Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If you missed Frey Pie I'm sorry you're too dumb to understand a guy twirling his mustache going "twas I that baked your family into pies upon which you have just supped!" and then the Freys get so mad a fight breaks out over the very obvious Frey Pies.

Perhaps they can work in a prostitute getting her butthole fingered during that scene so you morons can keep track of what's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
D&D say to blame GRRM for Shireen's death: http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/8/8746169/game-of-thrones-george-martin-shock

quote:

The surprising thing is this decision didn't come from the show's writers, but from George R.R. Martin himself.

"When George first told us about this, it was one of those moments I remember looking at Dan and it was just like that is so horrible, and so good in a story sense because it all comes together," David Benioff, executive producer and writer, said during an "Inside the Episode" short from HBO. They didn't come up with the idea, it's something George described to them, which means it's very likely this will also happen in the books at some point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Stannis going back to full villain is a thing the books have been building up and the was forshadowed in the most painfully unsubtle way possible so duh.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

dogs named Charlie posted:

Book Stannis has Theon's blood.

But Theon's needed to nullify the King's moot. Hmm...

Preston Manning posted:

"So he can burn Asha instead!"

Ah that makes sense. Thanks Preston.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Finally caught up and I feel it's mostly safe to read this thread again. Gotta say that the whole "so much post ADWD stuff this season" poo poo getting tossed out to hype the season has been pretty much nonsense and character consolidation. Sansa's in the north because of character removal. Tyrion's with Dany for the same reason, which also cut out young griff who somehow wasn't important but sending Jamie to Dorne was. The latter is ok because it just gives more opportunity to remind everyone that the Martells have the best bodyguard ever and it's a shame we'll probably never get to see him fight someone on his level, since the only option at this point would probably be Ser Robert Strong.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Delivering a message to Jon Snue.

They deliberately had a "I'm not a messenger" scene to establish that plot convenince since he wasn't sent on Rickon Quest.

e: the show's possibility for Rickon Cannibal King of Skaagos are dwindling and I am very unhappy.

How is Stannis leading an army of sellswords and those sellswords don't immediately turn on the crazy fucker who has them sitting in a blizzard burning his only child? Did he hire Blackwater or what?

Meanwhile this seasn has basically been running with the theme of the Unsullied somehow going from world-class soldiers to "lol look at these fuckers getting wrecked by a nationalist street gang."

Also in the books didn't the Unsullied all have short swords or a gladius or some kind of not-spear weapon for fighting up close and personal? These are soldiers that're supposed to be able to make a Dothraki horde suffer yet the sons of the harpy are kicking their asses in every fight except the one with Grey Worm and Barristan, who dies in a fight because apparently the Unsullied are worthless except for Grey Worm. What sort of eunuch super-spartan soldiers don't carry loving swords? Drop the spears and star stabbing some motherfuckers already and cover each other's backs when fighting the groups that likes to try and grab you and cut your throat.

Then again they just stood there while dudes in the crowd they're watching start putting on masks and somehow one almost got to Dany? Were her Unsullied guards watching the loving match and not her back? If there's a single worst thing to this season it's how loving incompetent the Unsullied have suddenly become.

FreudianSlippers posted:

And here I was hoping that the books would end with Stannis winning the war but almost immediately dying before he had a chance to gently caress things up(more then they already are) and Shireen taking the throne and being the best queen ever with Patchface as hand.

Stannis winning the war would be fantastic because the High Sparrow is not going to be down with the Lord of Light and that means Stannis killed him and the rest of the Westeros Inquisition because holy god that stuff is all so loving dumb. Loras getting arrested by the brothers is stupid as poo poo. He's brother to the queen and surrounded by soldiers who would back him in an instant. The only sparrow who might not get killed by him in seconds is the Lannister and even he's not going to be on the same level as Loras, considering he's compared to people like Barristan and Jamie when they were his age.

The show's not bad but there's no shortage of really dumb poo poo they've done this season. I can forgive a lot of it, though, because making Jon go up north to save the Wildlings and thus having him be present for when the white walkers came for them all was wonderful. Also gave an excuse to show that yes, Valerian steel is dragon steel and will kill white walkers no problem.

That guy thinks it's weird that the outer wall of a castle is lower than an inner wall, or that the walls are designed to have a hugely effective killing field in between them. I'm not sure he knows anything about fighting defensively or the point of secondary defenses. Winterfell's like the Westeros version of Amengar from the Riftwar books. It's an extremely effective fortress design on top of an invaluable resource. If it was built with defenses against the Walkers in mind it wouldn't have a moat between the walls because a moat's not going to do much against an enemy that comes during winter and makes it even colder when they approach. The moat would freeze solid and considering how the snow can apparently get a dozen feet deep up north in the winter, it's not like you'll be able to see poo poo down in there to (re)kill it.

Yes, they had Dany's champion fight Mereen's champion.

But Belwas did it better and there was a big slippery dook.

In the show, isn't the guy who breaks Tyrion's chain basically Belwas? I didn't notice him being heavily scarred in the few seconds you see him but he looked like a token "we're sorry book readers, here's a shout out to to" fill in.

Jorah doing that stupid roll-and-stab made me audibly groan though. I was expecting/hoping the elite spear fighter was going to pin him to the sand but somehow he gets faked out and run through by an incredibly open and telegraphed attack. :psyduck:

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Is there anything that you really wanted to know after finishing the last book? If there was, then the book chapters have not covered it.

If the show doesn't end with this being as grey area as the books I'll be stunned. Like if the season finale ends with Jon getting stabbed by his valet and maybe Alister and immediately fades to black I won't be surprised and I'm pretty much expecting it.

Though if it ends with someone beheading Jon with his own sword I'd be ok with that as well just to watch the Facebook meltdown.

Well in the books Shireen's still at the Wall with Mellissandre and considering she gets the gently caress out of the room when Jon reads Ramsay's letter that says he killed Stannis she's likely off to consult the flames and if she has any reason to believe Stannis is actually still alive she's going to burn Shireen without hesitation. Assuming she lives long enough since Jon getting stabbed has to set off a huge goddamn fight at Castle Black. The wildlings don't like the Watch but I still can't see all of them just going "oh the guy who saved us from being undead got betrayed, yeah we're cool and probably aren't going to need to worry about these Crows wanting to try and kill us despite their being horribly outnumbered, since they're clearly idiots."

At this point I think the only stuff from the finale I'm looking forward to is Caesar and whatever they're going to show for the white walkers. I guess Cersei's walk will be good too unless they make up some bullshit excuse to not have Robert Strong. I want to hope for a Kevin scene but I can't see them wanting to have both the scene for Jon and Kevin in the same episode.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How do people not recognize the infamous Chris Benoit post?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's funny how the Dorne scene in the episode entirely nullified absolutely everything about the Dorne plot in five minutes flat and put us right back at square one. This is like the Craster's Keep plot from last season except that it was stretched over a half dozen episodes rather than two, and still accomplishes nothing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's funny how the Dorne scene in the episode entirely nullified absolutely everything about the Dorne plot in five minutes flat and put us right back at square one. This is like the Craster's Keep plot from last season except that it was stretched over a half dozen episodes rather than two, and still accomplishes nothing.

Yeah while I like most of the changes they have made, they have also somehow made Dorne more pointless.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'm hoping they do something more with Doran next episode. Like, maybe he still has some sort of "Oh poo poo!" plan going where he is conniving unite the Martells and Targaryens that he can drop on the audience. They spent, what, episode 7?, with Tyrion making a point about how Danearys doesn't have any of the big Westerosi families supporting her. That could be an in to bring Quentyn into the show next season. And yeah, Danny's gone, but Viseryon and Rhaegon are still locked up under the city, so they COULD have the Dorne plot go nowhere by the book's same standards by having Quentyn get burnt up releasing them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
ahaha the AWoIaF people have been flipping out on twitter for hours arguing with everybody.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah while I like most of the changes they have made, they have also somehow made Dorne more pointless.

At least this was the "best" Dornish scene, though I use that term loosely. I had a big laugh when Doran said "Your Rebellion is over!" What, their rebellion of a scuffle in the garden?

Am I misremembering, or were the Sand Snakes in the books all from different mothers? Cus the show treats them like they're all Ellaria's daughters, even though half of them apparently don't exist in the show world.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I can only guess that they wanted to establish Doran so that he could be Dany's ally in Season 6, but as it stands, they probably should've cut Dorne.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I had a big laugh when Doran said "Your Rebellion is over!" What, their rebellion of a scuffle in the garden?

:thejoke:

Doran was pretty unimpressed with the whole thing. You could feel the contempt radiating off of him.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blind Sally posted:

I'm hoping they do something more with Doran next episode. Like, maybe he still has some sort of "Oh poo poo!" plan going where he is conniving unite the Martells and Targaryens that he can drop on the audience. They spent, what, episode 7?, with Tyrion making a point about how Danearys doesn't have any of the big Westerosi families supporting her. That could be an in to bring Quentyn into the show next season. And yeah, Danny's gone, but Viseryon and Rhaegon are still locked up under the city, so they COULD have the Dorne plot go nowhere by the book's same standards by having Quentyn get burnt up releasing them.

Pretty sure he doesn't list House Martell to Dany and that excluding them from the "these people hate you" list is 100% intentional on his part.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i missed that

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

At least this was the "best" Dornish scene, though I use that term loosely. I had a big laugh when Doran said "Your Rebellion is over!" What, their rebellion of a scuffle in the garden?

Am I misremembering, or were the Sand Snakes in the books all from different mothers? Cus the show treats them like they're all Ellaria's daughters, even though half of them apparently don't exist in the show world.

There were eight of them in the books, by five different mothers. Ellaria's kids in the books are Elia, Obella, Dorea, and Loreza Sand, and they're all literally children in the books. They've been rolled into Obara, Nymeria, and Tyene in the show to simplify things for dumb TV viewer babies.

Sarella's existence on the show is still TBD, depending on whether or not they actually do Oldtown next year, most likely.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
They might. Didn't Doran say he loved his "four nieces"? That threw me off because I wondered if one of them had died in that terrible garden fight, but they might be leaving themselves open to add another one next year. :shrug:

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

My friend looked over at me during the episode and said "wait, she is the mother of ALL the sand worms?"

The Sand Snakes in the book are all from different mothers, and in the show too - remember the whole spear-into-scorpion-guys-head scene? I'm not sure why Doran mentioned that he loved "all 4 nieces" ( or w/e ).

edit: ^^^
edit:I was wrong, see below

kcroy fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 9, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ellaria has been rewritten to be one of obwryns daughters in the show.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

No, I dont think so, she is introduced as his lover.

From dat wiki: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Ellaria_Sand

Ellaria mothered five of Prince Oberyn Martell's eight bastard daughters: the third eldest, Tyene; and the four youngest, Elia, Obella, Dorea, and Loreza Sand.

So there are more sandsnakes, we just haven't seen em all.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 9, 2015

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

If you missed Frey Pie I'm sorry you're too dumb to understand a guy twirling his mustache going "twas I that baked your family into pies upon which you have just supped!" and then the Freys get so mad a fight breaks out over the very obvious Frey Pies.

Perhaps they can work in a prostitute getting her butthole fingered during that scene so you morons can keep track of what's happening.

really? I missed it completely on first read through. I thought it was pretty subtle - but I also speed read a lot, and pick up poo poo on second/third read throughs.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

ahaha the AWoIaF people have been flipping out on twitter for hours arguing with everybody.

funny as poo poo, and seems very unprofessional. That pictures of them makes it look like they both need a good slap upside the head.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Eheh-heh... eeeeeeh

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

HBO certainly has some good writers but they don't assign them to work on the cheesy fantasy serial adaptation they've got going on.

I think the point is that HBO doesn't directly dole out writers for this kind of production.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Show was bad, except for Shireen, which had decent acting/framing. Surprisingly not mad about that, unlike E/L (and holy shits how anyone can defend them nowadays is just crazy; reddit gave me some poo poo for doing a one-liner about Linda once saying I wasn't any better when, yeah, clearly anyone not an insane fan is).

Also AgH, man, between these threads and mad max and like the whole boomerjinks thing, you need to not let internet folk get to you so much. I'm concerned. Since you're a pretty hilarious bro.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

kcroy posted:

No, I dont think so, she is introduced as his lover.

From dat wiki: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Ellaria_Sand

Ellaria mothered five of Prince Oberyn Martell's eight bastard daughters: the third eldest, Tyene; and the four youngest, Elia, Obella, Dorea, and Loreza Sand.

So there are more sandsnakes, we just haven't seen em all.

She's his daughter and lover.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The Conan-comparison is bullshit, Subotai would have died horribly if Conan was anything like GoT. Probably raped to death.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Meanwhile this seasn has basically been running with the theme of the Unsullied somehow going from world-class soldiers to "lol look at these fuckers getting wrecked by a nationalist street gang."

Also in the books didn't the Unsullied all have short swords or a gladius or some kind of not-spear weapon for fighting up close and personal? These are soldiers that're supposed to be able to make a Dothraki horde suffer yet the sons of the harpy are kicking their asses in every fight except the one with Grey Worm and Barristan, who dies in a fight because apparently the Unsullied are worthless except for Grey Worm. What sort of eunuch super-spartan soldiers don't carry loving swords? Drop the spears and star stabbing some motherfuckers already and cover each other's backs when fighting the groups that likes to try and grab you and cut your throat.

Then again they just stood there while dudes in the crowd they're watching start putting on masks and somehow one almost got to Dany? Were her Unsullied guards watching the loving match and not her back? If there's a single worst thing to this season it's how loving incompetent the Unsullied have suddenly become.

Yes the unsullied are specificly trained in short spear and short sword and described as using round shields. So they are a sort of mix of Greek hoplites and Roman legionaries, since Phalanx relies on rather long spears. In the show and fan-art, their gear is almost always wrong though. I mean all the pictures here http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Unsullied have them using large square shileds and rather long spears (which does make more sense to their faighting style). My guess is book wise, that they are ment to have throwing spears to open up with, since it says they carry 3 spears, and then use spears/ swords for close combat. which is pretty much how both roman legions and greek Phalanx worked, though Phalanx relied on long spears after the opening volly of throwing spears, rather than short spears and swords.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

No She haven't and Doran mention in the "great" couch scene in episode 9, that Ellaria is the mother of four of his Nieces and in the Sand snake introduction scene, it's only tit-snake that calls her mama. So there are at least 2 or 3 more Sand snakes we haven't seen in the tv-show. I mean Whip-snake (Nym) might be her duaghter too, but Spear-Snake (obarra) clearly have another mother.

It was kind of fun, that Tyrion didn't mention the great houses of the Vale and Dorne when talking to Dany about potential allies in Westeros. Wether he forgot them or chose not to mention them, was unclear. I forget the Vale all the time, so I believe Tyrion did the same ;)

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thunder Moose posted:

I haven't read any of the new preview chapters because I do not want too much spoiled but one thing I am curious about : does anyone have any inkling as to whether Jon is alive, dead, or "dead?"

from most to least likely: "dead," alive, dead

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How do people not recognize the infamous Chris Benoit post?

i don't know but he's the second funniest wrestler after the guy who took a photo of his huge rear end in a top hat

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

syscall girl posted:

She can put her sword through my heart any day

As long as she lets me get a taste of that Chyna sized clit first

*in podrick voice* that's a spicy meat-a ball

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kavak posted:

I think GRRM's convinced himself he's better off waiting for the TV show to significantly outrun him, see what is well received and what isn't, and then twist the books to fit that. It's looking more and more sensible as the rape and bad writing pile higher.

i really doubt he'll do that based on his writing process/principles

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

To even do Frey pie they would have to spell it out 50 times ala theon losing his dick and renly's gayness. There would be 4 episodes of them literally baking the pie and putting clothed human parts with the Frey sigil into it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Forget it Hotah, its Sunspear.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

can i be the one fingering

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Invicta{HOG}, M.D.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the only funny thing in the article is "sweater plate mail"

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

:stonkhat:

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
You know you can fit all your threadshitting into a single post so it's easier to skip for the rest of us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OhYeah posted:

You know you can fit all your threadshitting into a single post so it's easier to skip for the rest of us?

yep