Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Couldn't they just do it at sea in international waters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

If you hurt someone by rugby tackling them you are doing it wrong.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prince John posted:

Amen to that.

Is it possible to avoid the illegality if both parties consent?

Not unless assisted suicide has become legal of late.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Isn't Farage a public Schoolboy? He's probably a master at fencing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

Is it possible to avoid the illegality if both parties consent? I'm thinking in the same way that it's not a criminal offence to rugby tackle someone in the course of a game, when it would be assault in a different circumstance? I seem to remember from my couple of weeks of 'law for dummies' many years ago that sport was a special case that probably can't be extended to include duelling. :(
I believe that anything which is deliberately intended (or can be reasonably forseen) to puncture the skin can't be consented to even between adults, such as the conclusion to R. v Brown (Operation Spanner).

They could fence using those electric suits.

(There's obvious exceptions for surgery, but I have no idea how body modification sits, it seems to be a gray area.)

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BigPaddy posted:

If you hurt someone by rugby tackling them you are doing it wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIUp19bBoA

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Prince John posted:

Amen to that.

Is it possible to avoid the illegality if both parties consent? I'm thinking in the same way that it's not a criminal offence to rugby tackle someone in the course of a game, when it would be assault in a different circumstance? I seem to remember from my couple of weeks of 'law for dummies' many years ago that sport was a special case that probably can't be extended to include duelling. :(

Haha no dueling is super illegal, there is a limit to what you can consent to and dueling is pretty explicitly not included. If you had a duel you would probably both be convicted of joint enterprise attempted murder (or muder if you did it right)

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Guavanaut posted:

They could fence using those electric suits.

This is obviously the sporting solution. Come on Nige, we'll put a piste down in Parliament Square. Also, thanks for the interesting answers.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I thought when you challenge someone to a duel they get to choose the weapons

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Inflammatory rhetoric at dawn

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
it's okay i found the secret message

nice try getting that past us, ed

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
This is a whole new level of Clegging: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/the-northerner/2015/apr/13/nick-clegg-sends-student-to-stand-in-for-him-at-sheffield-hallam-hustings

quote:

The deputy prime minister Nick Clegg failed to attend an election debate in his Sheffield constituency on Sunday night, sending a student as his replacement.
Clegg, who is defending a 15, 284 majority, said he was too busy to take part in the hustings at Crookes Social Club, in the part of Sheffield Hallam where most students live.
Instead, Harry Matthews, 22, a university student running for councillor in the Crookes, was sent to represent the Liberal Democrats.
Clegg’s absence ended up a key talking point at the debate attended by the other party parliamentary candidates for Sheffield Hallam and 60 audience members.
Maurice Champeau, the social club manager who organised the debate, said his invitations to Clegg and the Lib Dems were ignored for four weeks: “Nick Clegg was directly emailed on his personal email account three times and Liberal Democrats central office were emailed in excess of five times. It was very frustrating,” he said.
Two weeks ago representatives from the Liberal Democrat central office replied saying they would send Matthews as substitute for the deputy prime minister.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In that case I propose we use students to replace nick clegg in other aspects of his official capacity as well.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Ashcroft already projected a 36-34 Labour gain of that seat before the recent surge of Edmentum. It's likely that Clegg has simply given up.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

I'll pick up Clegg's fallen flag - it's not quite as bad as it sounds.

The headline reads: "Nick Clegg sends student to stand in for him at Sheffield debate"

He did send a prospective councillor; someone who may be representing those same constituents after the elections. For anyone who just reads the headline, that's quite misleading. "Nick Clegg sends Lib Dem council candidate to Sheffield debate" just doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

They then go on to say he was "too busy to attend election hustings" in the sub-headline. Observant readers will note further down that this was incapable of being a hustings because it wasn't on neutral ground - there are Labour Party offices within the social club.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this wasn't a bit of a short-notice stitch up by a Labour-supporting venue, carried with glee by an anti-coalition paper. Naturally, the article describes all of the attacks on Nick Clegg in great detail but nary a word on what the Lib Dem speaker had to say about Labour. I imagine that to book an appearance by a party leader this close to an election you would need to give months of notice. Or maybe he just decided that there wasn't much point in debating the Labour Party faithful.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 13, 2015

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

So the real headline is "Media in cannot be trusted to tell the whole story shocker!"

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

BigPaddy posted:

So the real headline is "Media in cannot be trusted to tell the whole story shocker!"

Who'd'a' thunk it!

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

mrpwase posted:

I'm fed up with all this bullshit about working people. Everybody in society matters, whether they work or not. Working people still face lovely conditions, but the unemployed and disabled people face far worse. I wanna go round with a big stamp that reads 'FROM EACH ACCORDING TO THEIR ABILITY, TO EACH ACCORDING TO THEIR NEED' and stamp all the copies of this manifesto.

I mean it's better than the Tories' unrelenting fellatio of the rich, but it doesn't go far enough. (labourmanifesto.txt I guess)

I totally agree. I'm also going to throw in all talk of "taxpayers" actually being about income tax payers, which really means not people on benefits. Even though everyone has to pay the most regressive of all taxes, VAT.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

VAT is a flat tax so not sure how it could be described as regressive, unless you are talking about how it impacts the poor more than the rich then yes it is socially regressive.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

BigPaddy posted:

VAT is a flat tax so not sure how it could be described as regressive, unless you are talking about how it impacts the poor more than the rich then yes it is socially regressive.

What definition of regressive do you usually use?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

Possibly as a counterpoint to a progressive tax, which would presumably be a tax with inverse proportional scaling.

A reduction in VAT on specific items would be quite nice, basic foodstuffs and the like.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 13, 2015

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Quick legal question: my constituency was a Tory/Lib Dem marginal in the last election, and we've been getting bombarded with Lib Dem propaganda claiming that this is still the case and that the Lib Dems are the only option to keep the Tories out. The thing is, the most recent polls show that's an outright loving lie - Lib Dems are actually behind Labour here as of late 2014. (I know, Lib Dems lying, who'd have thought...) Given that I'm not affiliated with any party, would it be legal to flier my neighbourhood to say so, or would it fall foul of some obscure campaigning law? By "flier" I mean printed sheets of low-quality A4 rather than anything fancy.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

OwlFancier posted:

Possibly as a counterpoint to a progressive tax, which would presumably be a tax with inverse proportional scaling.

A reduction in VAT on specific items would be quite nice, basic foodstuffs and the like.

Most basic foodstuffs are already zero VAT rated though?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Party Boat posted:

Most basic foodstuffs are already zero VAT rated though?

Oh, are they? I thought they were just cheap. Is that a common thing for everyday items? Because VAT isn't entirely flat if so.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
VAT Chat:

Food and drink for human consumption is usually zero-rated but some items are standard-rated, including alcoholic drinks, confectionery, crisps and savoury snacks, hot food, sports drinks, hot takeaways, ice cream, soft drinks and mineral water.

Because certain food and drink is zero-rated, so are certain animals and animal feeds, and plants and seeds - if the animal or plant produces food that is normally used for human consumption.

Clothing and footwear

Babywear 0%
Children’s clothes and footwear 0%

Protective and safety equipment

Carrycots with restraint straps 5%
Children’s car seats, booster seats and booster cushions 5%
Children’s safety seats with bare wheeled framework 5%
Cycle helmets - CE marked 0%
Motorcycle helmets that meet safety standards 0%
Protective boots and helmets for industrial use 0%

If you really want to know:

https://www.gov.uk/rates-of-vat-on-different-goods-and-services

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

OwlFancier posted:

Exactly this. VAT is not a regressive tax as it does not change as the amount taxed goes up or down. However it is socially regressive as it impacts the poor more than the rich.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Oh, are they? I thought they were just cheap. Is that a common thing for everyday items? Because VAT isn't entirely flat if so.

It's weird for food. For example, McVities went to court to establish that Jaffa Cakes were indeed a cake and not a biscuit. Chocolate covered cakes attract no VAT, but chocolate biscuits do (or did back then anyway).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffa_Cakes#Categorisation_as_cake_or_biscuit_for_VAT

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

VAT is regressive as it impacts the poor more, there's no difference between "socially regressive" and regressive they mean the same thing

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
any sales tax is going to impact the poor more though....

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I admit the reason why VAT impacts the poor more isn't terribly obvious to me, assuming a decent portion of food is not taxed.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

TheHoodedClaw posted:

It's weird for food. For example, McVities went to court to establish that Jaffa Cakes were indeed a cake and not a biscuit. Chocolate covered cakes attract no VAT, but chocolate biscuits do (or did back then anyway).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffa_Cakes#Categorisation_as_cake_or_biscuit_for_VAT

it's weird in general. Over the years there's been campaigns to get sanitary products classified as a zero rated item rather than rated at the lower rate of 5% as it is currently, but toilet paper is standard rated and no one seems to think that's a bit weird.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I admit the reason why VAT impacts the poor more isn't terribly obvious to me, assuming a decent portion of food is not taxed.

The poor spend all they earn, therefore a higher proportion of their earnings is spent on VAT. The rich use a smaller proportion of their income for consumption, therefore spend a smaller proportion on VAT.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

because 20% tax on a whisper is a higher burden as percentage of income to someone earning £12,000 a year than £120,000.

the only ways to have a non regressive VAT policy are either abolish VAT and make all taxation proportional to income, or have a sliding scale for VAT rates based on income which would be absolutely ridiculous.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Probably because toilet paper tax affects everyone, but tampon tax is clearly rooted in discrimination against women.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It takes up a higher % of their income:

Tax Research UK blog post from 2011 with chart

JFairfax posted:

any sales tax is going to impact the poor more though....

Agreed. You could put a sales tax on luxury items I suppose but in general sales taxes are regressive.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

JFairfax posted:

the only ways to have a non regressive VAT policy are either abolish VAT

If memory serves, I think this is forbidden under EU law. So, we're stuck with the horrible mess. :(

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Prince John posted:

If memory serves, I think this is forbidden under EU law. So, we're stuck with the horrible mess. :(

Because if you abolish VAT/sales taxes then guess where everyone is going to want to spend their money? Of course the EU could just have all member abolish them but then that would mean the EU would have done something that helps which is against it's principals of being a feeding trough for washed up politicians.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is it really that horrible? The majority of states have a sales tax of one degree or another. It's the exception to not have one, and just because things cost those with less money a higher proportion of their income than those with more, does it really represent a big problem?

A VAT rate of 0% isn't going to lift the poorest out of poverty is it?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

JFairfax posted:

Is it really that horrible? The majority of states have a sales tax of one degree or another. It's the exception to not have one, and just because things cost those with less money a higher proportion of their income than those with more, does it really represent a big problem?

A VAT rate of 0% isn't going to lift the poorest out of poverty is it?

No as the money would have to come from somewhere else which will just as likely have the same impact on the poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prince John posted:

The poor spend all they earn, therefore a higher proportion of their earnings is spent on VAT. The rich use a smaller proportion of their income for consumption, therefore spend a smaller proportion on VAT.

Ah, I see.

And here I was forgetting that rich people don't spend all their money, weirdos.

• Locked thread