Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any way to see your coords? Work out where I am on the map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

:woop:

orangelex44 posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/615086038684167262/

Oh my God...

We're getting poo poo-throwing monkeys, you guys. poo poo. Throwing. Monkeys.

Now all we have to do is spam the devs with requests to let them ride the dodos.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

Get a gps unit. Sadly, that is waay later in the tech tree. I don't think anyone has it unlocked yet.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
The first server I started on showed me a symbol on my map where I was (ME written in yellow). However I have not seen this on the 2nd server we started playing on.
So I guess that's a server setting.

Personally I would have preferred to have this available at all times, if only with a rough indication. It wouldn't ruin MY IMMERSION, and would reduce the continuous hassle it to get a new guy to our camp for the first time.

There is little so annoying for a new player to try to get to his friends, and actually not even knowing where he is so it is very hard to understand directions.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Cross posting this from another thread because it's loving badass.

A Xenomorph T-Rex. Now I want a facehugger mod.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I have a couple questions about this game:

-Is there an endgame? Tt seems like that floating obelisk (is that the titular Ark?) is some kind of late game thing?

-What happens on death, do you respawn somewhere random, do you retain anything?

-How big is the map?

-Is the map procedural or fixed?

-How hard is it to find your friends?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

I have a couple questions about this game:

-Is there an endgame? Tt seems like that floating obelisk (is that the titular Ark?) is some kind of late game thing?

-What happens on death, do you respawn somewhere random, do you retain anything?

-How big is the map?

-Is the map procedural or fixed?

-How hard is it to find your friends?

The endgame is spawning the broodmother from one of the obelisks using various artifacts and trophies, kinda like an MMO raid. The broodmother may look like (serious spoiler) this

On death you can either respawn at any of the preset zones, which are all coastal. In a bed you or your tribe owns, or in a sleeping bag (one use only).

The map is huge, it also has underground caves making it even larger. It takes me 20 minutes to walk from one end to the other on a raptor mount.

The map is fixed.

Sort of hard, it's easier to find each other if you have bases with beds you can spawn at. But there's very little in the way of path finding tools until you unlock a gps late game. My group settled near one of the obelisks and use that as the reference point when new people join up.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Are there areas of the map that objectively better to be in?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Are there areas of the map that objectively better to be in?

Coasts are easier to navigate because of the obelisks and easy landmarks. Inland is usually more densely populated, making it a lot more dangerous and the bigger dinosaurs also live there. There's not really any objectively better area to live in but once you get past the first few days you'll want to transition to metal tools and metal can only be gained in decent amounts from high elevations and inland rivers.

No area is really safe and if an organized group happens on your base and they have metal tools or big dino's your base is gone. My outfit only has 5 people so we've focused on a bunch of small bases around the place in hard to find spots with a bed and basic storage space. We've dispersed our meager supply of metal so if a base or two gets raided in the night we're not completely starting from scratch.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

From all the trailers and videos I've seen all the flying mounts are sloooowww as gently caress. Any good reason to have them?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

TescoBag posted:

From all the trailers and videos I've seen all the flying mounts are sloooowww as gently caress. Any good reason to have them?

You can pick people out of their saddle and throw them from great heights. What other reason do you need?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Today I spent most of the night picking nerds up, and putting them down. I think I killed maybe 40 people tonight? Also learned you can pick up nerds who are riding their dinos, off their dinos. I decided to start playing a new game with them. I pick them up, and start singing "Let me show you the world..." If I'm able to sing through the chorus without them drawing a weapon on me, I gently put them down, otherwise they get the drop. So far only one person has not gotten the drop.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

SweetBro posted:

Today I spent most of the night picking nerds up, and putting them down. I think I killed maybe 40 people tonight? Also learned you can pick up nerds who are riding their dinos, off their dinos. I decided to start playing a new game with them. I pick them up, and start singing "Let me show you the world..." If I'm able to sing through the chorus without them drawing a weapon on me, I gently put them down, otherwise they get the drop. So far only one person has not gotten the drop.

Can you do it with both Pterodactyls and murder birds?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Welp the Chaos guys have a lvl 60 and a T-Rex mount. That thing destroy even metal walls very quickly. They attacked our mountain base and the goons that went after it all died despite fairly high level mounts and players.

We dismantled mountain base and moved it back to main base. Everybody needs to carry tranq arrows because it looks like that's the only way to bring it down barring a T-Rex of our own.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Demiurge4 posted:

Can you do it with both Pterodactyls and murder birds?

So far I've tried only with Pterodactyls, will let you know as soon as I can mount murderbirds. Although partially I hope you can't, cause otherwise murder bird is just a better Pterodactyl.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

SweetBro posted:

So far I've tried only with Pterodactyls, will let you know as soon as I can mount murderbirds. Although partially I hope you can't, cause otherwise murder bird is just a better Pterodactyl.

It can't.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

What is the max number of players per server?

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

What is the max number of players per server?

70 by default.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
However there are a couple of 100 and 120 servers around.

The map can easily handle those numbers, especially after the first few hours when players tend to migrate inland.
However I don't know how many the software and servers can handle without issues.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Demiurge4 posted:

You can pick people out of their saddle and throw them from great heights. What other reason do you need?

Sold. I didn't think that I needed another survival game in my library, but who can resist that?

How hard is the resource/crafting game? If you get raided at high levels is it crippling, or does it just mean that you need to go out and farm for an hour again?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Well, rest in piss our base.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Jurassic ARK 2.0 is no more. They brought 3 T Rexes this time.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Givin posted:

Jurassic ARK 2.0 is no more. They brought 3 T Rexes this time.

This on the official server you guys are getting hammered?

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
there's three unmanned mounted t-rex inside the main base, everything is dead

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
After you die you start out nakid, but you retain all the skills and recipes you previously learned.

Getting back to wooden items is quick (few minutes), but gathering the materials to get to Metal Tier is much harder. Once you have the metal pick (which requires metal to make) things are smooth again.

That is why it is not unwise to keep a hidden stash (with Bed) somewhere out of your base. So when you inevitabely get raided you can rebuild quicker.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.
I got away with 1 trike, 1 saber, one raptor and two scorpions. And 42 ingots. Everything else except goon island is dead. Gone. RIP!

Lord Booga
Sep 23, 2007
Huh?
Grimey Drawer
Only just recently learned that the triceratops pretty much removes ANY limit on how many berries you can gather, the thing is a machine.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Ouch, sorry to hear that guys.

Not much you can do about for as long as you don't have a full battery of automated rocket launchers (=lvl 60)
Especially if they attack you during low attendance times.

However "war" is this game can, with a little tweaking, become much better than in most other survival games. Still have high hopes for this.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Lord Booga posted:

Only just recently learned that the triceratops pretty much removes ANY limit on how many berries you can gather, the thing is a machine.

Guy in my tribe got stuck with his Stego crossing a river, and it perished. So I went to get his berries with my Trike.
I couldn't move an inch...

So there is still a limit and non-drowning Stego's surpass that limit.

My personal favourite mount remains the Scorpion though. Eats spoiled meat? Awesome.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.
Welcome to Jurrasic Ark 3.0

Atleast we have a bed and a roof now, and some animals.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
New or same server?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Not that it's a big deal, but you probably shouldn't post screenshots of the base like that in this thread. Someone might get the location from that.

Edit: And it's the same server.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 9, 2015

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
Yeah, careful with that picture. I'm pretty sure I know right where that is.

Speaking of, I should probably get on the mumble and finally join up with the goons. If you see Raker running around please don't enslave me. Or at least be gentle.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
We tried a prison. It was fun but we could never fill it up. We tried a hot box made of metal and had lots more success out of that.

Our next pubbie torture device must involved a trap door. I'll think about this at work.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Did you guys choose a location where people can't just randomly drop in? That basin was a cool location, but a horrible spot for a base.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Archonex posted:

Not that it's a big deal, but you probably shouldn't post screenshots of the base like that in this thread. Someone might get the location from that.

Edit: And it's the same server.

don't be so paranoid

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
It's not paranoia when people are actually out to kill/enslave/feed you to dodos.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Evernoob posted:

However there are a couple of 100 and 120 servers around.

The map can easily handle those numbers, especially after the first few hours when players tend to migrate inland.
However I don't know how many the software and servers can handle without issues.

If you have a server DEDICATED to just your ARK server, easily. Oversold garbage from hosting companies? Good luck, they start making GBS threads the bed after a couple players.

Sitting idle with 0 players, my server is using 5GB of RAM, and 5-10% of a Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6Ghz

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Tony Montana posted:

Craft a sleeping bag and drop it, then "use" it. It will show your current location. You can then pick it back up and do the same thing later.