Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Even if Henselt doesn't die, even if he wins at Vergen, he's still exhausted himself and his forces fighting rebels, dragons, and curses. The north was only able to stand against Nilfgaard last time because the kingdoms banded together (and luck). No way in hell Kaedwen could stand up to Nilfgaard with a broken Temeria and Aedern. Geralt only can ever really help his friends, he's not a geopolitical power player.

The futility of Witcher 2's larger plot kind of pissed me off when I first played it, but looking back, it's impressive just how thoroughly Nilfgaard and Letho pinched the North. No matter how many alliances you forge, Letho still knocked off half a nation before Geralt even knew he existed, and from the moment the kingslaying campaign started, it was guaranteed that either the vast majority of the North or their strongest ally, the mages, would topple.

This is why my Roche playthrough amounted to "stab them all and let God sort them out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, how many people (end of the first area spoilers)bowed to the emperor?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Please tell me someone rendered the giant flaming letters made of "beasts" for that alchemists burning at the stake. :allears:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

So, how many people (end of the first area spoilers)bowed to the emperor?

I did but I never played through Witcher 1 or 2 so wasn't aware of the backstory. Playthrough two he can get bent.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sheep posted:

I did but I never played through Witcher 1 or 2 so wasn't aware of the backstory. Playthrough two he can get bent.

The chamberlain will also get bent in a bad way if you don't though :sigh:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think there's any storage, but I'm not positive.

As an aside, I'd kidna want to have an option to make the inventory system similar to Pillars of Eternity.

When I'm out going witching and poo poo I want to be going around completing quests and killing foes until I decide to head back to town or the story takes me there. It's somewhat jarring to be going on a quest to have it's flow disrupted by the "overburdened" state appearing which requires you to stop what you're doing and head back to a merchant or to dump something on the floor. I dislike it as it means that the player is forced to halt their adventure when the game tells them to, rather than when they choose to do so.

In comparison, for PoE you could just keep trucking and hold onto everything until you decide to do something about it, be it selling, crafting or using.

Limited inventory systems are fine and make sense in games like in STALKER or Fallout where looting, supply management and raiding is a part of the theme of the setting and the game mechanics, but I've never felt that is the case for the Witcher, which has more of a dramatic and storytelling focus.

This is literally the only nitpick I've had about the game sofar, as you can tell, I am grasping at straws here :allears:

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Jaroslav posted:

Odd. For me, the game has run seamlessly and i have not encountered a single bug.

I ran into persistent freezing during dialogs/cutscenes, but disabling depth of field completely eliminated it. Strangely, Googling for the issue turned up various forums posts for the previous games documenting the exact same issue and solution. Very weird that it keeps cropping up.

Other than that and a single crash when doing... something... in the inventory screen I've been bug/glitch/crash free (on PC).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

fivegears4reverse posted:

The chamberlain is an rear end in a top hat who can't shut the gently caress up about "Northern barbarism" so he can get screwed imo.

Dollas posted:

Should I buy this game? Y/N
Do you like good games? If so, Y.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
Should I buy this game? Y/N

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Which is one of the things intended by the quest. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that the Nilfgaardians are the good guys, some of them may be nice, some of them may be committed to mercy and fair rule, but they are all part of a system that is currently engaged in a war of conquest that has resulted in grotesque human suffering. Quartermaster Eggebacht isn't an evil guy who loves to kill prisoners of war, he's a guy who's trying to do his job as best he can. His job just happens to be oiling a war-machine.

This is why I loved doing the Baron's questline; it felt pretty obvious what was going on, and then it just kept going and going and then you ended up with that conclusion and it felt all :3:

There are a large number of moments in this game that can just go get hosed.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Just wait until they found out I looted the entire castle while his back was turned.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Broken Cog posted:

The chamberlain is an rear end in a top hat who can't shut the gently caress up about "Northern barbarism" so he can get screwed imo.

To be fair he is right about Northern barbarism. Assassination of King Foltest, second best day of my life, gently caress the North imo

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

What are these concoction recipes I keep picking up? They look like potions that give you incredibly awesome things for a long period of time, but with high toxicity so you can't use anything else.

Am I right?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

WMain00 posted:

What are these concoction recipes I keep picking up? They look like potions that give you incredibly awesome things for a long period of time, but with high toxicity so you can't use anything else.

Am I right?

Powerful effects, expensive and rare ingredients, one use only - no refills, you have to make them from scratch each time. They're basically for difficult fights where you need a little bit extra to get through.

edit:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I finally did it. 11 hours in and I finally got my first sex scene. Witcher 1 and 2 started with sex scenes, CDProjekt is slipping. I also bumped into Letho.
Sounds like an interesting sex scene.

gently caress the North imo
Yep.

Also was Ciri ever mentioned in the first two games? I feel she is like The Key in Buffy. Hello sister daughter! :v:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
At what point do you get the horse armor DLC?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Are there any crafting paths I should be heading for early game? If this is anything like Witcher 2 materials are expensive enough that you don't want to craft the wrong thing, then craft the right thing, then be left with no money or resources for the next act.

edit: Yeah no matter how you feel about Nilfgaard, the North's political and economic system isn't worth defending too hard. You meet a lot of rulers in Witcher 2 and the sister-loving weirdo fighting a war with his babby momma is the most moral and likable one of them.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 20, 2015

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

What does armor piercing actually do?

If it says 20 Armor Piercing, does it add 20 damage if the opponent has 20 armor? Or is it a bit more obscure than that?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

ymgve posted:

Speaking of freezing, does it happen on consoles too? Or is it a PC specific problem?

Only "fix" that's worked so far is quicksaving every time before I open the inventory (And quicksaving a lot in general) so you don't lose too much time when it freezes.

(I think most suggested fixes are basically placebo - the issue happens randomly, and when someone changes a setting and it doesn't crash for hours due to pure luck, they declare whatever they did the "solution")

I can tell you that switching between full screen and borderless doesn't fix it. I haven't ruled out turning off Vsync yet, but that's because the tearing was so bad, I'd rather be stuck with the inventory freeze bug.

Seems to be a widespread issue, but you either get it all the time or not at all. I've developed a habit of hitting F5 before clicking on inventory too.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

turtlecrunch posted:

Also was Ciri ever mentioned in the first two games? I feel she is like The Key in Buffy. Hello sister daughter! :v:

A Cirilla was mentioned by an inn keeper in the first game. Other than that, no mention of her in the games.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah no matter how you feel about Nilfgaard, the North's political and economic system isn't worth defending too hard. You meet a lot of rulers in Witcher 2 and the sister-loving weirdo fighting a war with his babby momma is the most moral and likable one of them.

I'd really like it at this point that if the conjuration happens again we just move the peasantry to a completely different planet and leave all the rich and powerful to eat themselves.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The peasants come off as superstitious idiots who hate nonhumans like crazy.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

zen death robot posted:

It's the middle ages poo poo was just kind of like that

Eh, depends on the place and time period. The middle ages covers everything from about 500 through to 1500 (ish) bit of time to just say "poo poo sucks". Not least for the fact that you had a lot of different styles of rulership during that time.

I think you are thinking of the Soldiers my friend, because that's the only one I have encountered to act like that thus far. Besides acting out of ignorance and fear is understandable if unjustifiable. Acting because "I really hate this person" and/or "I can get rich of this" is dickish.

Falcon24
Sep 9, 2004
Some main story spoiler questions, specifically re: the Velen main questline and later when you first get to Novigrad:

In the sidequest to rescue the Bloody Baron's wife, is there any conceivable way to get a positive ending there? I got to the swamp village, the crones had turned his wife into a water hag, I found the right doll and broke the spell, but she still died and then the Baron hung himself in grief. It was implied that she was turned into a monster as punishment for letting the children escape which seems to only happen if you free the tree spirit. Is there a different outcome if you kill the spirit and go along with what the crones ask?

For Novigrad, is the game at all different if you choose a different ending for the Witcher 2? Radovid is apparently a huge prick and his witch hunters are just going around murdering sorceresses, and I seem to recall that the big pogrom against magic users at the end of the second game doesn't happen if you go to rescue Triss. I know this is the Witcher universe and everything sucks but it was really lovely to walk into Novigrad and see that nice sorceress lady from Loc Muinne get burned at the stake.

Anyway this game owns and is everything I ever wanted.

Falcon24 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 20, 2015

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
On PC is there a button I can press to exit completely out of inventory menus all the way? Using Escape just makes me go back one menu so sometimes I have to hammer it three or four times to get back to the game.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Yeah, I'm not sure what you think Geralt achieved in W2,the epilogue for both Roche and Iorveth paths was Nilfgaard crossing the Yaruga, their plot to destabilize the north having been accomplished. In Temeria the succession is, at best, deadlocked by nobles squabbling and in-fighting, regardless of the path you take. Kaedwen has either just lost their king or they have been humiliated in Vergen, their army shattered and demoralized. Regardless of what you do in W2, Temeria, Aedern, and Kaedwen are all basically broken, with both Nilfgaard and Redania using the chaos to strengthen themselves.

Um, not quite. One of the options is lifting Henselt's curse and he conquered the Pontar valley. Leaving Kaedwen stronger than ever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's not too unrealistic to posit that you need to be a low-down ruthless bastard to be a good ruler in feudal times. The only exception we've seen so far is Saskia, who has her own personal Godzilla button if pretty speeches fail.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Bit strange that the game has been hyped as open world when it isn't.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Did you guys know that kings do the fightin' and peasants do the dyin'

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

WastedJoker posted:

Bit strange that the game has been hyped as open world when it isn't.
What's your definition of open world?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sekenr posted:

Um, not quite. One of the options is lifting Henselt's curse and he conquered the Pontar valley. Leaving Kaedwen stronger than ever.

Bully for Henselt. There's still two deposed kingdoms out of four and, depending on how the Loc Muinne meeting goes, either no legitimate ruler for one of the collapsed kingdoms or an entire country full of dead mages. Nilfgaard's a unified empire that's been angling to roll over the North for a while now. Save for a freak meteor shower smashing half the battlefield flat, the North was going to get wrecked no matter what Geralt did.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Sekenr posted:

Stronger than ever, or overextended and surrounded by weak allies? I think the answer is clear.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

It's not too unrealistic to posit that you need to be a low-down ruthless bastard to be a good ruler in feudal times. The only exception we've seen so far is Saskia, who has her own personal Godzilla button if pretty speeches fail.

That I understand. The problem comes when it is pointless to do so. What does adding more land to an already vast patrimony get you? More loving headaches and work. It sets up Empires that inevitably collapse.

That and there is no attempt at reform that I see within the internal workings of either side. Usually one of the first things you do as Emperor or King is take the feet (and more than often, head) off of the first person who might undermine you. You seek support from areas outside of official channels (through stuff like ethnic minorties and weaker groups) to shore up your rule and you make it so that the law code is applicable to everyone across almost all levels. That way you have a stick to beat the nobility with.

The problem is I see no evidence of this, the only times that personal power has ever resulted in an Empire e.g. Alexander the Great, have ended with the rulers passing. I see no difference between the Emperor in this case.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Broken Cog posted:

What's your definition of open world?

Not requiring me to see a loading screen between areas?

It doesn't matter, I guess, but it's weird how much the open world-ness was advertised.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

havenwaters posted:

A Cirilla was mentioned by an inn keeper in the first game. Other than that, no mention of her in the games.

she got mentioned alot during flashbacks and stuff in witcher 2.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Open world to me means that I can wander around just about where ever I please and complete objectives in the order that I see fit for the most part. It means that exploration is heavily emphasized and that things like the main quest line is not on rails and can even be ignored to a degree like Elder Scrolls games. I have not played Witcher 3 yet but I am tempted to pick it up. I was not a fan of Witcher 1 or 2 beyond the story which was very good. Would most of you describe its world like this?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

WastedJoker posted:

It doesn't matter, I guess, but it's weird how much the open world-ness was advertised.
So every Bethesda game ever wasn't open world to you? :psyduck:

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

WastedJoker posted:

It is a collection of open worlds.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Xavier434 posted:

Open world to me means that I can wander around just about where ever I please and complete objectives in the order that I see fit for the most part. It means that exploration is heavily emphasized and that things like the main quest line is not on rails and can even be ignored to a degree like Elder Scrolls games. I have not played Witcher 3 yet but I am tempted to pick it up. Would most of you describe it like this?

I get bored easily and I seriously considered taking off work to play this gmae

It's a very good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Stronger than ever, or overextended and surrounded by weak allies? I think the answer is clear.

Regardless, everything you've done in W2 means jack poo poo even cosmetically, all I'm saying. I don't think CDPR handled it very well - just wiped off the map every country you interacted with in W2.