothing to do with race. In fact, a racist mindset is one of the most troubling things about Korean culture. It is utterly common for Koreans in Korea to believe that their's is the purest race and to look down upon people of other races. I lived in Korea for 3 years and witnessed it many times. The way immigrant workers and basically all foreigners are treated as second class citizens. I had white friends there who married Korean girls and then had to deal with old men calling their children animals as they walked in public.

quote:

In a report issued Oct. 21, Amnesty International criticized discrimination in South Korea against migrant workers, who mostly are from poor Asian countries, citing sexual abuse, racial slurs, inadequate safety training and the mandatory disclosure of H.I.V. status, a requirement not imposed on South Koreans in the same jobs. Citing local news media and rights advocates, it said that following last year’s financial downturn, “incidents of xenophobia are on the rise.”

In 2007, the U.N. Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination recommended that South Korea adopt such a law, deploring the widespread use of terms like “pure blood” and “mixed blood.” It urged public education to overcome the notion that South Korea was “ethnically homogenous,” which, it said, “no longer corresponds to the actual situation.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/02/world/asia/02race.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I've been all over the world but Korea is the only place I don't like. Hell, Koreans don't like Korea either. They hate themselves leading to every girl in the country wanting to chop up her face with plastic surgery and it being the suicide capital of the world. I'll stop derailing this thread but I just had to respond to your allegation of racism. This has nothing to do with the race of the people. All people are the same regardless of race. But certain aspects of particular cultures can be troubling and Korean culture has a lot of things about it that are disgusting.

AARO fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 7, 2015

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

:frogout:

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

olin posted:

What I said has nothing to do with race. This doesn't apply to a person of Korean descent who grows up in another culture. A racially Korean person who grows up in the USA is just an American and they have just as much an ability to grow up creative or original as anyone else (taking natural talent into consideration of course). American culture values creativity and originality so these qualities have a chance to blossom there. What I was talking about is the culture of Korea. This culture promotes conformity and a hive mind that is antithetical to originality. It is their culture I was criticizing. What I was saying has nothing to do with race. In fact, a racist mindset is one of the most troubling things about Korean culture. It is utterly common for Koreans in Korea to believe that their's is the purest race and to look down upon people of other races. I lived in Korea for 3 years and witnessed it many times. The way immigrant workers and basically all foreigners are treated as second class citizens. I had white friends there who married Korean girls and then had to deal with old men calling their children animals as they walked in public.

I've been all over the world but Korea is the only place I don't like. Hell, Koreans don't like Korea either. They hate themselves leading to every girl in the country wanting to chop up her face with plastic surgery and it being the suicide capital of the world. I'll stop derailing this thread but I just had to respond to your allegation of racism. This has nothing to do with the race of the people. All people are the same regardless of race. But certain aspects of particular cultures can be troubling and Korean culture has a lot of things about it that are disgusting.

Prejudicial sweeping generalisations against a countries culture isn't nearly as snappy. Besides race is a social construct anyway, in reality "racism" is often harmful generalisations against a certain culture.

I'm sorry you had a bad time in South Korea but it's still really weird to drop in on a thread just to call every Korean in Korea uncreative and unoriginal.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

olin posted:

So you're not a racist but a bigot who felt the need to drop by a Korean TV shows thread to poo poo on Korean culture in general despite the existence of D&D.

Also please explain the existence of this show if all koreans are unapologetic racists.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 7, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

olin posted:

What I said has nothing to do with race.

why are you posting in a thread for a show you've never watched simply to tell us that you are racist against koreans? nobody wants to hear it, get out.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

Also please explain the existence of this show if all koreans are unapologetic racists.

Speaking of Abnormal Summit, it lost another translation subtitler. The person managing the Kvarietyshowmania blog stopped after episode 34 due to time constraints. Episode 35 has been done by a different person at http://southsubs.weebly.com/ . Subtitles were overlaid too low but better than none.

Just in case I'm not the only one still watching it.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
hey olin

Nobody actually believes that any of the contestants on "The Genius" are actually geniuses. It's just a TV show.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Subyng posted:

hey olin

Nobody actually believes that any of the contestants on "The Genius" are actually geniuses. It's just a TV show.

Except for Hweejong. He makes it very clear.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Crime Scene 2 owns so far.

olin posted:

What I was saying has nothing to do with race.

You're fooling yourself with rationalizations. "I don't hate them, I just hate the country they have made and the way they all act. Except the good ones that act like white people. Also they are pedophiles." Welcome to the thread where people talk about an entertainment TV show. :thumbsup:

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I absolutely plowed through season 1 (overnight), thanks a lot you jerks :) but I'm finding trying to watch season two on dailymotion to be horrifically painful and the :files: are on a site that doesn't take new registrations. How is this show not "anywhere?". I'm scared to read the new post threads and spoil anything for myself, so if anyone could pm me with anything helpful that I've missed, that would be awesome. I absolutely loved the outcome of season 1. It's just sooo much smart polite fun, it had me giggling all night, until I absolutely lost my crackers when the Django song came on. :what:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DoggPickle posted:

I absolutely plowed through season 1 (overnight), thanks a lot you jerks :) but I'm finding trying to watch season two on dailymotion to be horrifically painful and the :files: are on a site that doesn't take new registrations. How is this show not "anywhere?". I'm scared to read the new post threads and spoil anything for myself, so if anyone could pm me with anything helpful that I've missed, that would be awesome. I absolutely loved the outcome of season 1. It's just sooo much smart polite fun, it had me giggling all night, until I absolutely lost my crackers when the Django song came on. :what:

Adblock is your friend

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

DoggPickle posted:

Get a userscript so you can download the mp4 from DailyMotion. http://isebaro.com/savetube/

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Sacro posted:

You're fooling yourself with rationalizations. "I don't hate them, I just hate the country they have made and the way they all act. Except the good ones that act like white people. Also they are pedophiles." Welcome to the thread where people talk about an entertainment TV show. :thumbsup:

Its not racist to say that the culture in Korea is to fit a mold, you dudes are being way to sensitve. If anything he was being ethnocentric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

JakeP posted:

Its not racist to say that the culture in Korea is to fit a mold, you dudes are being way to sensitve. If anything he was being ethnocentric.
Nah it was dumb as gently caress and racist saying it's impossible to find any creative Koreans. Even if the culture is about fitting in that doesn't mean there are literally zero creative or original Koreans in a country of over 50,000,000 people.