Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Matthew Beet posted:

"Again I don't explain anything I ever do in Mafia because I'm a GENIUS and anyone who comes after me must be scum. :smuggo:"

##vote Asphyxious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
This'll be interesting.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Got caught up making/eating dinner last night so I missed the lynch, but it looks like everyone managed to get town killed anyway so...

:mediocre:

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
Perhaps I'm missing something here but Aspy did something fairly normal (shaving a few hours off a deadline is common when trying to avoid a nolynch) - explained why he wanted to do it - Matt Fat Beats came in and made a joke about it (I will not comment on the malicious level of the joke) and this caused Tirade to vote for Aspy?! Am I the only one who sees Tirade's vote as a scumvote? Like if we lynched Aspy and if he came out town this is the kinda "well I didn't see anyone better and Matty said we should vote Aspy" kinda bullshit? Seems bad to me buddy;
##vote Tirade

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Asphyxious posted:

Two reasons:

One, it was fun. I've never got to hammer someone before and I thought eh why not. It was what, two hours early on day one? Day one is crap anyway.

Two, it's a nice set up because like a lot of my plays it looks scummy, so it'll plum up data AND work towards delaying my inevitable night kill. Scum always keep me around thinking they can train a lynch on me, and they're always wrong.

I'm now in a position where I can observe who is making an approach towards me being the "obvious" target and I'm more than convinced scum will slip up.

Nah guys, I just make plays that "look" scummy, but it's all part of an elaborate ruse to flush out the real scum.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

i'm really not feeling the push on gaspy tbh

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Kleedrac posted:

Perhaps I'm missing something here but Aspy did something fairly normal (shaving a few hours off a deadline is common when trying to avoid a nolynch) - explained why he wanted to do it - Matt Fat Beats came in and made a joke about it (I will not comment on the malicious level of the joke) and this caused Tirade to vote for Aspy?! Am I the only one who sees Tirade's vote as a scumvote? Like if we lynched Aspy and if he came out town this is the kinda "well I didn't see anyone better and Matty said we should vote Aspy" kinda bullshit? Seems bad to me buddy;
##vote Tirade

Nah I pinged it too, especially after Tirade prompted the question of what I was doing, then ignored my response to post instead something else damning me. Very obviously running to an agenda, but I was hoping to see who else followed him.

But eh. Found the first person I'm confident is scum so I'll get more later.

##vote tirade

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

eh, im not feeling it.
this is auspol mafia, and we are all bad players.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Man you people who actually go out and stuff are weird, I was still sitting around at home for Important Mafia Business even though last night was my birthday!

(but it was a very nice birthday, I ate a whole bunch of black forest cake and got a nice present :buddy:)

Kleedrac posted:

Well, it's tricky. This has kind of has been normal behavior for Gaspy before, trying to look a little scummy so the scum think it's handy to keep him around instead of killing him off on night 1. He's been nightkilled very quickly in many games after latching on dangerously quick to an important scum. But I thought he was trying to branch out and change up his game a bit more recently? Incidentally, Gaspy this is exactly why even as town I have to worry about what you're up to. :cheeky: Not sure yet if I can get behind your quick push on Tirade though, it reminds me too much of my own classic "bait and look for scum framing me up" strategy that actually kind of sucked most of the time.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

digging into the SMAC lore

quote:

As the writhing, teeming mass of mindworms swarmed over the outer perimeter, we saw the defenders recoil in horror. "Stay calm! Use your flame guns!" shouted the commander, but to no avail.
It is well know that the Mind Worm Boil uses psychic terror to paralyze its prey, and then carefully implants ravenous larvae into the brains of its still-conscious victims.
Even with the best weapons, only the most disciplined troops can resist this horrific attack.

Lady Deirdre Skye, "Our Secret War"

Accompanies the Secret Project "The Citizen's Defense Force"

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Kommando posted:

It's the SMAC equivalent of the Great Wall, gives you a free perimeter defence in every city

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
What does that mean in auspol mafia?

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Kommando posted:

Help me out here. Is this to do with your quest?

I know nothing of SMAC and it's tempting to write off all character posting and lore posting as white noise bullshit.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Asphyxious posted:

I know nothing of SMAC and it's tempting to write off all character posting and lore posting as white noise bullshit.

Citizens defence force got activated overnight, check the start of day 2 post

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Gough Suppressant posted:

Citizens defence force got activated overnight, check the start of day 2 post

Right so what's the worm thing then?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

and some SMAC news, Civ:Beyond Earth gets an expansion pack; Rising Tide.

http://www.civilization.com/en/news/2015-05-civilization-beyond-earth-rising-tide-fall-2015/

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Kleedrac posted:

##vote Tirade

It wasn't Beet's post that made me vote for gaspy, it was gaspy's poo poo answer to my question. He ignored the fact that he potentially stuffed up Kommando's project, and hand waved the dodginess away by doing his usual supergenius routine.

I'm not gonna claim that I'm certain gaspy is scum, but in the last game I played (gaspy's transformers one!) town won by doggedly chasing some scummy d1 plays. I figure it's worth checking out further, and voting for me for doing so seems odd.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Asphyxious posted:

Right so what's the worm thing then?

mind worms are the barbarians of SMAC.

it's just fluff.

mechanically it might mean the possessor is protected in some way? either from the citizens (lynchings) or worms/enemies (night kills)

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Good morning centurions.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Mithranderp posted:

Good morning centurions.

Spartans?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Oh! Centarians

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Tirade posted:

It wasn't Beet's post that made me vote for gaspy, it was gaspy's poo poo answer to my question. He ignored the fact that he potentially stuffed up Kommando's project, and hand waved the dodginess away by doing his usual supergenius routine.

I'm not gonna claim that I'm certain gaspy is scum, but in the last game I played (gaspy's transformers one!) town won by doggedly chasing some scummy d1 plays. I figure it's worth checking out further, and voting for me for doing so seems odd.

I thought my answer was pretty straightforward.

I mean for me, anyway.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Centauri

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Kleedrac posted:

##vote Tirade

I antagonise gaspy every game I play, just as he does to me , but beyond that gaspy does this 'i'm the smartest person in the room' routine every game, even stating he know's who is scum but wont go into detail about who or why and then he invariably ends up dead and we never find out wtf he was on about. Hence my smarmy post. I thought TOML would call him on it again, as he has in the past but this time he's not interested.

I don't have a really strong feeling about gaspy atm because he's defaulting to type, that said I'm not super convinced about tirade either, this feels sorta forced and gaspy's behaviour is more suspicious than tirade calling him on it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Asphyxious posted:

yeah i'm usually against this stuff and the mind worms is def fluff, but each secret project had a definitive purpose in game and it's easy to draw some conclusion as to what. do we make judgements on that alone? hell no. never. ignore if need be, smac nerds are gonna nerd.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

Bifauxnen posted:

Man you people who actually go out and stuff are weird, I was still sitting around at home for Important Mafia Business even though last night was my birthday!

(but it was a very nice birthday, I ate a whole bunch of black forest cake and got a nice present :buddy:)

Well, it's tricky. This has kind of has been normal behavior for Gaspy before, trying to look a little scummy so the scum think it's handy to keep him around instead of killing him off on night 1. He's been nightkilled very quickly in many games after latching on dangerously quick to an important scum. But I thought he was trying to branch out and change up his game a bit more recently? Incidentally, Gaspy this is exactly why even as town I have to worry about what you're up to. :cheeky: Not sure yet if I can get behind your quick push on Tirade though, it reminds me too much of my own classic "bait and look for scum framing me up" strategy that actually kind of sucked most of the time.

Happy Birthday Bif :)

I don't see hammering 2 hours before deadline to be scummy - not sure how that would save someone from a scum-team kill. But the Tirade post really feels scummy - if you have an issue with Aspy's play and quote that it'd be one thing - but Tirade quoted someone else's joking interpretation of Aspy's post seems suspicious to me and is something I've seen scum do in previous games.

Tirade posted:

Then why quote Beet's post with your vote? This post is far and away a better reason for a vote than quoting Beet. In fact I'd love to see Aspy respond to this post.

Matthew Beet posted:

I antagonise gaspy every game I play, just as he does to me , but beyond that gaspy does this 'i'm the smartest person in the room' routine every game, even stating he know's who is scum but wont go into detail about who or why and then he invariably ends up dead and we never find out wtf he was on about. Hence my smarmy post. I thought TOML would call him on it again, as he has in the past but this time he's not interested.

I don't have a really strong feeling about gaspy atm because he's defaulting to type, that said I'm not super convinced about tirade either, this feels sorta forced and gaspy's behaviour is more suspicious than tirade calling him on it.

Fair enough :) I mentioned several times that it seemed like a joke that may-or-may-not have had malicious intent - it was funny for what it's worth.

--------------

I'm feeling better about Tirade after his last post but I'm looking forward to Tirade & Aspy having some discussion.
##Unvote

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Lock them in the cyberbroom closet until they kiss/kill each other imo

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Kleedrac posted:

Fair enough :) I mentioned several times that it seemed like a joke that may-or-may-not have had malicious intent - it was funny for what it's worth.

He has.

Asphyxious posted:

I thought my answer was pretty straightforward.

I mean for me, anyway.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Where is MaliciousOnion? I know it's his first mafia game (or second if you count one night werewolf) but being this quiet isn't very helpful for town. Don't be afraid, we won't bite...well, maybe beet will, but he won't bite much

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Quoted the wrong thing there.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
I'll be at work today till about 5-6ish, so I won't be able to follow along.

--

I really liked being able to tame packs of roving barbarians in Civ and train them up into killing machines so I'm glad they kept that feature for Alpha Centauri.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

For what it's worth I'm still putting good odds on tirade being scum. The straight off the bat shade throw and YEAH LETS GET HIM follow up is just such a well worn scum approach at this point.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Zetsubou-san posted:

I'll be at work today till about 5-6ish, so I won't be able to follow along.

--

I really liked being able to tame packs of roving barbarians in Civ and train them up into killing machines so I'm glad they kept that feature for Alpha Centauri.

"Tame"

"Packs of barbarians"
Check this imperialist dog

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Kleedrac posted:

Then why quote Beet's post with your vote? This post is far and away a better reason for a vote than quoting Beet. In fact I'd love to see Aspy respond to this post.

It was supposed to be me agreeing with Beet's assessment of gaspy's response, i.e. that it was pretty worthless. I'll try to be clearer in the future.

Part of it is just that auspol has a lot of history of playing games together, and so there's assumed knowledge about how various people play. Gaspy has cultivated this mad genius persona where he plays his own game through linguistic forensics and data collection, which is interesting to watch but also gets a bit old particularly when he uses it as cover for doing suspicious things.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Asphyxious posted:

Quoted the wrong thing there.

yeah oops. I'm sure us dunces can figure it out with the crumbs dropped from your table.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Tirade posted:

It was supposed to be me agreeing with Beet's assessment of gaspy's response, i.e. that it was pretty worthless. I'll try to be clearer in the future.

Part of it is just that auspol has a lot of history of playing games together, and so there's assumed knowledge about how various people play. Gaspy has cultivated this mad genius persona where he plays his own game through linguistic forensics and data collection, which is interesting to watch but also gets a bit old particularly when he uses it as cover for doing suspicious things.

I dropped the forensics stuff games ago, but I'm always interested in trying new approaches. The reoccurring key is to keep looking juuuuust scummy enough, and the best thing is that saying "I'm trying to look scummy" looks scummy so I can be truthful to town AND still lull scum into a false sense of security.

Matthew Beet posted:

yeah oops. I'm sure us dunces can figure it out with the crumbs dropped from your table.

Just trying to be helpful. Clarity is key, except when I'm doing it and then it's a cunning ruse.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I'm off to uni, but I'll be back at around 3 and then I'll see if I can put together a decent analysis effortpost :)

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Kleedrac posted:

Happy Birthday Bif :)

I don't see hammering 2 hours before deadline to be scummy - not sure how that would save someone from a scum-team kill. But the Tirade post really feels scummy - if you have an issue with Aspy's play and quote that it'd be one thing - but Tirade quoted someone else's joking interpretation of Aspy's post seems suspicious to me and is something I've seen scum do in previous games.

--------------

I'm feeling better about Tirade after his last post but I'm looking forward to Tirade & Aspy having some discussion.
##Unvote

aspy

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Controversial opinion: deliberately looking scummy is not a pro-town play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Asphyxious posted:

I dropped the forensics stuff games ago, but I'm always interested in trying new approaches. The reoccurring key is to keep looking juuuuust scummy enough, and the best thing is that saying "I'm trying to look scummy" looks scummy so I can be truthful to town AND still lull scum into a false sense of security.

Just trying to be helpful. Clarity is key, except when I'm doing it and then it's a cunning ruse.

Yeah, but it throws the town off and irritates people.

• Locked thread