Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Wow, in the time it took me to do a bit a research and decide to bite the bullet it sells out everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone know of a way to have subtitles always show only for certain users?

Emby (mb3) does this. Speaking of, Emby is getting really close to having parity with the plex ecosystem. I like the server a lot more, and the clients are starting to catch up from what I can tell. Will definitely be interesting next 6-12 months.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

savesthedayrocks posted:

Mind sharing what os you used? I've been waffling between xpenology and freenas.

I don't have experience with either of those unfortunately. I installed Ubuntu because the person I set up Plex for has some experience using that, and it was free.

kri kri posted:

Just use windows then. I am using Windows 8.1 + drivepool and its been awesome.

This is what I'm using on my personal set up.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Can you set an apple time machine backup to a win8 box? I've moved away from windows to an all apple environment

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

savesthedayrocks posted:

Can you set an apple time machine backup to a win8 box? I've moved away from windows to an all apple environment

Yeah, it's a bit janky:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/turn-nas-windows-share-time-machine-backup/

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

kri kri posted:

Emby (mb3) does this. Speaking of, Emby is getting really close to having parity with the plex ecosystem. I like the server a lot more, and the clients are starting to catch up from what I can tell. Will definitely be interesting next 6-12 months.

There have been tons of media server apps across years and years. I don't suspect any, including plex, are going to do anything groundbreaking. Plex has more resources via $$ so they do more. It's not like they are better or worse.

Emby looks identical to plex in functionality and how it represents that functionality. what are you saying is "different /better" about the server?

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 12, 2015

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

There have been tons of media server apps across years and years. I don't suspect any, including plex, are going to do anything groundbreaking. Plex has more resources via $$ so they do more. It's not like they are better or worse.

Emby looks identical to plex in functionality and how it represents that functionality. what are you saying is "different /better" about the server?

I like the server options its gives you. So have subtitles always show for another user, etc. It's much more well thought out then Plex is, IMO.

I agree there isn't going to be much groundbreaking, but emby seems to be getting refined better then Plex is. This probably doesn't matter to most people, but more competition is good, IMO.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
im browsing thrugh emby now.. is there a good overview of features ?

My biggest thing right now is forced subtitles. Plex does it but only when they are baked into the mkv.. I would much rather point to opensubtitles.org and use that for the parts i need it only.

It seems to support a similar structure to plex.. So I might be able to get away with it running in parallel with plex using the same media library

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Roundboy posted:

im browsing thrugh emby now.. is there a good overview of features ?

My biggest thing right now is forced subtitles. Plex does it but only when they are baked into the mkv.. I would much rather point to opensubtitles.org and use that for the parts i need it only.

It seems to support a similar structure to plex.. So I might be able to get away with it running in parallel with plex using the same media library

You can run both at the same time, I sometimes do. The things that I like are the open source nature of the project and the fact that most of the settings make more sense then plex. For instance, plex doesn't let other users download media, only the main user/admin can. With Emby you have more control over user accounts, and anyone can download media. Also with Emby you can automatically display subtitles for other users, but its per user account, not a global setting like Plex is. This is nice so my mom can enjoy her subtitles that she would like on each stream, while I prefer to just enable them when I need it. Also Emby lets you store your metadata alongside your media, whereas if you are running Plex you need to do some convoluted server back to just move your server.

I don't know of a good breakdown, maybe just try it out? The server is free to run.

Apologies if this isn't really Plex related but I thought people might be interested.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

kri kri posted:

You can run both at the same time, I sometimes do. The things that I like are the open source nature of the project and the fact that most of the settings make more sense then plex. For instance, plex doesn't let other users download media, only the main user/admin can. With Emby you have more control over user accounts, and anyone can download media. Also with Emby you can automatically display subtitles for other users, but its per user account, not a global setting like Plex is. This is nice so my mom can enjoy her subtitles that she would like on each stream, while I prefer to just enable them when I need it. Also Emby lets you store your metadata alongside your media, whereas if you are running Plex you need to do some convoluted server back to just move your server.

I don't know of a good breakdown, maybe just try it out? The server is free to run.

Apologies if this isn't really Plex related but I thought people might be interested.

I did go ahead and grab it, and ran a few tests.

It seemsed to have picked up my movies (/media/Movie/*) but my TV shows did not parse correctly (/media/TV/ShowName)

I had to manually start to resolve a lot of metadata issues.

I am really impressed with the user handling / options/ and individual settings, but the biggest thing I am having trouble finding information on is transcoding details.

I watched a test episode of American Dad at various levels, and my i7 was running across all cores @ 11%, something i see with plex doing a full on transcoding with plex.. but even with plex a huge transcode only taxes the cores 5-6% each

Even at the highest quality I was transcoding.. so it would be nice to see what is direct. I'll be sure to monitor it closely in the future

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Are there enough details here?

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Transcoding

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any tools to use with plex to auto rename/move/sort the video files?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeah filebot

http://www.filebot.net/

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Kind of, but since I'm already set to auto I need to tail some debug logs and see what is up.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Woohoo, finally got PlexConnect performing well while signed into MyPlex (I think disabling "Remote Access" was the key)!

Now I'm looking to change the DNS server to an address that is less likely to cause conflicts (don't have direct access to the router so I can't set up reservations). I know that I need to change my PC (Windows 7) IP address to whatever I set as the DNS on the ATV. Would I need to make a change somewhere in the Python settings as well? Or does Python automatically work with whatever address my computer is set at?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't recall having to mess with anything like that. Every so often I find that PlexConnect stops playing nice, but all you have to do is resign into MyPlex on the Apple TV and it sorts itself out. Tends to lose the settings though, it might be due to updates that overwrite the settings file or something.

PlexConnect works pretty drat great though, it's so much better than running a client on a jailbroken Apple TV. Still gets all the latest updates and I doubt it's a loophole that Apple can/will close. Plus I was able to sell my ATV2 for more than double what I paid for the ATV3, which was nice. The only thing I miss are live streaming channels using XBMC, they were pretty good when you found a set that worked nicely, but I have most of the channels that ATV offers natively as my girlfriends family pay for all the packages and I use Unblock US.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I broke down and bought Plex pass and installed the Plex app on my Xbox one. It's great! I was using Plex with PlexConnect on my Apple tv 3 but almost every time I wanted to use Netflix I had to reboot the atv or restart PlexConnect services on the pc to wake up the dns server or Netflix couldn't connect. Now I've got all of my video services on one device and I'm happy.

I want to get rid of the Apple tv all together but the wife uses it for airplay for music. Is there anything like airplay for the Xbox one (even just for music, we don't care about video)?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Watching a show tonight, Plex stopped and threw up a warning that I needed to be logged into Xbox Live. I couldn't figure out a way back in to resume watching a show from my local network until Xbox Live came back up.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

porkface posted:

Watching a show tonight, Plex stopped and threw up a warning that I needed to be logged into Xbox Live. I couldn't figure out a way back in to resume watching a show from my local network until Xbox Live came back up.

If its the same as psn I don't think you can.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

GutBomb posted:

I want to get rid of the Apple tv all together but the wife uses it for airplay for music. Is there anything like airplay for the Xbox one (even just for music, we don't care about video)?

I AirPlay to plex home theatre running off of my mac mini. It's how I connect my iPad using pacemaker dj to my tv's sound system. No idea if Xbox version will let you do this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there an option in PlexPass to delete episodes off my iPhone if I've ended up watching them on another device? I sometimes copy way too much crap into my phone when I travel, and it'd be neat if i then didn't have to go through it by hand and remove the stuff I've watched.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there an option in PlexPass to delete episodes off my iPhone if I've ended up watching them on another device? I sometimes copy way too much crap into my phone when I travel, and it'd be neat if i then didn't have to go through it by hand and remove the stuff I've watched.

If you have plexpass setup to sync "X number of unwatched episodes," when an episode is marked as watched on the server, it will be removed next sync.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I might change over to that, the only problem is then it'll start copying new things to my phone. I don't travel long distances often enough to need that really, I tend to just look through shows I'm behind on and add about 20 hours of them to my phone the night before. Most of the time I'll get through a small percentage, I just like to have lots of choice.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

EL BROMANCE posted:

I might change over to that, the only problem is then it'll start copying new things to my phone. I don't travel long distances often enough to need that really, I tend to just look through shows I'm behind on and add about 20 hours of them to my phone the night before. Most of the time I'll get through a small percentage, I just like to have lots of choice.

There's lots of options. You can set priority order for syncing different shows until it fills up whatever amount of storage you've allotted. It's a real luxury compared to doing it manually.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

You can just tell it to add X unwatched hours of each individual show, it will keep that much on there adding or removing as necessary, and remove the sync item later when you don't need it anymore. It's pretty much perfect for your situation; if you know you're going to need a lot on there for a while, just extend the number of minutes/hours of whatever shows you want and sync it ahead of time.

Only reason not to do that really is if you want specific episodes out-of-order.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, my internet provider FINALLY lit up the faster speeds (from 15/1 to 50/5 or 110/5) and am able to reliably stream music from my Plex server. Issue is, my stuff is all FLAC. Is there a way to have it transcode it to a lower bitrate for when I'm on mobile? It's chewing through my data plan like nothing else.

Thanks!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Hey all, my internet provider FINALLY lit up the faster speeds (from 15/1 to 50/5 or 110/5) and am able to reliably stream music from my Plex server. Issue is, my stuff is all FLAC. Is there a way to have it transcode it to a lower bitrate for when I'm on mobile? It's chewing through my data plan like nothing else.

Thanks!

I don't stream music on my Plex server, so I don't know if this would work for sure, but have you tried switching off Direct Stream/Direct Play in the Plex app settings on your phone? Not sure where it is on iOS, but on Android, the toggles for Direct Stream/Play are under Settings > Advanced > Player. I'm assuming when you switch both those off, it would force Plex to transcode the FLAC audio to suitable format on your phone.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

teagone posted:

I don't stream music on my Plex server, so I don't know if this would work for sure, but have you tried switching off Direct Stream/Direct Play in the Plex app settings on your phone? Not sure where it is on iOS, but on Android, the toggles for Direct Stream/Play are under Settings > Advanced > Player. I'm assuming when you switch both those off, it would force Plex to transcode the FLAC audio to suitable format on your phone.

Thanks, I'm on Android but that doesn't seem to do it. When I look at the transcoding status screen on the web browser and play it from my mobile after making the change it still says Direct Play. Looks like I have more digging to do, I'm sure I'm not the first person that wants FLAC at home and something less data-hungry on the go.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TraderStav posted:

Thanks, I'm on Android but that doesn't seem to do it. When I look at the transcoding status screen on the web browser and play it from my mobile after making the change it still says Direct Play. Looks like I have more digging to do, I'm sure I'm not the first person that wants FLAC at home and something less data-hungry on the go.

Just use Google music? Unless you have an obscene amount of music, just "upload" your music and stream from that. Plex does video well but music isn't really it's specialty

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Medullah posted:

Just use Google music? Unless you have an obscene amount of music, just "upload" your music and stream from that. Plex does video well but music isn't really it's specialty

Hey you, guy with a really elegant and simple solution that I should have originally considered.

Thanks!

Won't be anything to point to my FLAC folder to auto-upload to Google Music so they'll be in step with eachother as well. Plus GM has a much better interface and doesn't suffer from 'can't find the server-itis' that plex occasionally gets when away from the house.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
update.

https://blog.plex.tv/2015/04/30/plex-music-goes-eleven/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRuQs7qwJ0c

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Hell yes, right as I'm trying to setup a music system that's not always connected to the internet. Fantastic timing and I can't wait to play with it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Is there a way to force a transcode of music to mobile yet? Without that it's still largely pointless compared to other solutions.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Khablam posted:

Is there a way to force a transcode of music to mobile yet? Without that it's still largely pointless compared to other solutions.

TraderStav asked that a few posts up. Plex will only transcode music if your device doesn't support whatever format of the media you have on your server. One option to consider would be to use Google Play Music and have it point to your Plex Music Library location to automatically upload and convert the media.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

teagone posted:

TraderStav asked that a few posts up. Plex will only transcode music if your device doesn't support whatever format of the media you have on your server. One option to consider would be to use Google Play Music and have it point to your Plex Music Library location to automatically upload and convert the media.

I saw that, but was hoping it was part of their big "music" update. It seems bizarrely missing, especially since they're clearly putting more than an afterthought of attention into the music part of it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

teagone posted:

Khablam posted:

I saw that, but was hoping it was part of their big "music" update. It seems bizarrely missing, especially since they're clearly putting more than an afterthought of attention into the music part of it.

I feel compelled to update how excellent of a solution it was to simply point my Google Music desktop app to my carefully curated FLAC directory in PLEX and let it have at it. I have an excellent UI and cloud service that is not dependent on my home connection and the frankly kind of spotty Plex app while mobile.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TraderStav posted:

I have an excellent UI and cloud service that is not dependent on my home connection and the frankly kind of spotty Plex app while mobile.

Hmm, what issues are you having with the Plex mobile app? It's been rock solid for me for a while now (save for Android kicking the app out of memory sometimes).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

teagone posted:

Hmm, what issues are you having with the Plex mobile app? It's been rock solid for me for a while now (save for Android kicking the app out of memory sometimes).

Sometimes when I'm on mobile it won't find my server at home. Usually doesn't happen when I'm on a (different) Wi-Fi network. The navigation is also just a bit more awkward, more clicks to get to what I want to listen to. I just found the Google Music app to much more of a pleasure to use without any compromises.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
Is there any hope for the Plex app persisting its app state for longer than 5 minutes or whatever it's set at? If it would just persist, I think that would be the only thing I don't like about their entire suite of features. If I'm listening to music, it will continue to play for a while. Then when I unlock it, it just ditches playback and the app state and I have to re-browse for my stuff again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I just purchased a TV show on iTunes and want to view it through Plex. Is there a way or do I have to find a way to strip out the DRM?