Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My wife is convinced her 99 Camry with 101k miles on it is unsafe and wants a new one. I have a Pontiac Vibe with 150k on it, averaging a bit under 20k miles a year. Am I better off buying the Camry from her, storing it in my dad's barn, then driving it 5 years from now when the vibe is dead? She's convinced she should trade it in.

Edit: it's largely rust free due to being driven primarily in the south and we live in Chicago, making it hard to find comparable old cars that aren't rusted out

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mastershakeman posted:

My wife is convinced her 99 Camry with 101k miles on it is unsafe and wants a new one. I have a Pontiac Vibe with 150k on it, averaging a bit under 20k miles a year. Am I better off buying the Camry from her, storing it in my dad's barn, then driving it 5 years from now when the vibe is dead? She's convinced she should trade it in.

Sell it private party. You'll never come out ahead storing a car for years. If you love it that much you can buy one just like it for cheaper in a couple years.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Thanks for the advice all. What budget would realistically get a car which doesn't need as much maintenance? It's more a soft cap than anything else -- I don't really know what appropriate used car prices are.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Complete car idiot here. Looking for a cheap reliable car for the family.

Proposed Budget: Under $20,000
New or Used: New
Body Style: 4 door? Anything midsize or under really.
How will you be using the car?: General use driving and work commute.
What aspects are most important to you?: reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, price over time mainly

My dad has pretty much always bought cars by asking his friends what they think he should do. My mom is insisting actual research go into it this time and this has been delegated to me. However I know nothing about cars other than Hondas and Toyotas seem reliable. I was honestly just looking at wirecutter for ideas. I'm not good at this. We just plan to drive it until it dies.

Soylentbits fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 9, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Soylentbits posted:

Body Style: 4 door either compact or midsize
What aspects are most important to you?: reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, price over time mainly

My dad has pretty much always bought cars by asking his friends what they think he should do. My mom is insisting actual research go into it this time and this has been delegated to me. However I know nothing about cars other than Hondas and Toyotas seem reliable. I was honestly just looking at wirecutter for ideas. I'm not good at this. We just plan to drive it until it dies.

Under $20k and new?

Just get a used Prius.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

nm posted:

Under $20k and new?

Just get a used Prius.

They had a bad used car experience and are now convinced that all used cars are scams that will kill them. I'm not going to be able to convince them otherwise.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Soylentbits posted:

They had a bad used car experience and are now convinced that all used cars are scams that will kill them. I'm not going to be able to convince them otherwise.

Then they should pay more and buy a new prius.

Maybe a baseish Mazda 3. Maybe a fit if that's big enough.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Spudalicious posted:

Update: I pretty much lost. She ended up with a 2006 Nissan 350z. I can't say I'm happy, just slightly less upset. At least she got a 3 year warranty.

It's too late but you should have bought a Miata.

Grumpwagon posted:

My sister is looking for a small hatchback for under around $10 grand. She looked at a Fiesta, but while she was there, also looked at a 2008 Suzuki SX4 with a manual and 32k miles. They were asking $8600. She said it drove well, was fun to toss around, and didn't make any weird noises and stuff.

I know Suzuki doesn't sell here anymore, so that was a bit of a red flag to me, but I remember reading some good reviews of some small Suzukis (and bad reviews of others), so I wanted more opinions. Truedelta doesn't have much/any reliability data, and I don't really know where else to look.

I know there are better cars, but ~$8k for a 32000 mile well maintained car doesn't seem like a bad deal. Thoughts?

Buy the Fiesta, or look into the Sonic or Fit. What does the SX4 do that the Fiesta doesn't? Nothing.

TKIY posted:

Did this two years ago but didn't pull the trigger. Back shopping again.

Also note: In Canada

Proposed Budget: $30k - $45k CDN
Body Style: 5-Door, Sedan, or *maybe* Coupe
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, funtimes car on the weekend (no track days)
What aspects are most important to you? Performance, toys, year-round capability in prairie winters, reasonable financing
Already have: Midsize SUV, that's the family car this one is mine

Short list so far:
Focus ST - Hits the price range, fun to drive, FWD is better than RWD for winter, but AWD would be great :/
Genesis 3.8 - AWD yay, but it's a bigger car than I need and pushes the top end of the price range a bit too far

Everything else I like (M235ix, S3/S4, Q50) is a bit too expensive.

If AWD is important, the Nissan Juke isn't too bad to drive, but really you should buy a Focus ST.

The Acura TLX and Buick Regal would probably squeak under your budget with AWD too.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

TKIY posted:

Did this two years ago but didn't pull the trigger. Back shopping again.

Also note: In Canada

Proposed Budget: $30k - $45k CDN
Body Style: 5-Door, Sedan, or *maybe* Coupe
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, funtimes car on the weekend (no track days)
What aspects are most important to you? Performance, toys, year-round capability in prairie winters, reasonable financing
Already have: Midsize SUV, that's the family car this one is mine

Short list so far:
Focus ST - Hits the price range, fun to drive, FWD is better than RWD for winter, but AWD would be great :/
Genesis 3.8 - AWD yay, but it's a bigger car than I need and pushes the top end of the price range a bit too far

Everything else I like (M235ix, S3/S4, Q50) is a bit too expensive.

You could wait a few weeks and see what ford announced with their 2016 Focus RS, is supposed to AWD 315hp monster.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Calidus posted:

You could wait a few weeks and see what ford announced with their 2016 Focus RS, is supposed to AWD 315hp monster.

I've been following the RS with slavering devotion but it won't be out this year, and availability in Canada is supposed to be sketchy at best :/

Throatwarbler posted:

If AWD is important, the Nissan Juke isn't too bad to drive, but really you should buy a Focus ST.

The Acura TLX and Buick Regal would probably squeak under your budget with AWD too.

I'll look at the TLX hadn't considered it. AWD is not super important but nice to have. RWD just isn't going to work for the wife though, she's a cautious driver at best. Focus ST is very much the top of the list right now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Soylentbits posted:

Body Style: 4 door? Anything midsize or under really.

get more specific with "midsize or under" - there's a huge difference in size between a Honda Accord and a Honda Fit. Do they want a midsize sedan? Compact sedan? Hatchback?

what the gently caress is wirecutter?

Buy a Prius. If they won't buy used, in four months you'll be able to get decently hefty discounts on 2015s. Right now, you can get 0% for 60 months with $1,500 on the hood.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

http://thewirecutter.com/

They're generally well regarded when it comes to electronics (need a router or Blu-ray player? Check there!), but I never gave their car recommendations a good look.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Throatwarbler posted:

It's too late but you should have bought a Miata.

Buy the Fiesta, or look into the Sonic or Fit. What does the SX4 do that the Fiesta doesn't? Nothing.

Possibly AWD. Supposedly pretty good AWD, too.

keeper
Jun 5, 2002
I posted on here a ways back where I think I mostly settled on a Mazda3 but due to hesitation, my job ending and some other things that didn't happen

Proposed Budget: <$17k, starting to like the idea of getting something decent that holds value for 3 or so years and saving up to get something nicer.
New or Used: most likely used
Body Style: Sedan or similar
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, hoping to get an apartment close to work soon but right now have a terrible hour+ 30mile commute. Also regularly do long country roads and will likely include out of state trips once settled.
What aspects are most important to you? value, efficiency, needs to be relatively attractive and fun to drive
Currently have: a '99 Taurus that's ready to retire.

Visiting the lots from last year seems the mazda3 and other similar cars have jumped in price while leaving very little savings buying used, especially since I don't particularly care for vehicle bluetooth and dislike touchscreen controls.

Still like the Mazda3 and Focus ST but don't really feel as good of value anymore, thinking I should find a Cruze or Corolla to try, anything else I should make sure to visit?

My new boss has a dealership and brought in what seems like a nice '04 TDI Passat with 83k miles that seems to fit those wants better then I would've thought. Assuming I can get over the gas pedal delay what would be the bad, decent, and "Take that offer right now" price on that?

keeper fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 9, 2015

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

get more specific with "midsize or under" - there's a huge difference in size between a Honda Accord and a Honda Fit. Do they want a midsize sedan? Compact sedan? Hatchback?

Buy a Prius. If they won't buy used, in four months you'll be able to get decently hefty discounts on 2015s. Right now, you can get 0% for 60 months with $1,500 on the hood.

I think they want a compact and just have no idea what a midsize sedan or hatchback actually are. They'd probably consider a hatchback honestly as it's been getting harder for them to park.

Prius in four months actually sounds like a pretty good idea though.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
So I currently have a 2003 Subaru Forster with about 160,000 miles. The tires need replaced, the water pump needs replaced, and the head gasket will likely need to be replaced as well. About $3000 in repairs. Car was purchased for $6000 in 2012. Additionally, the car has very serious rust issues and was likely water damaged at some point. Rust is more or less eating away at the body and suspension components. One mechanic even told me that the suspension components were crushed/bent slightly as the car was being lifted up in the shop. Who knows how much that will cost in the future. I've been looking at Chevy Cruze's online in the 14k range. I can put down about 7k for a down payment and afford up to $200 for monthly payments. Haven't really looked at other models, but I'd prefer something within the past 3 years that's nice and reliable. Definitely want to make this car last if i'm buying a different car. Should I bother continuing on with my Forester or take the plunge on a new car?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

George Zimmer posted:

Additionally, the car has very serious rust issues and was likely water damaged at some point. Rust is more or less eating away at the body and suspension components. ...

Should I bother continuing on with my Forester?

No.

The rest is fixable (and should be way less than 3 grand) but rust basically isn't.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, if there's significant structural rust and the potential for previous water damage, it'd be better to get out of the car while it still has some residual value other than parts and scrap.

Buy a Prius.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
As long as a it runs the a dealer will most likely give you a at least a grand for it. kbb ballparks it trade in value between $1k and $2k. Depending on your state, trading in might also lower the tax you play on your purchase.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

semicolonsrock posted:

Thanks for the advice all. What budget would realistically get a car which doesn't need as much maintenance? It's more a soft cap than anything else -- I don't really know what appropriate used car prices are.
Maintenance cost/schedule depends on the car (brand, model, trim/options), age, and mileage. Vehicle cost depends on the same factors, with maintenance cost going up (generally) as vehicle cost comes down. So it's a sliding, continuous scale where you pay $X purchase price in the hopes of minimizing $Y maintenance costs. There is a floor - even a brand new full warranty car has a risk of SOMETHING happening that costs you money - even if it's opportunity or external cost associated with missing time at work because you needed to get your car towed to the dealer. Likewise, a FREE car is widely considered the most expensive type.

Starting at your initial $2,500 budget point, anything is going to require something, probably tires plus a handful of wear parts or common-failure-by-age parts (brakes, clutch, windshield, cooling system components such as radiator or water pump) and keeping $1000 on-hand to deal with that for the first year of ownership seems like a good idea.
Up around $4,000-$5,000 you get a few nicer things, like non-astronomical mileage and conspicuously missing rust (rust is dependent on climate and age, and is as constant as death and taxes in some climates :canada: ). You also get into car brands / models that started at higher values (luxury) or have higher depreciation floors because enthusiasts like them; for example, BMW and Audi. A BMW 325 in basically the same condition (age, mileage) as a Honda Civic will cost around twice the price of the Civic and still have twice the annual maintenance costs.
Get into the $8,000-$10,000 range and your options open up dramatically. Huge choice here. Most non-enthusiast / non-exotic cars at this budget range will be very reliable for at least the first year or two of ownership, and you could probably expect to get by on just oil changes and tires for a few years.

Set a budget - nothing wrong with $2,500 - for the purchase and a second budget (I suggest AT LEAST $1000) for whatever happens in the first year. Zero maintenance is not realistic, but cheap and relatively painless maintenance is possible if you buy the right car / get lucky.

You always need new tires. Always. Just get a good set and be happy for a couple of years.

Personal suggestion: 3rd gen Honda Prelude (1988-1991). I bought one in 2009 for $1,300, it needed $1,500 worth of work two months later but I drove that $3,000 car for two very happy years. Who doesn't love pop-up headlights?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Pop up headlights love to break.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

keeper posted:

My new boss has a dealership and brought in what seems like a nice '04 TDI Passat with 83k miles that seems to fit those wants better then I would've thought. Assuming I can get over the gas pedal delay what would be the bad, decent, and "Take that offer right now" price on that?
This is a very rare car and might hold more value than a normal B5 passat.
However, it will have all the usual B5 problems, including an extremely complex, fragile suspension system that is also very expensive to fix. They also issues with water intrusion, mostly from the sunroof on later cars (mostly from the front on earlier cars), that can mess up the ecu, ccu, and tcu and related electronics, creating a nighmare. The transmissions also have issues, but if you changed the ATF now and changed it every 30k mi from now on, you might be ok.
If it has green or orange (pink is ok and may look similar) coolant, run.
Also, they have a fatal oil pump issue that is a 8+ job if you catch the squeak and a new (hard to get) motot if not. Maybe I should have started with that.
Basically a 1997 to 2005 Passat is never a good ideam

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Test driving the ATS tomorrow.

Infiniti dealer has a 2014 show floor demo Q50 Hybrid with a $12k discount up for sale. Only 220km. However it has the adaptive steering which is apparently just awful.

Still I'm tempted. lovely pearl white colour but it's loaded, has AWD, 360hp and makes 7.8L/100km in the city.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Just got a Nissan Rogue 2012 SL... pretty sweet as it came loaded with leather interiors, navigation, rear camera and blind-spot camera, all for $18k. Pretty good shape too... The only thing that needs updating is the Navigation software SD card, (Nissan LCN2 KAI Navigation System 2015 Year SD Card v.6.0) Everywhere I have seen it listed it's at $99. If I could find it at $50 id buy it but dunno yet if it's worth $99.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

semicolonsrock posted:

Proposed Budget: <$2,500

New or Used: Used, given the price range

Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?): Cheap, but large enough body to fit a very tall person when driving. Some compacts don't do this.

How will you be using the car?: Occasional road trips; grocery trips; other things which can't be accomplished with a bus or a bike. Basically I want to stop having to rent cars for crazy prices, and have a way to move heavy things long distances which doesn't involve carrying them on a bus.

What aspects are most important to you?: I would really, really like to never have to upkeep the car any more than a tune up every so often.

I know this is from the previous page, but thought I'd chime in since I have some experience here.

Look for a cheap truck, especially a Ford Ranger. I picked up a '00 Mazda B2500 (rebadged Ranger) for $800 in excellent mechanical shape. The engine is old as piss (first used on the Pinto and parts are cheap as hell for it), 5-speed manual, 2WD. I see them all over Craigslist in the $1500ish range in reasonably good condition. Expect rust and dents, actually try to look for those because they'll drive the value down while not affecting the useability (unless it's really bad).

They don't come much more bulletproof than that, and it's a truck so it gives you some added utility. The downside is they only get about 25mpg on the highway. The upside is that headroom seems to be enormous.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 13, 2015

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
My wife and I are in the market to purchase a car.

Our Budget: $10k

New or Used: Used, but would like 2008 or newer if possible

Body Style: 4 Door SUV. We want something that is higher up but not a tank.

How will you be using the car?: The car will be the family car. We are expecting another baby and need something bigger that 2 kids and 2 adults can fit in. We go on frequent road trips, anywhere between 3 - 12 hours drives. Having room for my wife or I to slip in the back where the kids are sitting and deal with them would be amazing.

What aspects are most important to you?: Safety, MPG and reliability are the most important to us.

We have talked about what we want in a car and every time we come to the conclusion that a minivan fits our needs; we would like 3 rows with the second row being captain chairs. However, we do not want a minivan so are open to ideas of other cars that will be spacey enough for long road trips for a family of 4.

Thanks in advance!

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Why wouldn't you want a minivan? Have you tried it out, or are you susceptible to the image issue of owning a minivan?

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Proposed Budget: ~$10k before taxes, maybe ~12k before taxes if it'll mean a good leap in quality
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4 door, although I'm not picky at all on it aside from it has to be a car.
How will you be using the car?: To and from work every day (30 km) and driving around a lot of the day from site to site (around 400 km a month +/- 100) and every day driving.
What aspects are most important to you?: Fuel economy, price, be half decent in snow and on ice (though I will have winter tires), reliable. Don't need anything flashy or anything with all the bells and whistles.

I've been considering something like a 2012 Kia Forte but I'm open to suggestions. One of the guys I work with has access to a weekly dealers-only auction that seems to have good prices, so I'll probably go through him. So far I've seen 2011 Nissan Sentra, 2012 Kia forte, 2010 Mazda 3, and 2011 Chevy Cruz all with around 50k km and for around $10,000. I've heard so so things about Kia and other than that I'm clueless. I really am going to try to have it bought at this Thursday's auction, so if anyone can suggest makes/models/years I should go for before then I'd really appreciate it.

Gringo Heisenberg fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 13, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Proposed Budget: ~$10k before taxes, maybe ~12k before taxes if it'll mean a good leap in quality
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4 door, although I'm not picky at all on it aside from it has to be a car.
How will you be using the car?: To and from work every day (30 km) and driving around a lot of the day from site to site (around 400 km a month +/- 100) and every day driving.
What aspects are most important to you?: Fuel economy, price, be half decent in snow and on ice (though I will have winter tires), reliable. Don't need anything flashy or anything with all the bells and whistles.

Unless you have something against them, you should probably buy a Prius.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

IRQ posted:

Unless you have something against them, you should probably buy a Prius.

Would but they start at around $18k - 20k (without taxes/fees) for a 4 year old used model here. Really leaning towards the 2011 or 2012 Mazda 3.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Claverjoe posted:

Why wouldn't you want a minivan? Have you tried it out, or are you susceptible to the image issue of owning a minivan?

I do not like how minivans drive. I have driven the Nissan quest and Kia Sorento and hated them. The image is also an issue, however a small one (bigger issue for my wife).

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Claverjoe posted:

This. Seriously, I've rented minivans (most recently a new Toyota Sienna) and the amount of room inside is absolutely unparallelled. They're comfortable, safer than SUVs (not as susceptible to rollovers) and handle far better.

If you don't like how the ones you've been in drive, try out the rest. Try the Toyota, the Chrysler Grand Caravan and a newer Kia Sorento (I think they just redesigned it, the old one was rubbish).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CornHolio posted:

This. Seriously, I've rented minivans (most recently a new Toyota Sienna) and the amount of room inside is absolutely unparallelled. They're comfortable, safer than SUVs (not as susceptible to rollovers) and handle far better.

If you don't like how the ones you've been in drive, try out the rest. Try the Toyota, the Chrysler Grand Caravan and a newer Kia Sorento (I think they just redesigned it, the old one was rubbish).

Also, if you don't need anything huge, the Mazda 5 has 3 rows (but the third row is for children only) and drives like the Mazda 3 it is.

The Honda also drives really well, but for $10k, you're looking at an old and abused one as they hold value.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

CornHolio posted:

Ah, I imagined an SUV would be safer because it is higher up. I am looking at mini-vans now, wife is gritting her teeth but that is manageable. Never saw myself driving a mini-van, darn tootin kids.

nm posted:

Also, if you don't need anything huge, the Mazda 5 has 3 rows (but the third row is for children only) and drives like the Mazda 3 it is.

The Honda also drives really well, but for $10k, you're looking at an old and abused one as they hold value.

The CX-5? The MX-5 is THE BEST!!!

My wife wants to avoid Honda like the plague. Why? I have no clue.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fixit posted:

The CX-5? The MX-5 is THE BEST!!!

My wife wants to avoid Honda like the plague. Why? I have no clue.

No, the Mazda 5, not the CX-5. It's a Mazda 3 wagon with sliding doors.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Mazda 5 has significantly lesser IIHS ratings than the Mazda 3. IIRC it hasn't been updated as recently.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

Mazda 5 has significantly lesser IIHS ratings than the Mazda 3. IIRC it hasn't been updated as recently.

He's shopping 10k cars. A 10k mazda 3 isn't going to be the new one either.
I wouldn't be recommending a new one, but compared to other 10k cars, it is just fine.
The last gen mazda 3 or the last gen virtually everything will do poorly on small overlap.
The only newish minivan he might be able to get is a t&c and it sucked at the small offset. The last gen kia failed roof strength and didn'y do a small overlap.

nm fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 14, 2015

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

No, the Mazda 5, not the CX-5. It's a Mazda 3 wagon with sliding doors.

Oh, when I did a search of "Mazda 5" the first two cars were the CX-5 and MX-5. I now see just the 5.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The Mazda 5 seems to have about the same space behind the 3rd row as my GTI, which seems way too small for the giant strollers people have. Anyone have experience with them?

(my sis is expecting a third kid and will probably need a double stroller at some point)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Uthor posted:

The Mazda 5 seems to have about the same space behind the 3rd row as my GTI, which seems way too small for the giant strollers people have. Anyone have experience with them?

(my sis is expecting a third kid and will probably need a double stroller at some point)

Go with a giant stroller and find out.
Somehow Europeans have managed with polos and golfs for years.