Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wayward Pines is a miniseries, it has a set end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

thrakkorzog posted:

So do you think they'll actually explain the batshit plot, or will they just drag it out into the next season? Plus add a bunch of side plots. Before you answer, I'd recommend watching Under the Dome. It was a decent story, but hey, writers gotta pull poo poo out of their asses to make it a TV show.

raditts posted:

It's a 10-episode miniseries

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

I don't know that it's necessarily time stuff, there seems to be a lot of brain experimenting going on and clearly everyone inside the town is either a test subject or is spying on a test subject, so there could just be some mind fuckery based around convincing them that they've been there for X amount of time.

Except Carla Gugino's character is supposed to be older. During the flashback they did the whole de-aging face blur thing with her.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Except Carla Gugino's character is supposed to be older. During the flashback they did the whole de-aging face blur thing with her.

Oh, like your avatar?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Have they said which books they're covering? 10 episodes seems like too much for just the first (which is the only one I've read).

Edit: Looks like it's the entire trilogy. Yikes.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 15, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Also: Scandal fell off a cliff huh. I only saw the first season, what's going on that's so bad?

I fell behind and have to wait for Netflix to catch up, but Scandal is to soap opera what Mad Max Fury Road is to action movies. It burns through almost all its plot fast and has to constantly pull twists and OMG moments out of its rear end. One day, somebody might slaughter the family one of the supporting characters is stalking. That same supporting character, given reason to distrust his friend, might strip her down, tie her up, and lick her before forcibly pulling one of her teeth because -- I'm not kidding -- "YOLO." Or then there's the main character, whose father is/was the head of an eeeeeeevil black ops agency, but her mother was a sweetheart, too bad she died in a plane crash that wasn't really a plane crash because Eeeeeeevil Black Ops Dad ordered her plane shot down, and the guy who actually shot it down eventually became President of the United States and has an on and off affair with said main character (but is still pretty much a whiny teenager, he'd probably be a big fan of Feeder if he gave them a chance), but wait, Mom isn't actually dead, she was detained at the last minute by Eeeeeeevil Black Ops Dad and has kept her locked in a hole for 15 years because he loves her, but naturally she escapes, gets to our main character, and main character helps her escape the country before she learns maybe there was a reason why Eeeeeeevil Black Ops Dad kept Mom locked up, like, I dunno, maybe she's actually a black market nuclear weapons dealer who likes to sell her poo poo to well-funded contestants on America's Next Top Jihadist and that makes her a massive threat to national security. Or something.

My favorite phrase about Scandal is, "It's written on a dare." It's like Shonda Rhimes is actively working to find out how far she can take it before America says "gently caress this." (Which isn't to marginalize some of the things people might not like about the narrative: Olivia being something of a hypocrite and never getting called on it, her relationship with Fitz being obnoxious, etc.) Naturally, everyone has a different breaking point, and you just saw that critic reach his. Hopefully you go into the show realizing that even if you love it, you're probably going to hate it at some point.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's cute you think this way.

What do you think they will do if Wayward Pines is a hit, and they run out of story? Do you really think they will just walk away, welp the story has been told, nothing more to say?

Or maybe, the writers might just choose to add extra bullshit in order to pad it out.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 15, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, because the cast they got is not doing an ongoing series.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

thrakkorzog posted:

What do you think they will do if Wayward Pines is a hit, and they run out of story? Do you really think they will just walk away, welp the story has been told, nothing more to say?

The writer of the book did. It was left open but it would be a radical departure from the original tone. I think a lot of people will not like the show after the swerve as it is. I loved it and read all three books in less than 5 days.

American Crime's finale was incredible. It cemented its status in my mind as the best non-HBO drama I've ever seen. (edit: I take that back, it might be second to the first season of Rectify)

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 15, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, because the cast they got is not doing an ongoing series.

Really? Do you want to argue that no cast has never worked on a successful show for more money?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

I have zero sympathy for Matt Dylan in any role. I just want to punch his face in, so i was glad to see him getting mind hosed.

Also Carla Gugino :worship:

Sleazy Matt Dillon is probably responsible for like half of my favorite movies from the 90s.

Can't believe I didn't remember it, but the loving Knick. That was a TV show that didn't let you down.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

thrakkorzog posted:

Really? Do you want to argue that no cast has never worked on a successful show for more money?

I'm saying Fox cannot afford to lock that cast up for an ongoing series.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They've got Cuba Gooding Jr. as a headliner. I'm pretty sure Fox could afford to lock down that cast.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I reached my Scandal breaking point with that one torture scene in season 3.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Aphrodite posted:

Who knows how many get killed off.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Particularly considering one of them is the star of their biggest new hit.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

thrakkorzog posted:

Or maybe, the writers might just choose to add extra bullshit in order to pad it out.

Don't watch it, that's fine. People were just explaining how your (not incorrect) notion of mystery shows is wrong in this instance.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I reached my Scandal breaking point with that one torture scene in season 3.

I don't know, the first episode turned me off only a few minutes in. After the tenth time they referred to each other as "gladiators". There's nothing more hacky than having your characters talk about how competent they are, instead of showing it. Looks like my bailing was the right thing to do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are all Shonda Rimes shows like Scandal?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shageletic posted:

I don't know, the first episode turned me off only a few minutes in. After the tenth time they referred to each other as "gladiators". There's nothing more hacky than having your characters talk about how competent they are, instead of showing it. Looks like my bailing was the right thing to do.

Yeah, you gotta give it until the end of the second season premiere. The first season is more like a rough pass at what the show will eventually become.

zoux posted:

Technically she only has this and Grey's Anatomy, which is more subdued and romantic but can occasionally dive into big, ridiculous episodes. (I think she's actually a better thriller writer than a romance writer.) But yeah, the shows produced under her banner like How to Get Away With Murder and the upcoming The Catch come from writers who came up in her rooms (Pete Nowalk, Jenna Bans) and follow similar philosophies. (Then again, Shondaland also has (had?) a script in development from David Slack, who is a key player in the Person of Interest room, previously ran Teen Titans for Cartoon Network, and as far as I know, never worked in one of Shonda's rooms.)

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 15, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, you gotta give it until the end of the second season premiere. The first season is more like a rough pass at what the show will eventually become.

Technically she only has this and Grey's Anatomy, which is more subdued and romantic but can occasionally dive into big, ridiculous episodes. (I think she's actually a better thriller writer than a romance writer.) But yeah, the shows produced under her banner like How to Get Away With Murder and the upcoming The Catch come from writers who came up in her rooms (Pete Nowalk, Jenna Bans) and follow similar philosophies. (Then again, Shondaland also has (had?) a script in development from David Slack, who is a key player in the Person of Interest room, previously ran Teen Titans for Cartoon Network, and as far as I know, never worked in one of Shonda's rooms.)

It's a style I really don't like, but people go bananas for her shows. I guess that's just a facet of pop culture I won't be able to partake of :sigh:

Parachute
May 18, 2003

zoux posted:

Hmmm so how did they get rid of Nina Dobrev on TVD last night?

Also: Scandal fell off a cliff huh. I only saw the first season, what's going on that's so bad?

Basically everything has been building up to taking down Rowan (Olivia's dad)/B-613 and they do this by having Jake (Former B-613 agent) testify against the organization in a secret trial. The first lady is then blackmailed by Rowan to giving him a list of names which turns out to be the list of jurors who are all subsequently killed by (later revealed) Huck causing a mistrial. Rowan pretty much then destroys any evidence of B-613 and calls Olivia claiming she'd "won" and he could just go back to living his life as a "curator at the Smithsonian". Then, just when all hope is lost, Quinn mentions a few million dollars Huck had stolen from B-613 last season was still floating around and why couldn't it be used against B-613? Using super computer powers, they pretty much make it look like Rowan had been embezzling money from the museum and he is arrested and last seen in county jail. In the end, they pretty much just shelved the conclusion to this story for another time, and are making it look like the next season will focus on Fitz & Olivia getting together (maybe for real, who knows) since the President, after finding out about (now Junior Senator of Virginia) Mellie's involvement with the juror list, kicks her out of the White House and fires Cyrus for his involvement as well. Charlie's fate remains unknown :(

Edit: Shondaland also includes How to Get Away With Murder which is decent.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

It's a style I really don't like, but people go bananas for her shows. I guess that's just a facet of pop culture I won't be able to partake of :sigh:

Look at you, accepting and moving on like a loser. Why can't you go over the edge for a show and then suddenly turn on it when it has an off year? All the cool kids in the Arrow thread are doing it.

Hulu orders 26 Mindy Project episodes: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/15/mindy-project-hulu

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Parachute posted:

Basically everything has been building up to taking down Rowan (Olivia's dad)/B-613 and they do this by having Jake (Former B-613 agent) testify against the organization in a secret trial. The first lady is then blackmailed by Rowan to giving him a list of names which turns out to be the list of jurors who are all subsequently killed by (later revealed) Huck causing a mistrial. Rowan pretty much then destroys any evidence of B-613 and calls Olivia claiming she'd "won" and he could just go back to living his life as a "curator at the Smithsonian". Then, just when all hope is lost, Quinn mentions a few million dollars Huck had stolen from B-613 last season was still floating around and why couldn't it be used against B-613? Using super computer powers, they pretty much make it look like Rowan had been embezzling money from the museum and he is arrested and last seen in county jail. In the end, they pretty much just shelved the conclusion to this story for another time, and are making it look like the next season will focus on Fitz & Olivia getting together (maybe for real, who knows) since the President, after finding out about (now Junior Senator of Virginia) Mellie's involvement with the juror list, kicks her out of the White House and fires Cyrus for his involvement as well. Charlie's fate remains unknown :(

Edit: Shondaland also includes How to Get Away With Murder which is decent.

Wait that guy is still the President?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

zoux posted:

Grey's Anatomy veers closer to standard fare med procedural ("doctors save lives and also try to gently caress each other") rather than anything more heavily serialized, though its big event episodes can be good watches.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Wait that guy is still the President?

Yeah what happened was on Election Day Olivia's evil mom was going to blow up a funeral both he and Fitz's opponent were scheduled to be at, but Fitz's chief of staff got wind and decided to stall Fitz so his opponent would be the only one there. But the opponent survives the blast in a fluke, and gets a big poll bump by running around playing Florence Nightingale on camera. (It should be noted that this character is basically Michelle Bachman on speed; she killed her closeted husband after she saw pictures of him sleeping with the Chief of Staff's husband, and her guilt over it caused this to happen -- IF YOU WATCH ONE SCANDAL CLIP, THIS IS THE ONE TO WATCH.) Anyway, that afternoon, Fitz appears with his family on stage at one event or another, only for Fitz's son to foam at the mouth and collapse. He dies minutes later, apparently assassinated by Olivia's mom, swinging the polls back Fitz's way. Fitz wins.

Except Olivia's mom didn't kill him. It was Olivia's dad, who masterminded it because Olivia wanted Fitz to win. He framed Olivia's mom and captured her so that President Fitz can feel indebted to him and let him keep his evil black ops organization going. Columbus Short found out about all this, but he beat his wife so Olivia's dad killed him

So yeah, like you figured; probably not your thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah what happened was on Election Day Olivia's evil mom was going to blow up a funeral both he and Fitz's opponent were scheduled to be at, but Fitz's chief of staff got wind and decided to stall Fitz so his opponent would be the only one there. But the opponent survives the blast in a fluke, and gets a big poll bump by running around playing Florence Nightingale on camera. (It should be noted that this character is basically Michelle Bachman on speed; she killed her closeted husband after she saw pictures of him sleeping with the Chief of Staff's husband, and her guilt over it caused this to happen -- IF YOU WATCH ONE SCANDAL CLIP, THIS IS THE ONE TO WATCH.) Anyway, that afternoon, Fitz appears with his family on stage at one event or another, only for Fitz's son to foam at the mouth and collapse. He dies minutes later, apparently assassinated by Olivia's mom, swinging the polls back Fitz's way. Fitz wins.

Except Olivia's mom didn't kill him. It was Olivia's dad, who masterminded it because Olivia wanted Fitz to win. He framed Olivia's mom and captured her so that President Fitz can feel indebted to him and let him keep his evil black ops organization going. Columbus Short found out about all this, but he beat his wife so Olivia's dad killed him

So yeah, like you figured; probably not your thing.

Y'all this show sounds bad.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Thank you Hulu. I guess I'll have to actually use you now.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Junkenstein posted:

Don't watch it, that's fine. People were just explaining how your (not incorrect) notion of mystery shows is wrong in this instance.

None of us have actually seen the show, and a bunch of people are just hoping that in this case a particular mystery show might actually be good. I choose to point out that based on the recent history of such shows, it will probably suck.

I apologize for being a cynical dick on this issue, I blame TV.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Jesus, Scandal makes 24 sound sane and coherent.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

Y'all this show sounds bad.

I'm not going to read the spoilers because I'm behind on Season 4, but 'bad' isn't the right way to describe Scandal. It's just out there. You might not like it, and plenty of people I'm sure don't, but when it gets in gear it just has this unabashed 'give no fucks' nature to it that you kind of have to admire.

Essentially take a normal network drama writing room, then force them to drink a crate of Four Loko. Each. Scandal is what emerges.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Essentially take a normal network drama writing room, then force them to drink a crate of Four Loko. Each. Scandal is what emerges.

Okay, THIS is my new favorite way to describe Scandal.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

thrakkorzog posted:

I choose to point out that based on the recent history of such shows

Shows adapted from completed works whose plot they plan to cover in a single showing? How many of them have you seen recently? Because most of the ones I've seen have just ended. You do know there are a ton of miniseries out there that just do their business and end, yes? It's not like all those Civil War miniseries that were popular went "Hey we had a good thing going, what if they had a SECOND Civil War?" or some poo poo.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Shows adapted from completed works whose plot they plan to cover in a single showing? How many of them have you seen recently? Because most of the ones I've seen have just ended. You do know there are a ton of miniseries out there that just do their business and end, yes? It's not like all those Civil War miniseries that were popular went "Hey we had a good thing going, what if they had a SECOND Civil War?" or some poo poo.

Well off the top of my head, Under the Dome was a self contained novel that got turned into a lovely series. You really don't want to argue that some books adapted for TV were good, because their really aren't that many good adaptations. There's Roots, and Game of Thrones is in the maybe pile. And then there's a whole lot of lovely TV adaptations of novels.

You really don't want to argue that TV has a history of making good adaptations of novels.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Boogaleeboo posted:

Only if the sentence "Reconstruct this, motherfucker" is used.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

thrakkorzog posted:

At this point I've given up on shows that rely on some big mystery for their plot. They never bother to resolve the mystery, and half the time the writers are just making poo poo up as they go along and just adding more unanswered questions.

The writers are just jerking us around, so you know what, gently caress any show based around some big weird mystery. If the show can go through one season without adding a half dozen extra mysteries that the writers pulled out of their asses, I might consider watching it.

Oh yeah, they've got M. Night Shyamalan to give his seal of approval, despite the fact that he's a hack that relies on twist endings. Do you think we're getting The Sixth Sense Shyamalan? I'm pretty sure we're probably getting Lady in the Water Shyamalan.

So yeah, I'm gonna skip Wayward Pines.

i hope in the end the entire dc universe is just a nature reserve inside a park

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

Well off the top of my head, Under the Dome was a self contained novel that got turned into a lovely series. You really don't want to argue that some books adapted for TV were good, because their really aren't that many good adaptations. There's Roots, and Game of Thrones is in the maybe pile. And then there's a whole lot of lovely TV adaptations of novels.

Somebody needs to see Homicide: Life on the Street.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Somebody needs to see Homicide: Life on the Street.

I've seen it, somebody needs to watch Parker Lewis and Molly Ringwald in The Stand if you think that TV adaptations are all that great.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

I've seen it, somebody needs to watch Parker Lewis and Molly Ringwald in The Stand if you think that TV adaptations are all that great.

Not defending them in general, just pointing out that there's more in the good pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Not defending them in general, just pointing out that there's more in the good pile.

There really aren't that many in the good pile, we just tend to forget the bad ones. For every decent TV adaption you can remember, I can name two bad TV adaptations we would like to forget about.

• Locked thread