Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Oh, I did it the other way around, extra focus at level 2 and Biting Whip at level 4, but that's good then.

Why is the hunting bow so bad? Don't firing rate and damage output compensate for each other? I guess I should use my War Bow for now, then.

The hunting bow isn't great because of damage resistance. It fires quickly, for lower damage. That is fine against enemies without resistance, but since damage resistance applies per hit, you are going to be doing less damage against high DR targets. That is why rending, which cuts through damage resistance, is one of the best properties to have on a weapon.

There is a hunting bow with rending, and it is really good, but you can't get it until rather late in the game. By contrast, the war bow with rending, cloudpiercer, is a little more accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ah yes, I hadn't taken DR into account.

So this Fine Arbalest that I have sitting in my inventory is the superior option (I'm not sure what 'Fine' does)? I will try the naked arbalestman strategy.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Phlegmish posted:

Ah yes, I hadn't taken DR into account.

So this Fine Arbalest that I have sitting in my inventory is the superior option (I'm not sure what 'Fine' does)? I will try the naked arbalestman strategy.

Fine is a metric of quality above the base, along with the even better Exceptional and Superb. For weapons they increase accuracy and damage, for armor they increase DR, for shields they increase deflection. You will the stats when examining the equipment, and you can improve a weapon using the Enchant button on examination.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You guys were right, the arbalest is a really good choice. My character is so good I don't even need to cast spells half of the time.

Check it out, most dangerous gimp in Dyrwood:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Hunting Bows are a perfectly usable weapon for Ciphers. Ciphers don't have much of an issue with DR thanks to Soul Whip and Biting Whip, and the relatively short recovery time means powers can be used directly after Focus is filled up.

Anyway, since you only took the Whip talents so far, I think it would probably be best to just experiment with different weapons, melee included.

Disco Infiva posted:

From the looks of it, if you take Caed Nua without taking Durance first.
Pretty much, it was the first time I spoke to her in Act 2.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

You can use them but they're the worst option.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Nah that honor would go to implements.

Filthy Monkey posted:

There is a hunting bow with rending, and it is really good, but you can't get it until rather late in the game. By contrast, the war bow with rending, cloudpiercer, is a little more accessible.
You should be using Persistence until you get the rending hunting bow. Persistence is really easy to get and its built well and for damage. You'll have to get the accuracy buffs from somewhere else or overwrite the Damaging 3 enchantment yourself.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 31, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think bows are a bit underrated, the one Hunting Bow that does DoT is a monster on Sagani, and so is Cloudpiercer.

Unfortunately I think bows are really only great on Rangers. I have Cloudpiercer on my Druid PC right now, but only because it's "the best weapon I never have to use". It's pretty good for trash mobs though, it's faster than casting a spell.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

precision posted:

I think bows are a bit underrated, the one Hunting Bow that does DoT is a monster on Sagani, and so is Cloudpiercer.

Unfortunately I think bows are really only great on Rangers. I have Cloudpiercer on my Druid PC right now, but only because it's "the best weapon I never have to use". It's pretty good for trash mobs though, it's faster than casting a spell.
A lot of that is because the penetrating shot talent is misunderstood. Everyone sees that 20% drop in attack speed but in reality it only hits the recovery bar, so it ends up being a significant increase in damage for faster bows.

The entire attack speed system is poorly conveyed in general. I still don't think the speed enchant on weapons is working.

DrShevek
Jan 6, 2015
Cloudpiercer is drat good on a cipher or a rogue too. You can make a pretty great ranged fighter with it too thanks to confident aim/weapon mastery/etc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rascyc posted:

A lot of that is because the penetrating shot talent is misunderstood. Everyone sees that 20% drop in attack speed but in reality it only hits the recovery bar, so it ends up being a significant increase in damage for faster bows.

The entire attack speed system is poorly conveyed in general. I still don't think the speed enchant on weapons is working.

I'm pretty sure there isn't anywhere in-game that actually tells you that Wands/Scepters are ranged weapons. For a long time I thought they only were if a Mage with Blast was using them.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Rascyc posted:

Nah that honor would go to implements.
Yeah, and Crossbows.
The only ranged weapons I wouldn't use at all are Rods and Crossbows. The other implements aren't so great either, but at least they're fast. Without any talent investment, I think War Bows are the best ranged weapons.
Edit: Although Lead Spitter is pretty great, of course.

precision posted:

I think ranged weapons in general are only great on Rangers, and even in this case they may be the main thing holding the class back.
Druids, Wizards and Priests get Hunting Bows because I don't want them in melee and the recovery time is low. Everyone else is just better off with melee weapons.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 31, 2015

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

What class would be better for a non-PotD solo run, Monk or Barbarian?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Are you guys taking athletics on all your characters? I'm not sure if it changed in a recent patch, but I'm playing through on Hard (no other settings) and my team seems to get fatigued way before anyone is low on health or I run out of spells/abilities. Possibly my party is just in a weird bit of the advancement curve where the enemies are too weak? It's been happening for several sectors now.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Everyone needs 3 athletics.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The "Mother's plea" quest: does this have larger ramifications beyond what reward you get? As in, if I say/hide that it's a placebo will this change events later on in the game?

Also survival seems pretty useless or am I missing something?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

double nine posted:

The "Mother's plea" quest: does this have larger ramifications beyond what reward you get? As in, if I say/hide that it's a placebo will this change events later on in the game?

Also survival seems pretty useless or am I missing something?

As far as I know the only difference your choices make in companion quests are the end slides describing how they turn out.

I think Survival might be useful on PotD as I hear people say food is pretty important in that mode.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Did something change about encounters? I remember on a previous character that when in Easternwood I got close to the road to Raedric's Hold, I encountered some guy saying "hey, this is high-level content, don't go here yet". This time, I got out of one of the huts in Gilded Vale and the same guy was there but he recruited me to deal with Raedric. It's a bit odd, is what I'm saying.

Now, more importantly, what should I pay attention to when comparing weapons? Speed, damage, accuracy, ...?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Fast mode is not working properly for me. When I start up the game it works fine, but it quickly stops working. I can still toggle fast mode, but it's no faster than normal. Has anyone else experienced this?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Urgent question: if I kill all the caravaners there is no way to get the water bags right? Because Sparfel didn't drop them and if you pick them up at the south point of the map then the hostiles get spawned and you lose the ability to slaughter everyone.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

double nine posted:

Did something change about encounters? I remember on a previous character that when in Easternwood I got close to the road to Raedric's Hold, I encountered some guy saying "hey, this is high-level content, don't go here yet". This time, I got out of one of the huts in Gilded Vale and the same guy was there but he recruited me to deal with Raedric. It's a bit odd, is what I'm saying.

He can show up in Gilded Vale if your reputation in the village gets high enough, otherwise he meets you on the way to Raedric's Hold.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Everyone needs 3 athletics.
Yeah. 2 points are gonna be enough most of the time, but I'd only go that low on a character that needs to put as many points into Mechanics as possible, like when you make Durance the one responsible for disarming traps.

Furism posted:

I think Survival might be useful on PotD as I hear people say food is pretty important in that mode.
It's nice to get some extra duration out of Ale, but generally food is cheap, sold in huge quantities and has long durations. I mainly like Survival for some potions that would otherwise run out in the middle of the fight. And putting some points into it at some point isn't going to hurt much anyway, even if you're focusing on another skill.

double nine posted:

Now, more importantly, what should I pay attention to when comparing weapons? Speed, damage, accuracy, ...?
Do you mean weapon type (Daggers vs Stilettos) or individual weapons (Tidefall vs Blade of the Endless Paths)?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wizard Styles posted:

Do you mean weapon type (Daggers vs Stilettos) or individual weapons (Tidefall vs Blade of the Endless Paths)?

General guidelines to pay attention to. Also, for a thief should I go dual wield first or backstab first...

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

double nine posted:

General guidelines to pay attention to. Also, for a thief should I go dual wield first or backstab first...
Thieves get huge damage modifiers, so they're generally good dual-wielding Sabres since Sabres have high base damage, meaning all the modifiers pay more dividends.

Don't take Backstab early. If you ever take it, pick it once you either have Shadowing Beyond or really high Stealth. (That doesn't mean you necessarily want either of these things.)

Generally speaking, dual-wielding becomes better the more damage modifiers you can add to their base damage, but can have problems overcoming DR without them.

I think the weapons are pretty well-balanced overall, but Stilettos and Estocs stand a bit above the rest due to their high DR bypass. Also Sabres, as mentioned, if you can take advantage of their high base damage. Slashing weapons are resisted fairly often, so keep some backup weapons around if you use them. Flails and all weapons with accuracy bonuses are especially interesting if you want to hit with secondary effects (like Knock Down).
I wouldn't use Battle Axes, Rods and Crossbows unless their special properties are a lot better than whatever else you've got available. Rods and Crossbows just aren't that good, numbers-wise, and the Battle Axe's extra crit damage is overshadowed by Sabres (also Maces and Stilettos), which always deal extra damage.

All my Wizards, Druids and Priests end up dual-wielding Hatchets when forced to melee, while otherwise shooting some fast ranged weapon, mainly due to recovery speed concerns.

Edit: Speed is a concern for Ciphers, too, which is why I have them dual-wielding fast weapons when meleeing.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 31, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Here's a question: I know it's more hardcore to do a "kill everyone and everything" mode solo, but what happens if you pick up companions and then kill them at the end? Is there a point at which they're like "this is wrong and we're going to stop you"?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Draile posted:

Fast mode is not working properly for me. When I start up the game it works fine, but it quickly stops working. I can still toggle fast mode, but it's no faster than normal. Has anyone else experienced this?

I don't know if this is related, but earlier I posted about something that's still happening to me; every time I start the game, there's roughly a 50/50 chance whether it will run smooth and fast or slow and choppy. I've tried forcing 60fps and messing with all the other graphic options and they don't seem to actually make a difference. Hell I can't even tell a visual difference between the highest and lowest graphics settings, but to be fair I haven't looked that hard.

It's just really weird and frustrating, because Unity is so junky. :\

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

precision posted:

I don't know if this is related, but earlier I posted about something that's still happening to me; every time I start the game, there's roughly a 50/50 chance whether it will run smooth and fast or slow and choppy. I've tried forcing 60fps and messing with all the other graphic options and they don't seem to actually make a difference. Hell I can't even tell a visual difference between the highest and lowest graphics settings, but to be fair I haven't looked that hard.

Yeah I can't tell what lowering the graphics does other than speed up the game.

X_Toad posted:

You don't need to do the quest to find out that detail, one of her dialogue nodes tell the story of one of their elders who reincarnated into a polar bear and the huntress who had to recite half of its past life's deeds while running away from it.

That rules.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

precision posted:

I think it is related. I've noticed that after playing for a while, the game suddenly starts to lag and become choppy, and that's when fast mode stops working.

I am running the Mac GOG version.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I bought this on release but I'm only just getting around to playing it through for the first time now. I played all the IE games multiple times.

Are there any classes to avoid having as a PC? I don't want to end up with the POE version of a Wizard Slayer or something. At the same time, are there any so powerful that they trivialise the game, Kensai/Mage or Zerker/Mage style? Or can I pretty much pick anything and have fun?

edit: I did a bit of research on the POE forums but couldn't find a consensus beyond "paladins were a bit bad before the patch", which I take as an encouraging sign, but I thought I'd ask just in case I'd missed something.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 31, 2015

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Zephro posted:

I bought this on release but I'm only just getting around to playing it through for the first time now. I played all the IE games multiple times.

Are there any classes to avoid having as a PC? I don't want to end up with the POE version of a Wizard Slayer or something. At the same time, are there any so powerful that they trivialise the game, Kensai/Mage or Zerker/Mage style? Or can I pretty much pick anything and have fun?

edit: I did a bit of research on the POE forums but couldn't find a consensus beyond "paladins were a bit bad before the patch", which I take as an encouraging sign, but I thought I'd ask just in case I'd missed something.

I guess Cipher is considered the most powerful class overall (or at least at launch before they got somewhat nerfed) but they're all fairly balanced.

For a non-POTD run, just go with whatever sounds cool and don't worry too much about talents. There are no barbarian, monk, or rogue companions.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Zephro posted:

One thing to note is that there is no companion Barbarian, Monk, or Rogue. If you play as one of them then you won't overlap with any of the companions, and conversely if you don't pick one of them then you'll lose out on seeing that class at all.

Re: rogue weapon choices from before: Personally I've tried dual wielding, Estoc, the various split damage 2H, and then now settled on the +range 2H weapons. IMO Backstab and Shadowing Beyond are not reliable enough to be feasible on a normal playthrough (if ever), and it's better to just take your Sneak Attack and various +25% damage/debuff attacks and stand naked behind your tank nuking people.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Also don't worry about playing as a squishy character, you meet a fighter shortly after the start of the game who makes a pretty good tank.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Krowley posted:

For a non-POTD run, just go with whatever sounds cool and don't worry too much about talents. There are no barbarian, monk, or rogue companions.
I thought the consensus was that you shouldn't worry about attributes but that talents and abilities were rather important?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Seashell Salesman posted:

One thing to note is that there is no companion Barbarian, Monk, or Rogue. If you play as one of them then you won't overlap with any of the companions, and conversely if you don't pick one of them then you'll lose out on seeing that class at all.

Even then doubling up on a class is not really a concern, the only thing that might have been bad is two Paladins with the exact same aura, but between the Paladin changes and the ability to level companions from level 1 now it's not an issue. If you want to try out a class you can always hire one at an inn.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Scorchy posted:

Even then doubling up on a class is not really a concern, the only thing that might have been bad is two Paladins with the exact same aura, but between the Paladin changes and the ability to level companions from level 1 now it's not an issue. If you want to try out a class you can always hire one at an inn.

The ability to level companions from level 1? Do you mean I can respec Palegina out of her terrible first 4 levels?

e:

X_Toad posted:

I thought the consensus was that you shouldn't worry about attributes but that talents and abilities were rather important?

Attributes are really important, and there seems to be very little drawback to heavily specializing in the few good ones for what you're doing.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

X_Toad posted:

Well, talents do define your playstyle in a way, but unless you're the kind that sperg out about optimal play (because you're playing POTD and/or soloing) then just take whatever sounds cool

You'll probably never feel like you're gimping yourself beyond playability anyway

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Alright, thanks for the tips :)

I've narrowed it down to fighter or druid. Think I'll flip a coin.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Seashell Salesman posted:

The ability to level companions from level 1? Do you mean I can respec Palegina out of her terrible first 4 levels?

e:

Attributes are really important, and there seems to be very little drawback to heavily specializing in the few good ones for what you're doing.

There's a new option when you start a game where you can manually level the npcs you recruit, their first level choices are pre set but the rest of the levels you can go nuts with.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

There's a new option when you start a game where you can manually level the npcs you recruit, their first level choices are pre set but the rest of the levels you can go nuts with.

Oh I had already been leveling my companions from when I get them. It would be cool if I could get them before they locked I/3 of their level ups into random junk :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Zephro posted:

Alright, thanks for the tips :)

I've narrowed it down to fighter or druid. Think I'll flip a coin.

There is a lot more to do as a druid, its much more active in terms of abilities, choosing aoe zones etc.

Fighter is very much just getting in position and staying there.

I played my first run as a druid and felt very glad I picked it.

• Locked thread