Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I want Mike to be eliminated just so people can stfu about his edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Juanito posted:

I want Mike to be eliminated just so people can stfu about his edit.

whether or not it's predictive of a win, it's still undeniable that he is dominating screentime this season.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
He's a perspective character, as Jenn was and Shirin as well to a degree. From each collar tribe the editors gave us a character to have a principal voice post merge. There's an designed element of survivorship bias here as they outlasted their earlier tribemates that also gave us perspective, like Lindsay. He also on the preferable side of the edit with regards to Shirin's story... the editors wanted to show her positively for whatever reason so they clamp down on her annoying parts to highlight Dan & Will's behavior. Mike works for this storyline too since he was the a person who wasn't dogpiling her and thus can give us a perspective on those on the other side.

The edit this season has been pretty entertaining. I'm loving that all three factions say Dan is a moron in confessionals, cut to Dan trying to lick a bit of rice off his face or whatever. Hilarious.

Zarrr
Oct 1, 2001

Factor Mystic posted:

He's a perspective character, as Jenn was and Shirin as well to a degree. From each collar tribe the editors gave us a character to have a principal voice post merge. There's an designed element of survivorship bias here as they outlasted their earlier tribemates that also gave us perspective, like Lindsay. He also on the preferable side of the edit with regards to Shirin's story... the editors wanted to show her positively for whatever reason so they clamp down on her annoying parts to highlight Dan & Will's behavior. Mike works for this storyline too since he was the a person who wasn't dogpiling her and thus can give us a perspective on those on the other side.

The edit this season has been pretty entertaining. I'm loving that all three factions say Dan is a moron in confessionals, cut to Dan trying to lick a bit of rice off his face or whatever. Hilarious.
I'm predicting this season ending in a Tyler win. My theory is that they haven't focused on Tyler because he played an very good but ultimately boring game, with a strong alliance voting off a bunch of legitimately nice and entertaining jury threats while keeping the goats around.

Showing things from Mike's perspective keeps every episode interesting and I think that is why he gets the focus, and not because it is a winner edit.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Zarrr posted:

I'm predicting this season ending in a Tyler win. My theory is that they haven't focused on Tyler because he played an very good but ultimately boring game, with a strong alliance voting off a bunch of legitimately nice and entertaining jury threats while keeping the goats around.

Showing things from Mike's perspective keeps every episode interesting and I think that is why he gets the focus, and not because it is a winner edit.

Based on Jeffs praise of the season Mike will win. I doubt he would have been as happy if the guy whose strategy is "sit pretty and don't make big moves" wins. Especially as Rodney is given so much credit for the suballiance. I highly doubt that they would have been unable to make that alliance more about Tyler if he is the winner. The fact that we were treated to all the mentions of "a blue collar will win this season" at the beginning (mirroring season 1 where we were shown Richard saying he will win the game in episode 1) it makes just too much sense for him to win.

Another hint was Shirins exit interview with RHAP, where she was very giddy about the fact that "Team Shirin" is still in the game and based on how she said that is probably going to win.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GaussianCopula posted:

He lacked the killer instinct Tony had. By flipping on his own alliance time after time and keeping Spencer around no one made Tony out to be the biggest enemy. Mike on the other hand is the biggest threat to win the game and is not playing with a group of braindead zombies (see Redemption Island) and therefore they are targeting him. Dan/Sierra probably only needed a rationalization that he flipped on them first to get on board.

That's just the edit talking. Everyone there seems to think it's Tyler's game. Even before Sierra tried to get Rodney to vote him out, we kept hearing his name in secret scenes and ponderosa videos.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I thought Mike's play at council was a great idea. He made them target each other, and normally this wouldn't have been such a big deal, but these are a bunch of emotional teenagers and I suspect that even the necessary votes (like Tyler's) are still going to cause cracks. Remember back when Sierra got some votes and she was HUGELY pissed for a long time, especially at Dan? Mike was there for that. There were a bunch of different possible outcomes, all of which might cause different cracks.

Plus, it was just great TV!

Dan was being such a prick that even Jeff wasn't sure what to say. "So you're adopted?? Like... SO WHAT??!?"

I have no living grandparents, parents, siblings, or children period, and I'm only 36, and it's been true for 7 years. To my mind that's a little worse than being FRICKIN adopted??? And I'd still never have the balls to compare that to having a crappy abusive childhood? What a tool. He just has no self-awareness and thinks the world revolves around him.

Sierra doing that barrel roll was awesome. She always seems so uncoordinated to me. That gif is great! :lol:

Rodney's shortness never stops making me laugh, because he's basically in proportion and looks normal when he's alone, so when they cut to a group shot, it gets me every time. That one challenge where they were up off the ground in the wooden frames, according to their height - was hilarious looking

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Mike played it exactly like the three amigos should have back in Caramoan - say that he and Shirin are going to throw their votes away so the others have to decide and demonstrate who's on the bottom, which they did. If Malcolm/Eddie/Reynold had been smarter they would've thrown their votes away on each other and made the only votes that counted come from the alliance made up of everybody else.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Poque posted:

Mike played it exactly like the three amigos should have back in Caramoan - say that he and Shirin are going to throw their votes away so the others have to decide and demonstrate who's on the bottom, which they did.

Seemed more to me like they had discussed the sitution and split the non-shireen votes to force a tiebreaker vote in the event that Mike DID play the idol, which he didn't.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Poque posted:

Mike played it exactly like the three amigos should have back in Caramoan - say that he and Shirin are going to throw their votes away so the others have to decide and demonstrate who's on the bottom, which they did. If Malcolm/Eddie/Reynold had been smarter they would've thrown their votes away on each other and made the only votes that counted come from the alliance made up of everybody else.
Hmmm. That would've been cool if there were zero valid votes going into the revote.

I think their initial plan, though, was that if they told everyone to vote Phillip, people would jump on that and they'd get to hold onto their idols. Which also would've been really good for them.

Then Phillip said "vote for them anyway" which forced them to play the idols. So in hindsight yeah your plan would've probably been better, since the votes may have gone in all sorts of directions in the re-vote. Then again, maybe they just would've all voted Phillip and nothing would've changed.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

From Cochran's interview with shirin:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/n...ing-optimistic/

"Shirin: It was a couple of different things, and there were different camps. Carolyn didn’t like me simply because she hated Max and I was associated with Max. But she and I actually got along quite well and she’s a lovely person. Joaquin loathed me from day one. He actually called me fat to my face on day one. He said to me, “Well, she’s old and you’re fat, but we’ll get rid of her first, and so you only have to worry if we lose twice.” Like, that’s something he said openly to my face as though it were just obvious fact. And when So ended up going home, he took it so personally against me. I mean, he obviously already had no respect for me, but from that point on it became personal for him. So, after the tribe swap, he went and said all these really toxic things about me that basically created this negative baseline of respect for me. And when the merge came around and I got to meet all these Blue Collars for the first time, Rodney and Dan readily absorbed the poison that Joaquin served them about me, and they never gave me a chance and got to know me. Whereas, in the case of Mike, Mike obviously cared a lot about working hard and getting firewood. I always worked hard and got firewood. And also, Mike and I share a history of domestic violence from our childhood, and that also bonded us pretty quickly. Sierra is an amazing human being — big heart. She said she had been afraid to meet me because of everything she’d heard about me, but she gave me a chance and got to know me and we became really good friends out there. And then, with Will, he have a totally different scenario altogether, which is that — at the tribe swap — he wouldn’t look at me. He wouldn’t talk to me. I pulled him aside a couple times, asking him if there was an issue, and if we could work through it. He always said that I was just in my head. And then, after the merge, he started actually personally attacking me. And it was always around me not having a soul. It was always questioning my integrity and telling people not to trust me because I don’t have a soul. There were these mini-blowups leading into that huge one. I have no idea what it means to not have a soul. I have no idea where that’s coming from. But I think it’s coming from a deeper, darker place, and if I were to speculate, I would say there was some discrimination involved."

Surprise, Dan & Rodney are assholes, and Will is a piece of poo poo.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

You know, I can totally see this. I've been there before. I was invited by a friend to do trivia at a bar, but of the group, I only knew her, and one other girl. This other girl didn't like me at all, and clearly told these other people how "awful" I was before I arrived. These people I had never met before were hostile towards me from the start. It was so bizarre. As we got to playing, they'd ignore me when I'd offer up answers to the trivia questions, and go with something else.

Luckily, as the game went on, they realized that I was actually really loving good at trivia. All the answers that I'd be saying were actually correct, and I gradually won them over. By the time I left, they all gave me hugs goodbye, while that other girl with a grudge against me sat there sulking.

Basically, people are really influenced by other people's opinions.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 2, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fooz posted:

That was more than apparent from just the edits they've been given.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Yeah I've gotten that treatment from people before, it can be really tough to turn opinions on real life, probably doubly so in a game where you only have your opinions and trust to go off of. I also could see Mike maybe not winning but getting a fan favorites or heroes edit.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Gordon Holmes: Alright, word association time. Let’s start with…
Jenn Brown: What words will not be “expletive deleted”? I know (expletive deleted) will be “expletive deleted” and (expletive deleted).
Holmes: Yeah, those are two big ones.
Brown: But, what about “bitch”?
Holmes: We bonded in Nicaragua, so I’ll give you a pass on that one. Just stay away from those first two.
Brown: That’s so nice. Everybody plans their (expletive deleted) word associations.
Holmes: Which defeats the purpose!
Brown: I know! But we know it’s coming.
Holmes: Alright, make me proud. Let’s start with Nina.
Brown: (Expletive deleted).
Holmes: Vince?
Holmes: I don’t like where this is headed. Rodney?
Holmes: Mike?
Holmes: Shirin?
Holmes: Joe?
Holmes: Max?
Holmes: Dan?
Holmes: Sierra?
Holmes: Will?
Holmes: Tyler?
Holmes: Carolyn?
Holmes: Hali?
Brown: She loves nature.

Holmes: Alright, we typically would do a word association exercise at this point. But, your Dirty 30 buddies are trying to mess with my happiness and are coming up with their answers in advance. Did you plan ahead?
Shirin Oskooi: I have planned ahead. I have a word for every single person on this season. Even people I didn’t play with. So, I want you to name everybody.
Holmes: I’m starting to hate the Dirty 30.
Oskooi: You love me so much! You are Team Shirin!
Holmes: I am, but I’m also Team Word Association.
Oskooi: And now you have to be Team Mike.
Holmes: Alright, you want everybody?
Oskooi: Everybody.
Holmes: In order…let’s start with So.
Oskooi: Pansy Parkinson.
Oskooi: Professor Trelawney.
Holmes: OK, I see where this is going. Nina?
Oskooi: Percy Weasley.
Holmes: Lindsey?
Oskooi: Sirius Black.
Oskooi: Somewhere between Dumbledore and Grindelwald.
Holmes: Joaquin?
Oskooi: Draco Malfoy.
Holmes: Kelly?
Oskooi: Katie Bell.
Oskooi: Luna Lovegood.
Holmes: (Laughs) Joe?
Oskooi: Cedric Diggory.
Holmes: Jenn?
Oskooi: Fred Weasley.
Holmes: Do you have one for yourself?
Oskooi: Hermoine.
Holmes: Alright, let’s hit who’s left. Mike?
Oskooi: Harry Potter.
Oskooi: Seamus Finnigan.
Oskooi: Narcissa Malfoy.
Oskooi: Lucius Malfoy.
Oskooi: Wormtail who’s spent his whole life thinking he’s Gilderoy Lockhart.
Holmes: (Laughs) Rodney?
Oskooi: Voldemort.
Holmes: And we’ll finish with your buddy Will.
Oskooi: Horcrux.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

Gordon Holmes: Alright, word association time. Let’s start with…
Jenn Brown: What words will not be “expletive deleted”? I know (expletive deleted) will be “expletive deleted” and (expletive deleted).
Holmes: Yeah, those are two big ones.
Brown: But, what about “bitch”?
Holmes: We bonded in Nicaragua, so I’ll give you a pass on that one. Just stay away from those first two.
Brown: That’s so nice. Everybody plans their (expletive deleted) word associations.
Holmes: Which defeats the purpose!
Brown: I know! But we know it’s coming.
Holmes: Alright, make me proud. Let’s start with Nina.
Holmes: I don’t like where this is headed. Rodney?
Holmes: Mike?
Holmes: Shirin?
Holmes: Joe?
Holmes: Will?
Brown: She loves nature.

Holmes: Alright, we typically would do a word association exercise at this point. But, your Dirty 30 buddies are trying to mess with my happiness and are coming up with their answers in advance. Did you plan ahead?
Shirin Oskooi: I have planned ahead. I have a word for every single person on this season. Even people I didn’t play with. So, I want you to name everybody.
Holmes: I’m starting to hate the Dirty 30.
Oskooi: You love me so much! You are Team Shirin!
Holmes: I am, but I’m also Team Word Association.
Oskooi: And now you have to be Team Mike.
Holmes: Alright, you want everybody?
Oskooi: Everybody.
Holmes: In order…let’s start with So.
Oskooi: Pansy Parkinson.
Oskooi: Professor Trelawney.
Holmes: OK, I see where this is going. Nina?
Oskooi: Percy Weasley.
Holmes: Lindsey?
Oskooi: Sirius Black.
Oskooi: Somewhere between Dumbledore and Grindelwald.
Holmes: Joaquin?
Oskooi: Draco Malfoy.
Holmes: Kelly?
Oskooi: Katie Bell.
Oskooi: Luna Lovegood.
Holmes: (Laughs) Joe?
Oskooi: Cedric Diggory.
Holmes: Jenn?
Oskooi: Fred Weasley.
Holmes: Do you have one for yourself?
Oskooi: Hermoine.
Holmes: Alright, let’s hit who’s left. Mike?
Oskooi: Harry Potter.
Oskooi: Seamus Finnigan.
Oskooi: Narcissa Malfoy.
Oskooi: Lucius Malfoy.
Oskooi: Wormtail who’s spent his whole life thinking he’s Gilderoy Lockhart.
Holmes: (Laughs) Rodney?
Oskooi: Voldemort.
Holmes: And we’ll finish with your buddy Will.
Oskooi: Horcrux.

what the gently caress is this

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dude asks booted players to give him a word about each of their fellow castaways.

Jenn just cursed out every single other player except Hali, while Shirin compared everyone to a Harry Potter castaway

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

For about a span of two seconds there, they were all making progress and I had this crazy thought that they might actually do it. Great television moment, even so.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

Luckily, as the game went on, they realized that I was actually really loving food at trivia.

Well there's your problem.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Nihonniboku posted:

You know, I can totally see this. I've been there before. I was invited by a friend to do trivia at a bar, but of the group, I only knew her, and one other girl. This other girl didn't like me at all, and clearly told these other people how "awful" I was before I arrived. These people I had never met before were hostile towards me from the start. It was so bizarre. As we got to playing, they'd ignore me when I'd offer up answers to the trivia questions, and go with something else.

Luckily, as the game went on, they realized that I was actually really loving food at trivia. All the answers that I'd be saying were actually correct, and I gradually won them over. By the time I left, they all gave me hugs goodbye, while that other girl with a grudge against me sat there sulking.

Basically, people are really influenced by other people's opinions.

Something similar has happened to me too. I'm pretty sure this is a universal story at this point.It's weird and confusing IRL, and its gotta be a ton worse on the island.

In my case, I managed to piss off an old-friend's wife. Next time a bunch of couples got together, I was nearly getting shunned by the chicks I didn't know. I think girls are worse.

DoggPickle fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 1, 2015

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

mdemone posted:

For about a span of two seconds there, they were all making progress and I had this crazy thought that they might actually do it. Great television moment, even so.

I didn't want them to win, but in that moment - I was like GO GO GO GO GO THIS IS AWESOME =D

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fooz posted:

From Cochran's interview with shirin:

I'd almost forgotten about Joaquin til that. Classy act that one. At least they got rid of him before the merge; can you imagine Joaquin, Rodney, Dan and Will all on the same tribe?

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd almost forgotten about Joaquin til that. Classy act that one. At least they got rid of him before the merge; can you imagine Joaquin, Rodney, Dan and Will all on the same tribe?

Replace Joaquin with Vince and you have the creepiest, most class-less 4-some EVER. just imagine Vince giving Dan some waaaaaaaaaay too long hugs.

Vince: no boobs - I'm cool with moobs In a pinch. Unless he talks to someone else; then our hug pact is BETRAYED AND I HAVE BEEN CUCKOLDED.

I'm actually pretty glad Vince was gone really quickly. His crazy eyes rapey energy was too much even for a silly TV show.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Part of me wishes Vince stuck around a bit longer because you know the creep factor would have eventually exploded, but it wouldn't feel right subjecting the islanders to him.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
mike is so frustrating. first the auction and now this. 'i have an awesome plan let me go ahead at show everyone what it is, then not do it'.

blue balls mike.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ApplesandOranges posted:

Catch his RHAP exit interview? He kept going on and on about how Sierra was a "hot piece of rear end" for the longest time.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

uranus posted:

mike is so frustrating. first the auction and now this. 'i have an awesome plan let me go ahead at show everyone what it is, then not do it'.

blue balls mike.

Actually it was a great plan. He knew he likely couldn't save her, but he did trick the majority into showing who was the bottom of the alliance (Dan). And he did this one vote ahead of when he actually has to use the idol. Every single play now knows that Mike isn't going home next, because even if he doesn't win the challenge, he can still play the hidden idol. And now Dan knows that he was the bottom of the alliance and will know that for the next 3 days and will be causing drama and making a mess while Mike can relax and try and take advantage. And if Mike DOES win immunity again...LOL.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Actually it was a great plan. He knew he likely couldn't save her, but he did trick the majority into showing who was the bottom of the alliance (Dan). And he did this one vote ahead of when he actually has to use the idol. Every single play now knows that Mike isn't going home next, because even if he doesn't win the challenge, he can still play the hidden idol. And now Dan knows that he was the bottom of the alliance and will know that for the next 3 days and will be causing drama and making a mess while Mike can relax and try and take advantage. And if Mike DOES win immunity again...LOL.

Yeah it was pretty much the most optimal play available to him.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Yeah, it was a cool play. It would have been dumb to play his idol on Shirin, when that would have only bought her three more days, and lost him the only safety he would have if he lost individual immunity. I honestly don't remember the last time I've seen an idol used so cleverly without being actually played. Maybe when Tony actively made up poo poo about what his idol did, but even that wasn't as imaginative as what Mike did.
I don't know if it'll do him much good. The likeliest thing that happens is that Rodney and Carolyn talk Dan down from the cliff, claim Tyler's going, and then boot his rear end when Mike plays the idol. Dan is a moron, and will suffer the just Survivor fate that comes to all players that can't think all the way to the end of the game. Rodney and crew could keep Dan, everyone aiming to use him as a goat, but he's just not part of the core alliance, and this alliance operates on in-group/out-group logic to a crazy extent.
Ultimately, past whenever Mike loses immunity once and plays his idol, he's going to need to keep winning immunity. Because there is zero reason to keep him in the game if he's vulnerable. The entire jury so far likes him. However, if Tyler's the next out, he has a relatively easy path, unless he comes down with Malcolm Syndrome.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I think Mike might have had better odds of pulling the move off if instead he said: I'm throwing my vote away on Shirin, Shirin will vote for one of you at random. The "Russian roulette" threat is more credible at that point, since if no one in the alliance flips and Mike does play the idol the random person is immediately out of the game. Whereas, the way he originally phrased it, a 1-1 tie between Tyler and a random is less dangerous, since you can at least hope your alliance will pick you over Tyler in the re-vote.

Of course, in actuality he and Shirin would still both vote Tyler, and he wouldn't play the idol. But I think the bluff sounds more credible and dangerous that way.

Also, as silly as this might sound, I think a little more theatricality might have sold the bluff more. Do something like make the alliance pick random numbers 1-6 out loud at Tribal and say whoever picked the lucky (mystery) number in Mike's head is getting the random vote. I think people are more likely to be paranoid of a random vote if they think they sealed their own fate by picking the wrong number.

EDIT: Obviously it's easy to think of ways to improve the strategy when you've had days to think it over and aren't starving and sleep deprived. BUT, I do think ideas like this indicate that Mike made a mistake by not talking the idea out with Shirin beforehand. They're both clever people, and she might have had a few subtle ways to tweak the play and pull it off. Considering how close they came, it's a shame he didn't talk it over with her first and get her input.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The alliance has no obligation to play into that random numbers crap. That kind of stuff is reserved for the FTC when the players have to try to win the jury over. The alliance could have just ignored him. In this case, Tyler and WIll didn't.

Shirin's exit interviews do indicate she had known about the idol, they were playing it up. They knew it was a long shot for them to spare Shirin, which was best case scenario. This was what they had intended - to show the cracks. After Will's explosion Shirin was just happy if one of 'Team Shirin' (Shirin, Jenn, Mike) won.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I think Shirin might have doomed herself by asking to see and touch the idol. If Mike had actually been going to use it, he wouldn't have asked for it back after Shirin had it.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
So assuming he doesn't win immunity, should Mike play his HII this week?

Is there any chance the six don't shatter at this point? Wouldn't he be better just to hold on to the idol, safe in the knowledge that the assume he will play it?

Someone make an argument for his playing it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

newtestleper posted:

It's really just not a risk worth taking, especially when you've been as big of threat as he's been the whole season and everyone wants you gone. He can always have a chance at winning the next challenge or finding the next idol, while getting snuffed is final.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

newtestleper posted:

So assuming he doesn't win immunity, should Mike play his HII this week?

Is there any chance the six don't shatter at this point? Wouldn't he be better just to hold on to the idol, safe in the knowledge that the assume he will play it?

The argument for him playing it is that the 6 seem to actually be delusional enough about having to turn on each other and with regards to where each of them stand that they really won't do so until actually forced to. If he doesn't win immunity he needs to play it so he will have a chance at being a valued vote if the division isn't starkly clear.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
It's actually surprisingly rare for the last surviving member of an alliance to also hold an idol. Usually by now it would have either been used/wasted at an earlier vote, or flushed out on a split vote. So it's not completely clear what Mike's best move is.

That being said, I think a strong case could be made for Mike keeping the idol. What are the scenarios in which Mike actually receives a plurality of votes?
-All 6 votes on Mike: will almost certainly not happen. It would be too big a risk for Tyler after last episode.
-Rodney's 4 + Sierra split the vote on Dan and Mike: won't happen. Unless they keep it a complete secret from Dan and he naively trusts them 100% after last episode, Dan could use his extra vote and ruin the split vote. Tyler knows about the extra vote and can probably figure this out.
-Rodney's 4 + Dan split the vote on Sierra and Mike: unlikely, since they would need to rely on Dan's loyalty after what happened last episode.
-The alliance of 6 agrees to all vote Mike but someone (likely Tyler) secretly throws 1 vote on Dan or Sierra: this is the only scenario I can think of where Mike would need to play the idol. But, again, this relies on Dan and Sierra remaining loyal.

Most likely, Rodney's 4 secretly put all 4 of their votes on Dan or Sierra to try to flush out Mike's idol, in which case Mike should certainly hang on to it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Counterpoint, Dan and Sierra (literally everyone named Sierra really) are loving retarded.

ASN
Sep 11, 2001

The Rodney 4 should put all 4 votes to Dan this week. That will get rid of the extra vote, and keep their alliance strong. Next week they will have the numbers to split the vote between Mike and Sierra. Hopefully for them Mike is too scared and plays the idol. I agree though, there is a strong case for him not playing it.

Mike already has the advantage over them, and they no longer have the luxury of flushing the idol out. They need to beat him twice in challenges to get rid of him.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Obviously Mike should play the idol so the producers can rehide it and figure out a way to give Mike a clue to where the new idol is located so their pony can win the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

IRQ posted:

Counterpoint, Dan and Sierra (literally everyone named Sierra really) are loving retarded.

I enjoy Sierra constantly saying how she should vote out (person) and when the opportunity comes, not taking it.

• Locked thread