Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Memento posted:

Yo if someone could elaborate on this that would be grand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iya6AJgHMBA
2:35

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Have there ever been any second generation wrestlers in Japan? I tend to follow overseas wrestling on and off, but I can't think of a single instance of this happening.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Shibata, Ayako Hamada, Daichi Hashimoto, and Mitsuo Momota are 2nd gen wrestlers off the top of my head.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

EdsTeioh posted:

Have there ever been any second generation wrestlers in Japan? I tend to follow overseas wrestling on and off, but I can't think of a single instance of this happening.

Daichi Hashimoto

E: beaten and with the Hamada sisters, who I was trying to remember. Didn't know Shibata was second gen, though!

E,e: Tatsumi Fujinami has a kid in wrestling

LvK fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 22, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Burt Buckle posted:

I'm watching Smoky Mountain Wrestling (Cornette's Fed, not the newer NWA one). My god, is there a worse promo than Tim Horner? A baby wouldn't be intimidated by his promos.
Horner co-owned the promotion. Speaking of "Express," tag teams, Cornette probably met him in CWF when he was part of the Lightning.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Horner co-owned the promotion.
I thought Rick Rubin was the actual owner.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

EdsTeioh posted:

Also Akebono is Great Muta's kid

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

LvK posted:

Also Akebono is Great Muta's kid

Was this some HUSTLE madness?

Also, I totally forgot that Hash's kid was wrestling. Is he any good? I, too, had no idea that Shibata's dad wrestled. He's pretty awesome, I think.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Gran Hamada also has two daughters who wrestle. It still seems to be oddly uncommon there when you look at how many famous multi generational wrestling families there's been in the US, Canada, and Mexico.

EdsTeioh posted:

Was this some HUSTLE madness?

Also, I totally forgot that Hash's kid was wrestling. Is he any good? I, too, had no idea that Shibata's dad wrestled. He's pretty awesome, I think.

Akebono's really only 8 years old. He was hatched out of an egg Yinling laid after Muta misted her in the crotch.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Thauros posted:

Gran Hamada also has two daughters who wrestle. It still seems to be oddly uncommon there when you look at how many famous multi generational wrestling families there's been in the US, Canada, and Mexico.

Akebono's really only 8 years old. He was hatched out of an egg Yinling laid after Muta misted her in the crotch.

I just looked this up. Good god, I really missed out on HUSTLE...

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
The beautiful circle of life was on full display as baby Bono matured into a facepainted, mist-spitting Great and set out on his own

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When was the last time Orton punted someone? I feel like this has been outlined before but I can't find it

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Aesop Poprock posted:

When was the last time Orton punted someone? I feel like this has been outlined before but I can't find it

Survivor Series 2013 vs. The Big Show

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

EdsTeioh posted:

Cody Hall :laugh:

For real though, Rikidozan's sons became wrestlers. You don't get much more of a 2nd generation legacy than that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

EdsTeioh posted:

hirooki goto is the most successful in njpw of most second generation wrestlers

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

sticklefifer posted:

Cody Hall :laugh:

For real though, Rikidozan's sons became wrestlers. You don't get much more of a 2nd generation legacy than that.

Oh, Mitsuo Momta is Riki's son? I never knew that; Crazy. I agree with Thauros about there just not being terribly many wrestling families in Japan. I guess that may be due to the fact that wrestling hasn't existed over there quite as long as it has in North America.

Here's another one: Back in the 90's when I was big into tape trading, I ended up watching an NJPW event, possibly during a G-1 in the mid-late 90's or something where there was a ceremony in the ring. Everyone lined up and Antonio Inoki came down, walked down the line and shook everyone's hand, except for one dude who he slapped across the face. My buddy said something to the effect that Inoki was "transferring his warrior spirit" to the guy or something. Anyone know anything about this?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

minoru suzuki posted:

hirooki goto is the most successful in njpw of most second generation wrestlers

Who is he related to? Tatsutoshi or Tarzan?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

EdsTeioh posted:

Oh, Mitsuo Momta is Riki's son? I never knew that; Crazy. I agree with Thauros about there just not being terribly many wrestling families in Japan. I guess that may be due to the fact that wrestling hasn't existed over there quite as long as it has in North America.

Here's another one: Back in the 90's when I was big into tape trading, I ended up watching an NJPW event, possibly during a G-1 in the mid-late 90's or something where there was a ceremony in the ring. Everyone lined up and Antonio Inoki came down, walked down the line and shook everyone's hand, except for one dude who he slapped across the face. My buddy said something to the effect that Inoki was "transferring his warrior spirit" to the guy or something. Anyone know anything about this?
A young Japanese fan once punches Inoki in the face, and he responded by slapping the kid so hard it knocked him down. The kid bowed and thanked him. The incident got press coverage and ever since, it's been considered an honour to get a "fighting spirit slap" from Inoki. I recall there was a funny incident when he did this to Lyoto Machida, who hadn't heard about the gimmick and didn't know why Inoki just slapped him.

Chono also has a gimmick where he appears in a comedy group's yearly TV specials and slaps people for screwing up in sketches.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Halloween Jack posted:

A young Japanese fan once punches Inoki in the face, and he responded by slapping the kid so hard it knocked him down. The kid bowed and thanked him. The incident got press coverage and ever since, it's been considered an honour to get a "fighting spirit slap" from Inoki.

God damnit.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
And that young man was Albert Einstein.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I just watched that entire thing. Was that actually Sasuke? Anyone else big in that? Like I think I saw Bob Sapp, right?

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

EdsTeioh posted:

I just watched that entire thing. Was that actually Sasuke? Anyone else big in that? Like I think I saw Bob Sapp, right?

Yuji Nagata and Riki Choshu would be two other big names getting slapped in that vid.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I want Inoki to slap me

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Yoshiaki Fujiwara and Shinya Hashimoto, too.

e: meaning they got slapped. I'd be okay with Fujiwara slapping me but I think he's more of a headbutting guy, and I don't wanna get ghost-slapped.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
So after I guess 15 years I finally "get" Triple H's old "Game Over? drat Right Im Over!!!" shirt.

For those who were smarky then what were the thoughts on that shirt? I know things are a lot more known now that kayfabe is dead and that shirt wouldnt be all that out of place today. Unless it meant something completely and im being a mark who worked a shoot into a work and then a work back to a shoot

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

the_american_dream posted:

So after I guess 15 years I finally "get" Triple H's old "Game Over? drat Right Im Over!!!" shirt.

For those who were smarky then what were the thoughts on that shirt? I know things are a lot more known now that kayfabe is dead and that shirt wouldnt be all that out of place today. Unless it meant something completely and im being a mark who worked a shoot into a work and then a work back to a shoot

It's also a quote from that one JR interview.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Wasnt aware of an interview. Ive only gotten "smarky" in the last few years but not to the point where im more than a casual viewer even now

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Getting scolded about not knowing interviews is a thing here. Like, one Raw, Ryback returns from injury(?), starts doing his squash match thing, then appropriate to nothing starts going on about The Secret and how it changed his life for several minutes. (Seriously!)

I point out how novelly stupid this is, even in the context of pro wrestling, and some turd huffer starts going "nyuhr actually it isn't a surprised cuz Ryback went off about The Secret on such and such podcast listened to by like ten thousand people"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I point out how novelly stupid this is, even in the context of pro wrestling, and some turd huffer starts going "nyuhr actually it isn't a surprised cuz Ryback went off about The Secret on such and such podcast listened to by like ten thousand people"

Why is this bad? They're telling you where the reference is from, not 'scolding' you.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I wasn't trying to scold. I'm sorry if I came off that way.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

flashy_mcflash posted:

Why is this bad? They're telling you where the reference is from, not 'scolding' you.

It wasn't a reference, it was a thing that happened. Ryback starts going off about The Secret and how the universe will work to reward those who think positively and what not to the chagrin of literally everybody, except those people who listen to that particular podcast, who I guess were expecting that to happen.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

RacistGuidingLight posted:

It wasn't a reference, it was a thing that happened. Ryback starts going off about The Secret and how the universe will work to reward those who think positively and what not to the chagrin of literally everybody, except those people who listen to that particular podcast, who I guess were expecting that to happen.

Ah i gotcha. I remember that segment and thought it was a weird non-sequitur about The Secret but didn't think about it much after that. I guess I'm guilty of pointing out stuff that happens on podcasts too, but I try not to make it seem like the stuff said on a random throwaway podcast should be common knowledge or anything. People do that with the Observer podcasts on here a lot too.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

flashy_mcflash posted:

Ah i gotcha. I remember that segment and thought it was a weird non-sequitur about The Secret but didn't think about it much after that. I guess I'm guilty of pointing out stuff that happens on podcasts too, but I try not to make it seem like the stuff said on a random throwaway podcast should be common knowledge or anything. People do that with the Observer podcasts on here a lot too.

Dude apologized previously and I'll buy it. It isn't so much pointing out stuff on podcasts that's my deal here, or even expecting Ryback to bust out The Secret on Raw, so much as expecting ME to expect it, due to the information existing on niche media. Big Dave counts as niche media.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wait, what? The fact that he's labeled a psychopath and D-Kid is just a "shitkicker" makes me even more curious

So, there was an Attitude era fued between Big Bossman and Al Snow. Bossman kidnapped Al's dog Pepper, invited him to a hotel room to give the dog back, and then served Al "Pepper steak" for dinner.

That's based on a "rib" Fuji pulled, I think on his neighbor who had a yappy dog. Kidnapped it, cooked it, and fed it to the dude, then "By the way, you ate your dog."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

WeaselWeaz posted:

So, there was an Attitude era fued between Big Bossman and Al Snow. Bossman kidnapped Al's dog Pepper, invited him to a hotel room to give the dog back, and then served Al "Pepper steak" for dinner.

That's based on a "rib" Fuji pulled, I think on his neighbor who had a yappy dog. Kidnapped it, cooked it, and fed it to the dude, then "By the way, you ate your dog."

You've got to be loving kidding me.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Like all good wrestling legends there's a couple versions of that story. The one I heard was that the guy whose dog he cooked was someone trying to go behind his back to get a better push from Vince Sr.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Where did referring to Dave as "Shave Seltzer" come from?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ZDar Fan posted:

Where did referring to Dave as "Shave Seltzer" come from?

Someone on one of the crazy TNA fansites called him that as an insult.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

What kind of money do ROH guys make? Do they wrestle for a living or do they have second jobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Burt Buckle posted:

What kind of money do ROH guys make? Do they wrestle for a living or do they have second jobs?

The vast majority of them book tons of indie dates in between ROH shows for extra money, because ROH generally doesn't have exclusive contracts.