Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Much like Assassin's Creed, I don't think Aiden could dress, act, or look more suspicious if he tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

It would appear the game actually takes place in the far flung cyber future of 2013 A.D.; 11 months after Lena's death.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rinkles posted:

It would appear the game actually takes place in the far flung cyber future of 2013 A.D.; 11 months after Lena's death.

The year is 2012. It is the future.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I had forgotten they put "At Age 6" on her tombstone, just in case the players are to distracted by the spectacle of this marvelous game to do simple math.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rinkles posted:

The game was originally supposed to be a launch title for the PS4 and XBONE, at which point those dates would have been more or less accurate.

The central conceit of the game is that the Northeast Blackout of 2003 was discovered to be the fault of a hacker so some guy decided to put everything (and yes I mean everything) in Chicago on a single centralized network to prevent that from happening ever again.

No that doesn't make any sense. There's very little in this game that will.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

klen dool posted:

I don't like him, he has a dumb voice
Yeah I'm not gonna lie I expected, like, Nolan North anti-hero voice. Steve Blum anti-hero voice. Troy Baker anti-hero voice. The butt-rock equivalent of an anti-hero voice.

And then he opens his mouth for the first time and Michael Keaton anti-hero voice? How the heck did you get here on Facemask McTrenchcoat's larynx? Is it showtime? I hope it's showtime.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Bearpigman posted:

As one of the poor bastards who wasted his money on the deluxe edition of this game, I can confirm that the Aiden statue is perfect for one thing:

Shooting other anime figures in the rear end

Why do you have the other figurine

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Kurieg posted:

This is what got me to pre-order the game. I was expecting tight, self contained environments with multiple points of entry and exit and multiple paths to success using hacking as a weapon and a downplay on guns (Since you basically have to weasel a handgun out of jordi).

The game that came in the mail was instead a GTA clone with dozens of guns, multiple high explosives, manditory vehicle sections, and cars that handle like bricks on a soapy ice rink.

And Misogyny, lots and lots of misogyny.

I stopped playing after I managed to glitch out a main story mission by having the audacity to drive around a fence.

Thing is, for that trailer, the Aiden Pierce there is much more likable than the one we got. He's more than just a growly voice.... he's like Matrix from Commando with his little interaction with the guy he's going up against.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That pixel effect was really cool on the main menu but it's just really obnoxious during cutscenes.

By the way Chip, are you playing this on PC or PS4?

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Rinkles posted:

I feel like someone made this gravestone in MS Paint. It's three text boxes on a generic stone texture.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I hope you guys find Aisha Tyler during the LP.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You know, I've guested in the other LP a few times and I still don't know why the game is called Watch-Underscore-Dogs.

Also, I'm pretty sure I heard Chicago on the in-game radio at one point. Obvious, I know, but it's my dad's favorite band so I always get a little nostalgic when I hear them play.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Anime Reference posted:

What in the world is wrong with the motorcycle engine noise? The pitch steps when it revs, like they couldn't figure out how to smoothly slide it. That is not a problem any game made after the late '80s should have.

Yeah, it sounds like it was Auto-Tuned.

The car physics looked pretty awful too, especially compared to GTA V, which has a really good balance of a sorta-detailed physics model and arcade controls. GTA V car suspensions camber inward on jumps or if wheels end up off the ground, and they generally handle like you'd expect them to, but you can also powerslide around and do huge dumb stunt jumps with air control. On PC, even driving with a keyboard works pretty well.
This game, however, seems to have been made by someone who thinks cars turn by pivoting around the center of mass. It doesn't seem like there's any actual interaction between the car's front tires, suspension, and steering system and the road. It's also really choppy like there's no smoothing of the rough keyboard/controller input into an approximation of how steering wheels work.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I got this game cheap on a sale recently and beat it and did most of the side content. It was alright.

That's my watch dogs story.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Why do you have the other figurine

because he bought the gold edition of watch_dogs duh

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It really doesn't look like a bad game per se, I mean, it's just standard Ubisoft bullshit. The story and writing, now those take it to another level.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You know, I've guested in the other LP a few times and I still don't know why the game is called Watch-Underscore-Dogs.
If anything it seems to be an appropriate name because the other characters are content to sit around and watch for Aiden to get around to finally coming over and moving the lovely plot along another notch.

Before the game came out I thought the "watch dogs" were supposed to be the player and their cool hacking buddies watching over the city, but Aiden is such an rear end in a top hat and buffoon that I'd rather have a rabid wolverine.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

anilEhilated posted:

It really doesn't look like a bad game per se, I mean, it's just standard Ubisoft bullshit. The story and writing, now those take it to another level.
Without context, Watch_Dogs really is just a mediocre Ubisoft open world game with horrible writing.

A big reason a ton of people loathe it is that Ubisoft made it look cool as hell in the leadup to the PS4's release and it didn't equal the hype at all.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

RatHat posted:

By the way Chip, are you playing this on PC or PS4?

I believe he mentioned in one of his streams (where he was replaying MGS1 I think?) He mentioned he was doing it on PC? Or maybe I'm misremembering it as his desire to do MGS:V on PC.

Considering that PS4 button prompts are showing up, and that, as far as I know, the dualshock doesn't have any official PC support, I'm going to guess it's on PS4.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Finally in on the ground floor of a Chip LP :toot:

I'm so glad I can't afford a PS4 cause I was mega hyped by the ideas in this game and I would have got this game on release and been instantly disappointed. Aiden is just terrible.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
It'd be pretty cool and interesting from an design standpoint to see side-by-sides of the "in universe" landmarks and their closest real life counterparts. It's an awful lot to ask Ironicus to drive around Chicago and photograph each landmark, but if its on the cards...

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The game seems like it had so much potential and the concept pitch is really cool, but man the execution is not and that's a shame. Should be interesting to see the story go off the rails at any rate.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Calax posted:

At least Watch_Dogs overworld is better than Mafia 2's
The weird part is that bringing in experienced racing game people kind of make sense until you remember that Ubisoft has full access to most of the people who made Driver San Francisco, people who in the meantime got so bored that they made Grow Home just to keep themselves occupied. You can tell nobody from higher up told them to make it because it doesn't have Uplay.

Ubisoft is not a very well managed company.

Bluhman posted:

I believe he mentioned in one of his streams (where he was replaying MGS1 I think?) He mentioned he was doing it on PC? Or maybe I'm misremembering it as his desire to do MGS:V on PC.

Considering that PS4 button prompts are showing up, and that, as far as I know, the dualshock doesn't have any official PC support, I'm going to guess it's on PS4.
There's a good deal of PC games out right now that will show PS4 button prompts if you plug in the DS4. Most of them are indie but that doesn't rule out PC.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
This game seemed pretty lame, but then I got to the singing fish, and realized that none of the criticisms made about this game matter and it is clearly the best game ever made.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure I heard Chicago on the in-game radio at one point. Obvious, I know, but it's my dad's favorite band so I always get a little nostalgic when I hear them play.

Wake up Sunshine is on the soundtrack and, strangely, is used during the end credits where it seems completely at odds at everything the game presents up to that point. There's nothing else on the soundtrack that I'd consider classic rock or easy listening (it's mostly weaker hiphop and EDM.)

EDIT: Watch_Dogs does show PS4 button prompts if you use a DS4. I think the latest AC titles do too, but Ubisoft seem to be the only AAA company supporting it officially.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 3, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Is it hosed up that I think that the lamb plush the lil kid had was a more better characterized written character than the kid herself?

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Wow, I think this is the fastest a game has made me dislike the protagonist. I guess it stands out in that way at least.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Black Mage Knight posted:

Wow, I think this is the fastest a game has made me dislike the protagonist. I guess it stands out in that way at least.

We're only scratching the surface.

It gets absolutely hilarious how much the game tries to apologize for his character later.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

We're only scratching the surface.

It gets absolutely hilarious how much the game tries to apologize for his character later.
Yeah. The thing is, I could easily see him working if the game showed at least a tiny bit of awareness of how much of an irredeemable rear end in a top hat wannabe badass he is. But nope, they play him completely straight and try to justify his poo poo.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah. The thing is, I could easily see him working if the game showed at least a tiny bit of awareness of how much of an irredeemable rear end in a top hat wannabe badass he is. But nope, they play him completely straight and try to justify his poo poo.

The weird thing about Watch_Dogs is that Aiden hates Big Brother. But Aiden has no problem hacking into people's private files, stealing from them, and secretly watching his sister and nephew. He is the thing he hates, which could be interesting, but they don't do anything with it. Who watches the Watch_Dogs?

krytton
Aug 11, 2014

I have seen infinity
Will this be a 100% run of WATCH_DOGS? Are you going to be able to climb all the towers and stop all the crime ever in Bizarro-Chicago?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Giant gates blocking off big streets in the middle of a city like Chicago is the most bizarre thing in this game so far.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

krytton posted:

Will this be a 100% run of WATCH_DOGS? Are you going to be able to climb all the towers and stop all the crime ever in Bizarro-Chicago?

You have to do a bunch of the towers during the plot, iirc.

Though to be honest the towers in this didn't bother me as they're very puzzle like.

EDIT: \/ Yeah, that's the best way to describe WD. It's just plain soulless. It's going through the motions required of an Ubisoft AAA title without much thought put into any feature.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 3, 2015

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think W_A_T_C_H_D_O_G_S is a bad game by any means, just more mediocre than it has a right to be. A lot of the mass hatred it got was not for being outright bad, but for being hyped as Game of the Year material and appearing as basically a budget GTA clone.

Timepiece%SibaInyu being aggressively mediocre is actually worse than it being bad, because there's just no fun or soul put into it. At least with bad games, you can have a laugh at broken physics (though thats something you can do in w_d to be fair), weird dumb AI that runs into walls, weird character animations, etc etc. You can derive enjoyment out of good and bad games alike, but something this mediocre? This bland? This loving souless? It's awful. It's worse then a bad game because of it.

Plus Aiden is a loving garbage character that the game expects you to sympathize with, but that's more spoilery and we'll see later.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

ThatPazuzu posted:

The weird thing about Watch_Dogs is that Aiden hates Big Brother. But Aiden has no problem hacking into people's private files, stealing from them, and secretly watching his sister and nephew. He is the thing he hates, which could be interesting, but they don't do anything with it. Who watches the Watch_Dogs?
HAhahahaha, ahahahahaha

It's gonna be like Remember Me was isn't it? Like it's going to look like some kind of ironic statement but in the end is just one huge-rear end hypocritical loving waste of writing cuz nobody bothered to remember the point of their story other than "HACK1N6 1Z C00L Y0!"

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This game seemed pretty lame, but then I got to the singing fish, and realized that none of the criticisms made about this game matter and it is clearly the best game ever made.
Yeah okay I mean that raises the game from 5/10 to 6/10 for me right there, I mean sorry.

Pyradox posted:

I feel like someone made this gravestone in MS Paint. It's three text boxes on a generic stone texture.
It's certainly no Hank the Chog, I mean fuckin' disappointing and who the gently caress's this Sonic lamb OC sitting all cheery in front of the grave, that's ju-okay is it MEANT to resemble Lambchop or is my age just showing? Yeah I know it's the girl's doll but really it looks like Lambchop to me.

Rirse posted:

Chip, how hard is it to LP this dull serious sandbox game when you work for a company who makes the hilarious and very fun Saints Row games?
I still can't believe he's off to Volition like a pro dude, congrats Mr. Cheezum! :dance:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Bearpigman posted:

time to break out the chart

in my case it was the "limited edition", so like $120, with quantities so limited that there was no way they'd be selling them new on amazon for like half their price in just a few months later

Why do none of these have all of the bonus crap? Not even the Ubisoft Uplay Exclusive Versions have all of the bonuses! Why is the hat only in the Vigilante Edition? Why is the Everywhere But North/South America Dedsec Edition the only one with a map of Chicago, the cards, and the badges??? :psyduck:

krytton
Aug 11, 2014

I have seen infinity

Bearpigman posted:

time to break out the chart

in my case it was the "limited edition", so like $120, with quantities so limited that there was no way they'd be selling them new on amazon for like half their price in just a few months later

Wait, what the gently caress? Why does the Dedsec Edition not include the Dedsec Pack?

Remf
Jun 28, 2008

REALLY NOT FEELIN UP TO IT RIGHT NOW. SORRY.
This game gets a lot more entertaining if you start pretending Aiden's phone is a sonic screwdriver.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Kunster posted:

Is it hosed up that I think that the lamb plush the lil kid had was a more better characterized written character than the kid herself?

Not when she's got one or two lines and the only interaction we see between her and her daduncle is in a minute-long cutscene! It's not even like it would have been hard to make us care more, something like Arkham Asylum's opening where Aiden is out with his daughtniece and eventually heads for the car would be good because they'd be able to talk a bunch, establish what the relationship looks like, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I had forgotten they put "At Age 6" on her tombstone, just in case the players are to distracted by the spectacle of this marvelous game to do simple math.

I'm actually relieved they remembered to put the death date after June so that she would actually be 6.

• Locked thread