Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ayn rand hand job posted:

Origin had the best story of the 3 :shrug:

It had the best setpieces. There's a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yaos posted:

Why do they bother having other characters to play? Nobody gets a Batman game and then doesn't want to play as Batman. It's like getting a TMNT game and not playing as Raph.

I'm constantly disappointed you can't play as most of the side characters outside of the challenge rooms. It's me, I'm the guy who'd replay through all of Arkham City as Nightwing just for the variety.

But what I really want is the ability to reskin Batman on my first playthrough so he looks like a good version of Batman instead of the Arkham version.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I kinda dig the overdesigned power armor Batman. I mean the guy goes for hours fighting ruffians armed with all sorts of weapons and supervillains with super weapons. It makes sense he needs all the upgrades he can get.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Assault on Arkham was one of the worst movies I've ever had the displeasure of watching so I would be very surprised for Rocksteady to take it as canon.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I love Batman animated movies and Assault on Arkham was pretty bad. It's still worth watching just to kinda see how bad it is. Let's just say there's a sex scene between Deadshot and Harley. Also Batman personally witnesses like a dozen murders of police personnel and does not attempt to intervene. But! It's got Kevin Conroy. It's also cool to see a Batman movie from the perspective of someone other than Batman. From their perspective, they're just doing crimes and poo poo and then Batman just suddenly appears and starts wrecking them. They did a good job of making Batman seem a little un-hinged, instead of in complete control like in most portrayals.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CuwiKhons posted:

Assault on Arkham was one of the worst movies I've ever had the displeasure of watching so I would be very surprised for Rocksteady to take it as canon.

My guess is they are forced to, if it comes out of WB and has the arkham tag on it, its probably canon. It was to boring as poo poo and it was kind of edgy i hate. Arkham always edgy, but it was never overt. apart from all the catwoman, harley "controversy" but it seems knight is handling those better and i dont feel like seeing the thread fight about it again. I guess i was surprised by the amount of violence and sex in the movie. wasn't offended by it, it just felt dumb.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

My guess is they are forced to, if it comes out of WB and has the arkham tag on it, its probably canon. It was to boring as poo poo and it was kind of edgy i hate. Arkham always edgy, but it was never overt. apart from all the catwoman, harley "controversy" but it seems knight is handling those better and i dont feel like seeing the thread fight about it again. I guess i was surprised by the amount of violence and sex in the movie. wasn't offended by it, it just felt dumb.

I don't see how they could be forced to. They don't have to explicitly contradict it just to be contrary but they also don't have to reference it at all. It's not like it's relevant to anything in the games. It takes place before Asylum, has a nonsensical plot, and none of the characters involved in the movie who have been in the games did anything of note in the movie that might need to be brought up.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Son of Batman was worse than Assault on Arkham, if only because it managed to have some of of the lowest quality animation in a DC animated film up until that point. It's writing wasn't exactly better either. Arkham was at least decent, visually. The biggest downfall of Arkham was that it tried way too hard to be edgy. Like the writers of City thought they hadn't gone far enough or something.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
If I pre-order the bundle with a PS4 (because I still don't have one and if I'm going to get one, it might as well be Bat flavored), do I get the pre-order bonuses from GS?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ToastyPotato posted:

Son of Batman was worse than Assault on Arkham, if only because it managed to have some of of the lowest quality animation in a DC animated film up until that point. It's writing wasn't exactly better either.

and then there was the sequel to Son of Batman where Batman went around blowing people into wet chunks with explosives

edit: blowing people up I mean. otherwise it'd be a completely different movie

CharlestonJew fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 18, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

CharlestonJew posted:

and then there was the sequel to Son of Batman where Batman went around blowing people into wet chunks with explosives

I didn't even bother with Batman vs. Robin. Everything post Flashpoint has been pretty dire. Unless DKR was after Flashpoint, that was ok (because it was an adaptation of a good comic.) Throne of Atlantis was pretty mediocre at its best. Kind of amazing how much of a catastrophic the dip in quality has been since they moved to adapting new 52 stuff, which is a shame, because stuff like the Amazo virus story and Forever Evil might have actually been halfway decent if they put SOME effort into the damned things. Maybe with Convergence basically stating "everything that once was, has always been", they can get back to adapting classic story lines.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CharlestonJew posted:

Those people were zombies tho.

Movie was pretty cool actually.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

So is can you run it retarded or will a 7800 series card not run the new batman? I can get GTA v running in high...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of performance, have they said anything about the framerate for Arkham Knight on XBone/PS4? I didn't play the original three on console so I don't know if they 60fps or what.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Pirate Jet posted:

It had the best setpieces. There's a difference.

Nah, I honestly think it had the best story. Batman undergoes character growth, things develop, that sort of thing. Arkham Asylum's plot was very low-key, which wasn't bad, but the plotting was pretty generic "I'm gonna stop you, bad guy". Meanwhile, City's plot was just so much poo poo crammed together that all of it suffered, and it felt less like a story and more like a villain slideshow, taking you from one bad guy to the next.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asylum is basically "A day in the life of Batman." City is a little bit more but the bulk of things happens at the very very end of the game so we don't really get to see Batman's response.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

Nah, I honestly think it had the best story. Batman undergoes character growth, things develop, that sort of thing. Arkham Asylum's plot was very low-key, which wasn't bad, but the plotting was pretty generic "I'm gonna stop you, bad guy". Meanwhile, City's plot was just so much poo poo crammed together that all of it suffered, and it felt less like a story and more like a villain slideshow, taking you from one bad guy to the next.

I agree with this. While it may not have been the most innovative game in the world, I actually would really like Origins if it didn't have so many performance issues and glitches.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Most Batman games are $1.70 each @ Nuuvem right now: http://www.nuuvem.com.br/promo/warner-esmaga

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Joe Man posted:

Most Batman games are $1.70 each @ Nuuvem right now: http://www.nuuvem.com.br/promo/warner-esmaga

Are these US versions?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Are these US versions?

If it doesn't say in bright red letters "REGION LOCKED" on the lefthand column, then yes. Use Chrome, Hola Better Internet plug-in, set region to Argentina, checkout with PayPal.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ah. AC isn't available to me. AA is, though. Might do it. Kinda have a feeling we are going to get a sale in the next couple weeks in anticipation of AK, though.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Ah. AC isn't available to me. AA is, though. Might do it. Kinda have a feeling we are going to get a sale in the next couple weeks in anticipation of AK, though.

Looking at the page, AC isn't region-locked: http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/939-batman-arkham-city-game-of-the-year-edition

You're just hitting a checkout lock. As stated, you can get literally anything on the site that's not REGION LOCKED by using Hola Better Internet and setting your region to Argentina. The Steam keys are region-free.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Joe Man posted:

Looking at the page, AC isn't region-locked: http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/939-batman-arkham-city-game-of-the-year-edition

You're just hitting a checkout lock. As stated, you can get literally anything on the site that's not REGION LOCKED by using Hola Better Internet and setting your region to Argentina. The Steam keys are region-free.

Ok. I'll try it on a diff computer. I don't want to infect this one w/ chrome.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
$3.41 for both games. Thanks for the heads up.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn-twZm_wEY

Ehhh... You know what they say about trailers with NIN music.

e: fuckin' youtube linkin'

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 21, 2015

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

That it's hard to link them correctly?

Also this is a legit terrible trailer.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 21, 2015

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Yes, fight them all by yourself! Is that a Knife in your lungs? nevermind that poo poo! BE FEARRRED

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
That's what they went with? Is this edgy advertising to 15 years ago? What is this? Nothing in this commercial makes me want JUSTICE.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Beeez posted:

I agree with this. While it may not have been the most innovative game in the world, I actually would really like Origins if it didn't have so many performance issues and glitches.

And an attempt to make changes to the combat/upgrade system that tried so hard to be different it actually made the game worse. (I'm look at you, Electrogloves)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CuwiKhons posted:

That it's hard to link them correctly?

Also this is a legit terrible trailer.

Except for the athlete, those guys all died.

Also, no females allowed.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Well I guess that's one way to use The Wretched.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Shockeh posted:

And an attempt to make changes to the combat/upgrade system that tried so hard to be different it actually made the game worse. (I'm look at you, Electrogloves)

The electrogloves may have made things too easy if you used them all the time, but my biggest problem combat-wise was that freeflow didn't seem to flow all that well. It was clunky and easy to lose your combo.

redbackground posted:

Except for the athlete, those guys all died.

Also, no females allowed.

It's bone-chilling when you notice just how few commercials pass the Bechdel Test.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Beeez posted:

It's bone-chilling when you notice just how few commercials pass the Bechdel Test.

Every single maxi-pad commercial.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Bechdel test nothing, there's not a single woman in that commercial except for the one in the burning building.

It doesn't matter though, all those dudes are as good as dead thanks to Rocksteady encouraging them to get their Batman on with actual muggers. Way to encourage people to get knifed.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
There's also countless examples of Batman stopping (and/or beating the poo poo out out of) vigilantes trying to emulate him who aren't good enough since they'll only end up killed or killing someone. Like Arkham Knight :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hey if you guys want more mutilated women in adverts that's your prerogative.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
At least the guy on the subway had a gang to back him up.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

Hey if you guys want more mutilated women in adverts that's your prerogative.
Easy fix--the athlete easily could have been a female.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
It's clearly not saying "actually do this poo poo in real life", guys.

Phylodox posted:

Every single maxi-pad commercial.

And why aren't there any men in maxi-pad commercials?! That's reverse sexism, which doesn't exist, and thus breaks the laws of physics! Why are we letting literally physics-defying sexists literally tell us what products to buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think his point is that the bechdel test is a pretty goofy way of defining what is sexist and what isn't nowadays. The advert's goofy no matter what but that's probably the weirdest angle to criticise it from.

• Locked thread