Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

redcheval posted:

Yeah, nothing seems weird at all except it thinking I unplugged my phone a lot earlier than I did. My boyfriend's phone is doing all the exact same stuff as well, which makes me think it's some software issue?

E: just plugged it into a USB port to charge and the battery is still going down. Putting it in airplane mode is letting the battery creep back up a bit but I've no clue why it's doing this :ohdear:

USB port on a computer or on a charging plug? When I plug my iOS stuff into my computer it says not charging since what feels like since maybe 6.0 or 7.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You're not using a really cheap cable or anything?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Literally The Worst posted:

Is there a way in ios8 music app to sort music by artist, and then have it play only a specific album? If I hit play on something by a band with multiple albums, it'll queue up every album, which isn't remotely close to what I want.

No. It's really bad. The new version of the stock Music app that's currently in beta should hopefully remedy some of this by introducing an "Up Next" feature more like Desktop iTunes (though I haven't used the beta myself, so I can't say for sure). In the meantime, you can buy the app Picky if you want to use something that isn't totally poo poo.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

WetSpink posted:

USB port on a computer or on a charging plug? When I plug my iOS stuff into my computer it says not charging since what feels like since maybe 6.0 or 7.0

I usually plug it into the wall overnight with the Apple cable/wall charger, I just happened to be at work and only had the USB cable. It also said it was charging, but the battery was still draining pretty rapidly unless it was on airplane mode, which let me charge it back up to full. So far it seems okay, got busy yesterday and didn't have time to restore. Boyfriend updated his phone and said it seems to have fixed it for him so I'll probably try that first too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Is there a way in ios8 music app to sort music by artist, and then have it play only a specific album? If I hit play on something by a band with multiple albums, it'll queue up every album, which isn't remotely close to what I want.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

No. It's really bad. The new version of the stock Music app that's currently in beta should hopefully remedy some of this by introducing an "Up Next" feature more like Desktop iTunes (though I haven't used the beta myself, so I can't say for sure). In the meantime, you can buy the app Picky if you want to use something that isn't totally poo poo.

What? Yes there is.

Push this little shuffle button here.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
That's not what he said at all. He wants sort by artist, and then selecting only one album to play. The stock app just plays every album by an artist because it displays everything by an artist as one long pain in the rear end list.

Edit: assuming he doesn't want it shuffled, I guess I could be wrong.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

POCKET CHOMP posted:

That's not what he said at all. He wants sort by artist, and then selecting only one album to play. The stock app just plays every album by an artist because it displays everything by an artist as one long pain in the rear end list.

Edit: assuming he doesn't want it shuffled, I guess I could be wrong.

If you click that shuffle button I circled, it plays just that album shuffled. I just tested this to make sure a function I've been using for like six months actually exists.

Then you can tap shuffle all in the now playing screen to stop the shuffling if you want the album songs played sequentially and use the list button in the top right to jump to a specific song in that album.

I'm also looking forward to the up next queue to make this more granular.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, obviously it's possible, but that's a pain in the rear end since you have to deshuffle and then go back to the first song on the album, unless that just happened to be the first one picked in the shuffle.

I mean, the easiest way is to just remember the name of the album you want and select it from the album tab rather than the artist tab. But either way, it's a pain in the rear end that shouldn't have to be, the pre-iOS 7 music.app worked just fine. I'd rather just use Picky, but if you can't spare a few bucks, I guess you're stuck with the janky workaround for now.

As you can tell, I'm pretty irrationally mad about how much of a regression the current app is. I mean, this stuff all goes back to Phone + iPod, it shouldn't be this hard to just play the music I want to play. At least I got sick gigantic artist images that I didn't even want, I guess?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I certainly prefer the current behavior over the old one, where if you wanted to hear all of the albums (as I like to do) the iPhone would simply sort all of the artist's songs by name and there was no way to listen to albums in their proper order back-to-back like you used to be able to do on old iPods. So for me, it's a desired behavior.

They could easily have it both ways by playing just the particular album by tapping on the album art/header in the list, just like the "shuffle album" button there.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, I agree with you that it could/should go both ways, as everyone probably listens to poo poo differently. It's funny you mention that it should just play an album by tapping on its header/artwork, I just assumed that's how it would work when I first updated. I tried tapping it like a dummy. :(

Just having a good queueing system will go a long way, and I'm glad they're finally doing it, hopefully they don't gently caress it up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol if you use the Music app on your phone. Google Play Music all the way. Literally the only downside is no Last.Fm scrobbling if you're a big music :spergin: like myself but other than that, it's so much better in every way than Apple's offering.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lol if you use the Music app on your phone. Google Play Music all the way. Literally the only downside is no Last.Fm scrobbling if you're a big music :spergin: like myself but other than that, it's so much better in every way than Apple's offering.

I pay for Google Play Music All Access (that's a long name) myself and enjoy it a lot. I think I get my $10 per month worth. It's actually replaced my music collection and I don't really own MP3s anymore.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

:spergin: Counterpoint, smart playlists. :smug:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

iTunes Radio suits my needs.

corsair
Jan 10, 2001
oops wrong thread

corsair fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 8, 2015

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I tried Google Play Music when it came out in :canada: and I was underwhelmed, Spotify is miles better.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Anyone have a recommend for an iPhone 6 case that can hold a couple credit cards? I don't want one with a flap, though, like the bookbook. Just some slits in the back to hold cards.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
I noticed something annoying today while I was using turn by turn navigation on Apple maps. I kept getting wifi login pages popping up, obscuring the map. Is there a way to avoid this other than turning wifi off? I'm using the iPhone 5 with whatever the latest iOS version is.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rexim posted:

I noticed something annoying today while I was using turn by turn navigation on Apple maps. I kept getting wifi login pages popping up, obscuring the map. Is there a way to avoid this other than turning wifi off? I'm using the iPhone 5 with whatever the latest iOS version is.

Turn off "ask to join networks " under wifi settings.

Edit: Or maybe I'm confused as to what you're getting.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Turn off "ask to join networks " under wifi settings.

Edit: Or maybe I'm confused as to what you're getting.

Yeah I do have that setting turned off.

What happens is that I get a login page for (what I assume is) some residential or business wifi network. It completely covers up the apple maps app. I can't fiddle with it because I'm driving.

I don't have a lot of experience with iPhone turn-by-turn navigation but im almost certain this isn't supposed to happen.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Biodome posted:

Anyone have a recommend for an iPhone 6 case that can hold a couple credit cards? I don't want one with a flap, though, like the bookbook. Just some slits in the back to hold cards.

I've used the CM4 Q Card Case before. It did the job well, there may be better things out there now but this was in the early days of the iPhone 6.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Biodome posted:

I bought the Incipio Stowaway case for my wife's iPhone 6 and she loves it. It holds two cards.

EDIT: that's what I get for not reading the whole post. The Stowaway has a flap that can also act as a stand.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rexim posted:

Yeah I do have that setting turned off.

What happens is that I get a login page for (what I assume is) some residential or business wifi network. It completely covers up the apple maps app. I can't fiddle with it because I'm driving.

I don't have a lot of experience with iPhone turn-by-turn navigation but im almost certain this isn't supposed to happen.

If you've ever connected to some bullshit like "xfinity wifi" where there are a bunch of captive networks all over the place with the same name, your phone is trying to connect you to these. Next time it happens when you're not driving, forget the network. Unless your home network is one of these, in which case you really should change the name of your network and put a password on it.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 28, 2019

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

GregNorc posted:

So I forgot my iPhone backup password.

Is there any way (aside from paying for iCloud) to back up my iphone?

I'm not really concerned about the pictures/music, those are on my HD, but it'd be nice to not have to reinstall all my apps, not lose my grocery list in Notes, little things like that.

Use iTunes? I'm pretty sure you can get like 20GB for a dollar from Apple too.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Er, I guess I should have elaborated: I'm going to buy a new phone, and wanna transfer everything over when I buy it. (Esp contacts)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

GregNorc posted:

Er, I guess I should have elaborated: I'm going to buy a new phone, and wanna transfer everything over when I buy it. (Esp contacts)

Did you try deleting your backup file and redoing the backup in iTunes? Apparently an iCloud backup is just as good, but it might be faster to do the iTunes one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why don't you want to use iCloud? The free space is more than enough for a single device backup.

For that matter, why aren't your contacts in some cloud somewhere? (Be it iCloud, Google, or whatever.) I still have no idea how I see Facebook posts in 2015 with people losing their contacts on smartphones.

But yeah, just delete your old backup and make a new one if you forgot the password. It's as good as useless, anyway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Maaaaaan. I've been trying to decide between using my old iphone 5 as a dedicated mp3 player and just biting down and buying a refurb gen 4 Touch, hopefully the new music.app will be not poo poo and make that decision for me. It's such a stupid thing to not have.

I don't feel like blowing through my data plan streaming music at a job where I listen to music constantly.

e: Ended up grabbing Picky because it's so cheap. Goddamn this is everything I wanted.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 10, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't feel like blowing through my data plan streaming music at a job where I listen to music constantly.
You don't have to. You can pin playlists, albums, songs, whatever while on wifi.

The app is an awful clutter that can't seem to decide what it's trying to do, however.

I'd probably be more inclined to use it if iOS would let it work like the Android version does, in that it caches a couple GB of songs so you can just hit the randomize button and it'll play a bunch of local stuff. With T-Mobile, streaming is all uncapped for me, but I have the problem that my commute doesn't always have service so I actually need local music for at least part of it. Yay Metro tunnels.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Endless Mike posted:

You don't have to. You can pin playlists, albums, songs, whatever while on wifi.

What do you mean by this? Google Play Music can download songs individually sure but albums and playlists seem to need to be streamed, it might cache 1 or 2 songs automatically but certainly not an entire album? Is there a button I can push to get it to do that? The interface is pretty annoying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

What do you mean by this? Google Play Music can download songs individually sure but albums and playlists seem to need to be streamed, it might cache 1 or 2 songs automatically but certainly not an entire album? Is there a button I can push to get it to do that? The interface is pretty annoying.

The down arrow button there downloads for offline playback. It looks like you can make it download playlists, also, though I'm not sure it will download new songs if you update it. It might start deleting older stuff if you run out of space, but I have no idea. I haven't really used the app a whole lot since I tend to prefer Beats a bit more for my streaming of stuff.

EDIT: I used the term "pin" since it used to be an actual pin, but I guess they changed it. Or maybe it's only on Android. Either way.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 10, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does Google Music have a conversion process if I want to upload FLAC files? I'm a douchebag and only get my files in the highest quality for playing at home.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Glad you admit it, but yes.

You could have searched for that your self.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Could have, chose not to.

As I said, I'm a douchebag and view my time as more valuable than that of others.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Why would you want to stream Flac files...

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Why would you want to stream Flac files...

I don't want to stream FLAC files. I don't want to have duplicate files on my Mac wherein only one is uploaded and another is utilized.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How do I go recovering purchases I did a long time ago? When I go to my purchased tabs in iTunes it doesn't show me a bunch of albums I had bought years ago in my old ipod touch 3, but if I check that device those albums are there in the purchased tab. It's the same apple id and everything.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Sure you have "All" selected and not "Not in my library" in the middle of the Purchased page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Siri is the best way to navigate your music collection these days anyway, just yell at her to play or shuffle an album/artist/song/playlist.