Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bacter posted:

I want to point out that the motorcycle wheelie sections are 100% accurate. Sure, I can count the number of times somebody flew by me doing a wheelie at some ungodly speed on the Loop on one hand, a few other motorized cycles screaming close behind him, but it takes all the fingers on that hand.

The last time I was in Chicago was over a decade ago, but one of my enduring memories is driving from one part of the city to another and watching two cars weaving in and out of traffic playing follow the leader about 15-20 MPH faster than anyone else was doing. This was during busy traffic too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Roaper posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Smile-Fire-Emblem-Awakening/dp/B00DLTQH54

Couple other places as well. Is Tharja the canon waifu for Aiden Pearce shipping?

:retrogames:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Going back to the skill system and how it's bad. The dumbest thing is how 2/3s of the skills are locked behind one mission.

Now most games that do such things do it to keep the difficulty higher longer (like Far Cry 3-4) or to ease the player into systems.

Watch Dogs does none of that. It's an arbitrary lock that vanishes only 4-6 story missions in.

Edit: oh and I think one or two are locked behind side activities for no logical reason as well.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 19, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Saints Row 2 did it right. Oh, you completed 6 levels of insurance fraud? Infinite sprint. Jumped out of an airplane and landed on the roof of a car? No fall damage. Flew an airplane through a whole bunch of tight spaces? You now own a flamethrower.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Great Joe posted:

Saints Row 2 did it right. Oh, you completed 6 levels of insurance fraud? Infinite sprint. Jumped out of an airplane and landed on the roof of a car? No fall damage. Flew an airplane through a whole bunch of tight spaces? You now own a flamethrower.

Yes. This is the kind of thing I like.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Great Joe posted:

And then Saints Row 4 made it incredibly boring to play by giving you ALL THE SUPERPOWERS YOU COULD EVER WANT in the first two hours of the game and then I'm like :effort:

I mean I didn't have to work for any of that and made the game way too easy so I got bored like hell and stopped playing after a week.

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

FinalGamer posted:

And then Saints Row 4 made it incredibly boring to play by giving you ALL THE SUPERPOWERS YOU COULD EVER WANT in the first two hours of the game and then I'm like :effort:

I mean I didn't have to work for any of that and made the game way too easy so I got bored like hell and stopped playing after a week.

I agree with you. From a technical (or quasi-objective) standpoint, Saints Row 3/4 are really good games that do an open world almost perfectly.

But I got bored quicker than I should have and stopped playing after I felt I have gotten all the fun out of the game.
(It might not have helped that you can totally use the pistol as a long range sniper rifle with almost no drawbacks.)

I really wish they would release a good PC port of Saints Row 2. It is just so terrible.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

Opiomorphone posted:

I agree with you. From a technical (or quasi-objective) standpoint, Saints Row 3/4 are really good games that do an open world almost perfectly.

But I got bored quicker than I should have and stopped playing after I felt I have gotten all the fun out of the game.
(It might not have helped that you can totally use the pistol as a long range sniper rifle with almost no drawbacks.)

I really wish they would release a good PC port of Saints Row 2. It is just so terrible.

With patches it's not that bad anymore.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Opiomorphone posted:

Got a GOG edition of 2 (as I have finished Third, IV, and Gat out of Hell) and can't finish the first racing mission due to the controls.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Ted_Haggard posted:

Did they at least fix the blue-collar jobs and make the AI less aggressive in them? Because holy poo poo those were impossible to do past level 5.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Great Joe posted:

The later Saints Row did it better. You had to grind out so many side missions in 2 to get anything and you no idea what it was, and they ranged from super useful to barely, that I stopped giving a poo poo.

HardHead
Nov 4, 2009

Bouncer, Hey bouncer.

Great Joe posted:

It's tragic that they scrapped the perfect system and replaced it with the lovely SR 3 one, where you had to grind for both xp to unlock the upgrades and cash to buy them.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I look forward to the first time Chip attempts to drive on grass or anything that's not the road

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

Ted_Haggard posted:

I remember I heard something like that quite a while ago, (along with some mods to make the game playable) but I could never get them to work properly and it still just worked like poo poo. I tried for quite a while, because the bits I have seen from my friends, and the small amount I played on the computer, I really quite enjoyed it (apart from the controls on the PC, they are unplayably bad.)

How is it on the PS3? I know it works great on the Xbox 360, but I generally like playing games on my PC as preference.

Samizdata posted:

can't finish the first racing mission due to the controls.
That was where I quit as well.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Shadow of Mordor had an interesting take on the "double unlock" system for its skills. New tiers would open up, but only if you either died repeatedly to get a smidgeon of Power, killed Orc captains or got involved in events that had something to do with Orc captains. In other words, "get used to the Nemesis system, chump."

Though a couple of skills were tied to the story missions but mostly just the basics.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Opiomorphone posted:

I remember I heard something like that quite a while ago, (along with some mods to make the game playable) but I could never get them to work properly and it still just worked like poo poo. I tried for quite a while, because the bits I have seen from my friends, and the small amount I played on the computer, I really quite enjoyed it (apart from the controls on the PC, they are unplayably bad.)

How is it on the PS3? I know it works great on the Xbox 360, but I generally like playing games on my PC as preference.

That was where I quit as well.

I think it runs alright, but unless you've got LAN going, don't expect online play because the PS3 version used the old gamespy servers too.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
What the gently caress are you wierdos talking about grinding anyting in Saints Row? The only dumb thing 2 had was 'respect' which stopped you from playing story missions nonstop because you had to bang out a couple of sidemissions, which would be awful if it weren't for the fact that the side missions were all pretty much fun as balls. The only really bad part was that it could really break the flow of missions, but there's also nothing stopping you from loving off between missions to begin with.

Even in Sr3/4 where you had to earn unlocks and choose which ones to buy doesn't contain any real grinding because XP and money are launched at you from high orbit. SRIV just made the mistake giving you a crazy amount of useful super powers from the get go, and had to come up with silly justifications in various missions to take them away because otherwise they'd be a loving laughable joke.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You didn't have to do side missions, just car surf, jump out of helicopters, drive on the wrong side of the wrong, beat up people, etc. If you ever ran out of Respect somehow in SR2 you just weren't being awesome enough at all times.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

EmmyOk posted:

I look forward to the first time Chip attempts to drive on grass or anything that's not the road
I wouldn't worry about it, he already knows motorcycles and garbage trucks are the magical solution to everything in Watch Dogs

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Samizdata posted:

Got a GOG edition of 2 (as I have finished Third, IV, and Gat out of Hell) and can't finish the first racing mission due to the controls.

I don't know if it's a problem on Win8, but if you played it on Vista or 7, the game ran at ~120% speed, making everything a bit faster and harder to control. I also don't know if the community patched that problem out, because I finished the game before Gentlemen of the Row was released. I just used CheatEngine to slow the game down to normal speed. That might be part of your problem.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Inco posted:

I don't know if it's a problem on Win8, but if you played it on Vista or 7, the game ran at ~120% speed, making everything a bit faster and harder to control. I also don't know if the community patched that problem out, because I finished the game before Gentlemen of the Row was released. I just used CheatEngine to slow the game down to normal speed. That might be part of your problem.

I am running it on 8.1. Any suggestion on CheatEngine and SR2?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

You didn't have to do side missions, just car surf, jump out of helicopters, drive on the wrong side of the wrong, beat up people, etc. If you ever ran out of Respect somehow in SR2 you just weren't being awesome enough at all times.

You say that like spraying house, people, and anything else you can hit with a stream of liquid poo poo isn't awesome.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Samizdata posted:

I am running it on 8.1. Any suggestion on CheatEngine and SR2?

Get the Gentlemen of the Row mod.

That should fix it all and add many cool things. Also made by goon and Volition employee Idol Ninja.

Mjolna
Oct 2, 2014

Gentlemen of the Row won't fix everything, the game is still buggy as poo poo and crashes a bunch. It will fix A LOT of it though, and make it way more stable.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wait, does that mean Idol Ninja and Chip work together at the same place?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait, does that mean Idol Ninja and Chip work together at the same place?

Does this mean Saints Row talk is still technically on-topic?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

King Vidiot posted:

Does this mean Saints Row talk is still technically on-topic?

Well, this game is boring as gently caress so why not talk about a good open world game where you play a psychopath?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

FillInTheBlank posted:

Get the Gentlemen of the Row mod.

That should fix it all and add many cool things. Also made by goon and Volition employee Idol Ninja.

I noted the goonhood in one of the loading screens where the "Get Out" frog was on a judge's shoulder. The controls seem a LITTLE better. (Please tell me there is a vehicle skill up.)

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!

Samizdata posted:

I noted the goonhood in one of the loading screens where the "Get Out" frog was on a judge's shoulder. The controls seem a LITTLE better. (Please tell me there is a vehicle skill up.)
Nope. Driving controls are just really bad with keyboard. Hope you have a controller.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

SpookyLizard posted:

You say that like spraying house, people, and anything else you can hit with a stream of liquid poo poo isn't awesome.

Don't remind him that sidequest exists, he probably forgot it intentionally to stop the pain over it never getting used again. Unless it's going to come back in Saints Row 5 which it loving better. :colbert:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Don't remind him that sidequest exists, he probably forgot it intentionally to stop the pain over it never getting used again. Unless it's going to come back in Saints Row 5 which it loving better. :colbert:

with the next-gen comes more advanced dynamic poop effects.
now with smellovison

Roaper
Mar 23, 2012

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

OneDeadman posted:

with the next-gen comes more advanced dynamic poop effects.
now with smellovison

The future is now.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

HardHead posted:

It's tragic that they scrapped the perfect system and replaced it with the lovely SR 3 one, where you had to grind for both xp to unlock the upgrades and cash to buy them.

Cash I can totally agree with (especially once you get around to upgrading weaponry), but to be fair In both 3 and 4 you could easily get more than enough XP to get max level just by doing main storyline missions (and some challenges as well). I believe I got maxed in 4 like halfway into doing extra side-missions right before the final boss, and while in 3 I got maxed out after doing the alternate ending. There, it's a little more understandable because maxed out in 3 makes you virtually indestructable to basically anything except cars hitting you.

necroid
May 14, 2009

baldurk posted:

Here's the next part in my graphics series, this time talking about how to squeeze the most out of limited resources by avoiding whatever wasted time, and why certain things like reflections or shadows can be impractical.

Graphics in Plain Language

Part 3 - What not to draw

I do CG work and these are all very interesting to read, a good reminder of all the work that goes into games and movies. It's always fun to poo poo on horribly managed productions like Watch Dogs or Star Citizen, although it's a lot less fun if you also think of the people doing the real work behind the scenes.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

drive on the wrong side of the wrong
This is the name of my new trip-hop single.

Roaper
Mar 23, 2012

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Great Joe posted:

This is the name of my new trip-hop single.

What's the album name?

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

necroid posted:

I do CG work and these are all very interesting to read, a good reminder of all the work that goes into games and movies. It's always fun to poo poo on horribly managed productions like Watch Dogs or Star Citizen, although it's a lot less fun if you also think of the people doing the real work behind the scenes.

I feel that Watch Dogs deserves extra hate, because they promised pie in the sky, supposedly didn't deliver on it for release, but left in the demo graphics code inside the PC game but inaccessible as an option. That's like 3 different sequential fuckups, almost none of which were the fault of the artists or programmers.

It would be like taking the mode 7 graphics out of Yoshi's Island, but leaving the chip in the cartridge, just so a gameboy version wouldn't look as bad in comparison.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Except that the game isn't playable at all with those options on (gameplay-wise, not performance.)

Could they have worked with some (heavy) tweaking? Probably, but it's obvious Ubisoft was concentrating on the console versions more since they tend to have much higher profit margins.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
Oh, I didn't know they weren't functionally usable if you turned them on. Nevermind then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I thought someone released a mod to make them work?

• Locked thread