Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Bloody posted:

I want to build this but I don't know why it should exist beyond the novelty

he could charge hausbus with them if he could pack enough battery on there to make the round trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i cant say anything more without getting yospos shut the f down

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

u got a good overhead pass tonight jonny. this is central time tho

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

i cant say anything more without getting yospos shut the f down

literally text me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'll try to grab that pass, thanks!

--
bout to trim up the windom a little bit. i'll take pics in a few

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
can you see the 40 meter antenna?

alllll the way up there

i used my painters pole to hoist a water bottle full of water with a string attached over that limb

the last six feet or so come off at a 120-ish degree angle to another tree, no tension on this one

baluns/feedpoint, just over my head when i'm standing on the roof

that Wireman awg 18 copper clad insulated is worth the money

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The trailer park people are cool with all that?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they rent me a square of concrete for $500 a month versus the ~75 a month they get out of a trailer resident. they don't give a gently caress.

besides i'll take my antennas down when they stop those god drat kids from cutting through the yard to get to the playground

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

they rent me a square of concrete for $500 a month versus the ~75 a month they get out of a trailer resident. they don't give a gently caress.

besides i'll take my antennas down when they stop those god drat kids from cutting through the yard to get to the playground

i bet that invisible wire would keep those kids from cutting through.....

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i tried that with (un-energized obv) electric fence wire. they just went around and bent up the next section of fence

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
old man 290, lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
eh i've kind of stepped down on the cutting through thing ever since a soccer ball cracked the bmw windshield

theres intangible annoyances, and tangible annoyances

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

they rent me a square of concrete for $500 a month

that seems... excessive

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

eh i've kind of stepped down on the cutting through thing ever since a soccer ball cracked the bmw windshield

theres intangible annoyances, and tangible annoyances

u got the parents to fix that for you right? we had our honda's back glass knocked out by a rock thrown by a neighbor kid and you better believe i went over and told their parents what the kid did. idk what they did to him but we got our glass replaced the next day

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

spankmeister posted:

that seems... excessive

all utilities paid

saved our rear end in the middle of winter

PuTTY riot posted:

u got the parents to fix that for you right? we had our honda's back glass knocked out by a rock thrown by a neighbor kid and you better believe i went over and told their parents what the kid did. idk what they did to him but we got our glass replaced the next day

i didn't see it happen and there are like 80 different kids running around. i'd rather just fix it and be done than be the lovely white dude living in a hispanic trailer park

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
fair enough, mine happened when we were outside smoking cigs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bah my comet 2x4sr is hosed and can't get below 3:1 on 2 meters no matter what I do

odd thing is, 70cm works fine, <1.6 across the band

emailed comet with a begging, pleading, poor-me email to see if they'll toss me a new base loading coil. this one is full of water and rust
i hear their customer service is pretty good

--

it's about to be the 40 meter part of the evening. time to see how this windom does up high. i havent tried it much since i eleveated that end this morning

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i emailed Comet and they're all "yeah you can buy a replacement base unit for 36 bucks plus shipping"

gently caress that

lets get some vise grips
unscrew, it's a little 5 turn coil from ground to antenna with the hot fed through a tiny ceramic cap labeled "68" to a tap about 2 turns down

clean off the decades of corrosion, make sure the cap lead isn't shorting to the coil, bend the big center contact pin so that it's solid and tight, file away to clean brass on all the screw/sliding contacts, button it back up

baaaaaam

1.7 at 144, 1.5 at 146, 1.3 at 148.

(and 1.2 at 150. and 1.3 at 155. and 1.2 at 162. and 1.2 at 170)

70cm is similarly hilarious, it is below 2:1 from 430 to 485 mhz

spoiler it is built for mixed use search and rescue ops across several freq ranges

this thing is effing amazing, i've never seen such a broadbanded antenna. obviously some of it is coil/cap loss but still, one hell of an antenna to hook up to a dual bander or scanner even

oh and don't forget it's a mobile antenna. so it's on a mirror mount clamped 20 feet up on a pole and i have a ground plane that is currently two wires bent severely down, at like a 70 or 75 degree angle. for testing anyways

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
290 can i "hear" the buses in town (whatever cb network) with my sdr

e: i mean their tracking signal, not whatever dumbo chat room they're in

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

ChiralCondensate posted:

290 can i "hear" the buses in town (whatever cb network) with my sdr

e: i mean their tracking signal, not whatever dumbo chat room they're in

probably not cause they are likely using lte for that. if u had an excellent antenna location(s) and they aren't using lte, maybe? dig thru FCC database and see what u find

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
spent a little time playing 20 meters in the 7-land QSO Party today just giving out points

pacnw has pretty good coverage on the new antenna but the real star is to the southwest. i can hear every single dude in arizona

good coverage to the east too, i got several new england contacts too

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
is this thing, when coupled with an old pc, useful for anything

http://www.dkdinst.com/products/810B.html

bc i have one now

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
made a thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
may have changed my mind yet again. i would keep the 475 IF i could get a matching 275. the decider will be if i get any hits on a "trading ic-271a + cash for ic-275a/h" ad i threw up

i realized my 271 is worth ~300 now that i fixed it and it has that nice RAM board that neutralizes the #1 problem with the radios (some of the code is in battery backed RAM and if it dies, the radio bricks) and maybe i could throw 250 bucks and that radio at somebody for a 275 they aren't usin

my poo poo could look like this
the very finest monoband vhf/uhf radios ever built

(the 375 in Japan was a 70cm radio - there was a US market IC-375 that did 220 MHz, but that's not a band in that hemisphere, so yeah)

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 3, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jonny 290 posted:

i realized my 271 is worth ~300 now that i fixed it and it has that nice RAM board that neutralizes the #1 problem with the radios (some of the code is in battery backed RAM and if it dies, the radio bricks)

can it be reprogrammed

things like that should've been illegal. radios and sparcstations and CPS-2 games

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i think it can be redone but most people just buy the eprom board. its $100 versus getting your old board redone for $80

manero
Jan 30, 2006

we have storms rolling through and the new crop of skywarn spotters have the roger beeps enabled on their pooofuuungs

the quality of these skywarn nets gets worse and worse each year

QSL QSL QSL 73 73 73

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

manero posted:

we have storms rolling through and the new crop of skywarn spotters have the roger beeps enabled on their pooofuuungs

QSL QSL QSL 73 73 73

skywarns been going to poo poo ever since Twister came out, truth

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
have any of the big three announced sdr tech yet? i'm not really familiar with any models at all. i mean yeah stuff like the 7850 blurs the line but i'm pretty sure they have a pretty standard superhet signal path still

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

skywarns been going to poo poo ever since Twister came out, truth

that's like almost 20 years ago

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

may have changed my mind yet again. i would keep the 475 IF i could get a matching 275. the decider will be if i get any hits on a "trading ic-271a + cash for ic-275a/h" ad i threw up

i realized my 271 is worth ~300 now that i fixed it and it has that nice RAM board that neutralizes the #1 problem with the radios (some of the code is in battery backed RAM and if it dies, the radio bricks) and maybe i could throw 250 bucks and that radio at somebody for a 275 they aren't usin

my poo poo could look like this
the very finest monoband vhf/uhf radios ever built

(the 375 in Japan was a 70cm radio - there was a US market IC-375 that did 220 MHz, but that's not a band in that hemisphere, so yeah)

dang is that pl tone squelch i see even in there?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

dang is that pl tone squelch i see even in there?

oh yeah they're 100% still with the times. scan speed is fast, PL encode (optional decode, who cares about that if you're not downtown) and they can hear a mouse fart in a hurricane down in the SSB allocations. standard icom computer control blah blah. sick rigs you still gotta come over and spin some dials soon as i get a grill

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
crs: checked into net on my ht (man we got a hot new repeater location) while flipping some chicken on the grill. Jonny get the grill. propane since ur already set for that

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

manero posted:

QSL QSL QSL 73 73 73

i actually like a good roger beep on simplex, like the chirp most digital radios play (i know the receiver makes those), the baofeng type sounds awful and is way too loud though

putting them at the start of transmissions is a good way to remind people to wait even a tiny bit before speaking into a handheld

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
haven't had a chance to see if there's any voltage drop but I got it up to 14.2v [img-awfulappsucks]
also I don't think these pots that were sold to me as linear 1k pots are, in fact, linear. if I breathe on that pot it'll shoot up high enough for OVP to kick in. and it's loud. but it'll work for a bench supply at least. I wonder if I could fool the psu into thinking the fan is on and just get rid of it entirely and use my own fan

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 4, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my 2015 challenge: GROL

lets take the tests

http://www.fcctests.com/sample.asp

elements 1 and 3

bout to try

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
element 1 22/24

element 3 68/100

need to brush up on my impedance calcs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy poo poo and i know nothing about radar and got 60% on the radar endorsement first bash through

notbad

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what does GROL mean

it sounds cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
general radiotelephone operator's license. possessing one shows you are able to understand whats going on with maritime communications and that you are a moderate solderhead. the radar endorsement means you can poke on ship radars without the FCC screaming and that is worth money

• Locked thread