Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yes change it, and be careful driving it; cars REALLY don't like to sit for extended periods, it's likely you'll start springing various fluid leaks and destroying suspension bushings once you start putting miles on it.

Also, if it was stored with its weight on the tires, replace them; even if the belts aren't broken yet, they'll be deformed and will never roll smooth again, and are liable to straight up blow out on you.

Fake edit: I read your post as you talking over the car, so disregard if this is just for maintenance's sake. Still applies if it will be driven at all though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

0toShifty posted:

My mom's car is a 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S.

The car has 17,300 miles on it. It's been stored in the garage since 2003 and hasn't been driven.

I changed the coolant in 2011 to make sure it wasn't going to be eating the gaskets.

Should I change the oil on the car? It was last changed in 2003 at 16,000 miles. The oil on the dip stick is totally clear.

Yeah.. Oil changes are 6mos or x miles for a reason..
It's clear because after sitting for 12 years.. that's a lot of time for the particulate to sit.at the bottom of the oil pan.
Oil + filter is 20bux, and you can probably find a change place that'll do it for under 30. It's worth getting it done.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
It's going to remain stored for the foreseeable future. It's probably going to be a barn find car one day. It's stored at high altitude in the Colorado mountains - 9,300ft.

The car's original tires were removed at 200 miles and stored in bags in the garage. It's been sitting on studded snows since then. Ironic since it's never seen snow.

Synthetic or cheap oil? Doesn't matter? Should I change the filter too?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

0toShifty posted:

The car's original tires were removed at 200 miles and stored in bags in the garage.

They're probably trash by now. The rubber will dry rot.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Anyone have an estimate on a "fair" price for a new set of floor mats for a 2000 Lexus RX 300 will run me? I've seen a few on ebay for $100-120 - does that sound right?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeah roughly. Rockauto has some for $94, theres always a 5% coupon floating around but you would have to pay shipping too which is usually fair.

I was able to find a set for $50 for my mustang, but they're a bit more simple than yours and the rears are just two little squares.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

I've got a 2001 Volvo V70 T5. It started throwing a code for the MAP, which I replaced. After replacing, I used a generic ODB2 reader to clear the trouble codes.

I just took it in for California smog at a test-only station, where the guy plugged in an ODB2 reader and told me it failed- he said a couple of the sensors hadn't activated yet, and said this was common if the car hadn't been driven much after clearing the codes. He mentioned that this was California's response to folks clearing their codes right before getting a smog test to get around trouble codes.

He asked me to drive it around for a while, so I did a mix of city and freeway driving for 40 minutes and a total of 30 miles. He said the sensors still hadn't responded, so I drove it about 20 miles of city driving and checked with him again- still no response from the sensors.

I've had this car for almost 10 years, so I don't think anything has been messed with, but my question is this:
How much driving (distance or time) do I need to do to get the sensors to all check in? I have 2 passes from the DMV for one day each to drive without getting a ticket, and I want to use them wisely. Thanks in advance.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It took my CEL several days of driving, probably north of 300 miles to pop back on after clearing the codes. Probably really depends on the manufacturer, though.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

It's based on various scenarios, essentially. So the car has to operate at or above X temperature for Y minutes at a speed greater than Z, but not Z'.

Here's an explanation that isn't at all guaranteed to work on a given car, but probably would:

http://repairpal.com/how-to-perform-a-basic-drive-cycle

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Anybody drive a 2015 toyota highlander? I'm wondering if there's a way to set artist/song alerts on the satellite radio. It's a feature I've gotten a ton of use out of on my old jeep & I'm hoping to have it in whatever new vehicle we buy.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Anyone have an opinion on KYB AGX adjustable dampers? My Focus is going to need a suspension refresh soon and my choices for adjustables are either AGX or Koni Yellows, and while I'm sure the Konis are great I don't want to spend nearly $700 on dampers.

I seem to recall having read somewhere years ago that the AGX shocks are overrated, but that was on a terrible model-specific forum full of kids with rich parents funding their modding budget who mostly had the opinion that if you weren't putting in $1200+ coilovers you shouldn't bother with anything but OEM replacements.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Does anyone know anything about LDV vans? Long term I'm going to need a LWB van with a high roof (which sadly rules out hiace or any other japanese thing), I don't want a fiat ducato or VAG and I'm leery of mercedes benz. People seem to think they're very reliable; does anyone have any first-hand experience with them, either ownership or working on?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Is there a simple way to check insurance quotes without going around giving every broker your info? Progressive used to offer a couple comparisons to theirs right?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
I've got the opportunity to buy a 2002 Mazda Tribute for really cheap, only 1500 bux. It's about 130k miles, 5 speed manual, good tires, glass, a few minor body dings. It def needs new brake pads, and maybe the rotors turned. I'm sure it's a decent deal, but I want to ask if there's any weird quirks for that year/model or if anybody here knows a reason I should give it a pass.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

baram. posted:

Is there a simple way to check insurance quotes without going around giving every broker your info? Progressive used to offer a couple comparisons to theirs right?
I've noticed recently that most of the major online insurance providers pull info from a central database so I can get quotes in just a couple minutes for each site.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dee eight posted:

I've got the opportunity to buy a 2002 Mazda Tribute for really cheap, only 1500 bux. It's about 130k miles, 5 speed manual, good tires, glass, a few minor body dings. It def needs new brake pads, and maybe the rotors turned. I'm sure it's a decent deal, but I want to ask if there's any weird quirks for that year/model or if anybody here knows a reason I should give it a pass.

They're thirsty, slow, unreliable and poorly made.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Slavvy posted:

They're thirsty, slow, unreliable and poorly made.

It's the 2L 4 cyl, so 18-28 mpg range which is not great but not completely terrible. Slow doesn't bother me too much as I generally stick to the posted limits.
Unreliable, I'll see because I get to drive the thing for six weeks before I make up my mind. (bro-in-law deal, don't ask)

Anyway, cars.com is putting that year/model in the $2200 - 8100 range so even if I buy and then decide it sucks, I could probably still make a small profit or at least break even.

I'm about 75% decided to buy it, but time will tell I guess.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My friend had one. It was thirsty and slow, though he didn't have any reliability problems. I didn't like it at all, I thought the 4WD setup was rubbish, and I would not recommend one to anyone.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
The Tribute was the same as the Ford Escape, right? There are a ton of those on the road still, not that that means much I guess.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

At $1500 it's hard to hate much of anything if it reliably gets you from A to B and back. At $1500 plus six weeks to decide if you actually like it? Really, really hard to say no to that if the Tribute is at all what you're looking for.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Astonishing Wang posted:

The Tribute was the same as the Ford Escape, right? There are a ton of those on the road still, not that that means much I guess.

Explorer, if I recall correctly.

e. Nope, I think you're right.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Astonishing Wang posted:

Yes.

Family member had one. Can't say it excited me, but can't say it was a hunk of junk either.

Got through a few ABS sensor rings and the alloys corroded really badly.

IOwnCalculus posted:

At $1500 it's hard to hate much of anything if it reliably gets you from A to B and back. At $1500 plus six weeks to decide if you actually like it? Really, really hard to say no to that if the Tribute is at all what you're looking for.

This. If it worked, I'd be happy enough with it for that price.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think what we're saying it, it isn't the greatest SUV in the world...

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

IOwnCalculus posted:

if the Tribute is at all what you're looking for.

I'm looking for cheap transport. God knows I'd rather have something like a 2005 Corolla and a 90cc scooter for around town. I just wanted to know if that year/model had a penchant for deploying airbags when it rains or if the rear seats had a tendency to spontaneously combust or if they're haunted by the ghost of Dale Earnhardt or something.

Thanks for the replies, I'm up to 86% on buying it now.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Geoj posted:

Anyone have an opinion on KYB AGX adjustable dampers? My Focus is going to need a suspension refresh soon and my choices for adjustables are either AGX or Koni Yellows, and while I'm sure the Konis are great I don't want to spend nearly $700 on dampers.

I seem to recall having read somewhere years ago that the AGX shocks are overrated, but that was on a terrible model-specific forum full of kids with rich parents funding their modding budget who mostly had the opinion that if you weren't putting in $1200+ coilovers you shouldn't bother with anything but OEM replacements.

KYB makes OEM dampers, they aren't necessarily a bad brand. When it comes to anything adjustable though, you get what you pay for. Koni Yellows are considered by many to be the cheapest good option if you want adjustable shocks. Agree on the point about coilovers, except $1200+ is a low side, I'd say at least $2K for single adjustable dampers. The top brands can be up to $8K for triple adjustable, who knows how much the stuff professional race teams use.

Tldr get OEM replacement or the Konis

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

InitialDave posted:

It's just a tribute.

dee eight posted:

I'm looking for cheap transport. God knows I'd rather have something like a 2005 Corolla and a 90cc scooter for around town. I just wanted to know if that year/model had a penchant for deploying airbags when it rains or if the rear seats had a tendency to spontaneously combust or if they're haunted by the ghost of Dale Earnhardt or something.

Thanks for the replies, I'm up to 86% on buying it now.

You could do worse for 1500 bucks.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Wasnt the biggest poo poo part about the Tributes/Escapes the auto trans anyway? Since its a 5 speed that might get rid of a lot of the troubles. Plus $1500 for a beater with 130k aint bad.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

What was that whooshing sound above my head?

Slavvy posted:

It's just a tribute.
Ah. Thank you.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
My sis has had an 01 Escape for at least a good 10 years now. It's not an amazing vehicle but it works well. Only thing is there have been several recalls related to those vehicles in that time frame so make sure to do your homework.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Funeral procession in the right lane of a two lane road. Open left lane. Is it fine to just drive past doing the speed limit?

(I'm I okay with being mad at all the people that just kept pace with the procession going about 10 mph under instead of driving like normal?)

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Uthor posted:

Funeral procession in the right lane of a two lane road. Open left lane. Is it fine to just drive past doing the speed limit?

(I'm I okay with being mad at all the people that just kept pace with the procession going about 10 mph under instead of driving like normal?)

Take your hat off, cue up Mozart requiem in D minor, pass at 1 mph under the limit, and you're cool.

(I'm assuming that it's two lanes in the direction of travel, otherwise hammer down and get past as quickly and safely as possible)

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Uthor posted:

Hey, it's not YOUR dad that died :smug: Smoke tires.

jk don't do that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

dee eight posted:

(I'm assuming that it's two lanes in the direction of travel, otherwise hammer down and get past as quickly and safely as possible)

Yeah, two lanes, divider, two lanes in the opposite direction.

I always have trouble deciding if I should say a road is a two-lane road or a four-lane road.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

What was that whooshing sound above my head?

Ah. Thank you.

Couldn't remember the greatest SUV in the world.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Thanks to this place, I can never hear this song without thinking it is missing a '.avi' at the end.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Neptr posted:

Tldr get OEM replacement or the Konis

OE replacements are out, they're butter soft and I have a set of lowering Springs going in that that will kill them.

If the KYB adjustables are terrible I'll just get a set of fixed rate performance dampers.

PS I'm not a professional or even amateur race team so $8k coil overs are definitely out of the question. I'm just looking for something performance oriented for the street and maybe an occasional HPDE.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 12, 2015

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
This is how my morning started:

Or didn't start and didn't crank, rather. Hauled it to a local foreign car auto service early this afternoon and just got a callback with a diagnosis and estimate: $487US to replace the starter on my 1995 Nissan XE pickup (3.0L V6 / VG30E / 5-spd. / ~70,000 mi.) The price for that job sounds reasonable enough, but I am starting to question whether or not it is actually the starter. What I know:
  • When I attempted to start it (before and after a good samaritan tried to jump it) I heard no clicks or other sounds except a mild *tock* from the front at the same time the ABS light turns off in the instrument panel.
  • Speaking of instrument lights -- all turned on like usual when I attempted to start. CEL did not stay on, IIRC, when the other cluster lights went off.
  • Speaking of CEL -- no history of it coming on and I checked for OBD codes a couple of months ago for the hell of it and the only code was "55" (No Malfunction Recorded.)
  • All electrical systems in the cab did work with the key turned to the start position. Hazard lights did not change tempo as I attempted to start or as it sat there.
  • Battery terminals and connectors aren't exactly pristine, but there is no visible corrosion.
  • I checked all the fuses related to the engine and they looked fine.
  • I looked at the clutch pedal starter safety mechanism and it appears to engage as normal.
  • Three-year-old alternator (rebuilt, Napa-supplied) and a two-year-old Interstate battery.
  • The truck has had no trouble with starting before this morning. It did take a second to start once the key was turned. It wasn't instantaneous, but never felt unusual -- just a little "soft."
  • I did not think to turn on the headlights and ask someone to watch them as I attempted to start.
I'm assuming (and we all know what that gets you) that the shop tested the starter to reach that conclusion, but I wonder if there is anything else I should ask about in the troubleshooting chain. I'd much rather learn that it was just a bad relay now before the shop starts shotgunning parts at it, but I don't want to seem all :byodame: if I start asking questions.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Arriviste posted:

This is how my morning started:

First blush, sounds like a starter to me. Personally, I'd have tried to bump start it , drive to a shop, and saved a few bucks on a towl

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

dee eight posted:

First blush, sounds like a starter to me. Personally, I'd have tried to bump start it , drive to a shop, and saved a few bucks on a towl

Good to hear that it sounds like they're on the right track with the diagnosis, then.

I forgot all about bump starts! Had friends in high school that had to start that way and pushing cars was part of our after school routine. Re: towing costs: I have Verizon Roadside Assistance for $3.00/mo. on my wireless bill. In-town tows are a flat-rate $60.00 around here, so the service is a great peace of mind to have when you drive a twenty-year-old vehicle and live alone. I hate it for the small-time owner/operators who are in their network, though. Verizon's payment terms tend to be in the range of at least six months. I've tipped $10 - $20 the few times I needed the assistance before. Was having such a good chat with the fellow who picked me up today that I forgot to give him a tip. :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
You have all the symptoms of a battery failure, don't discount it because everything outside the battery looks peachy keen. Did you at least try to measure the sitting voltage?