Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

420 Gank Mid posted:

and the fourth is a BBC radio series.

I think you mean the often recommended in this thread BBC radio series and podcast In Our Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah I don't get why Dan Carlin was so apologetic about Prophets of Doom when it was easily one of his most incredible and entertaining Episodes ever, every moment of that episode was thrilling, especially his delivery of it.

I didn't realize he apologized for that episode. That's crazy to me, as I've used that episode to get 3 people into the show. It's the perfect balance of riveting and being a stand alone. It's hard to get people to try Wrath of the Khans cold, given the length. But Prophets of Doom I can sell on being just one episode. Then they're hooked.

It's one of my favorites.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

thrawn527 posted:

I didn't realize he apologized for that episode. That's crazy to me, as I've used that episode to get 3 people into the show. It's the perfect balance of riveting and being a stand alone. It's hard to get people to try Wrath of the Khans cold, given the length. But Prophets of Doom I can sell on being just one episode. Then they're hooked.

It's one of my favorites.

yeah I mean he was apologizing profusely in the segments before and after the actual story itself in the podcast itself.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Al-Saqr posted:

yeah I mean he was apologizing profusely in the segments before and after the actual story itself in the podcast itself.

Oh, that makes more sense. I thought you meant apologizing, after the fact, for the episode itself. Which would be crazy.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I finished History of Rome and it was one of my favorite podcast series of all time, thanks to this thread for the suggestion. That time period was blank for me so I learned a ton, and appreciated the host's careful fact checking and corrections.

I do agree that the early episodes have some audio issues, but nothing insurmountable and those go away as the series progresses.

Fantastic series, it was perfect for driving.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I finished History of Rome and it was one of my favorite podcast series of all time, thanks to this thread for the suggestion. That time period was blank for me so I learned a ton, and appreciated the host's careful fact checking and corrections.

I do agree that the early episodes have some audio issues, but nothing insurmountable and those go away as the series progresses.

Fantastic series, it was perfect for driving.

Now listen to Dan Carlin's podcasts about Rome! They are called "Death throes of the republic" (Gracchi brothers to Augustus), "Punic Nightmares" (Punic wars) and "Thor's Angels" (end of the western empire).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Big thanks to whoever in this thread recommended The Dollop. It's one of two podcasts that have ever made me laugh out loud in public. I started with Cassius Clay, then moved on to Anthony Comstock, Ralph Neves and Centralia and every single one has been incredible.

Also, I'd like to rep My History Can Beat Up Your Politics again. The recent LBJ and Tehran Embassy episodes were great and it's quickly become my replacement for Dan Carlin's Common Sense: current events with historical context, but without the crappy libertarian aftertaste.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Neil MacGregor announcing that he was stepping down as head or the British Museum encouraged me to finally go back and finish his BBC series 'A History Of The World In 100 Objects' from a few years ago.

I would guess that a lot of the people in this thread have already listened to them all, but I would really strongly encourage anyone who hasn't to give them a go. Every episode is a super well-made little gem, all of them feel sufficiently distinct while fitting into that week's theme, and as part of the long-term narrative. Really appreciated how non-Euro-centric it was too, manages a pretty impressive survey of the world in different eras.

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008
Sorry if this one has been mentioned already, but I just started listening to You Must Remember This. It's written and hosted by Karina Longsworth -- a journalist who has written a few books about the movie industry. She usually takes an individual figure from 20th century Hollywood and focusses on a key moment of their career. Her most recent episodes have dealt with the involvement or lack of involvement of John Wayne, Frank Sinatra, and Walt Disney in the war effort during WWII. It is well-researched and very entertaining. Someone who knows a lot more about Hollywood history might already know the stories she's telling, but most of it has been new to me.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

GraPar posted:

Neil MacGregor announcing that he was stepping down as head or the British Museum encouraged me to finally go back and finish his BBC series 'A History Of The World In 100 Objects' from a few years ago.

I would guess that a lot of the people in this thread have already listened to them all, but I would really strongly encourage anyone who hasn't to give them a go. Every episode is a super well-made little gem, all of them feel sufficiently distinct while fitting into that week's theme, and as part of the long-term narrative. Really appreciated how non-Euro-centric it was too, manages a pretty impressive survey of the world in different eras.

Thanks for recommendation, I need a new series and this sounds great. Downloading now.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Just saw this thread. I've been listening to Carlin for a while and was hoping there would be some HH discussion. Glad to see I'm in good company. :)

I am surprised to see that his delivery and cadence is disliked. He was a host on a talk radio station in Oregon. His best quality, I think, is to give that sort of impassioned narrative that is able to engage even the most history averse listener. It's not a fact-laden lecture, but there's no shortage of that if that's your thing.

Wake_N_Bake fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 25, 2015

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Wake_N_Bake posted:

I am surprised to see that his delivery and cadence is disliked. He was a host on a talk radio station in Oregon. His best quality, I think, is to give that sort of impassioned narrative that is able to engage even the most history averse listener. It's not a fact-laden lecture, but there's no shortage of that if that's your thing.

HH can be super off-putting you're not history-averse and are capable of parsing denser material without radio voice and boxing analogies

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

And if you have experience with talk radio, his voice is like that of a stereotypical conservative blowhard even though he isn't one. Hearing "Now, folks -" in that voice, I used to get an instinct to turn the show off.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

WEH posted:

HH can be super off-putting you're not history-averse and are capable of parsing denser material without radio voice and boxing analogies

It's definitely not a show aimed at academics but c'mon, nobody listens to a history podcast because they're "history averse". It's not like he's hosting Ancient Aliens or something (though I guess there are a lot of references to Martians).

I really enjoy Dan's delivery, eccentric and idiosyncratic though it may be.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

WEH posted:

I'm going to assume you meant "off-putting IF you're not..."

I'm capable of parsing much more dense material, thank you very much, as I assume most goons are. My point was that I appreciate his delivery and accessibility to those who may not have the appreciation of history that you and I share. He tells awesome stories, and he tells them well.

Sorry if it doesn't meet your footnotes per minute quota. Keep punching downwards.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Sorry if it doesn't meet your footnotes per minute quota. Keep punching downwards.
The HH vs HoR debate is literally as old if not older than this thread so if you were expecting a serious and measured response to an attempt to rekindle it, well

WEH fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 26, 2015

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Wake_N_Bake posted:

I'm going to assume you meant "off-putting IF you're not..."

I'm capable of parsing much more dense material, thank you very much, as I assume most goons are. My point was that I appreciate his delivery and accessibility to those who may not have the appreciation of history that you and I share. He tells awesome stories, and he tells them well.

If you actually believe that people who like Dan Carlin's presentation are some kind of disadvantaged underclass, perhaps you don't have the understanding of history you think you do.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Hardcore History: evidently a podcast for people who aren't joyless dicks

Anyway if I remember right, the last time we had the debate nobody really made any good suggestions for other historical podcasts. I imagine it's not the preferred medium for historians but it can't be too much different from delivering a lecture, can it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My non-Hardcore History podcasts are currently Revolutions, My History Can Beat Up Your Politics (really cannot give this enough love), Pritzker Military Library Podcast, The History Network Podcast and The Dollop.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Prop Wash posted:

Anyway if I remember right, the last time we had the debate nobody really made any good suggestions for other historical podcasts. I imagine it's not the preferred medium for historians but it can't be too much different from delivering a lecture, can it?

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a historical podcast. Harvard and MIT have a joint program where they make all sorts of lectures and reading materials available for free online. Crash Course has a couple history youtube series geared towards teenagers who would rather not actually read their AP history textbooks. Then there's hobbyist historians like HH and History of Rome/Revolutions guy. And obviously there are hundreds of audiobooks with more specific scope depending on what topics you're interested in.

If you like this sort of thing I would highly recommend looking into an Audible.com account

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

GraPar posted:

Anyone else ever listen to You Must Remember This? Podcast about early Hollywood, occasionally moving into later 20th Century stuff. Really well done on every level, definitely a solid evening/night-time listen. You can pretty much start on any episode, although I remember this one about Montgomery Clift being super interesting.

Malaleb posted:

Sorry if this one has been mentioned already, but I just started listening to You Must Remember This. It's written and hosted by Karina Longsworth -- a journalist who has written a few books about the movie industry. She usually takes an individual figure from 20th century Hollywood and focusses on a key moment of their career. Her most recent episodes have dealt with the involvement or lack of involvement of John Wayne, Frank Sinatra, and Walt Disney in the war effort during WWII. It is well-researched and very entertaining. Someone who knows a lot more about Hollywood history might already know the stories she's telling, but most of it has been new to me.

Listened to a couple of these last night and really enjoyed them. It's funny to hear about iconic movies like Dumbo and Bambie being regarded as a quick cash in or failure at the time.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pritzker Military Library Podcast

This really is fantastic, especially the Medal of Honor series - it has Medal of Honor recipients telling the stories of how they earned their medals.

I've listened to a good 30-40, eventually I'll do the entire archive.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Eltoasto posted:

Listened to a couple of these last night and really enjoyed them. It's funny to hear about iconic movies like Dumbo and Bambie being regarded as a quick cash in or failure at the time.

Fourthing this recommendation. I've been interested in it for a while but finally listened to some today - Absolutely fantastic stuff. Short, easily-digestible, clearly well-researched and totally interesting stories of Hollywood's golden age. Perfect for little drives during the day.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Fifthing the recommendation. Didn't know about the last Sinatra album before. And that he made an anal sex reference in a 40 minute song. :allears:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Is there a podcast or lecture about renaissance Italy and prominent families like Medici or Borgia?

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

midnightclimax posted:

Is there a podcast or lecture about renaissance Italy and prominent families like Medici or Borgia?

in our time did an episode on the Medici, but that's probably a little less thorough than you're looking for

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

WEH posted:

in our time did an episode on the Medici, but that's probably a little less thorough than you're looking for

Hmm no, I was more looking for something around the ten hour mark.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

You Must Remember This is a really fun podcast.

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

So Dan Carlin popped up on wolf den, an earwolf meta-podcast. I can't say I listened to that but within the snark about deadlines in the comments there was a link to 10 American Presidents episode 1 Nixon - feat: Dan Carlin, which I don't recall seeing in this thread. It's a 2 hour bio if NIxon's political history along with a bit of Dan's usual recontexualizing. If you know Dan his opinions on Nixon are well trod but it stays fairly focused and neutral until maybe the last 15 minutes. I'm not sure if he's doing other episodes in the series but it's a nice change to hear him do a political show without dipping into military stuff all that much. I don't think there was a single boxing metaphor.

TontoCorazon posted:

You Must Remember This is a really fun podcast.
Her delivery and the editing can be kind of rough but the stories are fantastic.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Bucket-O-Nothing posted:

So Dan Carlin popped up on wolf den, an earwolf meta-podcast. I can't say I listened to that but within the snark about deadlines in the comments there was a link to 10 American Presidents episode 1 Nixon - feat: Dan Carlin, which I don't recall seeing in this thread. It's a 2 hour bio if NIxon's political history along with a bit of Dan's usual recontexualizing. If you know Dan his opinions on Nixon are well trod but it stays fairly focused and neutral until maybe the last 15 minutes. I'm not sure if he's doing other episodes in the series but it's a nice change to hear him do a political show without dipping into military stuff all that much. I don't think there was a single boxing metaphor.

Her delivery and the editing can be kind of rough but the stories are fantastic.

Thanks for the heads up about that podcast. Episode 2 features Mike Duncan.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

GraPar posted:

Big thanks for this recommendation by the way, I hadn't heard of this one before and I've really enjoyed listening through it. My commute's about 45 minutes so I can fit three episodes pretty neatly into each journey :v:

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Prop Wash posted:

BBC History Extra's podcast is good. UK-centric, but I like the interview format with the occasional lecture, and their subjects often tie-in with current events or anniversaries.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Thank you to whoever recommended The Dollop, its loving amazing and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to listen to some comics mispronounce relatively easy words.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
So apparently the Death Troes of the Republic podcast was planned as a short podcast about Cleopatra.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Popelmon posted:

So apparently the Death Troes of the Republic podcast was planned as a short podcast about Cleopatra.

Yeah. He mentioned that to illustrate how episode length and scope sometimes gets away from him. I don't mind the big multi-part episodes, but it's nice going back to some of the shorter blitz episodes that are an hour or less. The big shows are great - Death Throes of the Republic is my favorite HH series - but it's a bummer knowing the show is restricted to that topic for the long term. I mean, by the time the last WWI episode drops, Hardcore History will have been on late 19th/early 20th century topics for nearly two years when you include the episode on the Spanish-American War.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Popelmon posted:

Same thing happened with Thor's Angels. He wanted to tell the story of Charlemagne I think.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I think it's also a testament to how interconnected so much of history is. The story of Cleopatra is incomplete if you don't know why Caesar and Pompey are in Egypt, that story is informed heavily by the reign of Sulla, and so on. I'm sure the Thor's Angels episode could have been about the entire history of the Holy Roman Empire if Carlin didn't have some sense of when to cut it off.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

One of my favorite parts of Dan Carlin is that he manages to both never stop going off on tangents to give flavor and context to the stories or sources he's using and keep the whole narrative cohesive enough to tell an actual story.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Should be out in the next 24 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Should be out in the next 24 hours.

The VI is how many hours long it will be.