Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Onscreen keyboard seems like a much easier choice.

My last work laptop was weird in that the alt key wouldn't register until i'd logged in, so I had to use the onscreen keyboard to hit ctrl+alt+del to login.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
re: 8.1 chat, is there a way to stop it from indexing/searching certain things? I never ever want to search the windows app store or the web, ever.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Gyshall posted:

re: 8.1 chat, is there a way to stop it from indexing/searching certain things? I never ever want to search the windows app store or the web, ever.

PC Settings > Search and Apps > Search > Untoggle "Use Bing..."

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got a problem that I'm not sure how to solve. I have one unique user who has files that are sensitive to a degree higher than our normal data, I guess it's stuff related to lawsuits or something.

As a result, he wants a separate storage solution from our network shares.

I've been looking at this guy:
https://iosafe.com/products-2baynas-overview

Does this seem like a sorta decent solution? Is there some huge problem that I'll be kicking myself for a year later?

Would he be OK with a LUN that's presented to only a static IP that his machine gets (either on the machine itself or via DHCP) on its own adapater, heavily ACL'd down on the switch? At least that way it gets the same high availability as network storage.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MJP posted:

Would he be OK with a LUN that's presented to only a static IP that his machine gets (either on the machine itself or via DHCP) on its own adapater, heavily ACL'd down on the switch? At least that way it gets the same high availability as network storage.

I don't think he likes that idea, but I've included it as an option for my manager.

Option A: Buy a NAS and maintain it
Option B: Remember that ludicrously expensive thing we bought from EMC, what if we use that?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Can someone explain to me what sharepoint is actually used for in big corporations, that is a good, productive, unique use?

I've recently been exposed to sharepoint and it has useless document tracking, a blog that nobody uses (and seems better served by actual blog or web software) and a discussion board that is about 1000x worse than phpBB or vBulletin. If anyone wants to share files they just use shared drives.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 6, 2016

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't think he likes that idea, but I've included it as an option for my manager.

Option A: Buy a NAS and maintain it
Option B: Remember that ludicrously expensive thing we bought from EMC, what if we use that?

Why would a separate NAS be any more secure? If it's on the network then it's being secured by whatever user or host permissions are put in place to manage access. Whether it's on the same box or another it's equally secure.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Methanar posted:

loving lol Microsoft licensing. I didn't even do anything productive today, I just sat in meetings and gave my opinion on requirements and numbers.

I was part of a discussion about overhauling our entire infrastructure and taking everything on 2003 to a nice modern virtualized system with 2012 r2.

- 1200 per 2012 license

- 63 per CAL. (lol)

- 15000 for VMware licensing

- 34000 for hardware

It's completely ridiculous to me how worthless money is. Almost $10, 000 in agreements and pricing changed with literally 100 seconds of conversation.

But you want a 5% raise? Better fight it loving tooth and nail.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Methanar posted:

loving lol Microsoft licensing. I didn't even do anything productive today, I just sat in meetings and gave my opinion on requirements and numbers.

I was part of a discussion about overhauling our entire infrastructure and taking everything on 2003 to a nice modern virtualized system with 2012 r2.

- 1200 per 2012 license

- 63 per CAL. (lol)

- 34000 for hardware

It's completely ridiculous to me how worthless money is. Almost $10, 000 in agreements and pricing changed with literally 100 seconds of conversation.

A huge part of that is that MSRP is designed with ridiculous, insulting bloat to the cost so the vendors can "negotiate down" and look like they're cutting their arm off to keep your business.

If you pay MSRP, or even 75% of MSRP, you're a chump.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

NippleFloss posted:

Why would a separate NAS be any more secure? If it's on the network then it's being secured by whatever user or host permissions are put in place to manage access. Whether it's on the same box or another it's equally secure.

I know a guy who saw the movie "Red Dawn" back in the 80's and took it to heart, he owns a lot of guns and is pretty evangelical about ownership too, because we'll need them if the Commies ever parachute into town.

My thinking is that if you're worried about paratroopers, our armed forces are probably going to be a million times more effective than some idiot shooting at the sky.

But the thing is, you can't see what NORAD is doing, but you can see the rifle on your wall.

As for the storage issue, this particular snowlake is sufficiently special that unless I can convince him that the mystery box in the server room is actually secure, he's going to be happier with it bolted to his desk.

GreenNight posted:

But you want a 5% raise? Better fight it loving tooth and nail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law_of_triviality

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

- 1200 per 2012 license

- 63 per CAL. (lol)

- 34000 for hardware

I just did this same thing! Only I got my way:

- $1200 for a 2012 Retail Boxed Copy license, which I can legally sell on eBay and have the license transfer when I'm done using it / want to upgrade.

- No CALs because I'm running on a workgroup, the only server item is a telecom program I got MS to confirm in writing doesn't need CALs, and our DHCP server is running on router. (If you need cals, NewEgg.com directly sells 5-packs for $149)

- Using KVM / OVirt instead of VMware

- Built the servers from individual used eBay parts, $2000 for two servers with similar specs to what CDW quoted me $30k for.

So effectively, everything I needed for around $3k, I just focus on redundant everything and backups up the rear end.

single-mode fiber posted:

Yeah, I have seen setups like that. Depending on cost, sometimes the PRI may be preferred for local calls than using SIP. You can pull this off with dial peers. Call will not persist if it's over SIP and you suffer a WAN outage.

Here's the weird part I found out. We pay $70k for our PRIs and minutes. But every single call we make is initiated through this company called InsideSales.com, where they allow our sales people to forge a caller ID so we have "local presence" (we look like we're in the area code of the people we cold-call so they are more likely to answer). So InsideSales is charging us, wait for it, $300k a year for essentially the functionality of custom area codes, with no other features we use. Best part is, their cloud-hosted services have failed on us once or twice, ending our calls. So even with the trouble of hooking up our PRIs we're still going over whatever VoIP handoff this other comapany is using anyways and getting buttfucked for it. I'm going to try strong-arming our PBX supplier into seeing if they can provide us this area code hack on the backend or make a bunch of Google Voice accounts or something, we're not getting our money's worth by a long shot.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

IAs for the storage issue, this particular snowlake is sufficiently special that unless I can convince him that the mystery box in the server room is actually secure, he's going to be happier with it bolted to his desk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law_of_triviality

Sure, but in that case don't buy a NAS. Just buy a cheap raid enclosure and connect it VIA USB or eSATA and be done with it.

Or buy a proper WORM solution that actually enforces data integrity.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Zero VGS posted:

- $1200 for a 2012 Retail Boxed Copy license, which I can legally sell on eBay and have the license transfer when I'm done using it / want to upgrade.

- No CALs because I'm running on a workgroup, the only server item is a telecom program I got MS to confirm in writing doesn't need CALs, and our DHCP server is running on router. (If you need cals, NewEgg.com directly sells 5-packs for $149)

- Built the servers from individual used eBay parts, $2000 for two servers with similar specs to what CDW quoted me $30k for.

So effectively, everything I needed for around $3k, I just focus on redundant everything and backups up the rear end.

i weep

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

SIP is 50% cheaper because it sounds terrible and will be not working most of the time.
Eh, I have to say you are just plain wrong. I have been using SIP for at least half of my incoming and well over half of my outgoing calls for years. Outside of a few instances of garbled voice due to other internet issues (I would say 3 in 3 years), the performance has been at least on par with our PRIs and probably better, for well UNDER half the price. Right now the only calls I am bringing in on a PRI are to our toll free numbers, which is primarily because I wanted to avoid any chance of a DTMF issue on our IVR. I'm sorry you have had some bad experiences, but I can say without a doubt that I have had an excellent experience with my SIP carriers and would not hesitate to recommend the service to anyone. Honestly the biggest problem has been the time lag required to port large blocks of numbers. I've been able to cancel at least 100 POTS lines and probably 5 PRIs and my monthly bill for SIP is less than $2k, every month. The PRIs alone cost more than that, and the POTS lines probably cost double that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you have SIP and you can tell the difference then something is wrong.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

pmchem posted:

Can someone explain to me what sharepoint is actually used for in big corporations, that is a good, productive, unique use?

I've recently been exposed to sharepoint and it has useless document tracking, a blog that nobody uses (and seems better served by actual blog or web software) and a discussion board that is about 1000x worse than phpBB or vBulletin. If anyone wants to share files they just use shared drives.

We have a few clients who use it mostly for the file versioning and all of the tools that integrate with it. If you are already using office you can get collaborative live editing, version history tracking, indexing, compliance with legal requirements, integrates with ad for intranet website, process management. At my last job creating a new account required uploading a SAAR to sharepoint and then having multiple people digitally sign it to track the whole process. Also I have seen automatically updating phone books based on active directory. Subsites for clients that keep track of all the deliverables so they are externally accessible. For doing any one task individually there is a smaller quicker product, but once you need to do many different things, or you want other features like compliance and auditing and SharePoint is going to be the best answer.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

tomapot posted:

There is a ton of free training and documentation for SharePoint out there if you search around Microsoft's website, TechNet, Channel 9, etc. If you live in around a major city there is usually a SharePoint User Group. There is also a Yammer network for O365 / SharePoint professionals. There used to be a SharePoint thread here in SH/SC but I think it died off, feel free to PM me if you have any questions and good luck.

Have you ever seen anything that gives recommendations on how to design an intranet? Contoso wants to use SharePoint and isn't sure how to create the layout.

Should the sales department be it's own Site Collection, a Sub-Site or possibly even it's document library?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The Fool posted:

The whole "hit the windows key and start typing" thing has been around since Vista. Even using that as your primary method of launching programs, it's still a jarring user experience to have your whole screen change when bringing up the menu.

Anyway, that's solved in 10 with the search box/launcher/cortana being on the taskbar.

It triggers my triggers when I see anyone using the start menu when you can simply type. It's not that hard just hit the windows key and you don't even need to finish as long as it's the first program that comes and is highlighted.

Press enter, blam! It's there!

go3 posted:

Search is nice if you know what you are looking for. Otherwise ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Agreed, the lack of any ability to quickly see what's installed is irritating. The whole "Metro" (It's not even called Metro anymore, MS got sued for it) concept sounds cool but isn't the same when put into practice, granted Windows 10 appears to be hell of a lot better.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Holy poo poo, I had no idea this was a thing... Is there anything that gives suggestions how to reduce this behavior?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tab8715 posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea this was a thing... Is there anything that gives suggestions how to reduce this behavior?

A good leader running poo poo.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

As for the storage issue, this particular snowlake is sufficiently special that unless I can convince him that the mystery box in the server room is actually secure, he's going to be happier with it bolted to his desk.

But the cleaning guy can pull the drives at night, which won't happen with hardware in a controlled environment. If he takes them home with him, he'll stop for a beer and someone will break into his car and steal his bag. There's no pluses to this at all.

Zero VGS posted:

I know we talked about this in the virt thread, but please don't run a production environment on ovirt to save money. We'll beat VMware on pricing for RHEV.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Tab8715 posted:

Have you ever seen anything that gives recommendations on how to design an intranet? Contoso wants to use SharePoint and isn't sure how to create the layout.

Should the sales department be it's own Site Collection, a Sub-Site or possibly even it's document library?

The answer is always "it depends." My recommendation would be to design your information architecture first. This is true of any intranet regardless of technology. If the departments are significant enough in size we use the Site Collection boundary.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

go3 posted:

i weep

Yeah, my initial reaction to that was not pride.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

One thing I like to do is take a Lean approach, where work-in-progress is limited, then tasks are prioritized by most important to least important. When meetings are held, there is no going over the allotted time. If someone has an idea for new work, it's added to the wishlist area of the product backlog where it's either prioritized or discarded by someone later. Items from the meeting agenda are reviewed in priority order. If we don't get to something before the meeting ends, it clearly wasn't important. The team quickly learns that they need to shut bikeshedding down as it happens or they won't get to talk about the things they came to the meeting for.

This is imperfect when dealing with introverts or marginalized people who aren't willing to speak up, of course, so whoever's running the meeting needs to know the team and understand when to personally step in as well.

GreenNight posted:

A good leader running poo poo.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 22, 2015

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

You consider this winning? You're winding up with a one-of-a-kind special snowflake production environment built on used parts. This will wind up being your baby 24x7x365 with no chance to pawn problems off on vendors, warranties, or maintenance agreements.

I hope your backups aren't also going to be kept on systems held together by prayers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Please just ignore Zero VGS he posts his dumb shoestring budgets poo poo in every thread and it's exhausting to read in a "goon in well" sort of way. Apparently the company he works for is a competitor to VMware or something but can't actually give him any sort of budget or let them use their hypervisor. Actually, maybe it's Citrix. That would explain a lot.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tomapot posted:

The answer is always "it depends." My recommendation would be to design your information architecture first. This is true of any intranet regardless of technology. If the departments are significant enough in size we use the Site Collection boundary.

This is key. Everything will grow from that seed. And to torture that metaphor, it can be an overgrown weed or a nicely manicured garden.

The O'Reilly book Understanding Context:Environment, Language, and Information Architecture is a good book to pick up on this topic.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 22, 2015

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

Please just ignore Zero VGS he posts his dumb shoestring budgets poo poo in every thread and it's exhausting to read in a "goon in well" sort of way. Apparently the company he works for is a competitor to VMware or something but can't actually give him any sort of budget or let them use their hypervisor. Actually, maybe it's Citrix. That would explain a lot.
You are the only version of IE that has ever made me smile.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also I'm pretty sure he's wrong about the CALs.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It was just a troll. It's a little disappointing to see it in one of the IT threads, usually we're pretty earnest and irony-free, but you all should be able to recognize it when you see it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Stripe, I'm picturing you in some sort of zen-like post-hypnosis Peter Gibbons trance, unable to care too much about anything. I am deeply jealous.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I think I need a vacation. I just sent this to my director when he asked if we are able to compete in a specific field.

quote:

Right now? Not a chance.

In the future? As long as the company decides to invest in our future and gives us the resources we need to become world class. So no.

And by resources I mean it in all senses from tools and servers to the vague euphemism upper management uses for people so they don’t feel bad when the the CFO lays them off in lieu of outsourcing to get a short-term bonus before hopping to the next company.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
God drat please post his reply.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
He wont be able to, his password wont work and the helpdesk will only say "talk to your manager"

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

flosofl posted:

I think I need a vacation. I just sent this to my director when he asked if we are able to compete in a specific field.

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Good for you.

I straight up told a PM and Director we aren't going forward with a completely new AD that we will dump our 2 existing ones into because we simply don't have the time or resources to do it with the current incident and project load. I flat out told them I am already pushed too far and if they want to stop all other project work and support for me, then sure I'll go along, but not otherwise. I've got serious burnout and I'm not just going to sit here and take more and more poo poo because ~~reasons~~. Meanwhile I am seriously looking for another job to get out of this hell hole.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sheep posted:

God drat please post his reply.

CaptainJuan posted:

He wont be able to, his password wont work and the helpdesk will only say "talk to your manager"

Not that bad, goons. We actually have a really good relationship and have a "no bullshit policy". It's not what I said, it's just I'm usually a bit more diplomatic. That's a sign for me to take a few days off and just recharge.

Our group has gotten pretty good over the last few years at not being doormats and flat out telling whoever asks "No. That's a dumb idea and will not work". We have a lot of really talented people in here and have had *zero* turnover for the last three years. Before that it was 2 people for the lifetime of this group (5 years) and that was "lied about education on resume" and a junior guy that didn't work out.

But we fell into to that trap of delivering high-quality work, yet not protesting when scope creep started popping up here and there. So now we're fighting the uphill battle of increased funding and more personnel. One of the issues is we indirectly bring in revenue since my group doesn't directly bill any one project. Fortunately, aforementioned director is in our corner and the tide seems to be swinging our way. One battle that appears to have been won is getting management to sign off on a full Netcool deployment for Tier 1 and 2 which will allow a lot of work for them to be automated. (don't worry, no workforce reductions. Just stress reductions and an ability to confidently take on more clients).

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Here's the weird part I found out. We pay $70k for our PRIs and minutes. But every single call we make is initiated through this company called InsideSales.com, where they allow our sales people to forge a caller ID so we have "local presence" (we look like we're in the area code of the people we cold-call so they are more likely to answer). So InsideSales is charging us, wait for it, $300k a year for essentially the functionality of custom area codes, with no other features we use. Best part is, their cloud-hosted services have failed on us once or twice, ending our calls. So even with the trouble of hooking up our PRIs we're still going over whatever VoIP handoff this other comapany is using anyways and getting buttfucked for it. I'm going to try strong-arming our PBX supplier into seeing if they can provide us this area code hack on the backend or make a bunch of Google Voice accounts or something, we're not getting our money's worth by a long shot.

You are the cheapest stingiest person in SH/SC. I in no way would ever want to work in your environment but I love the tight wad posts.

Cant wait for the day your company decides they need something like a new SAN and you manage to cobble together external usb drives to a usb hub that converts to tape somehow.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

You are the cheapest stingiest person in SH/SC. I in no way would ever want to work in your environment but I love the tight wad posts.

Cant wait for the day your company decides they need something like a new SAN and you manage to cobble together external usb drives to a usb hub that converts to tape somehow.

It would be more fun if it was believable though. I am finding it hard to believe servers that are listed on CDW for 30k but the same servers are on ebay for 2k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

It would be more fun if it was believable though. I am finding it hard to believe servers that are listed on CDW for 30k but the same servers are on ebay for 2k.

The only way I see that happening is if he lives in Jersey and "they fell off the truck".