Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
I'm not that big into magical girl poo poo but I enjoyed Madoka because it's only veiled in a magical girl anime. That said, gently caress whoever drew this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

ok that was pretty funny I gotta admit.

but yeah, I'm not going to watch madoka because I have no interest in magical girls at all and I just don't care. although to be fair, all I know about it is that it's about magical girls and one girl gets her head bit off.

it's sort of like how I won't watch my little pony out of principle

Like people keep talking about attack on titan and dr. who and whatnot and all that actually does is make me want to watch these things less.

You are a weird contrarian. People aren't saying these things are good for nothing, but I guess you could just spend your entire life just watching DBZ, Bleach and Naruto over and over.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Madoka is a very strange kind of optimism. The show ends on a ultimately positive note for the world, the movie(?) further so yet our actual characters suffer for both.

Its not an attempt to destroy something people enjoy, its a darker take on a usually very optimistic genre. Never grimdark because its hopeful in places, even if that hope ends up coming out the other end sore and hurting, but victorious in the end.

And while im typing about this, I present to you, a marvellous crossover found by my friend Robzilla, a match made in the cosmic hells that only elder beings dream of. E:

Make it stop.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

GOKU

GOOOKUUUU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

You are a weird contrarian. People aren't saying these things are good for nothing, but I guess you could just spend your entire life just watching DBZ, Bleach and Naruto over and over.

Indeed. If you're not willing to take suggestions to step out of your box to try things people have discovered are good, then you really have little right to complain that the box you've confined yourself in sucks.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i like cartoons that i saw as a kid, and only the ones from them, but if im being honest its really hard to get into ones after that. for example, i like dbz a lot as you know. furthermore, i finished naruto and still read bleach, but i saw them both when i was like, 10 or maybe a lil younger? at the time. so its like investment. finally, there were a few that started when i was still young and i felt okay investing in them: example, death note, but i find it difficult to pick up new stuff now.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Thyrork posted:

Madoka is a very strange kind of optimism. The show ends on a ultimately positive note for the world, the movie(?) further so yet our actual characters suffer for both.

Its not an attempt to destroy something people enjoy, its a darker take on a usually very optimistic genre. Never grimdark because its hopeful in places, even if that hope ends up coming out the other end sore and hurting, but victorious in the end.
I should probably clarify I didn't dislike Madoka - as much as I disliked some of its directional decisions - and I like a good bittersweet ending which I feel it succeeded at. My comment was more directed towards how I felt Madoka seemed to fit in against the backdrop of its genre, rather than as a thing unto itself.

But I already admitted this is informed by my perceptions rather than real grounding in the genre so feel free to take all my posts on the subject with the world's largest grain of salt.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

e X posted:

Eh, it's great that you are so enthusiastic about it, but honestly, I think most of the series you mentioned are pretty mediocre at best. It doesn't help that I find a lot of the usual shonen tropes to be very tiresome and repetitive. For a lot of stories, it becomes very easy to predict the plot at every turn, to the point were you are just bored with the entire concept.

Yu Yu Hakusho was great because the localization team took liberties with the script and the voice actors were absolutely fantastic. It's the best localization outside of Cowboy Bebop and is miles above the source material. Most protagonists make me want to punch them in their face due to their obliviousness, cockiness, naivete, etc, but Yusuke seemed genuine to me, even if he did fall into a bunch of tropes.

It's a testament to why you shouldn't transcribe Japanese dialogue literally, because aside from cultural quirks, it's actually completely terrible much of the time.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

ChronoReverse posted:

Indeed. If you're not willing to take suggestions to step out of your box to try things people have discovered are good, then you really have little right to complain that the box you've confined yourself in sucks.

Or maybe I don't really care to see Madoka or Attack on Titan all that much and they're not for me and don't interest me, maybe it's just that, I dunno. I take suggestions and go outside my comfort zone a lot, I iust don't have the time to watch literally everything there is or any desire to. Also I watch other things than anime.

But if you think I'm a weird contrarian for not being interested in Madoka Magica or Attack on Titan, then okay, you are entitled to your wrong opinion

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
So I've been rewatching Dragonball because I swear work I'll get to you later, and I just got to the part where Chichi and Goku finalize getting married. Man, I miss badass fighter Chichi. Also everything she says is hilarious in hindsight (I have no clue how much the dub added in). "I love you so much Goku I'm gonna be the best wife ever and we're gonna have some kids, not too many, just 8 or 9..."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

dipwood posted:

It's a testament to why you shouldn't transcribe Japanese dialogue literally, because aside from cultural quirks, it's actually completely terrible much of the time.
There was an article by Jason Thompson (one of VIZ's editors) pretty much to this effect. It seems the vast, vast majority of shounen dialogue operates on a purely functional level, "How dare you do that to my friends," "Fool, this isn't even HALF of my power," etc.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Or maybe I don't really care to see Madoka or Attack on Titan all that much and they're not for me and don't interest me, maybe it's just that, I dunno. I take suggestions and go outside my comfort zone a lot, I iust don't have the time to watch literally everything there is or any desire to. Also I watch other things than anime.

But if you think I'm a weird contrarian for not being interested in Madoka Magica or Attack on Titan, then okay, you are entitled to your wrong opinion
Nope, if you haven't actually seen any of it, you can't say it doesn't interest you, only that the description doesn't. It's also hardly "watch literally anything" when it's probably the top rated of their respective years.

It's not like I've even watched Attack On Titan myself here (although I may in the future). I'm pointing out that if you're saying things like "I won't watch My Little Pony out of principle" (and I haven't watched this either) then you don't really have the right to say things like:

quote:

Also I think Dragon Ball, One Piece, Jojo's and Fist of the North Star are like the only good Shonen series
<snip>
Basically a good rule to have is that the only good animes are about giant robots or giant ripped dudes screaming and punching poo poo and shows about little high school girls or guys in weird outfits and giant swords are bad

You've basically made a claim that shows with "little high school girls" sucks without actually having watched any of the ones considered good! This is the definition of "wrong"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Bad Seafood posted:

There was an article by Jason Thompson (one of VIZ's editors) pretty much to this effect. It seems the vast, vast majority of shounen dialogue operates on a purely functional level, "How dare you do that to my friends," "Fool, this isn't even HALF of my power," etc.

I thought that was a general Japanese language thing. It's a language where a lot of meaning is only through context.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

ChronoReverse posted:

You've basically made a claim that shows with "little high school girls" sucks without actually having watched any of the ones considered good! This is the definition of "wrong"

Okay. Sorry I offended you by making fun of little underage schoolgirl anime on an internet comedy forum. I'll make sure never to do that again.

Anyways, swole guys yelling really loud and shooting kung fu fireballs is pretty cool in my book

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Check out this loser arguing with someone over anime on an internet comedy forum.

Twiddy posted:

So I've been rewatching Dragonball because I swear work I'll get to you later, and I just got to the part where Chichi and Goku finalize getting married. Man, I miss badass fighter Chichi. Also everything she says is hilarious in hindsight (I have no clue how much the dub added in). "I love you so much Goku I'm gonna be the best wife ever and we're gonna have some kids, not too many, just 8 or 9..."

Could have happened if Goku didn't keep dying all the time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

mycot posted:

I thought that was a general Japanese language thing. It's a language where a lot of meaning is only through context.
You're not wrong, though it's also far from a distinctly Japanese phenomenon. Plenty of American comics boast dialogue on a similar level. With regards to the article, I figured his point was a response to Internet nerds going on about the purity of direct, literal translation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Okay. Sorry I offended you by making fun of little underage schoolgirl anime on an internet comedy forum. I'll make sure never to do that again.

Anyways, swole guys yelling really loud and shooting kung fu fireballs is pretty cool in my book

'My little underaged schoolboy anime is better than your little underaged schoolgirl anime.'

KoB
May 1, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Sorry I offended you by making fun of little underage schoolgirl anime on an internet comedy forum.

How do you feel about the parts in Dragonball (a "good show" in your opinion) where an old man pervs all over a 15-whatever year old Bulma? Or that part where she flashes her lady business at him?

Or the old man getting the crazy lady to prance around in underwear?

Im sure theres more, its been a while since Ive read Dragonball.

I dont really care about "little underage schoolgirl anime" but youre clearly holding the series you enjoy up on a pedestal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't think anyone denies that Dragonball does have dumb creepy poo poo in it.

At least it eventually subsides and isn't the point.

Though the new movies are bringing it back which sucks.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 21, 2015

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

'My little underaged schoolboy anime is better than your little underaged schoolgirl anime.'

Heartcatch Precure is a better show than both YYH and Madoka.

Back to layout chat, is it just me or did One Piece drop off in terms of action readability from panel to panel? I remember early on it was more comparable to the clear flow of Dragonball, but these days I have trouble following whats going on without flipping back and forth and rereading pages.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

:yikes:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Darko posted:

Kuwabara still had to do support with the soul sword thing that become the most powerful singular thing in the series (it was cutting through dimensions or something). It was after that when he became completely useless.

In fact, wasn't in the Sensui arc that stole the JoJos battles, specifically younger D'arby, that made other people more useful?

They hyped that dimension cutting thing up and then had it be completely pointless. He did that to chase after Sensui, but there was no real repercussion from it.

They did have more Jojoish fights in that arc though, but the side characters didn't end up mattering a whole lot (Wouldn't count Kurama or Hiei as side characters). All that matters is that Kurama literally killed a kid and then sentenced a guy to eternal suffering. Kurama is stone cold.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

KoB posted:

How do you feel about the parts in Dragonball (a "good show" in your opinion) where an old man pervs all over a 15-whatever year old Bulma? Or that part where she flashes her lady business at him?

Im sure theres more, its been a while since Ive read Dragonball.

I dont really care about "little underage schoolgirl anime" but youre clearly holding the series you enjoy up on a pedestal.

none of this poo poo is bad

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Can we go back to power level chat?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't think anyone denies that Dragonball does have dumb creepy poo poo in it.

Uh yeah, speaking, hi, cough cough

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Bad Seafood posted:

You're not wrong, though it's also far from a distinctly Japanese phenomenon. Plenty of American comics boast dialogue on a similar level. With regards to the article, I figured his point was a response to Internet nerds going on about the purity of direct, literal translation.

I often wonder if the dialogue in superhero comics sounds as goofy to native speakers as it sounds when I translate them mentally in German. he same with Japanese. For the longest time I though that it was an incredible stilted language, until I relaxed that it was simply the result of bad fan translation. I mean, I don't speak Japanese, so i can only guess, but I think it is a fair assumption that a lot of the typical shonen expressions are the result of bad or overly literal translation.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Master roshi inspires me on a daily basis

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

vegito is stronger than beerus

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

KoB posted:

BlitzBlast posted:

I read that in Scouter Battle Taikan Kamehameha, Cell's power level was 1,079,956,055, Majin Buu's was 1,199,951,172, and Kid Buu's is 1,379,943,848. Apparently the power jump between sagas wasn't as big as I thought it was.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
nice kicks launch

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Robzilla posted:

I'm not that big into magical girl poo poo but I enjoyed Madoka because it's only veiled in a magical girl anime. That said, gently caress whoever drew this.

I don't get it and I don't care.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Amorphous Blob posted:

I read that in Scouter Battle Taikan Kamehameha, Cell's power level was 1,079,956,055, Majin Buu's was 1,199,951,172, and Kid Buu's is 1,379,943,848. Apparently the power jump between sagas wasn't as big as I thought it was.

Cell would use the Kaio-Ken and body Kid Buu confirmed.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Namtab posted:

Master roshi inspires me on a daily basis

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Rurouni Kenshin, Hunter x Hunter, My Hero Academia, Busou Renkin, Death Note, Dr. Slump (from Toriyama himself!), Kinnikuman, Saint Seiya, Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh!, YuYu Hakusho, Saiki Kusao no Psi Nan, Kuroko no Basket...and that's only counting the Shonen Jump ones I can see from quickly reading the Jump Ultimate Stars and J-Stars lists. There's far, far more. For instance, outside of that you have FullMetal Alchemist, an all-time favourite of mine, or the currently running Seven Deadly Sins (whose quality is somewhat shaky but it's enjoyable). There's also OPM which is amazing, but I'm not sure where to put it considering it started as a webcomic.

The shonen genre actually has lots of really good series! It's just that the most known ones tend to be poo poo that works well for a wide demographic but overall are mediocre to awful, or started really well then jumped the shark and never came back. Many of them owe their existance as they are to Dragon Ball, too, so that only shows the strength of this particular manga even more.

Yeah, Older Toguro. It was cool as hell, a fate far worse than death for someone who absolutely deserved it.

You think Shaman King is good? Maybe the beginning but after they early battles it just 0-100s to stupidity. Especially the ending that makes Naruto's almost look good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kild posted:

You think Shaman King is good? Maybe the beginning but after they early battles it just 0-100s to stupidity. Especially the ending that makes Naruto's almost look good.

Ok, in spoiler tags, how does it end? To make Naruto's ending look good, it must have sucked hard enough to pull a bowling ball through a garden hose.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Hao wins, becomes god, and kills everyone, but then his mom come backs and tells him to stop being such a jerk. He does so.

Covok
May 27, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Hao wins, becomes god, and kills everyone, but then his mom come backs and tells him to stop being such a jerk. He does so.

Is Hao a villain?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Covok posted:

Is Hao a villain?

The main villain, yes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Also in the sequel, Yoh becomes the worst shonen dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Covok posted:

Is Hao a villain?

Yes. He's related to the MC by reincarnation or something, and has been trying to be God for centuries. Also, the entire cast of the series pops by to annoy the gently caress out of Hao.

• Locked thread