Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Tremek posted:

Struggling with a very first world problem. '12+ ML63 versus '12 X5M, and then throw in '11+ Cayenne Turbos into the mix as well. Tuning potential over and above the stock tune is a factor. '12 X5M will be about $10k cheaper than a '12 ML63, that buys a bunch of mods.

What would you do?

X5M. Best car overall. While the Porsche probably has a slight handling advantage, it's more expensive (as are parts and running/maintenance costs) and far uglier. The 63s make a fantastic noise, but Mercedes don't have the same kind of drive as BMWs, and the X5M is more engaging to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

New grille on the 300SD, now I just need to get around to installing the new headlight assemblies I bought and the front of the car might actually look ok

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Mooseykins posted:

X5M. Best car overall. While the Porsche probably has a slight handling advantage, it's more expensive (as are parts and running/maintenance costs) and far uglier. The 63s make a fantastic noise, but Mercedes don't have the same kind of drive as BMWs, and the X5M is more engaging to drive.

Getting it Friday. Now I have to go hang out with the E36 BMW owners snobs instead of you guys :(

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

rscott posted:

New grille on the 300SD, now I just need to get around to installing the new headlight assemblies I bought and the front of the car might actually look ok

drat, now I want to ride around looking like an African dictator too.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Looking at W168s (mk1 A-class) at the moment. Bit smitten with the load-carrying capability vs the manoeuvrability for our tiny UK cities.

Anything I should look for or know?

e: blah blah moose test blah :)

meltie fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 16, 2015

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

meltie posted:

Looking at W168s (mk1 A-class) at the moment. Bit smitten with the load-carrying capability vs the manoeuvrability for our tiny UK cities.

Wow, I guess you never got the A-class in America (aside from literally one, imported on diplomatic plates)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

meltie posted:

Wow, I guess you never got the A-class in America (aside from literally one, imported on diplomatic plates)

Sadly true. We get the A-class on platform shoes, aka the GLA.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Quick question for a C63: my friend said forums say to use 0W40 instead of MB recommended 5W40 because it has a better additives package. Sounds like BS to me. Any experience with this? Trying to figure out how to search the thread.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

CharlesM posted:

Quick question for a C63: my friend said forums say to use 0W40 instead of MB recommended 5W40 because it has a better additives package. Sounds like BS to me. Any experience with this? Trying to figure out how to search the thread.

Would depend on the individual brand/model of the oil, as they vary wildly. 0w40 vs 5w40 is just a rating, relative viscosity of the oil at 0 degrees C vs its measures viscosity at 100 degrees C. the 0 vs the 5 is a small difference.

They are most likely recommending the Mobil 1 European Blend 0w40 which is a great oil, regardless of actual weight. One of the best on the market right now, just make sure to check in between oil changes, as some engines can burn certain oils more than others due to a variety of reasons. So if it likes to eat/burn a specific oil, try switching to another good oil in a similar weight and see if it stops burning/consuming oil. Some of the ideal oil choices can be trial and error.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Tremek posted:

If/when a ~*~TRACKHAWK ABARTH SRT 9000~*~ shows up, I'll let someone else eat the initial depreciation on it and pick one up a few years later. :smug: X5M should be fun in the meantime.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/jeep-grand-cherokee-trackhawk-performance-specs-news/

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

meltie posted:

Probably too late, but my mom has a 2005 second gen A-class she bought new, and it has been absolutely bulletproof. The only things i can remember going wrong where a flayed windscreen wiper and a burnt out headlight bulb. Said bulb was changed in 2 minutes without tools, which i guess is good for such a tightly packaged vehicle. It has been serviced, but often more than a year overdue. I think the second gen was quite a big improvement over the mk1, so i would maybe look into those.

A bit of rust is developing on the bottom of the front doors though. Look out for that?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

That will be neat if it happens. Hopefully the X5M will tide us over on something oversized and too fast until those are available. :)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

meltie posted:

My cousins 2004 A160 has been a complete pile of poo poo. Rust, electrical gremlins, snapped springs (all 4!), you name it. Rear wishbone bushings has been changed several times and they still make strange noises, front wishbone was changed because the bushings were done for, front strut bearings on both sides were completely shot and had to be changed. Both front shock mounts were rusted out completely and had to be changed along with the springs.

Not really relating to the car as such, but last year she suddenly lost 3rd and 5th gear. MB shop wanted to take down the gearbox and split it to diagnose. I said "gently caress that" and did some checking, both in car and internetwise, and apparently theres a small plastic clip on the gear selector cable that likes to crack and fall off after X miles, very common and easily diagnosed since it's almost always 3rd & 5th. Cost me 15£ and 15 minutes to fix, and when I talked to the MB shop they denied ever hearing of this fault before...

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
I really want a CLS55. Are these part of that "low build quality era" or are they generally pretty solid?

I always was in love with the car, and poo poo now that I can afford one, been strongly considering it. I need me a german muscle car in my life with wild style.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

My cousins 2004 A160 has been a complete pile of poo poo. Rust, electrical gremlins, snapped springs (all 4!), you name it. Rear wishbone bushings has been changed several times and they still make strange noises, front wishbone was changed because the bushings were done for, front strut bearings on both sides were completely shot and had to be changed. Both front shock mounts were rusted out completely and had to be changed along with the springs.

Not really relating to the car as such, but last year she suddenly lost 3rd and 5th gear. MB shop wanted to take down the gearbox and split it to diagnose. I said "gently caress that" and did some checking, both in car and internetwise, and apparently theres a small plastic clip on the gear selector cable that likes to crack and fall off after X miles, very common and easily diagnosed since it's almost always 3rd & 5th. Cost me 15£ and 15 minutes to fix, and when I talked to the MB shop they denied ever hearing of this fault before...

This sounds familiar. Bought one, seemed OK on the test drive. Rear wishbone bushings now revealing themselves, plus the rear main oil seal has prolapsed itself out a bit so it's drooling oil.

Thankfully it's an automatic.

Humbug posted:

Probably too late, but my mom has a 2005 second gen A-class she bought new, and it has been absolutely bulletproof. The only things i can remember going wrong where a flayed windscreen wiper and a burnt out headlight bulb. Said bulb was changed in 2 minutes without tools, which i guess is good for such a tightly packaged vehicle. It has been serviced, but often more than a year overdue. I think the second gen was quite a big improvement over the mk1, so i would maybe look into those.

A bit of rust is developing on the bottom of the front doors though. Look out for that?

Heh, I just got back from replacing the coilpack (which - for the engine position - was a surprisingly easy job) :)

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

EAB posted:

I really want a CLS55. Are these part of that "low build quality era" or are they generally pretty solid?

I always was in love with the car, and poo poo now that I can afford one, been strongly considering it. I need me a german muscle car in my life with wild style.

Should be solid, the drivetrain is well-proven at this point. They are very similar to the E-class so expect expensive tires and brakes and potentially failing AirMatic suspension components

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Did the CL ever have a retractable hard top?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

blk posted:

Did the CL ever have a retractable hard top?

No. The CL is basically a 2 door S class. My understanding is that there is now going to be a s-class convertible however I don't think one of those has existed for a long time, if ever.

AFAIK the only retractable hard tops have been on the SL and the SLK.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

I painted the plastic insert on my old grill black and holy poo poo the difference is astounding compared to the lovely grey. Even with the rusted, scratched and dented chrome trim strips on there it looks 10 times better. I bought some new ones along with a new grille emblem and when they arrive I think I'm going to swap it back to the sedan grille.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

rscott posted:

I painted the plastic insert on my old grill black and holy poo poo the difference is astounding compared to the lovely grey. Even with the rusted, scratched and dented chrome trim strips on there it looks 10 times better. I bought some new ones along with a new grille emblem and when they arrive I think I'm going to swap it back to the sedan grille.

Much better choice!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its amazing what a rattle can of paint can do.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
So a couple of weeks ago I did the AMG Academy at COTA.
Pretty amazing experience.

We started the day with drifting. That is a 507 edition. I suck rear end at drifting. Other people, not so much.
Ever gotten the chance to light up a 500+ horsepower car with no consequences? Its so choice.

This is one of our instructors. He is very angry because I suck at drifting.
All of them were active or former professional drivers ranging from Indy Cars to Rally.

Drag racing. E63 and CL63

Winning.

Stopping/Anti-lock tests in sl63s. This was a fun one. They would get us up to speed and the instructor would choose a direction (left or right) while making us slam on the brakes. The goal was to dodge the children. This often happened.

Autocross in the CLA45. They really let us beat on these things. We started tearing up the Circuit of the America's pavement in the stop box.

Now for the show. The AMG GTS. We did a lot of Chase/Follow work on the track in these and the SL63.
We actually had huge rain storm. It got so bad they had to pull us off the track for a while because of standing water. Before they did that, I got to do a pass on the straights hitting 120+ mph in a torrential downpour. I could NOT see my lead car, but I knew he was about 40 feet in front of me. Somewhere. That was pant-shittingly scary but a hell of a cool experience.

Yah, baby. At the end of the day we all got "taxi rides" from our instructors. An SLS AMG in the hands of a pro means a wonderful wonderful couple of minutes.

My thoughts on the cars.
CLA45: The sound on these guys is hilarious and fun. I give MB major kudos for wringing 355hp from that tiny engine. They handle better than they really should, but feel was a bit numb. The interior was really a let down. Given that the ATS-V and the M2 will all come in above price-wise this car sits in an interesting spot with the Focus RS and not much else. I cant imagine myself ever buying one, but they do entertain.

Sl63: First I have to address one thing, the Sl63s we had came equipped with "Active Bolster Control". This is not good. Have you ever been "creeped out" by a car? I have now. The active bolsters slowly inflate and deflate and feels like a uncle touchy rubbing your back whispering "mmmm that swimming sure is building your shoulders". They also can't keep up on a race track and are constantly pushing you the wrong way.
They cars have evolved light years beyond where they were just a few years ago. They do an amazing job straddling "track car" and "successful orthodontist in traffic". But like the active bolsters, you can just tell this car isn't happy on a track. It was never designed to win a race. Inside they are dead silent, outside they sound glorious.

E63/CLS63: Fast sedans, nothing too surprising here. I never really understood why these cars exist. The dollar/fun ratio is just too far out of whack for me. Numb steering, numb brakes, very comfortable.

AMG GTS: I love the design. LOVE IT. This is the first truly iconic design MB has had in decades. How does it handle. Well. Very Very well. The interior is the most engaging MB has made in years. The transmission shifts are lightning fast. If I have to nitpick it is how good the computers are. This car was letting me drive way beyond my personal skill level. So much fun though. Now, on the downside, this sucker starts at $130,000. The one I had was $176,000 (including a $10,000 paint option). Now we have a problem since the F-type R runs $100,000. I took one of those out a few weeks earlier and it is fantastic machine. Here is the issue for mercedes; If you care about track times, you are still going to buy the 911 Turbo or the GT2. If you don't you might as well save $30,000 and get the Jag. When the GT comes out next year, however, I can completely see it stealing sales on the lower end 911s.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 11, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tai-Pan posted:

AMG GTS: I love the design. LOVE IT.

Oh, so that's what that was. I saw one of those on the freeway earlier this week, and couldn't tell wtf it was until I got up to it and saw the badge. It was just badged "AMG" with the mercedes logo, too. :ms:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tai-Pan posted:

Sl63: First I have to address one thing, the Sl63s we had came equipped with "Active Bolster Control". This is not good. Have you ever been "creeped out" by a car? I have now. The active bolsters slowly inflate and deflate and feels like a uncle touchy rubbing your back whispering "mmmm that swimming sure is building your shoulders".

LMAO yeah that is some super gimmicky lame poo poo

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Dislike button posted:

LMAO yeah that is some super gimmicky lame poo poo

It always freaked people out in my E55. I sort of miss them, though.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

So having perused the previous pages of the thread for possible answers and really only finding that incredibly entertaining post about the roof mechanisms and how the fluid for it plays so nicely with seals...

What, if any, general consensus is there on older SLK's, specifically the R171's? My poor old BMW Z3 which I loved to death was murdered in a multi car pile up on the 4th of July, and after that lovely nearly dying experience I've been looking at replacing it with a newer model European cousin, specifically a 2005 SLK350. This could be a Very Bad Idea, but I love the look of the car and the idea of having something that *doesn't* sound like a wind tunnel on the highway but still is able to drop the top is very appealing. Have test driven and liked what I felt, though the roof was a bit squeaky on surface streets, but should there be any huge pitfalls potentially awaiting me in the future I'd love fair warning.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

AFIK there isn't any huge issues with them. The main problem with the hydraulics and seals is normally because of nobody using the roof. People leave the tops up pretty much year round here then the seals get dried out, then once they try to use the roof the seals get blown out. At least in our shop we really only see them come in for water leaks at the trunk and the resulting electronics getting fried because of that. But still we really don't see SLKs that often anyway. Also most of the SLK 350s are in the range of the affected engines for balance shaft gear issues. Mercedes does have program they are setting up to help pay for the cost of repairs due to the balance shaft gear failure but they haven't finalized anything yet and probably won't until August or September.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

How bad of an idea would it be to buy a 2004 S600? Looks like it's been taken good care of, 120k miles. I'm happy doing any work/maintenance on the car myself and even have a Delphi ds150e scanner. I've done engine/transmission swaps, head gasket jobs on Land Rovers, complete suspension swaps, etc. From what I've seen, parts prices aren't too ridiculous, but it's the labor rates when taking it to MB is when things go skyrocketing.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Team140 posted:

How bad of an idea would it be to buy a 2004 S600? Looks like it's been taken good care of, 120k miles. I'm happy doing any work/maintenance on the car myself and even have a Delphi ds150e scanner. I've done engine/transmission swaps, head gasket jobs on Land Rovers, complete suspension swaps, etc. From what I've seen, parts prices aren't too ridiculous, but it's the labor rates when taking it to MB is when things go skyrocketing.

Godspeed, ye intrepid soul.

It's a cool car, and since you claim some mechanical aptitude you can probably do alright. Parts aren't cheap, but if you can do the work yes that will help.

Start here: http://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/431985-ongoing-maintenance-repair-2003-s600.html

And also read the guy's purchase thread that's linked in that first post. Should give you some perspective on what you're facing.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If you open up the exhaust a bit with something aftermarket those V12 Mercs sound absolutely terrifying. I say go for it. :)

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
If you can work on it go for it. I like this article on the subject: http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/the-180-mph-cheaper-sleeper-the-story-of-my-mercedes-s-1534030903

My take away is that the coil packs and the ABC system can gently caress your bank account, on top of all the other little poo poo that will be wrong with a 12 year old Mercedes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MASuYRD7Gpg

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Pretty sure those straight exhaust cars are non-turbo, '03+ was turbo which is a good thing from a power perspective.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tremek posted:

Pretty sure those straight exhaust cars are non-turbo, '03+ was turbo which is a good thing from a power perspective.

You're right, I always forget the engines changed midway through that body style (even though Mercedes changes drivetrains mid-generation all the time)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
You also need a code scanner that can talk to all the modules on the car too. A regular obd2 reader won't cut it.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I have seen functioning Xentry (mb dealer scanners) knockoff units that actually work, I wouldn't want to have to work on a Mercedes with anything less than that. The V12s sound awesome at startup, but they're a pain to work on engine wise, and everything V12 specific is expensive. I'd only do it if it's a really good deal and you have plenty of money for parts. The V8 S-Class is a lot more solid, easier to work on, and less thirsty,, but I'm guessing you're only interested because of that sweet, sweet zwölfzylinder (can't blame you, I bought a BMW 850 for that reason alone)

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Frank Dillinger posted:

I have seen functioning Xentry (mb dealer scanners) knockoff units that actually work, I wouldn't want to have to work on a Mercedes with anything less than that. The V12s sound awesome at startup, but they're a pain to work on engine wise, and everything V12 specific is expensive. I'd only do it if it's a really good deal and you have plenty of money for parts. The V8 S-Class is a lot more solid, easier to work on, and less thirsty,, but I'm guessing you're only interested because of that sweet, sweet zwölfzylinder (can't blame you, I bought a BMW 850 for that reason alone)

I will say (as a car guy) the thought of owning my first V12 is exciting. I would drop this S600 thought in a heartbeat if there was an 850CSi reasonably priced near me.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Team140 posted:

I will say (as a car guy) the thought of owning my first V12 is exciting. I would drop this S600 thought in a heartbeat if there was an 850CSi reasonably priced near me.

No don't. The M120 is a really good, reliable engine (allegedly the most reliable one Merc made at the time), while the M70/M73 is a terrible design.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
God Bless anyone crazy enough to buy a V12. You are doing the Lord's Work.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

go3 posted:

God Bless anyone crazy enough to buy a V12. You are doing the Lord's Work.

This seems to be a pretty good overview of what owning a V12 merc is like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhX0Y2wQfqo

(summary: engine is great, beware of everything else breaking, especially the air suspension, also not actually that sporty despite the big engine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

HotCanadianChick posted:

No don't. The M120 is a really good, reliable engine (allegedly the most reliable one Merc made at the time), while the M70/M73 is a terrible design.

The merc v12s are way better than bmws, no doubt. The m73 is actually a good, if lacklustre, engine. It's an improvement over the m70 anyway. Neither have a lot of tuning potential, but who really does much to a german v12 anyway?

I'd say the merc V8s of any vintage are my vote for most reliable engine in a mercedes. Maybe the v12 is more reliable overall, but it'd cost way more to keep it running.