Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Che Delilas posted:

"Ex-miliatary" in a boss is a huge red flag for me now.

i left my last gig not entirely, but partially because my supervisor was a EOS Marine who didn't understand the civilian world. He would relate everything to his experiences in the Marines. That and his entire life's philosophy was "Shoot first, ask questions later", which doesn't really translate into IT/Network Engineering management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

crunk dork posted:

I'm not saying there is a shortage of jobs, I'm just saying that it appears to me that most of the openings are for mid to senior level roles. I wasn't sure if junior roles even really exist in decent numbers or if you just kind of hang out in help desk and pick up experience and knowledge in whatever field you want to specialize in and then start trying to grab mid-level roles.
Junior level roles are usually filled by networking/nepotism long before they ever make it to a job board. Get out there, make friends with a few people in the local tech community who matter, and let the winds of change carry you to your next :yotj:.

I pretty much owe my career to this point to a Linux user group where I met the people who got me the job I had back in '07.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Kid A posted:

We are using the ELK stack to view our event logs. It's moderately painless to set up, I used this post as a guide. It's free and it's much nicer to look at than actual event logs.

While I may try some of the other options, I'd like to try this. I've already played with ELK a little before, but it'd be neat to make it do something useful.

I'm pretty sure that we're paying for some ridiculous solarwinds stuff but no one gets to touch it except for special people.

evol262 posted:

Are you opposed to zabbix (or another agent), or collection with powershell and dumping it into a database that you generate reports from with SSRS or grafana or something?

I'm not opposed to that, it sounds like an interesting project. Much more interesting than doing it manually.

goblox
Sep 13, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

While I may try some of the other options, I'd like to try this. I've already played with ELK a little before, but it'd be neat to make it do something useful.

I'm pretty sure that we're paying for some ridiculous solarwinds stuff but no one gets to touch it except for special people.

I'm not opposed to that, it sounds like an interesting project. Much more interesting than doing it manually.

A nice alternative to the ELK stack is graylog which can be found here https://www.graylog.org/.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

goblox posted:

A nice alternative to the ELK stack is graylog which can be found here https://www.graylog.org/.
I still like Kibana because the visualizations are way above what Graylog2 does, but the project (and Lennart Koopmann) has come a ridiculously long way.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Junior level roles are usually filled by networking/nepotism long before they ever make it to a job board. Get out there, make friends with a few people in the local tech community who matter, and let the winds of change carry you to your next :yotj:.

I pretty much owe my career to this point to a Linux user group where I met the people who got me the job I had back in '07.

This is kind of what I thought. I definitely need to meet more dudes doing what I do, would be good to have people to bounce questions off of too.

On the topic of army bosses, my current CTO is like that. He can be cool sometimes I guess, but he has this super lovely confrontational attitude and a very abrasive personality. Straight up told all of us that if he calls our cell phone there better be a drat good reason if we don't answer, like being in the ICU. Pretty sure I don't have to talk to anyone from work period unless I'm at work or on call.

During my second week there he told all of us that if we don't get our billable hours up in the next couple weeks he would have to fire half of the staff, which makes me wonder about the current state of company finances.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

crunk dork posted:

During my second week there he told all of us that if we don't get our billable hours up in the next couple weeks he would have to fire half of the staff, which makes me wonder about the current state of company finances.
If I were an MSP CTO it would be hard for me to justify paying my MSP staff 2000 hours/week if they were only billing 1000.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

adorai posted:

If I were an MSP CTO it would be hard for me to justify paying my MSP staff 2000 hours/week if they were only billing 1000.

Every MSP needs to build a foundation of long term paid monthly support contracts if you are payrolling out of straight billable hours you are probably going to fail or have amazing salespeople.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Every MSP needs to build a foundation of long term paid monthly support contracts if you are payrolling out of straight billable hours you are probably going to fail or have amazing salespeople.

We had two sales guys, one just got fired last week lol

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

crunk dork posted:

This is kind of what I thought. I definitely need to meet more dudes doing what I do, would be good to have people to bounce questions off of too.
The decent groups will have a good amount of women, too. In a reasonable metro area, if the meetup is a total sausage fest, it probably says a lot more about the culture of the group than about gender representation in the local job market.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

crunk dork posted:

On the topic of army bosses, my current CTO is like that. He can be cool sometimes I guess, but he has this super lovely confrontational attitude and a very abrasive personality. Straight up told all of us that if he calls our cell phone there better be a drat good reason if we don't answer, like being in the ICU. Pretty sure I don't have to talk to anyone from work period unless I'm at work or on call.

What's your email address?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

What's your email address?

Check your PM

crunk dork fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 24, 2015

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

crunk dork posted:

Check your PM

Buy me pms and I'll check it lol.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Buy me pms and I'll check it lol.

Oh wtf I'm on my phone and it apparently lets me send a PM to anyone even if they don't have them! crunkdork@gmail.com

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

"Ex-miliatary" in a boss is a huge red flag for me now. It's not enough to completely nix a possible employment opportunity, but if I learn that my potential future boss is ex-military, I'm going to take a much closer, critical look at his mannerisms and personality than I might otherwise. I know this isn't a fair generalization, and I'm sure there are plenty of managers who used to be in the military that actually make the transition to civilian leadership and don't treat their people like fungible, disposable grunts. But I've been down that road, and never again if I can help it.

I have automatic respect for anyone that serves in the military, it's a huge sacrifice if you ask me. But I'm not a soldier, and I don't want a boss that acts like a drill sergeant.

Apparently my boss served in the military which you would never guess from his looks or manners, and it came up in some offhand comment during work banter. So far haven't been yelled at like private joker.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I have ton of respect for those that have served but the overwhelming majority of my experiences with veterans in IT has been abyssal. Everything is extremely serious and I'm really sorry but users not being able to fill out their TPS Reports is not a life or death situation. Chill the gently caress out.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

My coworker was in the Air Force for ~8 years and is one of the sharpest individuals I've ever had the pleasure of working with. But he was just a dude doing his time, not a career officer or something. Which seems to be the big difference.

He's the first one to talk poo poo about how IT was done in the military, and how badly. And help us not repeat those mistakes.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 25, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

My IT director at my last job was a Navy submariner who was sharp as a tack and one of the best bosses I've ever worked for. He trusted everyone's ability to do their jobs until proven otherwise, was the best vendor negotiator and relationship manager I've ever seen, and was generally just fantastic at being an abrasive person who was able to cut through the organizational bullshit and get buy-in from a really difficult group of people. Different people take different things away from military cultures.

He's also known one of the co-founders of the company I'm at now since back in the '80s, which was kind of weird to discover. He dated the guy's assistant for awhile.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
We always joke that our Risk Director (my boss) is ex-stasi. He grew up on the other side of the wall, has a hard on for information chain of custody and security, and scares the bejesus out of people with his intensity. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew people who could disappear you.
That being said he's great to work for. Up front about expectations, appreciative when things go well, and always willing to go to bat for his team. Doesn't truck with bullshit. I like him.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Old boss was just a grunt in the military, where he learned enough about leadership to think that being told to do something is all the motivation a person would need to do the thing.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Antioch posted:

We always joke that our Risk Director (my boss) is ex-stasi. He grew up on the other side of the wall, has a hard on for information chain of custody and security, and scares the bejesus out of people with his intensity. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew people who could disappear you.
That being said he's great to work for. Up front about expectations, appreciative when things go well, and always willing to go to bat for his team. Doesn't truck with bullshit. I like him.

Our building security guy is literally ex Soviet intelligence and keeps a bunch of terrifying guns in his car trunk at all times. His name is Igor and he owns. God help you if you forget your parking pass, though.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Shift lead is 15 years former military and gets worked up about things not following proper procedure. He's a little younger than me and I finally had to tell him that of all the leads, management and leadership, he is the only person that is former military in our unit who apparently actually gives a poo poo about proper procedure. I also advised him that unless he calms the gently caress down then he's either: a) going to stroke out young; b) have a heart attack; or c) get tranked by me. I think he's finally understanding that there's nothing about this job to get so worked up over, especially since we have less than six months left on the contract. Leadership knows that everyone still here has zero fucks left to give, and they aren't even remotely interested in trying to change that since they're just as busy trying to find another job just like all the rest.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

One of my current coworkers is a former Marine and actually got his CCNP while he was in, which is impressive because I've never met anyone in the active duty military with a CCNP.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
One of my previous bosses was former air force. He yelled and screamed if anyone made any mistakes, which were common because we were all overworked and sometimes pulling 12 hour overnight shifts after a week on day shift. Apparently he was worse at home. At least he was an okay guy when he wasn't pissed at everything.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

FISHMANPET posted:

Old boss was just a grunt in the military, where he learned enough about leadership to think that being told to do something is all the motivation a person would need to do the thing.

It's almost scary how accurate that is.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

psydude posted:

One of my current coworkers is a former Marine and actually got his CCNP while he was in, which is impressive because I've never met anyone in the active duty military with a CCNP.
Yeah we had one of those while I was in - while the rest of us would put in our hours and do well, this guy went above and beyond and had his CCNP while still active duty. I think he went straight from active duty to 6 figures.

Also, re: military talk, most of you probably don't realize I did 6 years in the military, and hopefully I'm the very definition of defying expectations there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've been kind of shocked and surprised at this military chat, then was told by someone that it's actually pretty common in the USA to work with someone ex-military. Just seems really weird to me.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've been kind of shocked and surprised at this military chat, then was told by someone that it's actually pretty common in the USA to work with someone ex-military. Just seems really weird to me.

Largest volunteer army in the world.

It depends a lot on where you are in country too. Some places have a much higher density of (former)military than others.

Also, have have 4 military bases within 2 hours drive.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

Also, have have 4 military bases within 2 hours drive.

Yikes. 0 for me (Vancouver BC). Closest regular forces base would be our navy base on Vancouver Island I guess? Hour drive plus 2 hour ferry plus another hour and a half drive. I've never met an ex-military person in my life (not counting WW2 vets like my grandparents) I guess I hear about them and read about them, but never actually known one. Not something I even think about or give a poo poo about here, it's a non-thing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
you probably have they just dont mention it because most dont want their dick sucked by literally every civilian they come across

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

go3 posted:

you probably have they just dont mention it because most dont want their dick sucked by literally every civilian they come across

I think there are some major cultural differences between our countries and that wouldn't happen here. I personally don't give a poo poo about people in the military or ex-military, and would never give any extra respect or care to someone because of it. That attitude is more common here among people I know at least.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

go3 posted:

Where do we sign up for this perk

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

Where do we sign up for this perk
new york

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

go3 posted:

I was working the store one day and was talking to an active duty army soldier in uniform, when we got interrupted by another customer who just had to express how grateful he was for the soldiers service. After the other customer walked away, the soldier rolled his eyes and made a couple jokes about how annoying that was.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

The US government, and in particular the DoD/Intelligence Community, is a major part of the IT industry in the US. A lot of veterans wind up working in those sectors because they already have the requisite security clearances (for contractors) and the federal government itself gives preference to hiring veterans. So if someone worked in government contracting or even for a company that does business with the government, the odds are high they've worked with a lot of former military members.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I have my interview tomorrow. I'm nervous. I talked to the manager today and from the 40 minutes or so we talked I like the guy. He was talking about a lot of stuff that I don't really know, though, which worries me. They told me that they'll teach everything (or a lot, at least), nobody is going to get yelled at for asking questions, they're more interested in someone that has good social skills and can learn. I'd be the 4th person on what has been a three man team (it's expanding). It doesn't sound like it's entirely his decision on hiring but he said he's basically already sold from my friend's recommendation.

The interview is a "technical" interview but he was describing it more as they'll ask about my experience and about troubleshooting and whatnot, it's not a test situation. He also said that his manager hired a DBA that ended up being terrible and that's why everyone is hired on a contract now, but that within a month or two I'd be full time (assuming I'm not terrible, I suppose).

I guess I'll know more tomorrow, but right now the only thing I don't really like is driving to Pittsburgh. I'll manage, though. And I live close enough to my friend where carpooling is an option, so that will help too. Also, telling my current job is going to not be fun. But they've had plenty of opportunities to make me want to stay.

When he was describing the interview to me, he said they'd ask things like "what is my proudest troubleshooting moment" and I've been thinking about it since and I can't come up with a good answer. I hate the whole interviewing/selling myself process.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

myron cope posted:

When he was describing the interview to me, he said they'd ask things like "what is my proudest troubleshooting moment" and I've been thinking about it since and I can't come up with a good answer. I hate the whole interviewing/selling myself process.

Think about the last time you had some huge "Aha!" moment while you were scratching your head on a tough problem. Or one that you spent weeks troubleshooting and working through a deep root resolution to address it quickly in the future. Or when you've found a problem that has a workaround but you suggested a fix to dev/management that was accepted and now nobody else ever has to waste time on it again.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

myron cope posted:

It doesn't have to be anything major. Was there any time where you solved a problem another tech couldn't? A time where you spotted a problem that other people had overlooked? Something you did unbidden that helped someone out? A time where you were super nice and solved someone's trivial problem without making them feel like an idiot and they were really appreciative about that? A time where there was a problem that nobody knew how to solve and you had to do research and/or experimentation, and maybe even craft a unique solution on your own? A time where you wrote a script to solve a common issue that you and other techs re-used in the future?

It also doesn't have to be "your proudest moment." Yes, that's what they're asking for, but it's not like they can verify this poo poo. It just has to be anything, anything at all, that you would consider a success (within the context of the question of course). Something that made you grin because you accomplished something. Something you can talk details about. That's what they want: to know you care at all about this line of work.

I'd also advise that you come up with a specific reason why you want to work at this company in particular. Even if it was one of a dozen opportunities that you shotgunned a resume out to, come up with something better than, "because you called me back." My new job was just a job board hit that fit in my level of experience, one of ten I applied to that week, and one of the three that called me back. I didn't know anything about the company. Hadn't even heard of them. But as soon as they called to schedule that first screen, I did some research and came up with something minimally specific, because I'll be damned if every company I've ever interviewed with hasn't asked that question.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

the spyder posted:

I'm looking at hardware from all three of the vendors in the last few posts.
Dell R730's
HP G9's
Cisco UCS

And Nexus/ Juniper QFX switchgear.

If I had all the money I was promised, I would go full UCS/Nexus/EMC. But it looks like Dell/Juniper/Nimble are winning out price wise. I have no reason to believe that this gear won't run solid for 5 years and cost 20-30% less due to the volume. Hopefully it will be on a 4 year life cycle (minus networking). Anyone have a VAR recommendation? I need to start calling vendors Tuesday to get actual quotes.

I've recently bought a fair bit of server, in total its 1TB RAM, 80 cores. I was splitting that across 4 servers and the cheapest for me came out UCS actually.
Ask your vendor for a "Smartplay bundle" and you will get a crazy good price on your UCS. They'll even chuck some Fabric Interconnects in for practically free too

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

I love how most recruiters now will flat out give you the pay range and say the position includes excellent benefits but if you ask for specifics or a copy of the actual employee manual things get much murkier.

A thousand times this. One semi-interesting position had its faults on Glassdoor, one of which was awful health coverage. I asked for a copy of the open enrollment info, they declined to give it and said they wanted to interview me. I said I'd like to get the info so I don't take up their time (and mine, but I didn't say that) if the benefits didn't match.

Them: "We offer full health/dental/vision benefits but we cannot give that information out unless an offer is pending. Let me know when you would like to schedule."
Me: "I understand. Best of luck in your search."

It had terrible reviews across the board, save for obvious plants. Oh well.