Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Cutting up a wreckage or digging up a helicopter crash is also pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So I just cleared out a public works hoping to fortify it and turn it into my home base while I loot the nearby town. As I was making my final sweep to check all the rooms for any hidden zombies, I found a locked door. I tried to pick the lock, failed, and set off an alarm. Do I need to book it before an eyebot shows up to ruin my new home, or will the alarm just draw nearby zombies? I didn't get any further sound notifications while I was beating a cougar to death with a stick, so I don't think the alarm is still blaring, and I can handle whatever zeds might be shambling their way over. If I do have to worry about the robo-fuzz, is there any time frame when the eyebot will give up and I can come back, or should I just fill my pockets with tools and write the place off?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

ZiegeDame posted:

If I do have to worry about the robo-fuzz, is there any time frame when the eyebot will give up and I can come back, or should I just fill my pockets with tools and write the place off?

Eyebots can be plinked to death with rocks if you have nothing better. You'll need to bring a lot of rocks if you have low throwing, and also be able to resist the temptation to just get closer than like 7 squares away to avoid having your picture taken (which is what summons the real robo-fuzz) but it's not hard to kill them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

ZiegeDame posted:

So I just cleared out a public works hoping to fortify it and turn it into my home base while I loot the nearby town. As I was making my final sweep to check all the rooms for any hidden zombies, I found a locked door. I tried to pick the lock, failed, and set off an alarm. Do I need to book it before an eyebot shows up to ruin my new home, or will the alarm just draw nearby zombies? I didn't get any further sound notifications while I was beating a cougar to death with a stick, so I don't think the alarm is still blaring, and I can handle whatever zeds might be shambling their way over. If I do have to worry about the robo-fuzz, is there any time frame when the eyebot will give up and I can come back, or should I just fill my pockets with tools and write the place off?

One eyebot spawns per alarm. They don't really actively hunt you; they just spawn somewhere nearby and start photographing you if you get near them.

That said if you have any guns at all you can just kill them. They're not very tough and the robocops only have melee attacks.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What affects the chance that bionics you pull out of shockers and shocker brutes will be burnt out?

I have electronics 6 and first aid 6 and was using a steak knife with a butcher quality of 20. Survival quality of 4. Still getting burnt out CBMs... I did get thermal dissipation and infrared vision though!

Edit: Am I fireproof now? I activated my infrared vision but I still didn't see zombies through walls I don't think? Is there a range limit?

Edit: Oh shoot I just realized that my stats are poo poo for ranged weapons and guns. My 10s and 11s mean my Military Recruit weapons and guns and skills are kinda useless. :negative:

Artificer fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 11, 2015

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Well I don't have any guns and my perception isn't great, but there are a couple of gun stores on the edge of town I was planning to loot. I'll come back later and see if I can't plink it down.

fake edit: actually, come to think of it, I have the Classic Zombies option turned on for this world so I could get a feel for the basics. Can eyebots even spawn? Or does Classic Zombies just mean no shocker brutes and spitters and such?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Artificer posted:

What affects the chance that bionics you pull out of shockers and shocker brutes will be burnt out?

I have electronics 6 and first aid 6 and was using a steak knife with a butcher quality of 20. Survival quality of 4. Still getting burnt out CBMs... I did get thermal dissipation and infrared vision though!

Edit: Am I fireproof now? I activated my infrared vision but I still didn't see zombies through walls I don't think? Is there a range limit?

Edit: Oh shoot I just realized that my stats are poo poo for ranged weapons and guns. My 10s and 11s mean my Military Recruit weapons and guns and skills are kinda useless. :negative:

Shockers are just full of junk most of the time, I don't know if there's a lot you can do to change that. The skills I believe just increase the chance of getting a CBM not if it will be working. I believe those busted CBM's are actually what give the shockers their powers, lore wise.

Thermal Dissipation does make you fire proof. Lava will kill you still and I don't know how well your clothes will fair.

You can't see zombies with infrared because they don't generate body heat. Same goes for any cold blooded critters as well.

You should still be fine using using guns you just won't be quite the expert deadeye. You'll still be able to point your shooter and make things dead well enough

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

10s and 11s are fine for shooting.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Artificer posted:

Survival is what affects butchering results, as well as dexterity and (to a lesser extent) strength. The precise numbers on how much more survival you need to be sure you can salvage at least one CBM per shocker zombie aren't readily available.

For the second question, I am pretty confident the reason you can't see zombies through walls with infrared vision is because their bodies store no heat seeing as they're... well, dead.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I made a car. Is there a difference between blades and spikes? Blades look a lot harder to make, so I'm assuming those'll do more damage and last longer?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Spikes are the way to go specifically because they're easy to make. Car stuff breaks pretty fast so renewability is important.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Hmm. Are dojos found in towns or are they in mountains or something? I found a 101 wrestling moves book but I guess it doesn't teach martial arts, just unarmed combat. I kinda wanna futz around with martial arts too, so any advice?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Dojos are indeed found in towns, they aren't like ninja training grounds or something. My advice is to go looking for more towns if the local ones aren't providing you any dojos.

e: Mansions and possibly malls will also be good for martial arts books.

e2: The absolute quickest guaranteed way to learn martial arts besides paying 3 points to start with one is to turn NPCs on and buy training in one from them.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 11, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Is there any hint as to where to find tailoring books? Especially high end ones? I'd like to look into making myself the survivor suit and belt series of items and it seems that I need recipes and tailoring for those.

Or I could just grind that up by repairing torn zombie clothes over and over, tearing other clothes apart for the materials to do so. It would be slow and I don't know if there is a point where experience from that stops. Is there a point where that isn't possible anymore?

Edit: Oh my God. Acorns are awesome. I'm starting to find them in Autumn now and I'm just gonna stock the hell up.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 11, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Artificer posted:

Or I could just grind that up by repairing torn zombie clothes over and over, tearing other clothes apart for the materials to do so. It would be slow and I don't know if there is a point where experience from that stops. Is there a point where that isn't possible anymore?

Get a massive amount of rags and thread by tearing down curtains (bring a wheelbarrow) then grind by making clothes. As long as you always make ones with a difficulty equalling your skill you will advance.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Get a massive amount of rags and thread by tearing down curtains (bring a wheelbarrow) then grind by making clothes. As long as you always make ones with a difficulty equalling your skill you will advance.

Good thing I've been looting clothing stores. I can cannibalize those for rags too. Thanks.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Fix zombie clothes, then eventually you'll be able to reinforce your own stuff and finally transition into making whatever cloths you need. Make sure to haul any leather and kevlar based clothing back to base and tear it down for materials.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 11, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Carcer posted:

Fix zombie clothes, then eventually you'll be able to reinforce your own stuff and finally transition into making whatever cloths you need. Make sure to haul any leather and kevlar based clothing back to base and tear it down for materials.

Yep, yeah. That'll get me past the basics. Fortunately, I can just start spamming uh. Sundresses or something? The longer it takes to make something the more experience I get but I can't be assed to figure out the most efficient way. Sundresses at level 3 take a long time and require fewer materials than, say, hoodies.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Some clothing stores have a work area in the back that can have nicer books in it. Then there's of course the old standards libraries and mansions.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
A brute zombie threw me onto a land mine :gonk:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Landmines are less deadly than I thought they would be. A patch of them spawned along the main road I used to get to a secoundry town and I ran across the drat things a couple times, but never got that badly hurt.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Question: is there a way to give stuff to NPCs? I finally found a refugee center and wow, these guys are seriously slummin' it and I've got a whole stack of M4s back at base that are just sitting there unused

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Create new world, spawn in. Good start, evac shelter in the middle of a forest, only mooses running around murderizing stuff. Cool, I think, I'll go south into the forest. Oh wait, there's a minefield not ten tiles out the door. :rip:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
My latest character spawned next to a mansion...

...with a pool. :getin:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I've got a giant drum full of rainwater, and it weighs 5x as much as I do. is there some way to fill smaller containers out of it without picking up the entire thing first?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mzbundifund posted:

I've got a giant drum full of rainwater, and it weighs 5x as much as I do. is there some way to fill smaller containers out of it without picking up the entire thing first?

/

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
What's the most complete/informative tileset? Right now I'm using ChestHole.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

If you make some clean water or broth right next to it with a fire, you can collect water that way. Other than that, er, no I don't think so.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Junkfist posted:

What's the most complete/informative tileset? Right now I'm using ChestHole.

I like RetroDays a whole lot. Seems to have everything except some of the newer enemies in experimentals.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I normally place a funnel and giant drum right outside the kitchen window, that way I have a poo poo ton of water ready for crafting whenever and I don't have to leave the house or deal with transferring it using inventory management.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

To expand on this, you need to be in the destination container (select the container in the list and then hit C) while the other side's cursor is on the container to empty. Hitting enter from the source item will move its water up to the destination's maximum.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Stupid question: How do I refill water bottles from water sources? I can't seem to find how to do this on the wiki. :confused:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"e" in the direction of the source will prompt you to select a container to fill.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

"e" in the direction of the source will prompt you to select a container to fill.

Thank you! :respek:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

M.Ciaster posted:

Question: is there a way to give stuff to NPCs? I finally found a refugee center and wow, these guys are seriously slummin' it and I've got a whole stack of M4s back at base that are just sitting there unused

1. 'C'hat with them.
2. Ask them if they'd care to trade.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Protip: if you bring a shopping cart or other storage vehicle along on a lumberjack operation, leave it a little bit away from the trees you're felling.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

What are EMP Blast CMBs for?

Edit: Oh sweet heavy damage to robotic and electronic enemies. Neat.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Artificer posted:

What are EMP Blast CMBs for?

Edit: Oh sweet heavy damage to robotic and electronic enemies. Neat.

For when you attack and eyebot and a Riot Control Bot spawns out of nowhere to love gas you and leave you to die.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

1. 'C'hat with them.
2. Ask them if they'd care to trade.

The guards don't seem to have that option, weirdly enough. Maybe if I do a few more quests?

I just wanna be a friendly gun santa Robocop :tfrxmas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Raided my first science lab today.

Or at least thats what I'd like to say. Thank goodness I was wearing a Kevlar vest, a Kevlar lined trenchcoat, and an (empty) MBR vest. Those loving SMG turrets, shiiit. I got shot to pieces, I think I nearly lost an arm! (can you lose limbs?)

How the hell are you supposed to deal with those things? I got shot to bits just trying to use the "X" function to peek around the doorway.