Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Dan is dumb. He a is a dumb man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Someone mentioned it earlier in passing, but there is significantly less "camp life" footage nowadays compared to 10 years ago, and therefore there are probably a lot of random idiosyncratic behaviors and annoyances that all these people let drift into their voting that we don't see at all. I mean, when was the last time you saw someone fish, and anyone cared about that? Who actually cooks, who finds the coconuts and fetches the water, who hogs the sleep shack, who is just plain annoying on a daily basis? Who knows?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

DoggPickle posted:

I mean, when was the last time you saw someone fish, and anyone cared about that? Who actually cooks, who finds the coconuts and fetches the water, who hogs the sleep shack, who is just plain annoying on a daily basis? Who knows?

"Who cares?" is exactly correct. We were past the point of "OMG how will they survive??????" at least 26 seasons ago. Nobody is going to die out there. We're shown what we're shown because the episodes are edited less to show strategy and more to make Tribal Council - the climax of each episode - suspenseful.

Viewers strap on their :tinfoil: to try to tease out who is getting a ~WINNERS EDIT~ despite the fact that it's completely meaningless. I can't wait for that nonsense to die down.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
The particular amount of down the rabbit hole is cyclical. Personally I think a bunch of these players are exactly as they seem, and there is no crazy amount of planning going on at all, and watchers are ascribing extra attributes onto these people, but in the end, I could be totally wrong :) it's still a social experiment, it's just funny how that experiment has wafted onto the viewing public. :tinfoil:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This is so adorable :3:

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
HALI

HALI GET YOUR HANDS ON THAT WHEEL YOUNG LADY

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Superanos posted:

This explains everything. Shirin insulted a well.

So, to translate:

- Everybody in the game insulted Shirin, and it's her own fault.
- Shirin started it by calling Will a "fat loving piece of poo poo".
- After the game, Will apologized to Shirin, but since it wasn't on camera, Shirin has been able to milk the attention.
- Shirin is horrible for allowing herself to be portrayed as a victim, because true victims will never be taken seriously as a result.
- Until we stop talking about women's rights, gay rights, and African American rights, there will never be true equality. (this is somehow Shirin's fault, he doesn't seem to go into it).
- Human rights should be our only concern.

Jesus, what an idiot.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So was Will a fat piece of poo poo before or after the name calling? So if she egged an argument on shame on her but the overboard response was crazy and uncalled for. If she said he was a fat piece of poo poo after the attack, could you blame her? And maybe she got an apology afterwards is just maybe, but based off of his Twitter response of get the popcorn, I doubt it. What do anyone's rights have anything to do with not being a fat piece of poo poo?

Dan is so dumb.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Dan is very invested in the rights of fat pieces of poo poo

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dan and Will duking it out to see who is the biggest fat piece of poo poo.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Factor Mystic posted:

It is somewhat surprising given Jeffs history of handling suggestions for deals that he was willing to let Will have it so easily.

Pretty sure Jeff is aware Will was a complete shithead to Shirin.

Jeff might ask questions and act like he doesn't know what's going on, but I assure you he's knows everything every cameraman knows so he can do the right things for the best TV.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

DoggPickle posted:

Someone mentioned it earlier in passing, but there is significantly less "camp life" footage nowadays compared to 10 years ago, and therefore there are probably a lot of random idiosyncratic behaviors and annoyances that all these people let drift into their voting that we don't see at all. I mean, when was the last time you saw someone fish, and anyone cared about that? Who actually cooks, who finds the coconuts and fetches the water, who hogs the sleep shack, who is just plain annoying on a daily basis? Who knows?

I wish there was more on camp life. I think the editing of the episodes in general has been weak (latest episode excepted). The gimmicks eat into the time (Redemption Island eating up 5-10 minutes of screen time), and the editing of quotes into a singlesentence when it's clearthey were spoken atdifferent times is really aggravating. Trying to jam a bunch of stuff in at the expense of a natural flow makes it seem like the drama is manufactured (again, latest episode excepted).

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The people on San Juan Del Sur are so much nicer. Swapping rewards left and right. Hard to imagine anyone this season doing that.

edit: Wow okay I really regret quitting on this season.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 25, 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I'm not an idiot - I know they aren't going to be eaten by lions (S2?) or die of starvation in the meantime (s04/05), but there is a butt-load of camp-life going on that has been pretty disregarded in the last 3-ish seasons?? It's more of a slide than the last 3 but it still gives me the impression that there is a ton of day to day stuff going on, that we really can't understand. I feel like Jen pretty much called it out everytime she was on-screen. I still take a mulligan here, because Jen is my actual name, and it's stupidly hard to divide that from life when you read it every five seconds. I'm well aware that's retarded. It doesn't make it stop :lol:

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
From one of the random Ponderosa videos I just watched, Joe said Hali got the boot because she was stirring up the idea of an all girl alliance. Most of that played out in the episode, but the important thing was everyone was waiting for Tyler to decide how to proceed. He was scared of it, but waited to the last possible minute to make the call, sealing her fate. Pair this with his 'Jenn is intriguing' confessional (found through related vids) and it seems to me that Tyler's game just isn't showing in the edit. He talks about giving strong consideration to using Jenn to make a move, and says he has already began laying the foundation for such a move. It seems likely her tuning out the game stopped this plan, since the confessional was before Joe left. He also talks about doing work to keep his alliance together, something other players this season have been criticized for failing to do. Given the general solidarity shown by his alliance, that's probably a substantive claim. In that same Ponderosa video, either Joe or Hali says Tyler could win it all which implies to me they'd vote for him if he makes it to the end. I'm not going to pencil him in as the winner, since Mike and Shirin still have some life and he's not someone they want to sit next to, but I do think his game play's better than it's getting credit for here. He's under the radar but influencing the game in a way the Jury sees.

Sorry if most of that is being re-hashed but I've definitely got a new found respect for him..

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

Pretty sure Jeff is aware Will was a complete shithead to Shirin.

Jeff might ask questions and act like he doesn't know what's going on, but I assure you he's knows everything every cameraman knows so he can do the right things for the best TV.

After watching it I assumed it went more like

"Hey Jeff, can I not participate in the challenge for my letter"
"Before we decide, if we did this, would anyone have an objection?"
*Shirin raises hand*

Later on Jeff records all the stuff about his willingness to do it and it has to be consensus etc.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

After watching it I assumed it went more like

"Hey Jeff, can I not participate in the challenge for my letter"
"Before we decide, if we did this, would anyone have an objection?"
*Shirin raises hand*

Later on Jeff records all the stuff about his willingness to do it and it has to be consensus etc.

Yeah... we do hear about that kind of stuff a lot from the contestants throughout the years. That's as bad as changing buff colors so they can put a post-merge scene in a pre-merge episode.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Met posted:

Yeah... we do hear about that kind of stuff a lot from the contestants throughout the years. That's as bad as changing buff colors so they can put a post-merge scene in a pre-merge episode.

I'd really like to read about this.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
Eh. I think it'd be more like Will asking to sit out for his letter followed by Jeff excusing himself to talk to producers before giving his little speech.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
It's entirely possible that that there are thing I don't know about, but Jeff takes his impartiality VERY seriously, and is not privy to video that he would not normally see. he's just super-Intuitive at this point, and can wrangle out seemingly impossible questions from a very edited tribal council. The Minute it's proven than Jeff sees more than he says, I will be pissed. I stand by my penny that Jeff has never seen a minute of footage or had an prior knowledge of chaos (beyond what is impossible to escape via the crew etc.) of any weird goings on. I think that he stands by his integrity and he's innocent until proven guilty.

When it comes to tribe swaps and merges, I'm a little less forgiving, but it MUST say In there somewhere, "tribe swaps at 14, this is totally different if one tribe is murdering the others etc. etc. extra rules"

If it ever comes out that they are making new rules on the go - game is a sham. I'm done.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah I'm pretty sure they have a production guide book, but I'd also guarantee you they're making decisions on things as they develop. You can have a thousand page rule book and not come close to covering every situation. There's always going to be rules made up on the spot. And Jeff is an EP, he is pretty powerful and involved I'd think.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The biggest indicator that Jeff knows more than he lets on is he always changes how he answers certain production questions. A few years ago I read an interview where he says he only knows if someone has an Idol if they publicly declare it at a challenge or TC because he sees no camp footage. Then just last season he said in a different interview that of course he knows who has idols because he needs to know how to order the votes in the event that someone who has an idol plays it.

Similarly, I know after Micronesia he denied that they would ever switched from a pre-planned Final 3 to a Final 2 just because someone got med-evac'd, and after Cagayan he claimed that it was supposed to be a Final 3 but changed to a Final 2 because Lindsey quit.

Inconsistencies like that show up all the time in Jeff's interviews. BUT, all that being said, I do think that on the whole production does not heavily interfere with the game. There are too many mediocre seasons of this show that could have been prevented by a heavier hand from production.

On an unrelated note, I've noticed about once every page someone comes in trying to explain at how Tyler is secretly a great player and we're underestimating him. Is Tyler paying you guys to say that??? Is it his big glasses and smug smile that make you think he's a better player than he is??? If anyone is an underrated player this season (and that's a big "if" since everyone is pretty terrible), it's Carolyn.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Tyler is using some sort of zen-master hypnosis to stay under the radar in such a way nobody ever even considers voting him out, and everyone involves him in everything. An unfortunate byproduct is that this isn't particularly compelling television. It's kind of weird to see a tall athletic guy pull off a successful invisibility gambit. He even won an immunity challenge, and came close to winning another. And yet Mike's the threat. I guess it's all attitude.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mancalamania posted:

On an unrelated note, I've noticed about once every page someone comes in trying to explain at how Tyler is secretly a great player and we're underestimating him. Is Tyler paying you guys to say that??? Is it his big glasses and smug smile that make you think he's a better player than he is??? If anyone is an underrated player this season (and that's a big "if" since everyone is pretty terrible), it's Carolyn.
Well, people are all basing it off actual footage, be it secret scenes or Ponderosa videos. The people on the jury seem to think he's running the show, even though it's actually Rodney. Also, some people seem to dislike Carolyn but nobody minds Tyler. I could see him getting knocked out by Mike's idol or something though because he's getting zero edit.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

More San Juan Del Sur comments (not that anyone seems to care ITT): These people are so bitchy about rewards. Especially Missy and Baylor about the bed thing. Seriously?? You just went on the last reward, John and Jacquelyn went to exile and no-reward during that time, AND you need to keep them solid in your alliance. Cannot believe they were upset about that.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DoggPickle posted:

It's entirely possible that that there are thing I don't know about, but Jeff takes his impartiality VERY seriously, and is not privy to video that he would not normally see. he's just super-Intuitive at this point, and can wrangle out seemingly impossible questions from a very edited tribal council. The Minute it's proven than Jeff sees more than he says, I will be pissed. I stand by my penny that Jeff has never seen a minute of footage or had an prior knowledge of chaos (beyond what is impossible to escape via the crew etc.) of any weird goings on. I think that he stands by his integrity and he's innocent until proven guilty.

When it comes to tribe swaps and merges, I'm a little less forgiving, but it MUST say In there somewhere, "tribe swaps at 14, this is totally different if one tribe is murdering the others etc. etc. extra rules"

If it ever comes out that they are making new rules on the go - game is a sham. I'm done.

There are a lot of good things to say about Jeff's hosting, but "impartiality" is not one of them. He's sexist af.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have zero doubt that Jeff gets at the very least a rundown of the major drama before each interaction with the tribe. I also have zero doubt that in some extreme cases the producers adapt the game to how it's playing out. Not twisting the game to give someone an edge, just adapting when a tribe gets decimated early or people get medivaced when the producers realize that the game is dying way too early and a tribe mixup might save it.

That doesn't bother me at all, but I also roll my eyes anyone says "the integrity of the game." So your mileage may vary.

And I definitely feel like people are trying to make Tyler into more of a player than he is. Like, when "he waited a very long time to decide his swing vote" is chalked up as a "move" I think we're stretching pretty hard.

That being said the thing he seems to have going for him and the reason I suspect some of the jurors are saying he can win is that he doesn't seem to be hated by anyone. He doesn't seem to really be loved either though, so I kind of feel like that's less of a credit to Tyler than it is a knock against what assholes most of them are. But still, Tyler is at the very least following Rule #1 of Survivor and not going out of his way to piss people off or make enemies. Which makes him a games master compared to the likes of Rodney, Dan, and Will.

But game wise I don't feel like Tyler's done anything that Carolyn and Sierra haven't done. But Sierra has probably made some enemies or built a bad rep by constantly talking about flipping and changing the game and never doing it. Some of the people who got screwed by it may be upset or some people may just see her as too passive because she never pulled the trigger on what she seemed to really want to do (by comparison Tyler seemed to always be the one approached to flip so he wasn't sending any real mixed messages). And Carolyn seems to have had some negative interactions with the other women and seems like maybe people can see through her facade. No one's called out Tyler the way Carolyn has been in a few confessionals so it stands to reason Tyler is staying more neutral or has a better poker face.

So yeah, I don't think Tyler is a good player and I see no reason to try and deduce an entire game we haven't been show on tv based on a few comments from people. But he seems to at least be playing a simple under the radar "don't piss anyone off" game which isn't anything special but sets him apart from most of this group.

blue squares posted:

More San Juan Del Sur comments (not that anyone seems to care ITT): These people are so bitchy about rewards. Especially Missy and Baylor about the bed thing. Seriously?? You just went on the last reward, John and Jacquelyn went to exile and no-reward during that time, AND you need to keep them solid in your alliance. Cannot believe they were upset about that.

I think there was a "spoiled" factor involved in San Juan Del Sur. Because the game was so chaotic with so many flips and changes in power a lot of the players were constantly the swing votes being courted by someone. Then once some of them chose and theoretically should have been "stable" they got pissed that they were no longer being made to feel special. I had that thought at least a couple of times with Missy, Baylor, Jon, and Jackie.

I also think the loved one thing contributes to that since you have to have a different, less brutal Survivor game when you're entering a merge with one of the most important people in your life. So I'm not sure those players ever truly entered full "Survivor mode".

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 26, 2015

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

This makes me happy

Adus posted:

HALI

HALI GET YOUR HANDS ON THAT WHEEL YOUNG LADY

Also this, for srs girl.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'd really like to read about this.

Me too! You hear bits and pieces all the time if you listen to RHAP.

mancalamania posted:

The biggest indicator that Jeff knows more than he lets on is he always changes how he answers certain production questions. A few years ago I read an interview where he says he only knows if someone has an Idol if they publicly declare it at a challenge or TC because he sees no camp footage. Then just last season he said in a different interview that of course he knows who has idols because he needs to know how to order the votes in the event that someone who has an idol plays it.

Similarly, I know after Micronesia he denied that they would ever switched from a pre-planned Final 3 to a Final 2 just because someone got med-evac'd, and after Cagayan he claimed that it was supposed to be a Final 3 but changed to a Final 2 because Lindsey quit.

Inconsistencies like that show up all the time in Jeff's interviews.

My take-away from this is that Jeff and the production have to play it by ear and make judgement calls but they don't want you to know they play it by ear and make judgement calls.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'd like to think Tyler would do well overall because the secret scenes/Ponderosa videos seem to pump him up and he seems to have made good decisions at almost every point. But I can't see him (or Carolyn, who also seems to be doing pretty well objectively) winning because they're loving invisible in the edit. If they were going to win, I'd have to think the edit would be making more of whatever moves he's making. I feel like Tyler and Carolyn are in charge of "Rodney's" alliance but are willing to let him stand up in front and take the heat, but there's nothing showing in the edit and if they were going to win I'd have to think they'd be showing up more.

Actually there's a loving ton of invisible people on this season at this point. Sierra, Tyler, and Carolyn might as well not exist, and before this latest episode Will didn't exist either. It's basically the Mike/Rodney/Shirin show in terms of who we've seen literally any semblance of strategy talk from. You can get a sense of what they're planning and how they want to go about their plan from those three, but Sierra/Tyler/Carolyn are blanks slates 1-3, and Will/Dan are just assholes.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sierra is really the only question mark. She's the only player left in the game whose path to victory is unclear - I have no idea how she thinks she's going to win.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Sophie was mostly peripheral during her season, I don't think any edit analysts had pegged her as a contender and she didn't really start "breaking out" until the last few episodes, IIRC. So I won't be surprised if he is suddenly thrust into prominence late in the season and goes on to win. He has about five goats to choose from, he's sitting pretty.

Hearing about all the schemes and alliances and bullshit that the ejected players have talked about, that we weren't really shown, makes me think that Survivor has become really hard to edit now, because there are so many red herrings to filter out. Especially with so many gamers and fans in a season like this one, everybody is just constantly scheming, and crawling up their own asses strategy-wise.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Pinterest Mom posted:

Sierra is really the only question mark. She's the only player left in the game whose path to victory is unclear - I have no idea how she thinks she's going to win.

Jenn mentioned somewhere (her exit interview with RHAP?) that Sierra's plan is to take the most obnoxious people to the end (probably Dan and Will) with her and win by not being an rear end in a top hat.

Big Taint posted:

Sophie was mostly peripheral during her season, I don't think any edit analysts had pegged her as a contender and she didn't really start "breaking out" until the last few episodes, IIRC. So I won't be surprised if he is suddenly thrust into prominence late in the season and goes on to win. He has about five goats to choose from, he's sitting pretty.

Hearing about all the schemes and alliances and bullshit that the ejected players have talked about, that we weren't really shown, makes me think that Survivor has become really hard to edit now, because there are so many red herrings to filter out. Especially with so many gamers and fans in a season like this one, everybody is just constantly scheming, and crawling up their own asses strategy-wise.

Yeah but like, there's a number of times that Tyler's figured stuff out or let out information or got people to tell him things. He's clearly making these moves, but we're getting nothing about how those moves fit into his strategy. If he was going to win, I feel like we'd at least see something from him.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

the rob c evolution of strategy thing is good

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
After watching Ponderosa, I switched from Jenn to Hali as #1 for me in this game. I think and hope Hali is a lock to return. She's got that passion and fire in the belly that we didn't really get to see on the TV show. Jenn is hilarious, but not really cut out for the social game.

As far as the live players I'm fully on board with Mike. That speech he gave to Dan sewed up any doubts I had about him. He wants it badly.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 26, 2015

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I can see why people think Jeff is sexist (and I realized I just made two posts in a row "defending" him in some way, but it's not like that. I just think he's a fun host who loves his job)

IMHO Jeff just really has a hard-on for the physical challenges and people who win challenges, particularly by huge amounts. In practice, this turns out to mostly be guys. It strains my memory, but I can't remember an athletic girl going on a challenge beast run. Someone can probably think of someone who DID, but I can't right now.

Ever since Ozzy, everybody seems to pick out some Jeff man crush every year.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

DoggPickle posted:

Ever since Ozzy Colby, everybody seems to pick out some Jeff man crush every year.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
My bad ^ completely correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I think Jeff just wants great tv. Being superior at physical challenges makes for a better show than someone great at nonphysical challenges. Same reason he hates the memory challenges and stuff.

• Locked thread