Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
This is going about as frustratingly as I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it'd be 14 all now if the ref wasn't guessing

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

bowmore posted:

it'd be 14 all now if the ref wasn't guessing

That wasn't a try, but you've had more than enough charity penalties to make up for it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
all the penalties have been fair, you guys need to be less lazy in the ruck

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
sweet, we won by 2 points

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

2 EZ :smugdog::pipe:

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
I'll take the two points, but we really should have won by more. Tuimavave did nothing to make me regret letting him go.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

I was really, really wrong a few years back when I criticised the retention of Vatuvei.

He's pretty polarising, since his errors are often really, really mindblowingly bad, but then he does unreal stuff in the very same game.

Basically he's a microcosm of the warriors

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Impressive by Ennis to kick it that sideways

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

cpaf posted:

He's pretty polarising, since his errors are often really, really mindblowingly bad, but then he does unreal stuff in the very same game.

Basically he's a microcosm of the warriors

Manu got his poo poo together in a big way about three years ago, when he dropped a bunch of weight while training for a charity boxing match. Over the past two years he's been Really loving Good. The error rate has plumetted and he gets us big metres on kick returns that get our sets off to great starts. He's up there with Mannering as one of our best and most consistent these days.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You'd wanna hope he was one of your most consistent after 200 games for your club

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
:getin: What a great 2nd half performance. Keeping Warrington scoreless for 40 minutes is no mean feat.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Storm vs Roosters would be amazing if not for the loving terrible refereeing, jesus christ

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Just want to thank the Roosters again for letting Tuivasa-Sheck come play for us next year.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Red_Museum posted:

Just want to thank the Roosters again for letting Tuivasa-Sheck come play for us next year.

Jim Doyle deserves a knighthood for what he's achieved in six months. Dean Bell is gone, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Isaac Luke are in for next year and the council is listening to us on Mt Smart Stadium.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

What the gently caress?

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Ryan Hinchcliffe playing the ball backwards is basically representative of the storm in this game

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I tried googling but when was the last time the storm were kept tryless?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I'm sure this will come as a surprise to us all but DCE is staying with the Eagles.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder how much extra they had to pay him

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

What a shocking development that nobody saw coming.

The round thirteen rule was idiotic and it's good that they're looking to get rid of it.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Looks like Manly offered him a "lifetime contract". Not sure how that works in regard to salary cap.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently the contract is in the vicinity of $10 million over the next 6 years.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

iajanus posted:

What a shocking development that nobody saw coming.

The round thirteen rule was idiotic and it's good that they're looking to get rid of it.

What is idiotic is clubs can sign people years out from their contract ending.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Burn Down Canberra posted:

What is idiotic is clubs can sign people years out from their contract ending.

Let's not limit the stupidity to just one thing. There's plenty to go around.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Titans are probably better off without that wanker in the long term anyway, building a team around one player is dumb as hell. The real damage is they've let Sezer and Myles go, imo

They'll pick up Sandow for cheap I guess, maybe splash out for some potent attackers. Surely they must have some contingency since everyone saw this coming.

Hopefully the overall karmic response to this is Manly continues to be a team full of stars at the bottom of the ladder. gently caress Manly.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

iajanus posted:

Let's not limit the stupidity to just one thing. There's plenty to go around.

Agreed I'm a big fan of either a transfer window or an nfl style free agency period at the end of the year. The tigers fans were hosed twice by the raiders and the raiders broke no rules.

Yeah tedesco back flipped but the raiders signed Austin a year before his contract was up to force them into releasing him early.

All fans should care about is what's going on the field. They shouldn't have half the loving roster already signed for another team next year. That's unfair on fans.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in the 3 month trading period camp, all contracts must be done from November 1st and finalised January 31st.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

I'm in the 3 month trading period camp, all contracts must be done from November 1st and finalised January 31st.

That, or all contracts must go into effect immediately. I want a scenario where a player has to switch teams immediately upon signing and teams could theoretically buy a bunch of great players before an important match and then sell them straight after.

How could that go wrong :v:?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Or you could have all players on a rent per game basis

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Warriors have re-signed Kata, Lisone, Lolohea and Toafofoa Sipley long term :woop:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Warriors are going to be the team to beat next year.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

bowmore posted:

We're certainly building a strong squad, will be infuriating to see how we contrive to squander leads and lose to scrubby teams like Gold Coast next season.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

bowmore posted:

You don't know how many times I've thought this.

Seriously, it doesn't seem to matter how good we look on paper, we always seem to gently caress it up somehow. In saying that we are going to have one of the strongest squads we've had and I have high hopes but still feel we'll struggle with our centres and lack of depth in the halves. I know a lot of Warriors supporters that think Townsend is decent but he's not good enough to be in a side with top four aspirations.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Ewar Woowar posted:

You don't know how many times I've thought this.

Seriously, it doesn't seem to matter how good we look on paper, we always seem to gently caress it up somehow. In saying that we are going to have one of the strongest squads we've had and I have high hopes but still feel we'll struggle with our centres and lack of depth in the halves. I know a lot of Warriors supporters that think Townsend is decent but he's not good enough to be in a side with top four aspirations.

Townsend has asked for and been granted a release on compassionate grounds at the end of the season. His Mother in Law has terminal cancer (or some similar situation involving a relative and terminal illness). He's going back to Sydney, most likely Cronulla. Our standoff will be Leuleuai or Lolohea.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

bowmore posted:

The gap between the end of season (especially if you're playing test matches after the season) and pre-Christmas training isn't long enough for contract negotiations. Unless they shorten the season, we're going to have to deal with this. American sports can have a free agent signing period because they have long enough breaks between seasons.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Smorgasbord posted:

Warriors have re-signed Kata, Lisone, Lolohea and Toafofoa Sipley long term :woop:

Has Albert Vete been resigned yet? His runs off the bench have been pretty good also.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jono C posted:

The gap between the end of season (especially if you're playing test matches after the season) and pre-Christmas training isn't long enough for contract negotiations. Unless they shorten the season, we're going to have to deal with this. American sports can have a free agent signing period because they have long enough breaks between seasons.
Maybe we need to shorten the season by a month.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Auditore posted:

Has Albert Vete been resigned yet? His runs off the bench have been pretty good also.

I don't think so, he was only signed on a 1 year deal for this season. Hopefully we can make it happen since he's been great. Trouble is his market value is rising with every game especially with the dire state of some team's front row stocks.

3 year deals for Lolohea, Kata, Lisone through 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Townsend has asked for and been granted a release on compassionate grounds at the end of the season. His Mother in Law has terminal cancer (or some similar situation involving a relative and terminal illness). He's going back to Sydney, most likely Cronulla. Our standoff will be Leuleuai or Lolohea.

Oh I didn't know that.

Hmm Lolohea is pretty good but I haven't seen much of his kicking game. Leuleuai is a handy player but again, not sure he's good enough if we're really going to make a run at the title. If we can pick up a quality centre (who knows how to defend) I'll be much more confident.

• Locked thread