Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I know you did. :) I just wanted to expand on it for people who were unaware of the dangers their cat might pose to other species. There was this whole great big discussion about how the cat might get sick or die and only a single person briefly mentioned the wildlife impact.

Back on topic: People who humblebrag about the dinner they just made on Facebook. "What did you guys make tonight? I'm feeling lazy so I just whipped up a little pumpkin risotto with a Parmesan reduction and some slow-cooked short ribs with a kale and walnut salad. Ugh I need to go to the grocery store so badly!" Yes okay I totally believe this is just another meal that you make for yourself every evening.

On the flip side, people who seem to take pride in the fact that they still eat like toddlers. "Cheese pizza and hotdogs again tonight! Love the classics :) ". I have a facebook friend who literally just posts pictures of her bland rear end beige food every day like it's some achievement to eat like a picky child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
People at places like Chipotle, with the glass barrier/sneeze-guard, that stretch as far as the can to look over it and point directly down at the food.

Just use words, I dont want your gross body dusting my food.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People who complain about thread derailing, so instead of two or three people having a short off-topic conversation that's easy to scroll past you have a dozen people repeatedly telling those three to shut up and then a bunch more telling those people and each other to shut up and dragging the whole thing out much longer than it ever would have been if everyone just ignored it.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Jobsworths. I dunno if that word makes sense to anyone outside the UK. But it's basically people who take their job SUPER SERIOUSLY to the point of basically living and breathing the policies of whatever company they work for.

Example: While at uni working part time in a supermarket earning minimum wage, there was a "supervisor" the same age as me who earned an extra 21p an hour that used to try and get all the grocery staff to line up before the start of a shift and examine wether we were "worthy enough for our customers" (essentially see if we were following the dress code to the point) Naturally, he was told in no uncertain terms to gently caress off by most members of staff. I should add that no other supervisor done this, it wasn't like a specific part of the daily duties he had to carry out. He was just being a tool.

Or people in those types of jobs that spew the "we care about our customers.", "customers come first" or "gotta look super cheery for our customers.

gently caress off, nobody cares about the customer. The customer doesn't even care about the customer. They just want to get their poo poo and go home and not have to put up with loving tedious small talk. "I HOPE YOU HAVE A SUPER DAY ". gently caress off.

I realise this is a British way of looking at things at there will be a few Americans taken aback by the above comments because you guys take your customer service really loving seriously.

Also, people that address you "sir" or "ma'am. Nobody, NOBODY in Scotland refers to each other as sir or ma'am, so it's pandering as loving when someone in a shop or in a call centre refers to you as this. I'm not an Edwardian gentleman walking about with a loving monocle.

Thankfully, I don't work in customer service anymore.

Thrifting Day! has a new favorite as of 07:24 on May 29, 2015

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

reformed bad troll posted:

Also, people that address you "sir" or "ma'am. Nobody, NOBODY in Scotland refers to each other as sir or ma'am, so it's pandering as loving when someone in a shop or in a call centre refers to you as this. I'm not an Edwardian gentleman walking about with a loving monocle.

Thankfully, I don't work in customer service anymore.

In Australia when people in customer service call you sir or ma'am it's only because they couldn't call you a oval office without getting fired.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I hate it when people stare at me at the gym. I'm not doing anything unusual or spectacular (and I don't grunt, scream, or wear inappropriate clothing, so that's not it), just using the weights and machines the way they're intended. But every so often I'll glance in the mirror and some mouth-breather will just be sitting there between sets, staring. I don't think it's on purpose--a movement catches your eye and you happen to be resting, so you just don't bother to look away after the initial glance. They're not leering or being pervy, just staring, usually with their mouths open. I don't mind if people glance over to see what I'm doing--I've gotten ideas on new moves that way--but after you figure it out, go back to your workout and stop staring!

Like I said, I think it's an unintentional innocent mistake--they probably don't realize they're staring--but it's unnerving after a while. Can I just do my workout in peace?

I've got friends who like to call themselves the "form factor"; they're usually watching the form of other gym members and making sure they're performing exercises safely and correctly. That's possibly what is happening here: You might have lovely form and so you've unknowingly attracted the attention of somebody who has your best interests in mind.

There's this guy, Dunston, who will literally sneak up on gym-goers like a phantom, ambushing people with spots and surprise-motivation. Dude's a machine, and the gym is honestly better off for it.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Something happened, meantime, something else happened.

I've even heard "in the meanwhile". Come on.

In the meantime OR meanwhile.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Panniculus Rift posted:

I don't live in the USA though, and there are no native species being threatened by cats here.

Not to poo poo on you or be smug or anything like that, but I would be really surprised if this was true, unless you live on the Moon.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Jobsworths. I dunno if that word makes sense to anyone outside the UK. But it's basically people who take their job SUPER SERIOUSLY to the point of basically living and breathing the policies of whatever company they work for.

Example: While at uni working part time in a supermarket earning minimum wage, there was a "supervisor" the same age as me who earned an extra 21p an hour that used to try and get all the grocery staff to line up before the start of a shift and examine wether we were "worthy enough for our customers" (essentially see if we were following the dress code to the point) Naturally, he was told in no uncertain terms to gently caress off by most members of staff. I should add that no other supervisor done this, it wasn't like a specific part of the daily duties he had to carry out. He was just being a tool.

This isn't a real life example, but I got a good laugh at the mod in the Book Barn bragging about how he looked up what guns Orcs use in Warhammer when someone sent in a report over another poster saying Orcs used handguns (or something equally stupid). He told this story as if we're supposed to pat him on the back and be amazed at what a great mod he is for going through the trouble of reading dozens of wikis trying to figure out if the guy was really trolling, but, instead, he just came across as a pathetic loser who has nothing better to do with his life than settle an online pissing match about Orcs between two equally stupid and obnoxious nerds.

There are some things that are worth putting effort into, and some things that aren't, and the mark of a good employee/volunteer is whether they know the difference.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
People who overexplain things.

'Hey I'm about to leave for the day, you're not in next week so is there anything I'm going to need to pick up?'
'Yeah, come take a look at this sheet. What I need is an income forecast here.'
'Ok, I've done this already and it's easy enough. Send me it and I'll pick it up Monday.'

That was all that needed to be said, but no, please go on for a half hour about the finer details of this spreadsheet I have completed every quarter for the last year. And make sure to repeat points I have made to you in this very conversation like you have just thought of it.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've got friends who like to call themselves the "form factor"; they're usually watching the form of other gym members and making sure they're performing exercises safely and correctly. That's possibly what is happening here: You might have lovely form and so you've unknowingly attracted the attention of somebody who has your best interests in mind.

There's this guy, Dunston, who will literally sneak up on gym-goers like a phantom, ambushing people with spots and surprise-motivation. Dude's a machine, and the gym is honestly better off for it.

Possible, but unlikely. They look like they're just resting, eyes glazed over and mouth open, and just forgot to point their eyes elsewhere. Anytime I make eye contact, they realize what's going on and pick back up where they left off.

Also, your friend sounds like a butthole. Or is that :thejoke:?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've got friends who like to call themselves the "form factor";

Stopped reading there. Retards

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Who the gently caress decides to hold loving ComicCon in loving MAY in Phoenix?

100+ temperatures in costume. Sounds great.

Also, gently caress meetings on Fridays. Hey Cowslips you worked 8 hours without a lunch, why not stay an extra hour so we can talk about safety? And then in four weeks everyone meets on a Saturday to discuss safety too! Awesome! Any reason why we can't loving conference call this poo poo?

And when "freedom of speech" becomes slang for "I will be a racist shitheel and you can't tolerate my intolerance!" There is a loving Draw Mohammed contest going on tonight in front of a loving mosque during the evening prayer. The organizer, who has been interviewed by every local news station, insists he doesn't hate "those people" but he is going to draw out ISIS members while he shows off his freedom of speech. He also advises everyone to come armed.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Cowslips Warren posted:

And when "freedom of speech" becomes slang for "I will be a racist shitheel and you can't tolerate my intolerance!"

Freedom of speech has always been about being tolerant of unpopular speech. The right would be utterly pointless if it only protected socially acceptable speech.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Back on topic: People who humblebrag about the dinner they just made on Facebook. "What did you guys make tonight? I'm feeling lazy so I just whipped up a little pumpkin risotto with a Parmesan reduction and some slow-cooked short ribs with a kale and walnut salad. Ugh I need to go to the grocery store so badly!" Yes okay I totally believe this is just another meal that you make for yourself every evening.

I gotta admit. I'm one of these guys. I just got way into cooking and I get super proud of the stuff I make. I don't try to be a sick about it, though.

I guess my pet peeve is when people call me out as one of "those guys". I don't think I'm like that. I'm just excited to have learned a new skill and I wanna share that with friends.

People that take pictures of restaurant food can gently caress right off, though.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

grittyreboot posted:

I gotta admit. I'm one of these guys. I just got way into cooking and I get super proud of the stuff I make. I don't try to be a sick about it, though.

I guess my pet peeve is when people call me out as one of "those guys". I don't think I'm like that. I'm just excited to have learned a new skill and I wanna share that with friends.

People that take pictures of restaurant food can gently caress right off, though.

If it helps, there are some of us out there (like me) who love seeing your creations. I also like seeing people's progress at the gym or whatever. I also don't mind outfit of the day, makeup of the day, a DIY project you just finished, whatever. You can keep your kid's lovely diaper offscreen, though (and yes, people actually do this).

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Maggie Fletcher posted:

If it helps, there are some of us out there (like me) who love seeing your creations. I also like seeing people's progress at the gym or whatever. I also don't mind outfit of the day, makeup of the day, a DIY project you just finished, whatever. You can keep your kid's lovely diaper offscreen, though (and yes, people actually do this).

JAYDYNN'S FIRST POO!!! #socute #momsrock

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Or people in those types of jobs that spew the "we care about our customers.", "customers come first" or "gotta look super cheery for our customers.

gently caress off, nobody cares about the customer. The customer doesn't even care about the customer. They just want to get their poo poo and go home and not have to put up with loving tedious small talk. "I HOPE YOU HAVE A SUPER DAY ". gently caress off.

I realise this is a British way of looking at things at there will be a few Americans taken aback by the above comments because you guys take your customer service really loving seriously.

No, I'm American and I get it. When I go into the bank/store/whatever I'm there to accomplish a task and get back to doing whatever other more important and enjoyable things I have to do that day. If you want me to find out about your super-duper company credit card, put a sign up and, if I'm interested, I'll ask about it myself because I'm an adult with functioning eyes. I don't need to be asked if I want to sign up or if I know about your loan program every single time I come in. If I have a question about a product I'll ask it, otherwise the only thing I'm thinking about is getting on with my life.

Small talk I don't mind, but being on the other side of the whole "Let the customer know you care about their needs by offering them our poo poo!" has really made the product offers and such stand out as grating.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

People caring about what other people name their kids. Do you want a list of a dozen acceptable names everyone has to stick to or something? What's even wrong with calling your child Brayden or Apple or whatever. It's just a name, it's not important.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

You're right, it's not something that child has to write on every homework assignment, credit card receipt, or legal document for the next 80 years or anything.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

walrusman posted:

You're right, it's not something that child has to write on every homework assignment, credit card receipt, or legal document for the next 80 years or anything.

So?

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Tiggum posted:

People caring about what other people name their kids. Do you want a list of a dozen acceptable names everyone has to stick to or something? What's even wrong with calling your child Brayden or Apple or whatever. It's just a name, it's not important.
Because they're not pets, they'll care what their name is. Apple isn't a name either, it's a fruit.

Also, if you give someone a stupid special snowflake name like "Jaxon" or "Madisynn," everyone's gonna spell their name the normal way and it'll be a huge pain in the rear end to have to correct them every single time.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

There's nothing particularly wrong with choosing an uncommon name for your kid, but when you just throw some Y's in there for the sole purpose of making it a "unique" name it's just obnoxious. Yes it's just a name but it's going to be your kid's identity, at least until they're able to legally change it. Naming your kid soda or seven or something is just setting them up to be made fun of their whole lives. It's mattering less now with schools filled with laykyns and Brimatthews etc, but is it really so much to ask to take naming the kid seriously and stop pressing your special snowflake mentality on to them? If you want a silly/cute name, get a pet and name them that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Celery Face posted:

Because they're not pets, they'll care what their name is. Apple isn't a name either, it's a fruit.
And "Rose" is a flower. What's your point?

Celery Face posted:

Also, if you give someone a stupid special snowflake name like "Jaxon" or "Madisynn," everyone's gonna spell their name the normal way and it'll be a huge pain in the rear end to have to correct them every single time.
Oh no, that must be the worst thing that could ever happen to anyone! People spell my name wrong all the time, it's really not an issue.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Naming your kid soda or seven or something is just setting them up to be made fun of their whole lives.
Is it though? People say that, but does it actually make a difference? Do kids with unusual names get bullied or picked on more than kids with more conventional names?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Is it though? People say that, but does it actually make a difference? Do kids with unusual names get bullied or picked on more than kids with more conventional names?

Kids aren't stupid. There was a girl in my class when I was 7 called Florence and she got bullied out the school. That's a relatively normal name.

If you think that a class full of Ryan's, David's and Steven's are not going to pick up on even relatively subtle stupid names you are wrong.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kids aren't stupid. There was a girl in my class when I was 7 called Florence and she got bullied out the school. That's a relatively normal name.

That's my point though? Having a normal name doesn't change whether you'll be bullied or not.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Your name is generally going to be the first thing people see on your resume, and like it or not, potential employers can make some snap judgments based on that. It sucks, but Madysynn may not exactly inspire confidence. Hell, I have an unusual name (though it is an actual name and not just something my folks made up), and though I've come to like it, I've had to explain to plenty of people that I was actually born here, my parents are simply weird hippies. I'm just saying, it must be nice to have a name you don't have to explain.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

My peeve this week is an ancient one. I really can't stand it when posters who should know better fall for obvious trolls.

They're trolls, people. It's a gimmick. They're trying to get a rise out of you. Just ignore them and move on :eng99:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
People who quote themselves thinking that what they said is interesting, intelligent or relevant to the discussion. There's a reason people ignored you the first time.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Irish Joe posted:

Freedom of speech has always been about being tolerant of unpopular speech. The right would be utterly pointless if it only protected socially acceptable speech.

On the other side of this, when someone blatantly does something stupid or offensive and acts surprised when someone else attacks them for it. Case in point, the Texas Muhammad drawing contest - especially when the idiots know they're provoking someone for the sake of attention and pissing someone off, then put out the disclaimer of "bring your guns, the Muslims might attack us!"

No poo poo Sherlock, way to prove you're a bunch of redneck hillbilly retards with zero common sense. People like that are the reason Americans are perceived as lovely, arrogant, thoughtless idiots in other countries. Way to go! :downs:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ozz81 posted:

No poo poo Sherlock, way to prove you're a bunch of redneck hillbilly retards with zero common sense. People like that are the reason Americans are perceived as lovely, arrogant, thoughtless idiots in other countries. Way to go! :downs:

Other countries don't perceive us that way at all, and I sincerely doubt anyone outside the United States has heard of the Texas protest.

That said, drawing pictures of Mohammed when there is a very real threat of being murdered by religious fanatics is stupid and provocative, but its also brave and necessary to protect our freedom of speech. We shouldn't tolerate violent muslims any more than we tolerate the Christians who murdered Matthew Shepard.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Irish Joe posted:

Other countries don't perceive us that way at all, and I sincerely doubt anyone outside the United States has heard of the Texas protest.

That said, drawing pictures of Mohammed when there is a very real threat of being murdered by religious fanatics is stupid and provocative, but its also brave and necessary to protect our freedom of speech. We shouldn't tolerate violent muslims any more than we tolerate the Christians who murdered Matthew Shepard.

Do you... really not think countries perceive the US that way?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Irish Joe is a longstanding member of the loving Morons Brigade in good standing, don't bother arguing with it

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Vic Boss posted:

Of course they don't. When most foreigners think of America, they think of Obama, Kanye West and Taylor Swift. And, to be honest, they've got their own nutjobs to worry about to be worrying about ours. The English hate Pakistanis. The French hate gays. The Italians hate blacks. The Swiss hate Muslims. Everybody hates Gypsies. Etc. Etc. Etc. They're not turning on the tv and going "look at those lovely Americans and their beliefs" because the truth of the matter is that they're dealing with the same poo poo back home.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Irish Joe posted:

I'm not sure it's brave to antagonize people, but maybe I'm just a spineless jellyfish that way. :shrug:

Also, my peeve is being so hot I'm almost fainting but hey, can't turn the AC on yet.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

My peeve this week is an ancient one. I really can't stand it when posters who should know better fall for obvious trolls.

They're trolls, people. It's a gimmick. They're trying to get a rise out of you. Just ignore them and move on :eng99:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Vic Boss posted:

Honestly the vast majority of people I've met who go on and on about the stereotypes about "murica" are americans. Since moving to switzerland I've never been met with any other reaction than "oh, is it nice there" or other friendly small talk when I tell people where I'm from. It's kind of embarrassing seeing the self-hating americans who just moved to europe try and "fit in" by poo poo-talking america in every conversation - most people just don't seem to care.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Murphy Brownback posted:

Honestly the vast majority of people I've met who go on and on about the stereotypes about "murica" are americans. Since moving to switzerland I've never been met with any other reaction than "oh, is it nice there" or other friendly small talk when I tell people where I'm from. It's kind of embarrassing seeing the self-hating americans who just moved to europe try and "fit in" by poo poo-talking america in every conversation - most people just don't seem to care.

I think it's a remnant of the Bush years , when the kinds of Americans who know other countries exist (and that the entire world outside of the US is not some oppressive, freedom-less hellhole) were deeply embarrassed by the president and the overall national sentiment of "if you're not with us 100% you're a terrorist who hates freedom".

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"

Murphy Brownback posted:

I'm from Canada and I think that way about 'murica

then again I have to deal with former mayor Rob Ford, so :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Anytime "Can You Blame Me" or "Get It" by Matt and Kim comes on the radio, I am filled with white-hot rage. I hadn't heard of them until a few months ago, but holy poo poo, what an annoying voice. And "Get It" sounds like some sort of school project Gene Belcher would make on Bob's Burgers, but played as a legit pop song.