Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cash crab posted:

I got a really good Dr. Hibbert laugh out of that one, thank you.

Fake edit: CONTENT

depending on the quality of the fries, sauce and dogs, i'd devour that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Fine, here ya go, you goddamned pizza liberals

quote:

Organic blueberry and homegrown passion fruit banana ice cream. Vegan? Of course ✅

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I don't think that ice cream is vegan...

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The blueberry stuff by itself looks decent, but passionfruit almost never looks good and ruins it

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I don't think that ice cream is vegan...

it's banana ice cream which means its base is pureed frozen bananas

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Gamma Nerd posted:

it's banana ice cream which means its base is pureed frozen bananas

So, it's not ice cream, it's a banana smoothie

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sure, why not. Would.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It looks like eel mouths foaming out eel eggs.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

pandaK posted:

The blueberry stuff by itself looks decent, but passionfruit almost never looks good and ruins it

Passion fruit looks like some alien lifeform's eggs but it's delicious so I totally would. Unsure about the vegan ice cream though, so substitute real dairy for it and it's golden.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

pandaK posted:

Sure, why not. Would.

Really? It looks like it's going to hatch at any minute

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cash crab posted:

Really? It looks like it's going to hatch at any minute

It already hatched, they should be chasing it across the spaceship by now.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

welcome to veganism :biotruths:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GrandpaPants posted:

Passion fruit looks like some alien lifeform's eggs but it's delicious so I totally would. Unsure about the vegan ice cream though, so substitute real dairy for it and it's golden.

"Banana ice cream" is literally just frozen, mashed bananas. It's not ice cream, but it's not anything bad. The bit I'd question is why are the passion fruit skins in the bowl?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

cash crab posted:

Fine, here ya go, you goddamned pizza liberals

I have a feeling that tastes pretty good, but eurgh

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010

cash crab posted:

I got a really good Dr. Hibbert laugh out of that one, thank you.

Fake edit: CONTENT

Drizzle some ketchup on that and I'd take a slice.

Also would the nightmare sorbet.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

You can actually make vegan ice-cream with soy creamer and sugar as well as... I think no-egg? It's not the real stuff, but it is a hell of a lot closer to it than mashed bananas. I know cause I had some basil vegan ice cream once. It was alright. Good with black coffee.

And yeah, that dessert LOOKS bad, but probably tastes fine.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
There aren't ice cream rules but one: there should be frozen loving cream in it you loving vegetable munching retards. Look, I try to be considerate, and I love the challenge of making tasty food out of limited ingredients, but one thing loving IRKS me about some vegan recipes, and that's when they try to shoehorn their constrained diet into a hosed up compromise of a food product. You can't use butter, stop trying to pretend Country Crock is gonna work; almond "milk" is loving NOT going to work like milk when cooked; it's all just terrible.

Also, that purple reminds me of ube. Behold, ube halaya:

:philippines:

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 07:49 on May 25, 2015

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
How do you know if someone is a vegan?

They will be the almost dead from malnutrition one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The 90s kid in me is all over that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

How do you know if someone is a vegan?

They will be the almost dead from malnutrition one.

Vegans are almost universally sickly, waifish individuals presently succumbing to (or slowly recovering from) the presence of trace amounts of meat or meat broth from something they recently ate. If it's not that a foodstuff included chicken stock, it's a pan that also cooked a steak at some point, or a kitchen that hosted the aroma of a pig that has caused him or her to become violently ill. Immunocompromised, they will constantly waver between talking about inflicting some awful vegan-approved recipe on others, and looking like they might die if they don't eat something besides dirt or a tuber soon.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Pomp posted:

depending on the quality of the fries, sauce and dogs, i'd devour that.

Look into your heart and you know the sauce is actually ketchup.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Vegans are almost universally sickly, waifish individuals presently succumbing to (or slowly recovering from) the presence of trace amounts of meat or meat broth from something they recently ate. If it's not that a foodstuff included chicken stock, it's a pan that also cooked a steak at some point, or a kitchen that hosted the aroma of a pig that has caused him or her to become violently ill. Immunocompromised, they will constantly waver between talking about inflicting some awful vegan-approved recipe on others, and looking like they might die if they don't eat something besides dirt or a tuber soon.

Look, I went off a bit hard on vegans. There are recipes that are really good vegan food, but they are drat near NEVER an analogue of something omnivorous or even vegetarian.

It's a good challenge to look at vegan ingredients and figuring out what you can do to make something tasty; my favorite vegan recipe so far is a curry, but there are some stir-fries and other random things like ratatouille that are drat good when you do it right.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Wasabi the J posted:

Look, I went off a bit hard on vegans. There are recipes that are really good vegan food, but they are drat near NEVER an analogue of something omnivorous or even vegetarian.

It's a good challenge to look at vegan ingredients and figuring out what you can do to make something tasty; my favorite vegan recipe so far is a curry, but there are some stir-fries and other random things like ratatouille that are drat good when you do it right.

Indian food translates really well to vegan recipes since they revolve around spices anyways.

Would eat everything on this plate

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

There used to be a vegan restaurant around here that vegans would rave about...yet almost every non-vegan person I know who gave it a try was not impressed at all. Too salty, not enough flavor, and too expensive, seemed to be the most common complaints. All the items on the menu had ridiculous pretentious hippie names too. I went there twice (the second time only because I was with others who wanted to try it) and never went back.

pandaK posted:

Indian food translates really well to vegan recipes since they revolve around spices anyways.

That looks amazing, like most Indian food. Most vegan food I've had pales in comparison though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rah! posted:

There used to be a vegan restaurant around here that vegans would rave about...yet almost every non-vegan person I know who gave it a try was not impressed at all. Too salty, not enough flavor, and too expensive, seemed to be the most common complaints. All the items on the menu had ridiculous pretentious hippie names too. I went there twice (the second time only because I was with others who wanted to try it) and never went back.

Indeed. There's a place in Vegas that's a RAW VEGAN place that I'm surprised stays open; it's really not cheap, and there is barely any seasoning on anything at all.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

pandaK posted:

Spices and cream and ghee. Although there are probably some Indian dishes without cream or ghee. I mean, theoretically.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Hirayuki posted:

Spices and cream and ghee. Although there are probably some Indian dishes without cream or ghee. I mean, theoretically.

Plenty, there's quite a few Jains out there and they are exclusive vegans (and also don't eat roots, so no onions, garlic or potato)

Much of south india doesn't cook with very much fat, it's really north india and pakistan that does. That's still generalising though, considering how huge and varied India is.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

NLJP posted:

Plenty, there's quite a few Jains out there and they are exclusive vegans (and also don't eat roots, so no onions, garlic or potato)

Much of south india doesn't cook with very much fat, it's really north india and pakistan that does. That's still generalising though, considering how huge and varied India is.

Well yeah India is damned huge.
Even Pakistan which is quite smaller has significant regional differences. Mostly due to India and Pakistan being incredibly diverse in all manners cultural, ethnic, linguistic and religious.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

NLJP posted:

(and also don't eat roots, so no onions, garlic or potato)

Why would you even want to live? That's like the three best things

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Rah! posted:

That looks amazing, like most Indian food. Most vegan food I've had pales in comparison though.

Strange really, there are a couple of places in Glasgow which do either vegan (or vegetarian) food, and I remember being drat impressed by how good it was - best damned butternut squash soup I ever had. Pricey, though.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Thing is it's really cheap to cook at home though.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Chickpeas can go get hosed :barf:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Well that's one less way you're going to die I guess.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Reign Of Pain posted:

I believe you mean garbanzo beans and they're great.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Reign Of Pain posted:

You're a monster

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

I actually did find something vegan that was good. It was a mac n' cheese from a bakery in the market down the road, and it tasted nothing like cheese, but they actually used real seasonings and spices and I think the sauce was cauliflower and cashews or something. They also made good muffins. Beyond that, though, everything was awful. I lost my poo poo laughing on time because they sell these weird little "savoury pockets" (which I refuse to order by name) that have no moisture, so the "dough" was very grainy, almost like...

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Reign Of Pain posted:

I don't trust people who don't like hummus and/or falafel. :colbert:

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

I'm a cook at an Indian (Punjabi) restaurant, basically everything that doesn't have actual meat in it is vegan here at least.

McSpergin posted:

Why would you even want to live? That's like the three best things

They use Asafetida as a substitute (doesn't work very well).

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

bathroomrage posted:

Yeah well it's true, all dairy makes me poo poo liquid the same, so all dairy is the same. :argh:

Acidophilus milk/lactose free milk, friend. I have it every morning.

To contribute, I used to be able to drink grape juice every day, but no longer can because I inherited bad enamel from my father. I miss you, grape juice. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

pandaK posted:

drat that looks good.

• Locked thread