Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Vicas posted:

I really love the apparent use case here. You happen to notice that in one particular walmart in bumfuck, nowhere, USA this one item is super popular (at the time you happen to be there), and this is clearly enough to make you realize that their stock can only go up up up. You have literally no time to consider the investment because you need to scan that poo poo and get trading NOW

Were they also suggesting portable DVD players were a bust or something? I remember them being pretty popular like 10 years ago, obviously not anymore because DVDs are obsolete by 2 generations and digital downloads / streaming is the new hotness. I guess I just don't understand that commercial at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

Vicas posted:

I really love the apparent use case here. You happen to notice that in one particular walmart in bumfuck, nowhere, USA this one item is super popular (at the time you happen to be there), and this is clearly enough to make you realize that their stock can only go up up up. You have literally no time to consider the investment because you need to scan that poo poo and get trading NOW

This is pretty much how your average retail investor operates, which is what they're after.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hazo posted:

Similarly: Radio ads with testimonials put through a filter to make them sound like phone calls. It's a commercial. I know it's a commercial. Everybody knows that. I know people aren't calling in live to my radio station during ad breaks to offer hot takes on car insurance. It would be unreasonable for me to expect that. Just stop. Holy poo poo.

I drive around all day in my car and since I'm lazy (and my ipod got stolen a while ago), I often just listen to commercial radio. Most of the time I just ignore the ads, but there are several ads that will cause me to actually switch the channel or turn down/off the radio. The fake phone call ones will usually do it, but there are two that are really irritating me lately. The first is a stupid Toyota commercial where they get "Jan" to read off promo materials in some dumb slow voice that is just super irritating to me. It has some sort of intro to it where an announcer is all like "And now here's a dramatic reading of this information" or something.

The second one is for Sabra Greek Yogurt Dip where the lady is being all chipper, but the part that really drives me nuts is that she punctuates some of her points by 'eating' and making noises about it. I don't know why, but I hate it. Screw you and your, 'Oh this crisp bell pepper dip really tastes like crisp bell pepper.'

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That loving Zaxby's commercial where they roll all their R's ridiculously long.

Rrrrrrrrrfuck you.

e: autocorrect

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Fez/2015-subaru-xv-crosstrek-fountain-song-by-joshua-radin

This Subaru commercial with the blandest song I've ever heard. "Gonna wash the dust off my soul / gonna listen to some rock and roll" There's literally thousands of lilywhite douchebags pumping out mundane poo poo like that. Why did Subaru think this song was special?

It would be easy to ignore if it wasn't MSNBC's latest :regd08:. It almost makes me miss their last one, the GE "my mom makes some crazy science stuff powered by the MUUN" ad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buFHobKU78I

It's the PURRFECT commercial for making me wish I was deaf.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hey you, yeah, you. Sign yourself in for a huge loan that you'll be paying back for the next 30 years. What's that, you don't want to? This is America, motherfucker, we crossed oceans and fought wars and all kinds of brave poo poo and putting yourself into debt is nothing next to those. What are you, some kind of pussy? Give us your money, bitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytx-U4XRrOI

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
What's up with commercials that are only ever on for a second? "I won thi-" NEXT COMMERCIAL

I just want to know what the lady won. :smith:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Those are the channel's ads being replaced by a local ad. Your TV provider has a contract allowing them to do advertising on the local level. Usually the upstream channel has some blocks set up for local ads, other times the TV provider just picks a time and blasts over the upstream channel's ad. Depends on the contract your TV provider has with the upstream channel.

If a program runs late though, or the scheduling is weird, the timing is slightly off and you see those 1 second delays in the ad slots.

It's also why you see a lot of ads for your own TV provider at some points. If there's no actual local ad to fill that slot, they just play one of their ads.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Before I knew that, as a kid I always used to be baffled by the ends of As Seen on TV ads that would pop up for half a second before a show would come back from break on cable.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'd always assumed it had been the guy in the control room jamming the wrong tape in the box or something, especially after an incident I'd wish I could have seen.

I was at a baseball game a good 20 years ago on a sunday afternoon. The guy sitting right in front of me got a phone call on his giant brick cell phone and identified himself as a man of some importance at a local TV station. He listened for a minute before he just screams "what do you mean it's looping commercials? On the broadcast?" He listened another minute before trying to interrupt and says "how long? Fifteen minutes!?" He then jumps up and bolts right out of the section.

Ever since then, I've wondered what that 15 minute (at least) commercial break was like. I'll never forget it. He was...out of his mind frantic.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Suspicious Dish posted:

Those are the channel's ads being replaced by a local ad. Your TV provider has a contract allowing them to do advertising on the local level. Usually the upstream channel has some blocks set up for local ads, other times the TV provider just picks a time and blasts over the upstream channel's ad. Depends on the contract your TV provider has with the upstream channel.

If a program runs late though, or the scheduling is weird, the timing is slightly off and you see those 1 second delays in the ad slots.

It's also why you see a lot of ads for your own TV provider at some points. If there's no actual local ad to fill that slot, they just play one of their ads.

You can't escape it on satellite, either.

My local Fox station is especially bad about coming back late from commercial breaks. This was annoying when 24 was on.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buFHobKU78I

It's the PURRFECT commercial for making me wish I was deaf.

maybe it's me being a stupid cat lover but it's not that bad.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

raditts posted:

Hey you, yeah, you. Sign yourself in for a huge loan that you'll be paying back for the next 30 years. What's that, you don't want to? This is America, motherfucker, we crossed oceans and fought wars and all kinds of brave poo poo and putting yourself into debt is nothing next to those. What are you, some kind of pussy? Give us your money, bitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytx-U4XRrOI

I came here to post this exact ad. gently caress this ad and gently caress the assholes trying to bilk more people with the broken ideology that is the American Dream.

Also, "we crossed oceans" has a pretty different meaning to a black person, Quicken. Just saying. :v:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
That's so bad it's almost an attack ad. "Doing dumb things is scary, but you should, because America. Buy In."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Vanderdeath posted:

I came here to post this exact ad. gently caress this ad and gently caress the assholes trying to bilk more people with the broken ideology that is the American Dream.

Also, "we crossed oceans" has a pretty different meaning to a black person, Quicken. Just saying. :v:

If you read it that way, it's actually more fitting when comparing it to a mortgage.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Heh, the American DreamTM is literally projected onto an oldstyle colonial house with a white picket fence.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Sash! posted:

I'd always assumed it had been the guy in the control room jamming the wrong tape in the box or something, especially after an incident I'd wish I could have seen.

I was at a baseball game a good 20 years ago on a sunday afternoon. The guy sitting right in front of me got a phone call on his giant brick cell phone and identified himself as a man of some importance at a local TV station. He listened for a minute before he just screams "what do you mean it's looping commercials? On the broadcast?" He listened another minute before trying to interrupt and says "how long? Fifteen minutes!?" He then jumps up and bolts right out of the section.

Ever since then, I've wondered what that 15 minute (at least) commercial break was like. I'll never forget it. He was...out of his mind frantic.

When I was a kid I remember a day where Cartoon Network played the same 15 minute old Looney Tunes short over and over again for hours. I can only imagine a phone call like that one is what put a stop to it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you want to see what a 15 minute commercial break is like, just turn on TNT, TBS, or FX during a movie.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Dangerous Person posted:

When I was a kid I remember a day where Cartoon Network played the same 15 minute old Looney Tunes short over and over again for hours. I can only imagine a phone call like that one is what put a stop to it.

I think they did that for april fools day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_-6EoNhitg

This commercial has been playing for a while. I know they're supposed to be dumb teens but I can't get over how stupid it is that the stop sign escaped them. Also the fact that somehow after getting t-boned their car ended up in an underpass. Texting and driving is dangerous but most depictions of it in commercials are so stupid.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gaunab posted:

I think they did that for april fools day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_-6EoNhitg

This commercial has been playing for a while. I know they're supposed to be dumb teens but I can't get over how stupid it is that the stop sign escaped them. Also the fact that somehow after getting t-boned their car ended up in an underpass. Texting and driving is dangerous but most depictions of it in commercials are so stupid.

I thought the ones they had for a while where they had a person who had been severely hosed up or the relative of someone who died from texting while driving showing the last message they texted and saying it wasn't worth it were pretty effective.

Dangerous Person posted:

Are you thinking of that April Fools Screwy Squirrel "takeover" or was there some other time when this happened?

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 26, 2015

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

raditts posted:

Are you thinking of that April Fools Screwy Squirrel "takeover" or was there some other time when this happened?

Holy poo poo. I looked this up and it's definitely what I was talking about. I was 4 years old and wondering what the hell was up with Cartoon Network that day. Never knew until now that they did this on purpose.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

bull3964 posted:

If you want to see what a 15 minute commercial break is like, just turn on TNT, TBS, or FX during a movie.

H2 when they show Ancient Aliens is almost as bad, when they put on 5-minute mini-infomercials for the portable induction cooktop thing or the voice recognition software. I almost forget what I'm watching.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

See, the difference is that I got the impression that it was running the same couple commercials over and over again. The same four over and over, not one big list of 20.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

So apparently the douche canoe that does those cheesy u sell commercials where you trade in your old cell phone is now the in stadium reporter guy at the Tampa Bay Rays stadium. I saw him at a game yesterday and was shocked.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
"So, why the Marines?"

Well, judging by the people I know who went into the military: because they had no better loving option.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Welp it took me all of 1 (one) viewing but this poo poo is on my permanent "Oh god its on again mute it MUTE IT" list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ7otTIrIs4

Congratulations, Taco Bell, on making me feel legitimate hatred for children.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Our society is quickly reaching the "decadent Roman empire" phase of it's lifespan. The future is hosed; quite possibly for good sometime in the next 10-20 years.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

NiceGuy posted:

Welp it took me all of 1 (one) viewing but this poo poo is on my permanent "Oh god its on again mute it MUTE IT" list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ7otTIrIs4

Congratulations, Taco Bell, on making me feel legitimate hatred for children.

Grown Up Nintendo 64 Kid must have really few prospects in life to keep going back to that well.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

raditts posted:

Grown Up Nintendo 64 Kid must have really few prospects in life to keep going back to that well.

Yeah, must suck to have Taco Bell pay you to appear on national television ads

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

...yes, I'm sure he's living high on the hog with that "taco bell commercial money"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

...yes, I'm sure he's living high on the hog with that "taco bell commercial money"

Probably good enough to justify taking maybe three days off whatever his real job is.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

raditts posted:

90% of people have very few prospects in life.

He's living mad high on that taco skrilla.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

When he was on Tosh.0 he said he was given close to (maybe over?) six digits for whatever car commercial used that video. Unless he's blown it all or arranged to give it to his parents Jake Lloyd-style he's probably doing fine.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hazo posted:

When he was on Tosh.0 he said he was given close to (maybe over?) six digits for whatever car commercial used that video. Unless he's blown it all or arranged to give it to his parents Jake Lloyd-style he's probably doing fine.

Well poo poo. Silly me I guess for thinking anyone considered that video in demand enough to pay that kind of money for it.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
The viral world is strange and mysterious, Taco Bell probably paid him more than most make in several years for the rights/film time

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I can tolerate most drug commercials, but the Jublia ads are just too dumb to live. What ad agency genius said, "I know! Let's have animated, fungus-infested toes playing sports!"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The NBA Playoffs have turned into a dare to see how many times they can play the same 3 commercials

Like, the Neil Patrick Harris Heineken thing was funny maybe once, but I've probably seen it about 300 times now

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wendys is doing a really terrible ad campaign for their new chicken sandwich with characters like "the meme-er" who acts out a meme on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot

muscles like this? posted:

Wendys is doing a really terrible ad campaign for their new chicken sandwich with characters like "the meme-er" who acts out a meme on screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqUxYuT0uj4

wow, that's the worst. Every company has to be like "Lol selfies!!!" too. They're making fun of an "old timer" because he makes an out of date reference, but the entire commercial is full of out of date, tired references.

RustyTrombone fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 29, 2015