Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I use "-" to redo the last thing I crafted. Also I use 'b' in the crafting menu to craft in batches -- less useful for grinding skill but nice when I want to boil a shitload of water without needing to relight fires three times.

e: And yes as long as your focus isn't really low foraging bushes will get you to survival 1 very fast. You can even grind higher, if you're willing to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
So it's macro programs, then. Thanks! Keep dying, gang!

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Anyone got a screenshot of their base? I'm curious as to what you can build.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Faithless posted:

Anyone got a screenshot of their base? I'm curious as to what you can build.

Well, just deleted the world because I finally figured out why it was so boring: even with 4x spawn density, static spawn makes it straightforward to clear cities and stomp the entire world as long as you are methodical and overprepared.

But before that, I took a Military Cargo Truck and turned it into the Katamari Hotdog Fortress. Kitchen and workbenches up front and the rest open so I could get all the cargo in range to craft all the inane tools necessary to forge metal weapons. Such a grind, but right before Delete The World, I built a chainsaw lajatang from scrap metal (apart from the engine) just to have done it once... Never doing that again.

Found the initial cargo truck in a Hazardous Waste Sarcophagus shed, and had to demolish a bunch of concrete walls to get it out. Lucky thing it is fairly easy to make an electric jackhammer. After that it was just a matter of splicing in a food vendor cart (no more food worries, sorta) and building a chop-shop on wheels. Eventually assimilated the important parts of... an RV (for water tank) as well as four sportscars (gigantic engines) two armored cars (turrets I never found ammo for) five flatbed trucks (ended up with much cargo space) half a semi-truck (heavy frames) a firetruck (water cannons, same turret problem) and to top it off an ice cream cart.

Also, finally managed to keep an NPC alive long enough to give them the US flag, then do the blackbox thing, then do that other thing. Turns out that the sarcophagus itself is almost trivial with ANBC suit and fencing+rapier... or you can just get a generic hazmat suit and wait an hour or two for most of the zombies to beat themselves to death on the rubble, then dig for mutagen and mulch the corpses. Good to know there is a way in other than the almighty jackhammer.

Kindof a bummer that the mission is pointless and also broken. For all people in the unfun-is-fun "make the game harder" camp, how many have actually suggested changing the gameplay-derailing 'endgame' mechanics?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Huh. Carnivore also makes you unable to drink sodas. (Or technically, gives you the massive morale penalty when you do so.) That's pretty bad.

edit: Yeah, there's gotta be a bug or something with the gun training. I switched over to a rifle to train my marksmanship up to the point where I could install more gun modifications, and I'm now stuck at marksmanship 4 (rifles 5) with a 0-dispersion, 180 bullet dispersion rifle. From what I can see, my skill dispersion should still be 315, way more than that, but I'm just not increasing.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 15, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I think sodas, hot dogs, and a crapton of other pre-Cataclysm food are flagged as Junk Food, so if you have anything that makes your digestion conflict with junk food, you're in for a lot of sadness in the early game. I made a junkfood-intolerant character thinking I'd just eat looted food and avoid chips and stuff until I got some farming or hunting going, but that crashed and burned pretty bad when I ended up really hungry with nothing but two packs of uncooked hot dogs, and eating them stacked up "disliked uncooked hot dogs" and junkfood penalties until my dude was hilariously depressed with -500 mood or something absurd like that. He literally ate a bunch of hot dogs and become more upset than he would have for murdering five innocent people in a row, or probably for murdering and eating an entire human.

Food intolerance drawbacks are goofy as hell right now, is what I'm saying.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think sodas, hot dogs, and a crapton of other pre-Cataclysm food are flagged as Junk Food, so if you have anything that makes your digestion conflict with junk food, you're in for a lot of sadness in the early game. I made a junkfood-intolerant character thinking I'd just eat looted food and avoid chips and stuff until I got some farming or hunting going, but that crashed and burned pretty bad when I ended up really hungry with nothing but two packs of uncooked hot dogs, and eating them stacked up "disliked uncooked hot dogs" and junkfood penalties until my dude was hilariously depressed with -500 mood or something absurd like that. He literally ate a bunch of hot dogs and become more upset than he would have for murdering five innocent people in a row, or probably for murdering and eating an entire human.

Food intolerance drawbacks are goofy as hell right now, is what I'm saying.

Nah, I'm sure there are some food snobs who would literally think eating something like a hot dog is worse then murdering people.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Raw, yet.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Can you still drink infinite alcohol without dying? Because that poo poo was hilarious in previous versions, your stats would just bottom out and you would get super-dehydrated but you wouldn't die/pass out.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
My present character is junkfood/lactose intolerant. It's a little more challenging, you mostly just have to rely on finding canned real food, non-hotdog MREs, and real water/juice.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I finished the reclaiming of the mall. It took me two more days after the ride of the Black Hornet and it's .50 cal war crime. The first day started out okay since I was still outside which meant I could be a firebug, but about midday it started raining which slowed things down quite a bit. I went through all of my Molotovs and .22 ammo securing the rest of the outside and the entrance. Around sundown I stepped into some sort of employee lounge only to get sucker punched by a shocker brute standing in my blind spot. It took turns alternating between teaching me the electric boogaloo and sending me flying back and forth across the cafeteria while I cried and put shotgun slugs in its noodle. With the light fading and an rear end whooping under my belt I called it a day.

The second day I just stormed the place with my police special and some spear action. That is until I found a sporting goods store and started doing drive-bys on a bicycle with my m4. That continued until I dismounted to clear out what I though was a few zombies in a store. Turned out I was off by a couple of dozen and quickly lost my spear inside a pair of deadheads. I found myself stuck in the back of the store, and ended up having to cut my way through the horde with my boot knife. Which I was actually kind of happy about, since most games my boot knives end up being more fashion accessories than anything else. I found a bullwhip on one of the zombies after this, so I finished up the rest of the Mall with a whip, a pair of rollerblades, and a face full of stimulants.

TL;DR:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3W0AnCAZsg

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 16, 2015

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
As much as I want to like spears, losing your weapon in some fat zombie's belly happens far too often for me to consider them seriously. Also samurai swording with a wooden cudgel is too hilariously br-okken by comparison.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

nftyw posted:

As much as I want to like spears, losing your weapon in some fat zombie's belly happens far too often for me to consider them seriously. Also samurai swording with a wooden cudgel is too hilariously br-okken by comparison.

The impale strike seems like the biggest offender of that. It seems cool on the surface, because hey it's basically a free crit on a baddie that isn't even in range yet, but it's also drat near impossible to keep a grip on your spear when you have two of the fuckers hanging off the end of it.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Lost a really promising character to infection, of course. RIP in piece Slim Jim the Biker, you were too good for this poo poo zombie world. Maybe next time the RNG will take mercy on you.

I've been playing around with different starts and so far I really dig the Punk Rocker. Starting with a trenchcoat and a nice pair of boots really takes some of the scramble out of early game. The free weed and smokes are nice too. I'm sure it's not optimal points-wise but who cares?

e; That's quite a start, never been thrown into a burning evac shelter before.

Million Ghosts fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 17, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Did you take the Burning Building scenario at any point in the past? I'm pretty sure the game doesn't differentiate between "shelter" and "vaguely shelter-shaped HELLISH INFERNO" in the location selector, so it'll happily fart your newborn character out amidst a raging Gehenna of pain and death if you happened to burn a shelter down with another character.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
That explains it :v: Cooked inside while accidentally not placing a brazier on an old character, which went how you'd imagine.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Argh! Is there some way to place a "this is My poo poo, please do not break or purloin My poo poo" designation over your safehouse that prevents recruited NPCs from immediately stealing everything they moment they walk in? This is the second time I've had to murder a companion (and eat the massive morale penalty for doing so) because they headbutted through my windows and picked up a bunch of my most valuable resources. I really want to be able to build a proper safehouse and fill it with recruited survivors to form a little stronghold, but everyone I bring home apart from the static starting NPC instantly tries to gaffle everything in sight.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Argh! Is there some way to place a "this is My poo poo, please do not break or purloin My poo poo" designation over your safehouse that prevents recruited NPCs from immediately stealing everything they moment they walk in? This is the second time I've had to murder a companion (and eat the massive morale penalty for doing so) because they headbutted through my windows and picked up a bunch of my most valuable resources. I really want to be able to build a proper safehouse and fill it with recruited survivors to form a little stronghold, but everyone I bring home apart from the static starting NPC instantly tries to gaffle everything in sight.

"Hey wait, I want to pick up that IntegratedToolset CBM" :commissar:

If you trade them a whole lot of expensive stuff (have to 'force' the trade with shift-T so they have negative money) most persuasion checks become 100% if they are in debt.

Then post them on guard somewhere outside visual range.

Also you can trade them enough bulky worthless junk to exceed both their volume and weight limits, but that makes them even less useful in combat.

If/when you do need to kill an ally (when they have no skills to train and/or you get hungry) you can tell them "don't use guns... but attack every enemy you see" or maybe just tell them to bugger off on their own which makes them go neutral (also can't be recruited again, not like it matters) then they aren't a 'friend' so you don't get the usual -500 morale for murdering them.

edit: whoa crap, just discovered the advanced inventory (/) has an option to move to 'grabbed vehicle' instead of having to pick a direction.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 17, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Didn't someone say that bulletin boards could help with keeping NPC's out of your way? There was a post somewhere back in the topic.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Archonex posted:

Didn't someone say that bulletin boards could help with keeping NPC's out of your way? There was a post somewhere back in the topic.

Bulletin boards keep NPCs in place instead of following you and/or killing every monster in sight until death, yeah. I don't know for sure if they help with NPCs stealing everything that isn't nailed down though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

gently caress sinkholes :( Had a really interesting jack-of-all-trades run that started out in a shelter with an infected companion, far from civilization, with a lab to the north, bunker to the south, and forests, swamps, and rivers most of the way around the edge of visible range. I was scraping by on foraging and hunting until I found a bunch of dead scientists and popped open that lab (had to sneak past a tank drone to get there!), and discovered it was an ice lab. I was in the process of poking around the swamp for food so I could gear up for a bundled-up lab dive to look for antibiotics when I stepped into a sinkhole. With no rope to get out, I was basically stuck in a little pit, unable to do anything; I was cutting up my clothes for rags to weave together a rope, which I thought was really clever, until I found out that dropping or disassembling anything while in a sinkhole causes you to "put your <item> in the solid rock" and effectively destroy it. The most depressing death :negative:

Still, I can start up another character to look around that lab - there were some loving sweet CBMs in there, including a Joint Torsion Ratchet and I think an Integrated Toolset. I just need to go in prepared.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

gently caress sinkholes :( Had a really interesting jack-of-all-trades run that started out in a shelter with an infected companion, far from civilization, with a lab to the north, bunker to the south, and forests, swamps, and rivers most of the way around the edge of visible range. I was scraping by on foraging and hunting until I found a bunch of dead scientists and popped open that lab (had to sneak past a tank drone to get there!), and discovered it was an ice lab. I was in the process of poking around the swamp for food so I could gear up for a bundled-up lab dive to look for antibiotics when I stepped into a sinkhole. With no rope to get out, I was basically stuck in a little pit, unable to do anything; I was cutting up my clothes for rags to weave together a rope, which I thought was really clever, until I found out that dropping or disassembling anything while in a sinkhole causes you to "put your <item> in the solid rock" and effectively destroy it. The most depressing death :negative:
When the game just fucks you over like that, just use the debug menu to cheat yourself a rope. The sinkholes and minefields in this game are complete bullshit (at least the minefields have signs in the newer versions).

Speaking of the game being bullshit, how hard would it be to edit the allowed professions for the various scenarios?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

AceRimmer posted:

When the game just fucks you over like that, just use the debug menu to cheat yourself a rope. The sinkholes and minefields in this game are complete bullshit (at least the minefields have signs in the newer versions).
Agreeing on the guilt-free cheating. A lot of mechanics gently caress you over for no good reason, except to amuse whatever jackass coded them.

Saw a commit yesterday(?) that makes guns 20x as loud, for the sake of... Balance? Fun? Gameplay benefit? Nope! Someone just arbitrarily wanted it that way and cited ~realism~

Because mutant cyborgs in power armor have to have loud guns? So realistic.

AceRimmer posted:

Speaking of the game being bullshit, how hard would it be to edit the allowed professions for the various scenarios?

Not very hard. The file is [cataclysm]\data\json\scenarios\scenarios.json

Most of the syntax is self-explanatory. Search a bit, copypaste a bit.

By the way, the "challenge-abandoned" scenario is kinda broken in that it gives the stated +8points for character generation, but also forces you to take the Frail trait (-50%hp) for 'free' instead of the usual +6 you'd get for selecting it. Which makes it much much more crippling than things like the "Infected' or "Burning Building" starts but with even less reward.

With a minor file tweak, I made food that normally always spawns in cardboard boxes instead not spawn in cardboard boxes... because it is rarely of any benefit (fewer keystrokes to eat all the poptarts in one go) to have the box occupy space/weight (or even exist) and manually emptying them is a pointless hassle.

edddddit:

silentsnack posted:

whoa crap, just discovered the advanced inventory (/) has an option to move to 'grabbed vehicle' instead of having to pick a direction.
Apparently this also created a bug that sometimes duplicates items if you try to move from 'all adjacent' instead of selecting the vehicle. Ah, experimental. Now to figure out what to do with 700lb of macaroni because no way am I going to unbox all of that.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 17, 2015

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
A better method would be to have you get the wrapper/box after you consume the full stack as sort of a byproduct. That way you can still get some kindling/fletching.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

silentsnack posted:

Not very hard. The file is [cataclysm]\data\json\scenarios\scenarios.json

Most of the syntax is self-explanatory. Search a bit, copypaste a bit.
Thanks! :woop:

It was as easy as just removing the code containing allowed professions for all the various scenarios. Beekeeper locked in a lab challenge here I come!

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Is there a way to sort items on the ground/in a container? I have several hundred items on one square and it is incredibly tedious finding the one I'm looking for.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Advanced inventory lets you do that, along with filtering and a lot of other stuff.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Yeah the category filter in advanced inventory is incredible and I can't imagine trying to sort through a zombie kill square without it (okay I can but it's terrible).

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I haven't played this since the goon mod was a thing. Just around the time it was balancing the arrows to be less OP.
Working cars seem much easier to find or I have just been lucky. Back then a vehicle either had fuel or a working engine, but not both. I came across two working electric cars and a partially filled gas car.
On a good first run a deep bite turned infected. I took a car across the map looking for a pharmacy and came across a roadblock armed with turrents which quickly wrecked my poo poo. Another new encounter I think.

Anything else I should look out for, I hear NPCs are now a thing but I've yet to meet one.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think NPC's are off by default. Go ahead and turn them on. They can still be a bit wonky, but they add a lot of variety to the game. And yeah, being able to find functional vehicles is really nice.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Another stupid question. I built a self bow and some unfletched small game arrows but I have no idea how to use them together. Attempting to murder squirrels just results in me beating the poo poo out of them with the bow. Am I doing something wrong or are unfletched arrows just impossible to use?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

1) Are you firing the arrows with f?
2) Are you selecting the arrow type by looking near the top of the screen and pressing the right keyboard button? (this shows up whenever you have more than one type of arrow you could shoot, such as for instance a stack of unfletched game arrows and a stack of wooden shafts)

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

1) Are you firing the arrows with f?
2) Are you selecting the arrow type by looking near the top of the screen and pressing the right keyboard button? (this shows up whenever you have more than one type of arrow you could shoot, such as for instance a stack of unfletched game arrows and a stack of wooden shafts)

Pressing f just gives me an "out of ammo" message. Pressing the right keyboard button just moves me to the right. Attempting to load the bow with arrows from the inventory gives me a "HEY BRO gently caress OFF THE BOW WILL LOAD ARROWS WHEN IT NEEDS TO" message.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
They need to be fletched.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Low level Archery is obnoxiously stupid and unintuitive in that it has a fuckload of ammunition recipes which all require a bunch of different parts, and you can craft some of the parts for arrow types you can't craft yet, so you end up with a mess of poo poo that's called arrows but isn't arrows and a handful of really crappy arrows that are arrows but are bad. IMO the "unfletched <arrow type>" and "fletched <same arrow type>" recipes should always unlock at the same level.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I think you can use unfletched wooden arrow shafts in a self bow, or could at some point anyways.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
The worst is the completely undocumented system for skill caps. If you have a great bow and arrows, for some reason they'll only level you to like 3 in archery. But then some lovely blowgun will train you to 7 or higher. Then I think the bow can work again, or something. But god forbid anyone write out how it works anyhwere. I still have no clue how to level handguns and rifles.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Fermented Tinal posted:

I think you can use unfletched wooden arrow shafts in a self bow, or could at some point anyways.

Tried it yesterday and nope, doesn't do a drat thing. For everything DDA fixes they sure don't bother untangling some of the worst BS.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Archery is one of those skills you have to get books for or haha forget it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
NPC suicide: feature or bug? Noticed it a few times now. Once from a fleeing hostile NPC when I got too close and once from a refugee shelter merchant after his guards died.

All else (like location, resource access etc) being equal, does anyone think either a prison or a vacant refugee shelter makes a better fortifiable permanent homebase? The prison has interior bars and doors in case of perimeter breach, but metal bars/doors can be placed at windows/chokepoints in the refugee shelter for the same effect. The refugee shelter has stronger double-thick walls, but the windows are a weak point until they are replaced with metal doors (fronted by traps, naturally). The prison has the advantage of a roomy underground so that enemies can't be in the reality bubble while sleeping/crafting downstairs. I think I can justify using the map editor to add an accessible basement to the refugee shelter and unlocking all doors now that the NPCs just died to a marauding horde.

So what's the most successful fortification work other players have constructed, and at what locations?