Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I don't know but someone found something similar with Piercing Mileena a day or two back, as well. People trying to optimize combos will need to think outside the box about these things because there are some oddities in the damage scaling.

I found the post that mentioned this scaling oddity, similar to the thing EC mentioned about the Quan Chi combo before: http://testyourmight.com/threads/mileena-combo-thread.49635/page-6#post-1659915

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

your evil twin posted:

I'm in the UK and I'm playing PC. What was the name of of the goon MK group on Steam? I'm up for some fighting!

Played someone claiming to be from Glasgow with a red bar I couldn't combo for poo poo but other than that it was okayish ping no real slowdown. I couldn't believe it. So low skilled to mid skilled fight level matches might be okay with UK players.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Here is a cool Cryomancer Sub Zero combo transcribed where everyone can read it because I am a very inclusive person.

b (back) 1 (X or Square or Front Punch) 2 (Y or Triangle or Back Punch) xx (cancel aka do it really fast) d (down) f (forward) 2 (Y or Triangle or Back Punch), j (jump) 2 (Y or Triangle or Back Punch) b (back) 2 (Y or Triangle or Back Punch) run (do a dash [tap forward twice] and then press block or RB or R1) f (forward) 4 (B or Circle or Back Kick) 2 (Y or Triangle or Back Punch) 1+3 (X and A or Square and Cross or Front Punch and Front Kick at the same time)

Bless you for including X Y A B because the PC port is a dickhead and doesn't use numbers.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 18, 2015

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

I refer you to Kitana's arcade ending.
Nah, that's just Quan Chi being a dick and showing her stuff that didn't actually happen.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I hate everyone who plays as Mileena or Liu Kang in this game. :smith:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

LibbyM posted:

Have there been any Wednesday night fights (or similar styles of stream) tournament type things for Mortal Kombat X? Some of my favourite times when MvC3 came out were those early tournaments while people were still figuring out the game.

NYCfurby has been doing a few the past few nights.

I was playing a few sets with Alex Valle trying to figure out how to do a lobby on PC (looks like king of the hill works well for that and even has AFK mode.)

Gologle posted:

. I hope we get a Raiden spin off game where we explore where he went after Kano "snared" him.

Back in time to bang Liu Kang's mom and truly become his murdering father.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Here is a Brawler Cassie Cage video I made. The midscreen stuff is standard but the corner stuff I came up with today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uwEAVNn6cQ

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Here is a Brawler Cassie Cage video I made. The midscreen stuff is standard but the corner stuff I came up with today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uwEAVNn6cQ

When I get up to mid tier and high tier play I am going to need to do a lot of consulting with you.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How are you supposed to handle being combed?

Like I have blocking down. I have getting around quickly with shadow kick down. I can reliably block/punish teleports, and am starting to pick up when people keep trying the same teleport trick on me. I know enough of Cage's moves I can reliably take between 8%-12% of an enemies healthbar down if they let me, and can punish jumping with his uppercut. Still need to master at least 1-2 combos, but don't really want to spend 3-4 hours in training against a dummy trying to muscle memory combos together so I'm not sure I actually will.

I'll usually get at least one win in per game due to sheer balls out pressure, but what ends up happening is after that first win, I'll get hit with a combo I can't escape, into a new combo I can't escape, into a new combo I can't escape. I'm basically locked into it.

What is Johnny Cage's response to that much pressure in MK10? In 9 I'd do his upwards spinkick since it was so easy/could be done while getting hit, but here it's got such a delay it never goes off.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just finished the Story. (Hadn't had a lot of time to game lately.)

It's not a very complex story, but I was a little confused by the "Stinger" if you will... Anyone wanna black bar their thoughts?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Supersonic Shine posted:

I think you know why. They don't call him the God of Blunder because he's got a fondness for really old shotguns.

Lets be fair to Raiden here. He did not screw up in Mortal Kombat EX. He even managed to bring Jax, Sub Zero and Scorpion back to life while saving Johnny.

If anyone is a huge screwup it's Hanzo for being a dick and killing Quan Chi even though the good guys needed him alive. He could not have been patient and waited for them to bring everyone back to life first.

Feenix posted:

It's not a very complex story, but I was a little confused by the "Stinger" if you will... Anyone wanna black bar their thoughts?

Raiden was affected by Shinnoks corruption from purifying the Jinsei and his amulet(Which he is now carrying around.) causing him to become harsher and more merciless in attitude. He chopped off Shinnok's immortal head as a show of force to Liu Kang and Kitana who have taken leadership of the Neather Realm due to Quan Chi's death and Shinnok's defeat.

In predictions about the next game according to the arcade ending it is likely that Raiden will attack Outworld and Kotal will invoke Mortal Kombat. There are also many hints about Shang Tsung coming back to life in the endings so a Mix of Raiden and Tsung could be the villains for the next game. In my own personal theories I think Quan Chi will be resurrected at some point and Shinnok will regenerate the rest of his body eventually as I doubt they will stay down permanently, but I doubt they will come back in time for the next game.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 18, 2015

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
The update (I think? or maybe it's always been this way) changed the snowy forest stage to be a giant pixelated mess. It's not unplayable but it really looks bad.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Feenix posted:

Raiden, in the act of purifying the earth's life force, was himself corrupted by the evil Shinnok put into it. Liu Kang and Kitana have taken over as the rulers of netherrealm, and Raiden shows up with the immortal and undying severed head of Shinnok to tell them that if they gently caress with him, the kid gloves are off, and he will gently caress them back harder and faster.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

TheJoker138 posted:

Raiden, in the act of purifying the earth's life force, was himself corrupted by the evil Shinnok put into it. Liu Kang and Kitana have taken over as the rulers of netherrealm, and Raiden shows up with the immortal and undying severed head of Shinnok to tell them that if they gently caress with him, the kid gloves are off, and he will gently caress them back harder and faster.

Ok, so exactly as it appears. I guess there were just a couple of large leaps there that aren't impossible but just sort of come from left field. Those 2 taking over Netherrealm... actually I'm thinking of Outworld. Maybe that's not such a big deal. There was a vacuum. And also Raiden being corrupted but still wanting to protect earth rather than dominate it as a supreme ruler. But who knows... maybe he will...

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

In my own personal theories I think Quan Chi will be resurrected at some point
I hope his Arcade Ending happens at some point. Quan Chi, Vessel of the Elder Gods, waging a war against Dark Raiden would be interesting to see.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Since the newest PC update I just crash everytime I try to go to the Krypt. This is good.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Jamesman posted:

Lin Kuei faction broke the servers. I hope you guys have learned your lesson and will pick Brotherhood next time, if you want this game to work properly. :colbert:

This wouldn't have happened if the Shirai Ryu was an option. Of course, I'd pick Lin Kuei anyway since Sub-Zero's my favorite character.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Feenix posted:

Ok, so exactly as it appears. I guess there were just a couple of large leaps there that aren't impossible but just sort of come from left field. Those 2 taking over Netherrealm... actually I'm thinking of Outworld. Maybe that's not such a big deal. There was a vacuum. And also Raiden being corrupted but still wanting to protect earth rather than dominate it as a supreme ruler. But who knows... maybe he will...

Them taking over Netherrealm is kinda bullshit, as we all know which revenant should be in charge down there. Stryker. He's got a fuckin' gun.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Gologle posted:

Raiden hasn't really hosed up that hard though, it's just goons being goons. It's a shame that it's only when he gets super pissed do things finally begin to turn around because then he's willing to break the rules. I hope we get a Raiden spin off game where we explore where he went after Kano "snared" him. Also that scene where Raiden was just lying on the ground getting the poo poo kicked out of him was probably my most favorite scene in the game, even though Raiden's my man.

Did you play MK9? Raiden messed up a lot in that game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Spacebump posted:

Did you play MK9? Raiden messed up a lot in that game.

He has not hosed up in this game however and he would have fixed his major mistake he made last time around if someone else had not interfered.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I think my graphic card is dying but since the patch my screens go black and i have to reboot the PC and it claims I had a BSOD.

I had this issue with another game so its probably the graphic card. Gonna have to call up and get a new one :smith:

I may actually buy a new one.

Whats a decent priced card better than a GTX 660 Ti out there? I looked on amazon for a 770 but it was like 400 bucks which makes me think they dont make those anymore.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Foodahn posted:

The update (I think? or maybe it's always been this way) changed the snowy forest stage to be a giant pixelated mess. It's not unplayable but it really looks bad.

No it's the update, I had no issue with the forest before today but yeah, it's crazy pixelated now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

He has not hosed up in this game however and he would have fixed his major mistake he made last time around if someone else had not interfered.

He really wouldn't have. Quan Chi allowed himself to be captured and his minion was on the way with Shinnock's amulet. Nothing particularly great was going to come of it. Hanzo didn't help things but it wasn't like things were going smooth before he showed up.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Had a big get-together tonight to hang out, eat jambalaya, and play games, and I learned something important to pass along to you: Test Your Luck with seven modifiers and a room full of drunk people is incredible. My face hurts from laughing.

TheJoker138 posted:

Them taking over Netherrealm is kinda bullshit, as we all know which revenant should be in charge down there. Stryker. He's got a fuckin' gun.

Unfortunately he's too busy yelling about what people can and can't post on Friendship

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Man at first I liked the whole win % thing online because it inflated the ego to see high numbers.

Then I got this

Jesus christ man, I can't imagine how disheartening it must be to be on the other end of that, I don't like win % anymore :(

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

Since the newest PC update I just crash everytime I try to go to the Krypt. This is good.

I'm glad the 15 gigs of download are helping you!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

TheJoker138 posted:

He was in charge in the Defenders of the Realm cartoon. Presumably because he was the only male, white American who wasn't comedic relief like that Johnny Cage joker (who never even appeared!).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

He really wouldn't have. Quan Chi allowed himself to be captured and his minion was on the way with Shinnock's amulet. Nothing particularly great was going to come of it. Hanzo didn't help things but it wasn't like things were going smooth before he showed up.

If Scorpion hadn't come by and captured the entirety of the special forces guys then i'm sure Sonya, Jax, Johnny and Kenshi could've prevented D'Vorah by her lonesome from giving Quan Chi the amulet. But as it happened all of them were tied up and Scorps was too busy murdering Quan to stop her.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Al Borland posted:

I'm working on a tutorial for us. I did my first two videos today.
1. Controller setup and you.
2. Basic moves, specials, and simple kombos.

Best stick setup I've been able to figure out is
1 2 4 T
3 F I B

If you do Throws and Interactions manually it works okay, but I'm sure it's sub-optimal in some fashion.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 18, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If Scorpion hadn't come by and captured the entirety of the special forces guys then i'm sure Sonya, Jax, Johnny and Kenshi could've prevented D'Vorah by her lonesome from giving Quan Chi the amulet. But as it happened all of them were tied up and Scorps was too busy murdering Quan to stop her.

Last time they saw D'vorah she was allied with Kotal. Considering it was all in the plan I'm pretty sure she wasn't going to rush in screaming "I'm here to free Shinock" or whatever. She just happened to come out of the portal in the middle of a clusterfuck.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I usually play block button games on pad but I can't imagine having block button on stick anywhere besides bottom left so my thumb could access it, really.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I usually play block button games on pad but I can't imagine having block button on stick anywhere besides bottom left so my thumb could access it, really.

Well on the other hand, this matches much better to your hand's natural resting position, and having to shuffle 3 and 4 off to one side would just be needlessly complicated. And it's not like your pinky's going anywhere else in this setup, so it's barely even a wrist twitch.

E: Also moving over to Flip Stance (a full trigger on a Pad) is available from 1, 2, or 3, opening more combo into X-Ray opportunities with less chance of dropping.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 18, 2015

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Stop scaring me with the alarming messages about the PC patch guys :ohdear:

Also re: King of the Hill, I remeber NRS saying you will be able to access training mode while waiting for your match. Anyone figured out how yet?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

i play with the default pc controls of

code:
1 2
3 4 b
just block with my pinky while my fingers do other poo poo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ImpAtom posted:

Last time they saw D'vorah she was allied with Kotal. Considering it was all in the plan I'm pretty sure she wasn't going to rush in screaming "I'm here to free Shinock" or whatever. She just happened to come out of the portal in the middle of a clusterfuck.

They already knew from Cassie's report that D'Vorah had the amulet.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Is there a mic on / off button on PC? I can't find it.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Captain Oblivious posted:

They already knew from Cassie's report that D'Vorah had the amulet.

Jax also correctly predicts that D'Vorah is planning on going to Quan Chi when they tell him where they think she's going. He doesn't figure out the real plan though, as he stays behind in the Netherrealm to ambush D'Vorah when she shows up.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So as I've intimated, I am the babbiest of fight game babies. I've always been fascinated by them and I've always wanted to learn them, but I've never had the right console at the right time and whenever I do pick one up I always seem to get chased out by someone going "Hey I'll learn you fight games" and picking someone I absolutely cannot deal with and slaughtering me. The time has come to stop being a whiny bitch about that and solve it, but how do I go about that? A certain amount of combo practice is probably a good starting point, and I should probably take Evil Canadian up on his offer before diving into random online stuff, but is there anything else I should really be looking at?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

If you can find someone about your skill level to play repeatedly with, online or off, that tends to be a good learning tool because you can just do a bunch of friendly matches on the reg and pick up stuff like game sense and the properties of individual moves that way. From there you'll naturally go learn combos because there's an impulse to show them off to your fighting buddy!

Other than that, learn a few basic lingo terms. What it means for a move to hit low, high or mid, what an overhead is, what cancelling is and how to do it, stuff like that. That ought to get you thinking some about how those systems work with each other and how you can use them to your advantage.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Orv posted:

So as I've intimated, I am the babbiest of fight game babies. I've always been fascinated by them and I've always wanted to learn them, but I've never had the right console at the right time and whenever I do pick one up I always seem to get chased out by someone going "Hey I'll learn you fight games" and picking someone I absolutely cannot deal with and slaughtering me. The time has come to stop being a whiny bitch about that and solve it, but how do I go about that? A certain amount of combo practice is probably a good starting point, and I should probably take Evil Canadian up on his offer before diving into random online stuff, but is there anything else I should really be looking at?

With slower paced fighting games like MK (I mean relative to the crazy poo poo like Marvel) I think watching tournament level player use a character you like actually helps a lot. I distinctly remember when I moved from being a really casual player of fighting games to getting really into the mechanics and getting competitive. It was when I watched a match of the original Street fighter 4, Daigo(ryu) vs A Japanese Dhalsim player whose name I can't remember. The played some best of 5 set or something like that, and I was watching it, watching everything the dahlsim player was doing and thought "I could actually play like that too", went online and messed around with dhalsim myself and had suddenly had a massive increase in skill from the last time I played, without having touched the game.

Decide a character you like, and really just pay attention to the way a pro player plays them, you can learn a lot from the decisions they make in various situations and adapt it into your own play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

Evil Canadian posted:

Man at first I liked the whole win % thing online because it inflated the ego to see high numbers.

Then I got this

Jesus christ man, I can't imagine how disheartening it must be to be on the other end of that, I don't like win % anymore :(

The win chance thing is hilarious bullshit anyway. I've been destroyed by people who I had 100% against, and the other way around. I've had better numbers and ratios than some people and like 25% chance to win.

• Locked thread