Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

37th Chamber posted:

Not sure what it's like out West, but last time there was congestion in Ontario, Teksavvy had a multiple Gbps links, collecting dust waiting weeks ( the longest time incumbents have to respond, per-CRTC rulings) for the respective incumbent to light them up.

Is Teksavvy's dismissive "blame the incumbent" attitude towards every aspect of support annoying as gently caress? Yup, but sometimes they have no legal recourse to make the incumbents stop dragging their feet.

(Ironic I am defending Teksavvy while I currently have a half-bricked DSL modem due to Bell pushing a bum firmware update and both parties are effectively telling me, get hosed :haw:)

There is a known lead time for bringing those links online, they have to be scheduled in advance, this is not a particularly egregious requirement in a large scale operation. But Teksavvy's failure to plan for their network's bandwidth needs gets blamed on the incumbents.

Going through DSLr forums shows week after week of, "we're bringing another (1,2,3,4) 10g link(s) online, hopefully this will fix it". The fact that they can't bring new links online on the fly is unfortunate but a known condition, so it really is a failure to plan for the needed capacity. This happened all this winter too in Ontario, and last winter. Despite this exact scenario having happened the previous year they were left scrambling to bring capacity online, apparently shocked that people were staying in and using the internet when the weather was bad.

My favourite was the shift to aggregate POI links (Rogers' network in Ontario) a couple years ago. There were massive peak time congestion issues and this was blamed solely on shoddy last mile infrastructure from Rogers, the move to APOI was going to fix everything. And then it didn't. Because it turned out that the local node congestion was just masking the fact that Teksavvy didn't have enough bandwidth for all those connections to begin with. And so they scrambled to bring more links online and blame was placed on Rogers for not immediately putting the new connections in place, despite the fact that it was Teksavvy's responsibility to plan for the needs of their network and schedule upgrades accordingly.

So yes, the incumbents make things very difficult at times, and they definitely don't go out of their way to make resolving issues any easier. But they operate essentially as huge bureaucracies, there are rules and regulations and schedules for getting things done and they generally do get done to spec and on time as long as every t is crossed and i dotted. Blaming them because a provider is playing fast and loose rather than following the rules is unhelpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Volguus posted:

Odds are Telus won't let them. Same like Start.ca who cannot offer 250/20 because Rogers won't let them (the reason is that they need a special kind of modem and poo poo, but in reality ... why not keep them out if you can?).

Why couldn't start.ca get that "special modem"?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
To be fair, there have been 0 helpful posts to the guy since he brought it up. What is this thread supposed to do but commiserate about paying for internet in Canada

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mantle posted:

Why couldn't start.ca get that "special modem"?

In this case because Rogers are being dicks and will not certify any modems except their own for use on that tier and will not activate their own modem for any other provider (since presumably there's no way to "buy" one from anyone but Rogers that's actually certified).

Same reason why Teksavvy pulled everything above 60Mbps. Rogers won't activate the older 8x4 channel modems for tiers above 60Mbps now and there aren't yet any other certified modems that aren't exclusively offered by Rogers. This is a very black-and-white case of the incumbent being anti-competitive dicks, and you'll notice it doesn't only affect Teksavvy.

Zigmidge posted:

To be fair, there have been 0 helpful posts to the guy since he brought it up. What is this thread supposed to do but commiserate about paying for internet in Canada

The thing is white-knighting a company that has lovely practices that adversely affect their customers just to stick it to a larger company that also has lovely practices doesn't really address the issue with why internet service is lovely in Canada.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 15, 2015

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Fair enough points, with how large Teksavvy has ballooned over the years, they really should have the metrics and experience to know when to start firing up new links before it's an issue.

On the cable front, Teksavvy actually has a couple CISCO3848 24x8 units, but the plans are still so prohibitively expensive from a CBB standpoint, they (or any TPIA) don't offer them outside grandfather plans.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

infernal machines posted:

doesn't really address the issue with why internet service is lovely in Canada.

Okay then. Let's brainstorm ways in which we Canadian Internet customers can improve the quality of our Internet service.

I'll get the ball rolling:

1. Leave Canada.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

infernal machines posted:

The thing is white-knighting a company that has lovely practices that adversely affect their customers just to stick it to a larger company that also has lovely practices doesn't really address the issue with why internet service is lovely in Canada.

The thing is we like Teksavvy and what they're trying to do. We don't like robetel and what they're trying to do.

Nobody can do anything about it but talk from their own bias.

poo poo isn't going to chance in this thread and we're all going to keep white knighting the company we like.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 28, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The thing is, Teksavvy could be better. They do a lot of industry specific advocacy work, and frankly that is great, and they absolutely do deserve to be rewarded for it (even if it is ultimately self-serving too).

But they need to stop running the network like they're three guys in a basement somewhere in Chatham. They had a massive customer service crisis for a couple years due to growing faster than they could handle. They hired people, built their systems and infrastructure, and have to some extent resolved the issues.

Somehow the actual network seems to be falling well behind that, continually. And that's one of the places where people are all too happy to start pointing fingers at the last mile providers instead of at Teksavvy.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

:getout:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jan posted:

Okay then. Let's brainstorm ways in which we Canadian Internet customers can improve the quality of our Internet service.

I'll get the ball rolling:

1. Leave Canada.

Eat the rich.

Alternately, call for their nationalisation at every opportunity.

Rogers delenda est

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 15, 2015

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Ok, so I will be moving to Richmond, BC next month and am thinking of trying out Teksavvy DSL for the first time. Is there anyone out there that has a DSL modem that will work with them they aren't using and wants to sell it? Bonus if you are local.

Let me know if this is against the rulez.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Mantle posted:

Ok, so I will be moving to Richmond, BC next month and am thinking of trying out Teksavvy DSL for the first time. Is there anyone out there that has a DSL modem that will work with them they aren't using and wants to sell it? Bonus if you are local.

Did you check out the Cable service? It will allow you to get better/cheaper service.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Mantle posted:

I actually have a Thompson Speedtouch ST516 v6 I used for Teksavvy DSL in Ontario a few years ago. No idea if that would work in BC, but you should phone and ask them.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Sprawl posted:

Did you check out the Cable service? It will allow you to get better/cheaper service.

I did.

Cable with 5mbps up = $145/mo
DSL with 5mbps up = $45/mo

I need that upstream and would go for 10mbps up if Teksavvy offered it.

Skandranon posted:

I actually have a Thompson Speedtouch ST516 v6 I used for Teksavvy DSL in Ontario a few years ago. No idea if that would work in BC, but you should phone and ask them.

Apparently it will work, but it's limited to 15mbps down. Thanks though!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So, looking at who's available as options when I get my own single apartment instead of rooming. Anyone ever heard of or tried unmetered.ca?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

StealthArcher posted:

So, looking at who's available as options when I get my own single apartment instead of rooming. Anyone ever heard of or tried unmetered.ca?

They look like a chinese run telus/shaw reseller given their location, service areas and tv channels displayed on that front page.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sprawl posted:

They look like a chinese run telus/shaw reseller given their location, service areas and tv channels displayed on that front page.

Hmmph, sucks. Guess I'm limited to Teksavvy and Distributel huh?

E: That really kinda sucks actually, they have a DSL option with 10Mbps Upload, which neither TS or DTel have (5 limit at each). Really could use that, though I'd like to hear their service is legit first.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 16, 2015

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

StealthArcher posted:

That's 2am, you're waaaaaay out of anything approaching 'peaktime'. Try doing it again around 6-9pm your time and see then.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mac and phone on Wi-Fi, PS4 streaming SD youtube.

60/10 plan.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

E: That really kinda sucks actually, they have a DSL option with 10Mbps Upload, which neither TS or DTel have (5 limit at each). Really could use that, though I'd like to hear their service is legit first.

At least here TS has a 25 down/10 up DSL option, it's what I'm using.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

At least here TS has a 25 down/10 up DSL option, it's what I'm using.

Where's that at? Edmonton has only got a 25/5

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

StealthArcher posted:

Based on an earlier post, you're in Ontario? I think Electronic Box is also an option around there. e: Not anymore, I guess!

I'm about to ditch Distributel myself because they don't have a reasonable offering with 10Mbps upload. ElectronicBox and TekSavvy both have a 15/10 cable option now that's barely more expensive than my 10/1.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Jan posted:

Based on an earlier post, you're in Ontario? I think Electronic Box is also an option around there. e: Not anymore, I guess!

I'm about to ditch Distributel myself because they don't have a reasonable offering with 10Mbps upload. ElectronicBox and TekSavvy both have a 15/10 cable option now that's barely more expensive than my 10/1.

Heh,nope. Been living in Victoria, Winnipeg and now Eddy since then.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

Where's that at? Edmonton has only got a 25/5

Guelph, ON.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Got a service upgrade a few nights ago

$45/mth unlimited in downtown Toronto.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 20, 2015

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"... I am literally wet with jealousy."
- Lana Kane, "Archer"

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Well, looks like I'm moving to Toronto...

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's a crapshoot what you get in Toronto. You need to find a building serviced by an indie fibre isp. Beanfield is the best-known one. I have Coextro. I think there's another one or two.

We only have Coextro because our building had a really savvy board member pushing it. Bell and Rogers try to lock out third-parties wherever they can.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

It's a crapshoot what you get in Toronto. You need to find a building serviced by an indie fibre isp. Beanfield is the best-known one. I have Coextro. I think there's another one or two.

We only have Coextro because our building had a really savvy board member pushing it. Bell and Rogers try to lock out third-parties wherever they can.

I'm just going to move in with you. When is good to bring my stuff around?

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
Yeah, the Bell/Rogers fiber plans are garbage. My building has fiber and these are the options:

15down/15up, 50gb/month, $56/month
25down/25up, 125gb/month, $66/month
50down/50up, 250gb/month, $76/month
175down/175up, 300gb/month, $94/month

Make any of those plans unlimited for an extra $30/month ($10/month if you have a bundle). Also, if you can believe it, they just increased those caps like a week ago.

I wish I had one of the good ISP's...

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

acetcx posted:

Yeah, the Bell/Rogers fiber plans are garbage. My building has fiber and these are the options:

Make any of those plans unlimited for an extra $30/month ($10/month if you have a bundle). Also, if you can believe it, they just increased those caps like a week ago.

If you were to use the 175mb/s at full capacity you would last 137142 seconds or 2285 minutes or 38 hours or about a day and half before hitting the cap, what's even the loving point to speeds like that.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

DariusLikewise posted:

If you were to use the 175mb/s at full capacity you would last 137142 seconds or 2285 minutes or 38 hours or about a day and half before hitting the cap, what's even the loving point to speeds like that.

Big numbers are better and most people are confused by the changing units.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

acetcx posted:

I pay equivalent to the 175/175 for 40/2 up here in Northern Ontario. $30 for unlimited to (which I pay, unfortunately, as their only unlimited package is 20/1 which is too slow for my work VoIP phone).
loving hell I wish I had your options.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Siochain posted:

I pay equivalent to the 175/175 for 40/2 up here in Northern Ontario. $30 for unlimited to (which I pay, unfortunately, as their only unlimited package is 20/1 which is too slow for my work VoIP phone).
loving hell I wish I had your options.

Ouch, that sucks. I guess it's pretty easy to forget what it's like outside the city. Sorry for being a typical Toronto rear end in a top hat.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Got a service upgrade a few nights ago

$45/mth unlimited in downtown Toronto.

Every day I see a Beanfield truck rolling around Liberty Village and all I can do is hurl expletives at it as I plan my move to downtown.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

so i got an email from telus saying that i'm at 95% of my "monthly data allowance." are they charging people for this already? my router say's i'm only at 116gb.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Acer Pilot posted:

so i got an email from telus saying that i'm at 95% of my "monthly data allowance." are they charging people for this already? my router say's i'm only at 116gb.

Starting in June they will be charging.

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/get-help/account-and-billing/understand-your-bill/ffh/usage-based-internet-charges/support.do

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Decairn posted:

Every day I see a Beanfield truck rolling around Liberty Village and all I can do is hurl expletives at it as I plan my move to downtown.
If you're in Liberty Village there's a good chance you can get Beanfield AFAIK. They've got a NOC there (or at least they did a few years ago).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

They already started charging in some parts of BC starting at the end of March.