Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Lol what kind of bait-and-switch post is this? You're pulling your hair out over something you yourself did to the phone? You had to have known people would just say "Take it to fruit stand" if you left out the details of your tinkering initially, which you did.

No, I didn't. It wasn't working before I changed the charging port otherwise I wouldn't have done so. Read properly before you start chatting poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Onion Vanguard posted:

No, I didn't. It wasn't working before I changed the charging port otherwise I wouldn't have done so. Read properly before you start chatting poo poo.

No, he's still correct, if your fix for a part not working on an iPhone is to swap it yourself, you are always doing it at the risk that it just bricks the whole phone. Because now your phone is still not working and Apple will tell you to gently caress off since you opened your phone.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
lol at someone seriously opting to crack their phone open to try and fix something because they don't want to wait in line at an apple store. Then having it still be broken, and coming here in search of some solution. Your poo poo is hosed dude, and now Apple won't even repair it for you, so enjoy buying a new phone.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Then that's all you lot have to say since I came here asking for advice. Way to be cunts though! :D

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Try contacting whomever you bought the replacement part from and see if they'll send you another. It's not uncommon that third party sellers have bad parts sometimes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

POCKET CHOMP posted:

lol at someone seriously opting to crack their phone open to try and fix something because they don't want to wait in line at an apple store. Then having it still be broken, and coming here in search of some solution. Your poo poo is hosed dude, and now Apple won't even repair it for you, so enjoy buying a new phone.
There's plenty of third party shops that will try to fix it, but I'm betting that if replacing the port didn't fix it, I'm betting the solution will be to replace the logic board, at which point, yeah, may as well buy a new phone.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
So I got an old iPod Touch 4G from work and TIL that iOS 6 sort of supports icloud photo library--your library is just downloaded as your photo stream.

I had to turn it off though because I need that ~6gb of space for music :v:

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I had to set all of my iOS devices to "optimize" the storage, except for my iPhone 6+, which is the only one with the space for my 15GB Photos library.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

fletcher posted:

I'm on Windows so I bought iExplorer over the weekend to export all my stuff before I switched to an S6, worked like a charm. I had to install iTunes to use it but I was able to export everything I wanted from my phone.

I bought this and am happy with it. Exported a bunch of data for a pending thing with no issues whatsoever. Thanks for the recommendation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is unlikely, but Is there some way to separate texts from being in the same list? I get a lot group of texts from my squeaky clean work place and am worried I'm going to accidentally send something offensive to them while trying to text a friend. Like, just some way to put my work texts into an entirely different list would be great.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
via jailbreak yes, otherwise I think you'll just have to try renaming an unimportant member of your work group contacts to a bunch of ❌❌❌❌❌❌❌ emoji.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sort of blowing my mind that today is WWDC. This last year has gone by way too fast.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

This is unlikely, but Is there some way to separate texts from being in the same list? I get a lot group of texts from my squeaky clean work place and am worried I'm going to accidentally send something offensive to them while trying to text a friend. Like, just some way to put my work texts into an entirely different list would be great.
Get a Google Voice number and give that to your work so your GV texts come through the GV app? (Or Hangouts, I guess.)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Dave posted:

Sort of blowing my mind that today is WWDC. This last year has gone by way too fast.
Blowing my mind how little talk I've seen about WWDC more than anything else.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

Eh, most of the chatter regarding WWDC is that iOS9 will be a housekeeping update which isn't exactly exciting. Neither is a revamped Beats Music subscription service. At least, they're not that exciting taken at face value but there's been so few surprises in the last few years worth of Apple events that there's no reason not to take them at face value.

(I take that back a bit as there's been huge surprises with Apple computers and laptops (retina Macbooks, the new Macbook, the new Mac Pro and mega-slim iMacs) but generally not anymore with their devices as are typically called out well in advance)

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Did they just not make a big deal about it this year given that we're not expecting something majorly new or have I been living under a rock for the past few months?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

RhoA posted:

Did they just not make a big deal about it this year given that we're not expecting something majorly new or have I been living under a rock for the past few months?

I've felt the same thing for the past couple of years, and concluded it's likely that 'tech blogs' are getting less mileage out of writing 10 articles for every Apple announcement, and so without any substance to the announcements they're not so ubiquitously all over the place like they once were.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Apple already had huge hardware release events with the Watch and the new MacBooks so it's understandable this is a bit more low key.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren: WWDC time! :siren:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Well I guess I'm switching banks (always knew my bank was garbage and wouldn't support it). Thank you UK for finally getting Apple Pay!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Well I guess I'm switching banks (always knew my bank was garbage and wouldn't support it). Thank you UK for finally getting Apple Pay!

You guys are lucky. Your country is apparently already ahead of the curve with NFC readers on most POS things.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Crossposting. Thought it may be of interest here:

I am trying the 14 day free trial of WALTR. It is a Mac App that you plug your phone into your mac and drag any of like, basically ANY file types to. (AVI, AC3, MKV, FLAC... whatever) and it kinda just quickly fills up a progress bar. (48 minute 720p TV show took like 15 seconds for me?) And then that file shows up in it's respective *NATIVE* app.

So MKV movies and tv shows... in "Videos".

Anything Audio... in "Music".

Here's why I'm bothering you: A single license is 30 bucks. I may loving do this. I have more money than time (or sense...) and I like improving my life. BUT, right now, a family license (5) is 80 bucks.
Divide 80 by 5. Carry the 1...
Math...
Math...
16 Rupees Dollars a person.

Much more palatable.

Anyone interested? I don't mind taking the lead. I do suggest you try the trial first. Make sure you like it.

http://softorino.com/waltr

Video: MKV & AVI (includes subtitle support: .srt & .rear end), MOV, MP4, M4V, 3GP, WMV;

Audio: MP3, FLAC, APE, ALAC, M4R, AAC, M4B, AIFF, WAV, WMA, CUE, OGG, OGA, WV, TTA, DFF;

*Experimental support: FLV, M2TS, TS;

PM me or username @ gmail if interested. :)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I bought a single person user license recently. It IS a bit steep but I love the app.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
I've got an ATT iPhone 5S I'd like to use in Europe (UK, Spain, Denmark) while on vacation. It seems the easiest thing to do is to buy a cheap sim/data plan while there. However, I don't think my phone is unlocked and I'm leaving in a couple of days. I've found a bunch of cheap unlocks on eBay, that seem sorta legit and promise a quick turnaround. Are these legit? Any precautions I should take? Or other recommendations for unlocking. Pretty positive the phone is paid off and everything.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Khablam posted:

I've felt the same thing for the past couple of years, and concluded it's likely that 'tech blogs' are getting less mileage out of writing 10 articles for every Apple announcement, and so without any substance to the announcements they're not so ubiquitously all over the place like they once were.

That's a good point. It even seems that the Apple centered new sites are writing less and less articles about the WWDC these days.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Onion Vanguard posted:

Then that's all you lot have to say since I came here asking for advice. Way to be cunts though! :D

Way to be stubborn about the hole you dug yourself into!

Short of showing a photo of your solder job nobody can help you here.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I get a string of suggestions for words where the middle letter is capitalized for no reason whatsoever. This is both on the default keyboard and with Swype. Why does this happen?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

hbf posted:

I've got an ATT iPhone 5S I'd like to use in Europe (UK, Spain, Denmark) while on vacation. It seems the easiest thing to do is to buy a cheap sim/data plan while there. However, I don't think my phone is unlocked and I'm leaving in a couple of days. I've found a bunch of cheap unlocks on eBay, that seem sorta legit and promise a quick turnaround. Are these legit? Any precautions I should take? Or other recommendations for unlocking. Pretty positive the phone is paid off and everything.

If it's off contract and all that jazz just submit an unlock request through the AT&T unlock portal on their website.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

spongeworthy posted:

If it's off contract and all that jazz just submit an unlock request through the AT&T unlock portal on their website.

any idea how long it takes? Guy at the store basically said it could take over a week, but sometimes is a day. Leaving the country in a few days.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

hbf posted:

any idea how long it takes? Guy at the store basically said it could take over a week, but sometimes is a day. Leaving the country in a few days.

Mine were all done within the same day if these email logs are anything to go off of.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Sometimes I get a string of suggestions for words where the middle letter is capitalized for no reason whatsoever. This is both on the default keyboard and with Swype. Why does this happen?

I think it's trying to get too clever with the swiping, when you swipe close to the shift key.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

hbf posted:

As posted above, mine were within a couple days as well. Be aware you will need to restore your iOS in order for any unlock to take effect.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Digital Jesus posted:

I think it's trying to get too clever with the swiping, when you swipe close to the shift key.

This is both on the default keyboard and with Swype

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Jose Oquendo posted:

You guys are lucky. Your country is apparently already ahead of the curve with NFC readers on most POS things.
America still uses magnetic stripes, right? I don't think I've ever seen that actually used over here.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

America still uses magnetic stripes, right? I don't think I've ever seen that actually used over here.

99.9% yes. Because of some changes in liability most places are slowly phasing those out for NFC + PIN and chip.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Jose Oquendo posted:

99.9% yes. Because of some changes in liability most places are slowly phasing those out for NFC + PIN and chip.

Only some places are getting/enabling NFC.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I find it surprising Canada wasn't announced for Apple Pay considering how heavily it was rumored and how ubiquitous NFC is here. Every major bank in Canada now gives you a card with NFC whether you want it or not.

It was actually weird going to the states a few years ago and having to use the stripe on my VISA since it had been years since I've needed to use it and not the chip.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

This is both on the default keyboard and with Swype

Same set of words this always happens to or is it completely random?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Until the fall, yes. There has actually been a lot of new POS hardware popping up in the past few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

iOS 9 finally adds lowercase letters to the keyboard.