Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Piell posted:

Numerous times he went out of his way to act like an rear end in a top hat to the people he was voting out and didn't once consider that this might cause problems to him later.

Hey, it worked for Daugherty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Piell posted:

Russel Hantz has no idea how to play Survivor, something he unknowingly admitted when he said he never thought about the jury on the HvV Reunion. Numerous times he went out of his way to act like an rear end in a top hat to the people he was voting out and didn't once consider that this might cause problems to him later. He's very good at taking control of the game, but Survivor is about being able to get to the end (which he can do) and still have a majority of the jury be willing to vote for you (which he would never be able to do).

of all the people playing survivor on season 19, he played the best game of survivor.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

BGrifter posted:

It's kind of crazy to watch the transformation to his body alone. Dude was pretty pudgy at the start of Samoa.

The dude was straight Fat at the start of Samoa

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Saying Sandra isn't that as good as she's cracked up to be isn't the same as saying Russel should've won HvV.

I can completely see why Russell lost both times (I think I would've voted for him in Samoa if I was a Galu but who knows). I also don't think Sandra is very good at Survivor and essentially lucked her way into 2 wins with barely any gameplay moves on her resume. People like to pretend she played Russel like (perhaps) Natalie White did but it's just not true, she wasn't dragging him as a goat in fact she was gunning for him the whole game simply because she didn't like him. Zero strategy and zero clout since she couldn't even get that done. It's probably near the top of my list of disappointing winners, Parvati played the best game.

As for our old friend Russel, I know he's a fatally flawed player but goddamn he was amazing to watch with that string of ridiculous hail mary idol plays and crazy machinations. I don't know if I'll ever be as excited watching Survivor as I was when Russell was at his peak in Samoa and early HvV.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
In a perfect world Russel would have won Samoa and lost HvV to Sandra.Taking Sandra to the end was a fatal flaw in Parvati's and Russel's game and therefore they dont deserve to win.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Actually looking back at that final 4 vote in HvV, why didn't Parvati force a tie between Jerri & Sandra?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Smorgasbord posted:

Actually looking back at that final 4 vote in HvV, why didn't Parvati force a tie between Jerri & Sandra?

Because it risks Jerri and Sandra voting her out.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Any great tidbits from the Mike interview? I can't listen to a three hour podcast.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

Any great tidbits from the Mike interview? I can't listen to a three hour podcast.

It was really entertaining. First and foremost Rodney couldn't be more wrong with his estimation of Mike as just a dumb redneck, Mike seems drat bright for some Texas oil worker with a terrible tattoo.

Apparently he made a bunch of audition videos but never sent them in. Colton quitting for the second time pissed him off enough to push him over the edge and got him serious about getting onto the show. He trained extensively for the show, running a lot, swimming a mile a day, and has seen every season at least twice. Now he's put Shirin through physical training to prepare her for second chance, and picked her for to win the season. I don't know how why everybody who goes onto the show doesn't go through some sort of training regiment, doesn't make much sense if you want to give yourself the best chance at winning.

There was a lot of talk about strategy throughout the season, but nothing that stuck out from what we saw. In the end Mike is a really impressive winner to me, and I'm glad he pulled through because he deserved it.

One more thing I just remembered, Rodney was super butthurt and didn't congratulate Mike at the reunion. After months of Mike trying to contact him, he finally manned up and texted him back so they're all good now. Rob was playing a bunch of Rodney drops, YOU GOTTA RELAX BRO

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Seems to me the best physical training regimen would be:
1) Constance balance training
2) Endurance (swimming, running)
3) Forearm, hand and calf strengthening
4) Lots and lots of yoga and pilates

No idea how you would get your body ready to have an extreme drop in calorie intake.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Tide posted:

No idea how you would get your body ready to have an extreme drop in calorie intake.

Well you could sharply limit your calorie intake for, say, a week at a time. I'd think it'd be super valuable to know how you react mentally to such a state.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

pokeyman posted:

Well you could sharply limit your calorie intake for, say, a week at a time. I'd think it'd be super valuable to know how you react mentally to such a state.

Everyone I've heard talk about it seems to agree the smart move is to do what Penner did and try to gain as much weight as possible before the show. Most people are more worried about looking good on camera though.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

BGrifter posted:

Everyone I've heard talk about it seems to agree the smart move is to do what Penner did and try to gain as much weight as possible before the show. Most people are more worried about looking good on camera though.

That could also make you a liability if it hurts your performance in pre-merge challenges. Guess other downside is if you make it past merge the "% of body weight" challenges are always based on your starting weight at beginning of show so that would make them even more difficult for you.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BGrifter posted:

I would think that trying to gain as much weight as possible would be a bad thing, instead focus on a percentage of body fat to try and gain. You'd need those fat stores to act as energy over the long haul so that your body doesn't start catabolizing muscle.

Not a nutritionist or exercise guru, just going by what i remember from Mens Health magazine :downs:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Terry Glenn posted:

of all the people playing survivor on season 19, he played the best game of survivor.
I mean by definition that's not really true since he didn't win. I agree that it seems like the jury should have voted for him but they didn't so v:shobon:v

GaussianCopula posted:

In a perfect world Russel would have won Samoa and lost HvV to Sandra.Taking Sandra to the end was a fatal flaw in Parvati's and Russel's game and therefore they dont deserve to win.
Parv told Russell not to bring Sandra and even told Russell she'd vote for Sandra, so that's Russell's fault alone. Unless you wanna blame Parv for allying a doofus.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Two strategy things I remember from what I've heard of the Mike podcast so far: Sierra talking to Tyler, Joe & Jauquin about flipping was a bluff the bluecollars had planned for the swap, and the challenge-throw wasn't a Mike/Kelly only thing, but a strategy bc had planned pre-swap for any alliance mate who was on the bad side of the numbers after the swap

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

BGrifter posted:

Didn't even Hatch do that on the first All Stars. It's funny how little most people do to prepare. Maybe because they don't know they're going until late in the casting process... but at the very least learn to make fire with flint and try living on rice for a few days, and put on some fat pounds right before leaving. And that's the minimum, there's a lot you could do to really train and it's cool that Mike took that step.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised that most of these people don't at least know the numerous ways to start a fire before coming on survivor. It's kind of like not learning how to drive stick shift and going on the amazing race. You're shooting yourself in the foot by not doing some basic preparation.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Spiky Ooze posted:

Didn't even Hatch do that on the first All Stars.

Hatch also shoved a book of matches up his rear end. That man knows how to prepare.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

People don't even watch older episodes to prepare for the show. It's so weird.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Does anyone have an mp3 of Rodney's "You better relax bro" quote? I love how he says it and I want to play it on my friends constantly.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Terry Glenn posted:

nope. Natalie played a better social game, and effectively hid behind Russell and manipulated him into taking her to the end despite being an obvious jury threat. And from AMAs Dave and Monica did recently, it seems like Brett was pretty well set-up, and would have won if Galu had Pagonged the Foa Foa Four. And he almost won anyway.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm surprised that twist wasn't more controversial. How could they let a new player join the season already in progress on day 32?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I'm re watching survivor from season 1. I haven't seen it since it was on live so I guess it's been 15 years but I'm still amazed at what a different show it is compared to what's on now. People throwing votes away alphabetically, Jeff coming to camp all the time, him describing challenge rules as they are happening. It's weird.
One thing I noticed is that it tried to make it like they were in a ship wreck and there were buildings on the island to explore, old WW2 stuff to find, have to find a hurt member to transport through the jungle, like it was a simulator for a real situation. You don't see that anymore. Now it's like the people are just there and the challenges are set up like stuff to do at summer camp.

I think they followed up on that in season 2 like it was a plane crash but I'm not there yet to see if I'm remembering it correctly.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It's pretty much Big Brother on a beach now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I'm re watching survivor from season 1. I haven't seen it since it was on live so I guess it's been 15 years but I'm still amazed at what a different show it is compared to what's on now. People throwing votes away alphabetically, Jeff coming to camp all the time, him describing challenge rules as they are happening. It's weird.
One thing I noticed is that it tried to make it like they were in a ship wreck and there were buildings on the island to explore, old WW2 stuff to find, have to find a hurt member to transport through the jungle, like it was a simulator for a real situation. You don't see that anymore. Now it's like the people are just there and the challenges are set up like stuff to do at summer camp.

I think they followed up on that in season 2 like it was a plane crash but I'm not there yet to see if I'm remembering it correctly.

They definitely enjoyed doing those gimmicky ideas early on. Pearl Islands was entirely themed as a shipwreck and pirate life and it was a fun aspect that is completely absent from the game now. I guess its kind of impossible to do that now since so many of the modern players are gamebots and obsessed plans with all kinds of game theory and stuff. The whimsy and adventure of the early seasons would probably just get laughed at and ignored if they tried it with one of the newer casts.

I've got the Island sitting on my DVR because I'm curious if that's a little more like the early seasons. Anyone seen it and care to offer an opinion?

I caught Naked and Afraid for the first time a few weeks ago and immediately had that same feeling as the early seasons of Survivor had. Unfortunately it seems like the first episode I saw was the best one because the two people were making clothes and backpacks and hunting everything including alligators. Every other episode I've seen is just two people getting mad at each other as they slowly die of starvation.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 29, 2015

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Terry Glenn posted:

Russell Hantz deserved to win Samoa. Put it on my tombstone.

If he did then he would have won.

Terry Glenn posted:

Well, obviously not, since he didn't win.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Parity Warning's post should just be on the OP of every Survivor thread.

I started to rewatch Pearl Islands, and it is a shocker at how different things have gotten. Everyone's complaining about food, water, comfort, not getting enough sleep, blah blah blah. It also seems like they got way better at weeding out quitters as the seasons go by. It feels like there was a huge block of seasons where someone quit in the beginning or middle of every one. I'm glad we don't have to deal with that anymore.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Osten's quit in Pearl Islands and his subsequent edit was a true thing of beauty.

Also, Darrah the silent mortician is the player who most needs to return in a future season.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003
I think Christa should have come back because she was a crazy strong woman.

I also think that Michelle Yi from Survivor: Fiji should have been on the second chances list since she got screwed over by crazy "twists".

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i dunno, quitting hasn't changed much in recent seasons i don't think

nicaragua had two, at once
RI didn't have any, i don't believe
SP can't remember
OW, colton. i mean he left for "medical reasons" but everyone knows he basically quit
Philippines, that one girl on the red tribe
caramoan, brandon basically quit by going crazy
BvW, colton... again
cagayan, what was her name? leslie?
BvW2, think this one was clean
WA, also no one i believe

also yes darrah was cool.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Adus posted:

BvW2, think this one was clean

Julie :eng101:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So I know everyone has a different opinion on this, but I've seen roughly half of Survivor's seasons. I kinda want to rewatch em over the summer, since I have a killer seasonal job that an episode of survivor seems like a perfect tonic to.

I looked up a list of seasons, and I've actually seen far less than I thought. While I've seen most of the returning players seasons, I'm missing quite a few early seasons.

I remember Vecepia's win in Marquesas (and O'Donnell's loving awful reunion show), but I have literally no memory of Thailand, Amazon, or Pearl Islands. Should I go back and watch everything from season one, or start where my memory starts to go fuzzy?

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Tide posted:

Aras has said he prepared for both his seasons by basically eating nothing but fruit for 2 weeks leading up to going on Survivor, so that he shrinks his stomach and doesn't feel much in the way of hunger pains when he was competing. This lead to him never really feeling the same hunger shock as everyone else.

Others have said its better to pack on the pudge a little bit to help keep you insulated, so its not an exact science.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

So I know everyone has a different opinion on this, but I've seen roughly half of Survivor's seasons. I kinda want to rewatch em over the summer, since I have a killer seasonal job that an episode of survivor seems like a perfect tonic to.

I looked up a list of seasons, and I've actually seen far less than I thought. While I've seen most of the returning players seasons, I'm missing quite a few early seasons.

I remember Vecepia's win in Marquesas (and O'Donnell's loving awful reunion show), but I have literally no memory of Thailand, Amazon, or Pearl Islands. Should I go back and watch everything from season one, or start where my memory starts to go fuzzy?

Depends on how much time you have really. Amazon & Pearl Islands are great, and personally I like Thailand too but most others don't. I've started a rewatch, going through Borneo now and it's pretty great, but surreal compared to modern Survivor.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Overdrift posted:

Does anyone have an mp3 of Rodney's "You better relax bro" quote? I love how he says it and I want to play it on my friends constantly.

Might be on the free RHAP app soundboard:
http://robhasawebsite.com/app/

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

Might be on the free RHAP app soundboard:
http://robhasawebsite.com/app/

The juxtaposition of just how un-relaxed Rodney is while saying it is just amazing :allears:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

bbf2 posted:

Aras has said he prepared for both his seasons by basically eating nothing but fruit for 2 weeks leading up to going on Survivor, so that he shrinks his stomach and doesn't feel much in the way of hunger pains when he was competing. This lead to him never really feeling the same hunger shock as everyone else.

Others have said its better to pack on the pudge a little bit to help keep you insulated, so its not an exact science.

Maybe a bit of both? Fatten up, then go to a decreasing diet for two weeks?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

elgarbo posted:

Osten's quit in Pearl Islands and his subsequent edit was a true thing of beauty.

Also, Darrah the silent mortician is the player who most needs to return in a future season.

I've been thinking this for a while. I was struck watching Pearl Islands how much I liked Darrah, and it was really cool when she, out of nowhere, became a real threat to win the game near the end stretch, and I think there was production tampering with that bullshit challenge where the jury could take immunity off the table, just to avoid Darrah as the winner. Because I think she would've beat Lil at the final challenge, and then taken Lil to the end and beaten her. And production knew it, and knew that would be a disappointing end to the season, drama-wise. Now, Sandra or Fairplay, those would be great winners. So I don't really blame them much for that call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."
Now that we're in the off-season...

I'm sure it gets talked about a bunch, but how do people think a season would go if they started the season merged?

Instead of tribes winning immunity, have immunity challenges split everyone into 2 or 3 equally-sized teams either by random selection or schoolyard pick, and have the winning team (or 2?) get immunity, similar to how some reward challenges work post-merge right now.

This would mean that everyone gets to conspire with everyone else right from day 1, and the question of who's safe at the next tribal council is even more up in the air, since just because the red team wins two immunity challenges in a row doesn't mean it's the same people.

One thing I'm still undecided on is whether the 1 or 2 people sitting out any given challenge should be given immunity or not. Right now, I'd think that if it was a random drawing then no, but if it was a schoolyard pick then yes.

What variations do people here think could make for an interesting change to the fundamental gameplay?

• Locked thread