Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Explorer posted:

If they "rent" the Juniper firewalls from the ISP and they are the point of demarc, that would mean the ISPs are responsible for them. You can't just swap them out if you want the ISP to keep supporting the firewall side of things.

Also, what the gently caress is a Peplink router? I'm not a big-time networking dude but I have never heard of them before.
[Edit: Those look like gigantic pieces of poo poo and I'd tell you to get lost too.]

Definitely not pieces of poo poo, actually this thread sent me to them. I got a few Balance 710 for two grand each and they're combining WANs incredibly well for the past few weeks. Neither I nor anyone else has noticed any difference with internet, but I can see in the logs they're load balancing very intelligently and I've tested the failover after hours, which was nearly seamless. All the Balance routers get around 4.5 stars on Amazon too.

Now that I'm looking, the Peplink specifically has a "drop-in mode" to play along with preexisting firewalls, and they specifically mention Juniper and Fortigate as compatible systems: http://www.peplink.com/knowledgebase/can-peplink-balance-work-with-an-existing-firewall/

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Once you find a job, is there any obligation to tell recruiters "thanks, but no thanks"? Will ignoring calls/e-mails have any impact next time you're looking for a new position and your name crosses their desk again?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Once you find a job, is there any obligation to tell recruiters "thanks, but no thanks"? Will ignoring calls/e-mails have any impact next time you're looking for a new position and your name crosses their desk again?

Don't think it would have a negative impact. But if they're an actual good recruiter, who took the time to write you a personal message about a quality job that's relevant to your skills and interests, it might be a good idea to reply. Start establishing relationships with good people so that things go quicker the next time you are looking.

vvv I assumed he meant random cold calls that come in once he's landed the new job. Not existing relationships. Yeah, if you've been actively working with someone else and you don't hate their guts, you should definitely tell them you're off the market now.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 12, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Not really any reason not to notify a recruiter that you've been working with. If it's just someone who just has your name on a mailing list and you've never actually interacted with them then they probably have an Unsubscribe link.

Unless they work for Robert Half. Don't tell them poo poo.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Don't think it would have a negative impact. But if they're an actual good recruiter, who took the time to write you a personal message about a quality job that's relevant to your skills and interests, it might be a good idea to reply. Start establishing relationships with good people so that things go quicker the next time you are looking.

vvv I assumed he meant random cold calls that come in once he's landed the new job. Not existing relationships. Yeah, if you've been actively working with someone else and you don't hate their guts, you should definitely tell them you're off the market now.

Yeah, should have clarified, these are cold calls/e-mails. Most of them are pretty generic, I would guess just a name substituted into a form letter.

Though good idea on responding to at least the folks who put some effort into their messages, or are at least sending over relevant results.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer posted:

Also, what the gently caress is a Peplink router? I'm not a big-time networking dude but I have never heard of them before.
[Edit: Those look like gigantic pieces of poo poo and I'd tell you to get lost too.]

They are very good at doing a specific task, such as combining multiple ADSL/LTE/whatever WAN links and tunneling it back to a virtual appliance running in a DC. They aren't a replacement for the sort of redundancy that your ISP can provide you with.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Unless you're a jerk about it I wouldn't worry about it too much. I sometimes linkedin connect with recruiters that work directly for companies I'm interested in just in case and I've had some hit me up every year to see if my situation's changed.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
LinkedIn also changed their policy about InMails back in January. Their recruiter plans come with 30 InMails a month. They used to refund you for anything you sent that got no response, but predictably, that behavior led to a lot of stupid spam that nobody wanted to even respond to. Now, they refund you for any InMail you send that actually gets a bite. So if you like the recruiter, send them a "no thanks, not on the market right now" and save them a couple of bucks.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If I've taken the time to meet with you and played an active role in your search, it's nice to do. I'll always call you before submitting you somewhere new anyway...

It's a MUST if I have you in any sort of active submittal/interview process because ffuuuuuuuck it makes me look stupid when the client goes to move the ball forward and I have to tell them "ooops he took a job already".

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

flosofl posted:

I'm assuming you tried the vendor defaults for all of them?

You may be out of luck if you want to keep the current configurations. For a lot of devices the only recovery method available is to reset to factory default settings. If you do end up going down that route, just be aware once you start there's no turning back.

quote:

Document and diagram. Don't do anything until you have everything documented and diagrammed. Otherwise you're just going to be bashing your head into the wall.

I spent most of today tracing wires and trying to diagram the whole system the best I could given that I have 10 unmarked wall ports that SQL, AD and a few other things had extra NICs connected to. Thankfully I think all of the network devices actually routing or something can be recovered without wiping the existing configurations. The things that can't almost certainly have no configurations anyway. I don't think they even have STP enabled after fiddling with wireshark.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Back in May we had a meeting with the VP where he told us I.T. wouldn't have any funding or personnel cuts in this year's budget since we've taken the brunt of cuts in the last few years. I believed him and didn't try to line up a new job for when my contract ends at the end of June.

Today my supervisor takes me aside and tells me my contract extension was denied because administration decided to cut my position anyway. When I was just 3 months shy of the full year of contracting that would land me a permanent position. Him and the CIO tell me they're going to keep trying, possibly pulling money from other projects if it will help. It's nice to know at least they want to keep me around, but I'm not holding my breath. :sigh: What a terrible start to the weekend.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Hungry Computer posted:

Back in May we had a meeting with the VP where he told us I.T. wouldn't have any funding or personnel cuts in this year's budget since we've taken the brunt of cuts in the last few years. I believed him and didn't try to line up a new job for when my contract ends at the end of June.

Today my supervisor takes me aside and tells me my contract extension was denied because administration decided to cut my position anyway. When I was just 3 months shy of the full year of contracting that would land me a permanent position. Him and the CIO tell me they're going to keep trying, possibly pulling money from other projects if it will help. It's nice to know at least they want to keep me around, but I'm not holding my breath. :sigh: What a terrible start to the weekend.

It always sucks when that happens. Just use it as a well-earned lesson to not believe anything upper management says when it comes to money or jobs. In fact, the opposite of what they say is usually far more often the truth. The important thing to know about contract positions is that there is always some indication that it's coming to an end and you need to get out while you can. No matter how hard managers try to hide it, there are always tells that poo poo is about to go down, and frankly that message from the VP about no future funding or personnel cuts was a dead giveaway - as a contractor, you aren't personnel, and the easiest way to avoid cutting funding is to end a contract, since that is usually considered an on-going expense rather than something that comes out of departmental funding.

Good luck on the job search.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I got my first ID-10-T today!

...It was my mistake, though. It's me, I am the idiot newbie. In my defense, ribbon cables are easy to forget about when they get shoved out of sight in the guts of a printer.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Methanar posted:

When I saw this I immediately declared the project a failure and reverted all changes and eventually had it fully functional again.

Just going to highlight this as a Very Good Thing to do. Too many people get stuck with Go Fever and keep trying to persevere even when it's a lost cause, making things far worse. It's a hard call to make, but a good one. Well done.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

It's too late

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Danith posted:

I need a new job. I like the place I work but since I've started the most I've gotten is a 1-3% raise every year, no bonuses, make less then 50k/year. Any attempts at more training is met with silence and they keep slimming down IT.

I started 10 years ago as a contractor to help out on the helpdesk, did that for 2 years then was hired full time to help the ops team (monitoring the production environment), and then became one of the 2 schedulers for the various things we run (computer programs not people schedulers). Then put back on helpdesk part of the day to help them out, and then promoted to the AIX admin when they got rid of the guy.
The scheduling program doesn't seem to be one of the really popular ones (OpCon Enterprise manager) so it's hard to find places looking for experience with that. I don't like doing helpdesk duties so that's out.

I feel like I can't use the AIX position on my resume either because even though we have one, it just kinda sits there now and runs our oracle database. No one really touches it. It will be a fun experience if it ever goes down though.

So scary looking into getting a new job when you've been at one for so long but it's looking like if I ever want to learn more and get paid more I'll have to move on.

Just sad and depressed over my job which is why I am posting this

I was in the same boat and got pidgin-holed into being a IBM I Upgrade expert. No matter, I interviewed well and got brought back into the Windows world.

If I were you, I'd try applying for IBM AIX Position and at IBM Business Partners. It may involve a lot of travel which could be a good or a bad thing depending on your circumstances.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Methanar posted:

I've never properly appreciated how much I love cisco's cli.

I like it even more than bash. Networking device UIs suck rear end.

It's nice to be able to pipe more than once in bash. That's probably my biggest problem with cisco IOS recently - I inherited an IOS load balancer essentially with 10+ years of shoddy maintenance by previous admins, I can't show any part of the running config on the device basically because cisco regex is terrible and the config is something like ~80 pages long if you print it out (my predecessor printed it out, it's in my desk). I spend a lot of time copying configs onto TFTP servers, checking them into version control, checking them out of version control onto my machine and then finally looking at them.

There are also tons of nice random things in bash like "esc .", all of screen/tmux/ratpoison, the "!!" guy, and awk/scripting languages. Even something simple like "I want this line, and the line after it" is (to my knowledge anyway) not possible without writing a fairly complex regex. Compare to "grep -A1" in bash. If I could SSH into a cisco device and get a bash terminal I would immediately automate like 80% of my job. :)

I only ever work in CLIs these days and I can't think of one that I wouldn't prefer over cisco IOS, but yes it is still way better than interacting with any kind of gui or web interface. Also, this seems like it is turning out to be a pretty loving good first job for you so far if you don't mind me saying so. A lot of people (in my limited experience, anyway), get sort of pigeonholed into jobs where 99% of their job duties are following written instructions from someone else. At my current employer we interviewed a LOT of people for a Sr position that just could not handle "What would you do if..." questions, people from fairly big name companies who have apparently spent the last 10+ years getting paid six figures to follow a checklist 40 hours a week.

Fixing stuff like you are with almost no documentation might suck really hard now, but it's going to give you a lot of really good experience and stuff to talk about during interviews when you start looking for new work.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The ASA CLI has some noticeable improvements over the IOS CLI. For example, not having to use "do" for executive mode commands while in configuration mode.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Oh god, my triggers. Half the poo poo in here isn't bash. It's gnu coreutils (or BSD coreutils) and you'd be sorely disappointed on systems that run bash but not coreutils, like busybox, and you'd probably rage at systems with sysv coreutils and ksh or sh.

Different systems have different interactions. I'm a Linux guy through and through, but I don't bitch at ios because it's different. There's efficient use patterns you haven't found because you're desperately wishing for awk and poo poo you'll never get, instead of asking: "hey sepist/psydude/network person, what's the best way to do foo?"

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Just gonna leave this here.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Who needs two factor auth at a financial when you can just get by with "something you have?"

Surely their security guys have no problem with this

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You have no idea how many times I've had that request from medical practices and hospitals.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

evol262 posted:

Half the poo poo in here isn't bash. [...] "hey sepist/psydude/network person, what's the best way to do foo?"

Yeah, my mistake. I'm aware that <x feature> isn't always necessarily "just bash" but, in my haste, neglected to specify "on linux servers with usability tools installed".

As far as the best way to do foo, all of the things I mentioned are pretty much widely known issues. There are a lot of things to complain about with regards to cisco IOS and "its not like <linux shell>" is definitely one of them.

For example, you can "more" commands instead of "show" to get additional features. The featurelist is, essentially, 3 things: you can use the ridiculous regex engine that doesn't handle multiple lines. You can 'begin' - start showing the output of the command at the first occurence of your input. You can 'include' - only show lines that match your input. You can also / - basically your forward search in Vi/Vim/Less/hatever the official name of this thing actually is.

You can't ? backwards search. There's no cut/awk and then print the Xth item in this array delimited by Y character. There's no screen or similar. If you want to show specific information about things in cisco IOS you pretty much have 2 options. Show run <thing> and hope that A: this command exists, B: that your specific software version supports this command, and C: whoever arbitrarily decided the output of this command included the information that you want. Or you can do what I do and manage all of your config files on a linux server that has BSD coreutils or GNU coreutils or busybox or whatever else installed, so you can check the configs out of version control and then do your awks and seds and greps and what-have-you.

If <other network guy> in this thread has any corrections or suggestions I would be very interested in hearing about them!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Reiz posted:

Yeah, my mistake. I'm aware that <x feature> isn't always necessarily "just bash" but, in my haste, neglected to specify "on linux servers with usability tools installed".

As far as the best way to do foo, all of the things I mentioned are pretty much widely known issues. There are a lot of things to complain about with regards to cisco IOS and "its not like <linux shell>" is definitely one of them.

For example, you can "more" commands instead of "show" to get additional features. The featurelist is, essentially, 3 things: you can use the ridiculous regex engine that doesn't handle multiple lines. You can 'begin' - start showing the output of the command at the first occurence of your input. You can 'include' - only show lines that match your input. You can also / - basically your forward search in Vi/Vim/Less/hatever the official name of this thing actually is.

You can't ? backwards search. There's no cut/awk and then print the Xth item in this array delimited by Y character. There's no screen or similar. If you want to show specific information about things in cisco IOS you pretty much have 2 options. Show run <thing> and hope that A: this command exists, B: that your specific software version supports this command, and C: whoever arbitrarily decided the output of this command included the information that you want. Or you can do what I do and manage all of your config files on a linux server that has BSD coreutils or GNU coreutils or busybox or whatever else installed, so you can check the configs out of version control and then do your awks and seds and greps and what-have-you.

If <other network guy> in this thread has any corrections or suggestions I would be very interested in hearing about them!

So, is my approach of showing the entire config, exporting my buffer, and pasting it into sublime text the wrong way to do things?

I only poke at iOS devices like twice a year though.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
Rancid (http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/) or other.

NX-OS includes egrep and supports multiple pipes... Drops the need for a 'do' prepend in configuration mode and depending on platform gives you access to some coreutils. I believe IOS-XR also includes vim among other things.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

The Fool posted:

So, is my approach of showing the entire config, exporting my buffer, and pasting it into sublime text the wrong way to do things?

I only poke at iOS devices like twice a year though.

It would be a little "better" if you set up a tftp server and did your show _____ | redirect tftp.

Then you can check your configs into version control for easy rollbacks/diffs between versions (unless rancid is doing that for you). Given that you only touch it twice a year, I guess it's not really a big deal though!

Then yeah, by all means paste your stuff into sublime text. If you don't have it already there is an excellent cisco ios syntax package available.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

evol262 posted:

Who needs two factor auth at a financial when you can just get by with "something you have?"

Surely their security guys have no problem with this

The usmc uses a smart card with a 6-8digit pin. They do not use this, and just use a username and pass in deployed environments. Authentication is a really hard problem to get right. I am not surprised that function two factor auth is so rare.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Reiz posted:

It would be a little "better" if you set up a tftp server and did your show _____ | redirect tftp.

Then you can check your configs into version control for easy rollbacks/diffs between versions (unless rancid is doing that for you). Given that you only touch it twice a year, I guess it's not really a big deal though!

Then yeah, by all means paste your stuff into sublime text. If you don't have it already there is an excellent cisco ios syntax package available.

You can copy your configs (and anything on your flash memory) to or from a TFTP or FTP server, without having to pipe the output.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

It always sucks when that happens. Just use it as a well-earned lesson to not believe anything upper management says when it comes to money or jobs. In fact, the opposite of what they say is usually far more often the truth. The important thing to know about contract positions is that there is always some indication that it's coming to an end and you need to get out while you can. No matter how hard managers try to hide it, there are always tells that poo poo is about to go down, and frankly that message from the VP about no future funding or personnel cuts was a dead giveaway - as a contractor, you aren't personnel, and the easiest way to avoid cutting funding is to end a contract, since that is usually considered an on-going expense rather than something that comes out of departmental funding.

Good luck on the job search.

I'm technically a "term-certain employee" and not a contractor, but I guess your point still stands. I shouldn't have believed anything he said after he declared no raises aside from cost of living, and than proceeded to take a 10% raise and a huge bonus. His income from the college is public record so it's not like he was doing it secretly.

I feel worse for my co-workers than for myself though. Even with me they were about half the size of desktop teams for colleges in the province, and the college is expanding over the summer. They're not just ending my term, but permanently closing the position. Guess all I can do now is proof-read all the documentation I've been making and hope the documents can help them.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Yay! Only 40 more hours on the Messaging crew (16 hours this week, and then 12 hours each on Saturday and Sunday) and then I'm off to my virtualization position. I find it rather funny that the person hired to replace me is less than enthused about the prospect of working on the weekend, and in an effort to delay the inevitable leadership decided he could work on third shift during the week days, and the new guy they have in the pipe actually wants to work weekends and third shift (unfortunately for him that's all he wants to work, so the swing shift in 2-1/2 months may not be all that pleasant a surprise). New guy has already stated to a person on third shift that he's likely not going to be around for long, but IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM!!!

I've already filled out my paperwork and the PM has made my move to virtualization a done deal, so no takebacks. Feel sort of sorry for the 2 guys left on my team, but they're trying to get the hell out as fast as they can as well and are plotting on how to make leadership unhappy in ways that can't be retaliated. Am I a bad person for making suggestions to assist with their plans?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Reiz posted:

Triggered.

They're called coreutils because they're always installed, and almost everything you've referenced is part of the SUS and LSB.

Reiz posted:

I'd also complain that the Windows shell is not like the Linux shell, and no switch I've ever touched is like the Linux shell, and postgresql's console isn't like the Linux shell.

It doesn't behave like your preferred interface, but that doesn't really make it a "known issue".

Reiz posted:

less/more/vi tend to use extended or POSIX regexps, depending on what system you're on.

Reiz posted:

I mean, I'm not going to say that's not limited. But that JunOS is just as limited, and that's overtly BSD. Many Linux router distros are also limited in many ways. It's just that it's not intended to do those things.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It does sound like your configs are elaborate enough that you should be managing them through something else anyway, at which point you can check them out and use whatever editor you want on them.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
So I've got $5k of training budget to personally use each year and having a really hard time figuring out what to do with it.

I'm the systems architect for a fairly large conglomerate, designing all of the storage, networking and virtualization for the various companies under our umbrella. Heavy focus on disaster recovery, security and WAN stuff as we are highly distributed geographically.

I don't have any certifications because frankly over the last 10 years I haven't had enough time to pursue them. But I feel like my resume is lacking without them. At this point in my career should I start at the bottom and start grinding up through CCNA-CCNP, VCA, etc? I'm pretty sure my next gig will be more of a management or project management role as these days I spend half my time on calls and in meetings and less and less on the command line. Should I just hold out and give the money back? Should I hit some conferences and network instead? Or should I go try to get as many certs as I can?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Ansible network support is ever growing. They had a whole network panel at ansiblefest last month. Cisco and other vendors are submitting code to the project.
I wish we had the same tools back when I was working at a place where we had to deal with physical network hardware.

Automate all the things.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

whaam posted:

So I've got $5k of training budget to personally use each year and having a really hard time figuring out what to do with it.

I'm the systems architect for a fairly large conglomerate, designing all of the storage, networking and virtualization for the various companies under our umbrella. Heavy focus on disaster recovery, security and WAN stuff as we are highly distributed geographically.

I don't have any certifications because frankly over the last 10 years I haven't had enough time to pursue them. But I feel like my resume is lacking without them. At this point in my career should I start at the bottom and start grinding up through CCNA-CCNP, VCA, etc? I'm pretty sure my next gig will be more of a management or project management role as these days I spend half my time on calls and in meetings and less and less on the command line. Should I just hold out and give the money back? Should I hit some conferences and network instead? Or should I go try to get as many certs as I can?

Do you have enough experience to start a PMP? Get a PMP. Or a CISSP (most architects should have a breadth of knowledge large enough to make this less intimidating).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

whaam posted:

At this point in your career do whatever the hell you feel like you would like to do. You are systems architect. There really isn't that much higher to go outside of the executive path.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Tab8715 posted:

I was in the same boat and got pidgin-holed into being a IBM I Upgrade expert. No matter, I interviewed well and got brought back into the Windows world.

If I were you, I'd try applying for IBM AIX Position and at IBM Business Partners. It may involve a lot of travel which could be a good or a bad thing depending on your circumstances.

Thanks. I usually interview horrible cause I have no confidence in myself :v: Ask me something on the spot and I stumble around trying to get the answer, put me in front of it and I can usually get it though. I also have some iSeries experience (mainly through menus that were set up by the iseries guy), and have access to a test server. I should ask the iSeries dude if I can try doing stuff/breaking things on it

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sickening posted:

At this point in your career do whatever the hell you feel like you would like to do. You are systems architect. There really isn't that much higher to go outside of the executive path.

That was my takeaway, too. What more senior technical role do you aspire to that "X years experience as the systems architect for a fairly large conglomerate" on the resume wouldn't be enough to get you an interview? Most certs are to help you get a foot in the door in the absence of experience. But you already have the experience. Anything short of one of the endgame certs like CCIE or VCDX just seems silly. Even moreso if you seriously expect your next gig to be as a manager vs an individual contributor. No one is going to demand that the Director of Ops running a large team have an active CCNA.

At your stage, going to conferences to make sure you're staying on top of industry trends and best practices sounds like a great investment. And networking never hurts. Or look into more formal project management training, as evol suggested. Or take some people management courses.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

evol262 posted:

Do you have enough experience to start a PMP? Get a PMP. Or a CISSP (most architects should have a breadth of knowledge large enough to make this less intimidating).

I like the idea of a CISSP because security is one of my favorite things to work with, but none of our industries are high security so it may not have as much value for me here anyway. I am strongly considering more of a PM role, but I don't have a degree, which is also another fear I have going into a less technical role. You can get away with no degree as an engineer or architect, once you get into management they start to look at that a lot closer.

Docjowles posted:

That was my takeaway, too. What more senior technical role do you aspire to that "X years experience as the systems architect for a fairly large conglomerate" on the resume wouldn't be enough to get you an interview? Most certs are to help you get a foot in the door in the absence of experience. But you already have the experience. Anything short of one of the endgame certs like CCIE or VCDX just seems silly. Even moreso if you seriously expect your next gig to be as a manager vs an individual contributor. No one is going to demand that the Director of Ops running a large team have an active CCNA.

At your stage, going to conferences to make sure you're staying on top of industry trends and best practices sounds like a great investment. And networking never hurts. Or look into more formal project management training, as evol suggested. Or take some people management courses.

Any good conferences besides VMworld and Cisco live, which I just missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

whaam posted:

Any good conferences besides VMworld and Cisco live, which I just missed?

Depends on your interests. There's a conference for everything these days. I tend to work with open source/Linux/cloud so what I like may not overlap much with you. I've thoroughly enjoyed DevOps Days. OpenStack Summit (Atlanta) was kind of meh, far too much blatant shilling by vendors, although there was some good content, too. I would love to go to Monitorama or SREcon sometime. In general I try to steer away from vendor-specific conferences since I work with such a wide breadth of crap on any given day.

I hear nothing but good stuff about Velocity.