Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

chitoryu12 posted:

I've done a lot of research into soft drink manufacture, and the only way Nuka-Cola is going back into production in Fallout is with artificial flavoring made in a lab. Real colas are made with a unique formula consisting of various spices, herbs, and fruits. This is believed to be an original Coca-Cola recipe:

Alcohol: 8 oz
Orange oil: 20 drops
Cinnamon oil: 10 drops
Lemon oil: 30 drops
Coriander oil: 5 drops
Nutmeg oil: 10 drops
Neroli oil: 10 drops

You'd need active citrus and spice production to keep making most colas, plus plenty of sugar or honey. Unless someone manages to chemistry up some artificial flavoring, Nuka-Cola will eventually run out.

But since Nuka-Cola isn't a real cola, it's actually made with :science: SCIENCE! :science: that can be easily replicated by tossing purified water and various roots into a bucket by a campfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's no real reason for the citrus plants to be extinct.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In Skyrim you could make stew by combining an apple and a handful of salt, that doesn't sound very realistic!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The Locator posted:

Even though I wiped out everyone in the Fort and killed Ceasar, I still get visited by the assassin teams. Oh well, more stuff to shoot.
You're only able to visit part of the Fort. The thing actually goes back some ways. You are given a greater sense of its scale in the intro. It's important to remember that this game isn't about destroying the Legion or NCR. Both survive the battle. It's a matter of Legion getting its Rome and the NCR becoming more sustainable.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
But What do they eat?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

So after I started I Put A Spell On You I go to see Contreras since he's my .306 hookup and he's decked out as a centurion???

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

maev posted:

But What do they eat?

I don't see any farms and there is no evidence that the Legion can grow crops. They have a Bramin pen in Fortification HIll, but there is no grain there for them to feed on and, considering the lack of evidence that the Legion knows how to farm, it's unlikely that they can grow grain for the Bramin to eat.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Groovelord Neato posted:

So after I started I Put A Spell On You I go to see Contreras since he's my .306 hookup and he's decked out as a centurion???

You sold him Centurion armor at some point, I'd bet.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol I must've but you'd think an NCR guy trying to keep his dealings a little secret wouldn't do that.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Isn't Nuka-Cola made from peaches too? I doubt there are many left in the post nuke world.

I thought that "home brewed Nuka-Cola" was meant to be a poor facismile of the real thing. Like it's :airquote: Nuka-cola :airquote: just chug it and don't think too hard about it.

New Vegas 2: House is close to creating synthetic Nuka-Cola, but the NCR, facing massive shortages, decides to take it by force, while the Legion intends to use it to spread thier influence. Which faction will the Courier back with the secret formula? You decide! Given that its addictive to a degree, it running out could be a plot point. Do Mad Max 2, but with Cola rather than petrol as a sidequest.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

closeted republican posted:

I don't see any farms and there is no evidence that the Legion can grow crops. They have a Bramin pen in Fortification HIll, but there is no grain there for them to feed on and, considering the lack of evidence that the Legion knows how to farm, it's unlikely that they can grow grain for the Bramin to eat.

What we see of the Legion's territory in New Vegas is just a foothold so they probably get all their supplies from offscreen. Your average Legion goon isn't going to be doing much farming, but they have slaves and at least some civilians of their own to handle that stuff. Cass mentions that the Legion is super careful about protecting caravans from raiders and that's probably why.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

The Legion is also only a few decades old and most of its members still remember when they were part of one tribe or another. Some of them were probably hunters and foragers (which would fit with random food items and homemade medicines their scouts usually have). Some of them are probably farmers and herdsmen as well, but the Fort is a war camp not a permanent settlement, so it makes sense that their supplies would be coming from back east. In general though, they seem less developed and more adept at surviving in the wasteland than the NCR are. Outside of their military camps (and maybe their capital at Flagstaff), they likely have extremely low population density and meager standards of living with all their surplus production going to support the war effort.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A nation incapable of growing crops would die out.

Ipso facto they have a basic understanding of agriculture, at the very least.

After all, if they follow the Roman idea of society, they must hold agriculture as effectively the highest form of common economic activity.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Duckbag posted:

The Legion is also only a few decades old and most of its members still remember when they were part of one tribe or another. Some of them were probably hunters and foragers (which would fit with random food items and homemade medicines their scouts usually have). Some of them are probably farmers and herdsmen as well, but the Fort is a war camp not a permanent settlement, so it makes sense that their supplies would be coming from back east. In general though, they seem less developed and more adept at surviving in the wasteland than the NCR are. Outside of their military camps (and maybe their capital at Flagstaff), they likely have extremely low population density and meager standards of living with all their surplus production going to support the war effort.

They seem equally adapted to their respective environs, based on what the game tells us. The Legion occupies a sparsely populated land formerly owned by various tribes, the NCR represents an intensive land usage philosophy, given they developed through densely populated areas.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I've only played Fallout 3 and New Vegas on the 360, but I'm planning on picking them up on Steam during the sale. What are the must have mods to improve the graphics and gameplay while keeping faithful to the original game? I don't want anything that radically changes the gameplay.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

reagan posted:

I've only played Fallout 3 and New Vegas on the 360, but I'm planning on picking them up on Steam during the sale. What are the must have mods to improve the graphics and gameplay while keeping faithful to the original game? I don't want anything that radically changes the gameplay.

Project Nevada: Allows you to manually adjust virtually all gameplay systems (by default to make the game much harder), also introduces some optional stuff like sprint and bullet time (alternative to VATS) or a different implant system.
More Perks: Most of these are just for flavour, but some are interesting and weird.
Vurt's Wasteland flora overhaul: My favourite mod of them all, it populates the wasteland with plenty of new great-looking plants, which make it far more lively.
Tailor Maid - gives you several dozens of accessories that allow you to match and combine elements from various armor sets. It's basically a doll house mod.
Nevada Skies: New, more varied and more detailed weather effects, also clears up the annoying orange filter of the base game.
Fallout character overhaul: Allows you to create characters that look more like humans than potatoes. Highly recommended, though it may be annoying to install.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Freeside Open and The Strip Open, if your computer can run them. They remove the partitions so Freeside and the Strip are each one big area, which makes the running around for quests much easier and both feel more lived-in.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Those all sound great. Are there similar mods for Fallout 3?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OldMemes posted:

Isn't Nuka-Cola made from peaches too? I doubt there are many left in the post nuke world.

I thought that "home brewed Nuka-Cola" was meant to be a poor facismile of the real thing. Like it's :airquote: Nuka-cola :airquote: just chug it and don't think too hard about it.

There's background fluff on a passion fruit famine in 2044 where people noticed the taste difference. The home-brewed stuff is basically just "It perks you up and maybe tastes like the real thing?" The actual Nuka-Cola is probably a limited commodity until industry and agriculture pick back up or someone makes artificial flavoring that simulates it.

quote:

Do Mad Max 2, but with Cola rather than petrol as a sidequest.

"Today we're haulin' Nuka-Cola!"

"NUKA-COLA!"

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
What's the default key on PC for picking something up but not adding it to your inventory? Where you just kinda hold it in front of you?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

reagan posted:

Those all sound great. Are there similar mods for Fallout 3?

Well, there's the Tale of Two Wastelands mod which integrates all the New Vegas mods into the FO3 world.

Other than that the FO3 modding scene is quite disappointing, unless you want lovely tactireal weapons like AK47.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

There's a strong implication that both the Legion and NCR are both strongly, strongly dependent on their respective supply lines vs having enough farms inside the Fort to feed the entire army.

Not entirely sure what people are looking for with the Legion from an economic standpoint given that the literal entirety of their terrain that you have access to is their port stronghold and the fort, where do you expect to see a full logistics infrastructure?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Azhais posted:

There's a strong implication that both the Legion and NCR are both strongly, strongly dependent on their respective supply lines vs having enough farms inside the Fort to feed the entire army.

Not entirely sure what people are looking for with the Legion from an economic standpoint given that the literal entirety of their terrain that you have access to is their port stronghold and the fort, where do you expect to see a full logistics infrastructure?

It's literally people being idiots. "Their advance base features no fields of crops? They are obviously starving, also I'm autistic"

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Capsaicin posted:

What's the default key on PC for picking something up but not adding it to your inventory? Where you just kinda hold it in front of you?

V or X, I forget.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Capsaicin posted:

'Z' - I used it earlier today to steal all the guns from the Van Graff's shop (forget the name) in Freeside.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
wrong tread

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I picked this up recently and having never played a Fallout game before I am horribly confused.

I did manage to send some weird zombies off on an awesome rocket adventure though, and I seem to have some sort of floating robot following me around which is cool.

I got the GotY edition and I have loads of quests, some of which seem to be really high level. I don't suppose there is any way for the game to give me a recommended level for quests in the pip boy is there?

I went to find some caravan which has been in my quest log since I started the game, it seems quite close to Primm where you start actually, up to the North, however even staying on the road I keep getting attacked by these werewolf things and they absolutely wreck me. In fact every time I stray off-road I seem to find some nega-monster which just destroys me.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Dravs posted:

I picked this up recently and having never played a Fallout game before I am horribly confused.

I did manage to send some weird zombies off on an awesome rocket adventure though, and I seem to have some sort of floating robot following me around which is cool.

I got the GotY edition and I have loads of quests, some of which seem to be really high level. I don't suppose there is any way for the game to give me a recommended level for quests in the pip boy is there?

I went to find some caravan which has been in my quest log since I started the game, it seems quite close to Primm where you start actually, up to the North, however even staying on the road I keep getting attacked by these werewolf things and they absolutely wreck me. In fact every time I stray off-road I seem to find some nega-monster which just destroys me.

You're doing one of the harder DLCs. You should do them around level 20 and familiar with game, because they're pretty dramatically different from the main game.

As for quests, the enemies scale with you outside of DLC. So you're usually never walled by a quest.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
How do I know which quests are DLC then? I can't see anything in the pip boy which seems to differentiate.

I mean for reference. The pip boy sent me to some area called the divide, and before I went into that area I hit an invisible wall with a pop up that literally said do not go into this area until you are level 25+. But I have not seen anything similar with any of the other quests.

Is it just a Darwin award thing, where I just need to avoid areas that are going to wreck me? I mean, that's fine if it is the case, it would just be nice to have some kind of indicator in the pip boy which quests are doable for my level (ie, not DLC).

Dravs fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 15, 2015

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Dravs posted:

How do I know which quests are DLC then? I can't see anything in the pip boy which seems to differentiate.

I mean for reference. The pip boy sent me to some area called the divide, and before I went into that area I hit an invisible wall with a pop up that literally said do not go into this area until you are level 25+. But I have not seen anything similar with any of the other quests.

Is it just a Darwin award thing, where I just need to avoid areas that are going to wreck me? I mean, that's fine if it is the case, it would just be nice to have some kind of indicator in the pip boy which quests are doable for my level (ie, not DLC).

There's a point for each on your map that will show as unexplored immediately as you start the game. Mojave Drive In, Abandoned BoS bunker, Canyon Wreckage, Northern Passage. If the quest points you to one of those it is DLC.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The fallout 4 thread is the worst poo poo, apparently not wanting to have a super railroaded character intro or wanting to choose their sexuality is whingy tumblrina bullshit or something.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

khwarezm posted:

The fallout 4 thread is the worst poo poo, apparently not wanting to have a super railroaded character intro or wanting to choose their sexuality is whingy tumblrina bullshit or something.

If you wanted to pick your gender and sexuality you should be playing a game that supports it. Like any of the Fallout games.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

khwarezm posted:

fallout 4 is the worst poo poo

Condensed your post a little bit, hope you don't mind.

VV: Arcade is not exactly in the closet, and the gay marriage in Fallout 2 (which came out in 1998 for what that's worth) was nothing out of the ordinary, it's 100% the same regardless of characters' genders IIRC. Fallout society doesn't seem very close to the 1950s in that regard at least.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 15, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

khwarezm posted:

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the railroad-y character intro, but to be fair it's not entirely unreasonable to expect that you can still choose to play a gay character. Fallout's Future 1950s are unlikely to be any kinder to GLBT individuals as the actual 1950s, so you could easily argue that your character is gay, but had to live a closeted life before the bombs fell. At least, I'm hoping Bethesda will allow this, since it'd be pretty dumb otherwise.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I am never gonna understand people playing sandbox games and complaining about having more options.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

I am never gonna understand people playing sandbox games and complaining about having more options.

Because it's all relative? The addition of Y doesn't negate the removal of X, and vice versa; on that same line of thought, just because they add Y doesn't mean anything meaningful was added to the game.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 15, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Pope Guilty posted:

A guy I was watching the steam with said he didn't like games where you can customize your character :psyduck: Some people are just nuts, I guess.

Serperoth posted:

Condensed your post a little bit, hope you don't mind.

VV: Arcade is not exactly in the closet, and the gay marriage in Fallout 2 (which came out in 1998 for what that's worth) was nothing out of the ordinary, it's 100% the same regardless of characters' genders IIRC. Fallout society doesn't seem very close to the 1950s in that regard at least.

New Vegas and Fallout 2 take place well after the bombs fell, when Pre-War culture was all-but eradicated in everything but the Vaults. We don't know a tremendous amount about pre-war culture in that specific regard, but like I said if it's anything like it was in the actual 1950s it's not hard to imagine playing a forcibly-closeted character.

Fake Edit: Also, even in New Vegas, you have Major Knight at the Mojave Outpost and Veronica as counter-examples to Arcade and the marriage from Fallout 2.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I wish they'd rename it, they bought the brand and now fallout apparently means "wacky post nuclear sandbox woohoo" to most people.

I laughed when they talk about reconstructing the wastes and turned that into some sort of Animal Crossing mode.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

New Vegas and Fallout 2 take place well after the bombs fell, when Pre-War culture was all-but eradicated in everything but the Vaults. We don't know a tremendous amount about pre-war culture in that specific regard, but like I said if it's anything like it was in the actual 1950s it's not hard to imagine playing a forcibly-closeted character.

Fake Edit: Also, even in New Vegas, you have Major Knight at the Mojave Outpost and Veronica as counter-examples to Arcade and the marriage from Fallout 2.

The post mentioned "Fallout's Future 1950s are unlikely to be any kinder to GLBT individuals as the actual 1950s", which means either "Fallout's parallel 1950s" or "the post-War 1950's aesthetic". One of them is irrelevant to the game (the first one, since the game takes place after the war obviously), and the latter would be incorrect, since the post-War Fallout world has shown to not give fucks about gender or sexuality. Soldiers at an outpost frowning upon homosexual relationships is entirely different from the world being opposed to them. One place does not counteract multiple examples of homosexuality (and other non-straight sexualities) being accepted. Hell, in Wang Dang Atomic Tango, the Garrett guy is 100% ok with Beatrix not being a dude, his response is "Oh it's a woman. No prob, can't have it all."

Kurtofan posted:

I wish they'd rename it, they bought the brand and now fallout apparently means "wacky post nuclear sandbox woohoo" to most people.

I laughed when they talk about reconstructing the wastes and turned that into some sort of Animal Crossing mode.

:agreed:

EDIT: Hell, the pre-War stuff barely touches on the 50's, it should take place in the 2060s or so (since the Great War happens in 2077)

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I hate how there's an assumption that all homosexuality has been scoured from the game because your protagonist starts the game married with a kid.

Do bisexual people not exist any more?