Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

So how about that Bethesda.net distribution platform then? Get your five dollar fishing mods right here!

Think the Bethesda.net thing is just a redesign of the website with some functionality for mods being shared across Xbox One/PS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

PerpetualSelf posted:

Wah my $50 game that literally costs less than a full day's minimum wage is not 100% perfect wahhh

I'm glad you came back, thanks for your posts

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Looked at the house customization vid and saw there's a stand for the SPECIAL bobbleheads, and it does look like they've got bobbleheads for skills, as there's one for Barter in one of the menus. Of course, this could just unlock a perk for you called Barter, who knows. In any case, there's 7 spaces on the bottom rack for your SPECIAL stats, and about 13 spaces for other bobbleheads. So maybe they're sticking with the 13 New Vegas skills?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

CJacobs posted:

That is a shame. I really don't like giving the main character a more established backstory than "grew up in a vault" or "was a courier". Fallout 3 had you play through your childhood and it was one of the best parts of the game, I feel, because it allowed you to shape your character's history. This game, from what I've read, just GIVES you a history and you have to shape the character around that. Which sucks.

Your character's backstory is that you are a generic conservative living in the suburbs.

The worst part about Bethesda's conference was the lack of professional dancers and talk about "new experiences". Where were the little kid actors pretending to play a video game? Where was the forced dialogue between a man and a woman that have never talked to the opposite sex? Bethesda needs to get this fixed for next year.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I hope they take out the lockpicking and hacking minigames and make them skill/perk checks instead.

They aren't fun in any game.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Volkerball posted:

oh yes, games is definitely lacking in manbabies.

"I wish and, based on the history, doubt that the game will live up to its 90s history of memorable words and setting" doesn't really seem like a mewling complaint to me

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

ShadowMar posted:

I hope they take out the lockpicking and hacking minigames and make them skill/perk checks instead.

Might as well take it out completely since it's not fun at all to spam a door until it magically unlocks for you.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Yaos posted:

Might as well take it out completely since it's not fun at all to spam a door until it magically unlocks for you.

A skill check would be nice.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Think the Bethesda.net thing is just a redesign of the website with some functionality for mods being shared across Xbox One/PS4

If there were going to be no paid mods, they would have clearly said so to clear the air. That they tip toed around the issue all but guarantees that they're in imo

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Yaos posted:

Your character's backstory is that you are a generic conservative living in the suburbs.

The worst part about Bethesda's conference was the lack of professional dancers and talk about "new experiences". Where were the little kid actors pretending to play a video game? Where was the forced dialogue between a man and a woman that have never talked to the opposite sex? Bethesda needs to get this fixed for next year.

I would have settled for having a true-to-style dialogue sequence where they zoom in uncomfortably close to each presenter's face while they stare uncomfortably into the camera while the audience spouts off single words as speech choices.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Yaos posted:

They could just do the New Vegas way of making it so you only have to meet a flat number to get a success, instead of the percent chance way Fallout 3 did things.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

ShadowMar posted:

my guilty admission is that after I figured out how the Oblivion lockpicking game worked I actually loved it, making it the only part of the game I actually looked forward to

I thought the FO3/NV hacking game was kinda interesting, but given that I just reloaded every time I failed anyway, I wish it'd just made me start over when I hosed it up rather'n locking me out. didn't like the FO3/Skyrim lockpicking minigame at all.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

crawlkill posted:

I have no problem with the changes? New Vegas was great. I have a problem with the setting, the narrative and the dialogue not being worth the storage space the take up on my computer, which is Bethesda's MO. that was a really weird assumption

Well I was having a difficult time understanding what you meant with the, and I quote, 'rape of what was my favorite IP' as you didn't go into much detail there. The single biggest and most glaring change moving from the isometric games was the sweeping gameplay changes that Bethesda made in making it more of a shooter but retaining the RPG elements, so naturally I assumed this was the sexual assault you referred to.

The setting seemed fine to me. The narrative, to me, seemed like it had problems (There were some fairly obvious plot holes) but not to the point where it was doing permanent damage to the series.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

SunAndSpring posted:

They could just do the New Vegas way of making it so you only have to meet a flat number to get a success, instead of the percent chance way Fallout 3 did things.

I hope skill/perk/etc checks don't have chances to fail like Fallout 3's speech checks, that was really terrible.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

crawlkill posted:

I think variability in builds is a very good thing, personally. what made the good Fallouts special was never "I put enough points into Small Guns." the difference between two playthroughs in a game--any game that takes environmental decisions into account--should be the choices you make about the world. ultimately, -you will muddle through,- combat-wise, and there's no reasonable reason to lock you into one particular build. people who don't like respects don't have to take them.

it's not locking you into a particular build. it's just that with the way skill levels and perks worked, you could either specialize in a few things, or jack of all trades it and not exceptional in anything. if you wanted to be the max strongest at melee a character could be, it would detract a lot from what you could do in other categories, because you would be taking several perks and dumping a lot of skill points into melee and unarmed. it's kind of like how the special system works. you have x points, and that's it, aside from a few boosts you get throughout the game. how you spend them will define how your character will act and grow. if there was a route to having 10 in every special stat, then it would make restarting counter-productive and uninteresting no matter the circumstances.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 15, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Is there even going to be any skills in the game? Because there was nothing in the PipBoy about them or in character customization. It looked like you'd be hypercompetent at everything right from the start.

In other words it's a goddamn shooting game now, not an RPG.
Ugh, the Fallout 4 reveal was much worse than I thought it would be.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Looked at the house customization vid and saw there's a stand for the SPECIAL bobbleheads, and it does look like they've got bobbleheads for skills, as there's one for Barter in one of the menus. Of course, this could just unlock a perk for you called Barter, who knows. In any case, there's 7 spaces on the bottom rack for your SPECIAL stats, and about 13 spaces for other bobbleheads. So maybe they're sticking with the 13 New Vegas skills?

I think it's more likely that skills and perks have been reorganized into skill trees. The skills will just correspond to the trees.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think, in my own life, if I had the tunnel snakes' outfit, it would make me more perceptive. Sorry

khy
Aug 15, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't think, in my own life, if I had the tunnel snakes' outfit, it would make me more perceptive. Sorry

Of course it would. You'd be more focused on everyone checking out your sweet jacket and more aware of everyone around you lest they spill food/drink on your sweet jacket.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

khy posted:

Well I was having a difficult time understanding what you meant with the, and I quote, 'rape of what was my favorite IP' as you didn't go into much detail there. The single biggest and most glaring change moving from the isometric games was the sweeping gameplay changes that Bethesda made in making it more of a shooter but retaining the RPG elements, so naturally I assumed this was the sexual assault you referred to.

The setting seemed fine to me. The narrative, to me, seemed like it had problems (There were some fairly obvious plot holes) but not to the point where it was doing permanent damage to the series.

yes, excuse me, I was using hyperbolic language unthoughtfully and understand how it could look absurd to someone who wasn't tuned to that wavelength. I think the Fallout 3 engine sucks, but lots of great games have been built in terrible engines. my complaint was purely about unmemorable characters, unmemorable locations, an uprooting of the "weird west" setting to dump the game in a soggy East Coast (some people might not agree that that's fundamental to Fallout, which is fine, but to me, it'll always be in a blistered orange desert). Fallout 3 alone might not to permanent damage to the series, but Bethesda has a long history of boring and overgrand plots, characters it's impossible to care about and inscrutable settings. Fallouts 1 and 2 had relatively poo poo combat (oh my god, the oil tanker basement, kill me now); they (and New Vegas) made up for it with a middling-strong sense of agency and conversations with personality. to my mind, those two elements are the core of the Fallout series, and they're Bethesda's weakest points (...along with all the other weak points).

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

EDIT: nvm

Morbleu fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 15, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ShadowMar posted:

I hope skill/perk/etc checks don't have chances to fail like Fallout 3's speech checks, that was really terrible.
That and the "flat skill requirement" allowed for the best dialogue options in the game in the failure dialogue.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Volkerball posted:

it's not locking you into a particular build. it's just that with the way skill levels and perks worked, you could either specialize in a few things, or jack of all trades it and not exceptional in anything. if you wanted to be the max strongest at melee a character could be, it would detract a lot from what you could do in other categories, because you would be taking several perks and dumping a lot of skill points into melee and unarmed. it's kind of like how the special system works. you have x points, and that's it, aside from a few boosts you get throughout the game. how you spend them will define how your character will act and grow. if there was a route to having 10 in every special stat, then it would make restarting counter-productive and uninteresting no matter the circumstances.

whatever the case (I think I missed that part of the video), the way numbers increment is a wayyy overfocused topic by some RPG nerds. there are a few tabletop games where it's really interesting (Greg Stolze's Dirty World/Better Angels, where your numbers increment based on how horrible or self-denying a person you are!), but in CRPGs, what's important is how excited the player feels when they level up, more than the specific way that excitement is accomplished (one of my big problems with Pillars of Eternity, I just gave no fucks when I leveled).

I don't think I agree that 10-in-everything would make restarting/replays boring, though, -if- the path through the game were dynamic. in New Vegas, you could decide the course of basically every community you moved through. even with all options unlocked, ultimatums would be issued.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

ShadowMar posted:

Same. That percent-chance poo poo only works in tabletop games because you can't do it over in those and the GM can adjust the scenario on the fly.

Republican Vampire posted:

I think it's more likely that skills and perks have been reorganized into skill trees.

I've seen poo poo like that in traditional games like Exalted and World of Darkness and it works ok there. I just hope they don't make it so that you're good at everything ever even without the right perks. Also, I hope they make it so you automatically get your percent increases to gun damage and poo poo like that from picking any perk in the gun tree, rather than making it so there's one boring perk that you have to take if you want more gun damage like Skyrim had.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

That and the "flat skill requirement" allowed for the best dialogue options in the game in the failure dialogue.

I was thinking about that when playing Pillars, which by default exposes options you don't have but doesn't show you an actual line for them. the failure lines in New Vegas were wonderful.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I liked that failed Barter check when you give Mr. House the Platinum Chip where you go, "You better give me more caps or you'll be, eh... "chip" out of luck?"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I just realized there's actually working lifts in the trailer. :aaaaa:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Codsworth not voiced by John Cleese, game sucks

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm so happy VATS is slow time instead of total pause, it's like they really paid attention to the popular mods and went "gently caress IT ADD THIS TO THE GAME"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm pissed off that Fallout Shelter is a timed ios exclusive. What kind of rear end in a top hat releases for the platform with the least market-share? my one ios device is a loving 5c that's not even fit to piss on.

Anyway, I'm pretty hyped for Fallout 4. I wasn't expecting what I was shown, but the customization options are pretty neat. I bet the story will be garbage, but I see enough New Things here that even if its not the One True Fallout Experience i'll be happily entertained none the less. The weapon/power armor customization seemed pretty rad, and the character customization was sweet too.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

crawlkill posted:

whatever the case (I think I missed that part of the video), the way numbers increment is a wayyy overfocused topic by some RPG nerds. there are a few tabletop games where it's really interesting (Greg Stolze's Dirty World/Better Angels, where your numbers increment based on how horrible or self-denying a person you are!), but in CRPGs, what's important is how excited the player feels when they level up, more than the specific way that excitement is accomplished (one of my big problems with Pillars of Eternity, I just gave no fucks when I leveled).

I don't think I agree that 10-in-everything would make restarting/replays boring, though, -if- the path through the game were dynamic. in New Vegas, you could decide the course of basically every community you moved through. even with all options unlocked, ultimatums would be issued.

I agree that's the most important part, but New Vegas also had replay value due to different growth routes you could take as a character. So there were 2 solid incentives that made restarting fun and fresh, to the point that I'd be halfway through the game and want to restart and try it differently. If the character building dynamic has been taken away, then yeah, you'll still have the appeal of "I want to side with the legion this time" type decisions, but you're also like fuuuuck I really don't want to restart and grind my medicine skill again because it's the exact same thing I already did in this save. I expect the path to be really dynamic, but I don't know that the story will be so compelling that I'll play through the game 4 or 5 times just to experience it in a different way when there's not an interesting character growth opportunity presented when you restart to provide more of a bonus to doing it.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

PerpetualSelf posted:

If that's your experience with Bethesda games you must no have played them much.

I bet you think Bioshock Infinite had good gameplay.

Lol, I bet you think at least one video game was mediocre at best.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

crawlkill posted:

yes, excuse me, I was using hyperbolic language unthoughtfully and understand how it could look absurd to someone who wasn't tuned to that wavelength. I think the Fallout 3 engine sucks, but lots of great games have been built in terrible engines. my complaint was purely about unmemorable characters, unmemorable locations, an uprooting of the "weird west" setting to dump the game in a soggy East Coast (some people might not agree that that's fundamental to Fallout, which is fine, but to me, it'll always be in a blistered orange desert). Fallout 3 alone might not to permanent damage to the series, but Bethesda has a long history of boring and overgrand plots, characters it's impossible to care about and inscrutable settings. Fallouts 1 and 2 had relatively poo poo combat (oh my god, the oil tanker basement, kill me now); they (and New Vegas) made up for it with a middling-strong sense of agency and conversations with personality. to my mind, those two elements are the core of the Fallout series, and they're Bethesda's weakest points (...along with all the other weak points).

I definitely would have to disagree with many of your points. I will partially agree about 'unmemorable characters'. There WERE some very memorable characters but far fewer in FO3 than in other games. As for the location/setting, honestly I felt like it was an interesting enough place. I didn't play FO1/2 until after 3, so it could be argued that since I didn't experience California before the east coast it wasn't ingrained into my psyche that the game MUST be set out west. All the same, there were plenty of places I enjoyed, tons of sights that I found amusing/interesting, and several spots which were truly memorable. I don't know if I'll ever forget the first time I fought a super mutant behemoth, with a fat man that I had stumbled across just a couple minutes before. Or the virtual reality neighborhood. Or escorting Liberty Prime to the purifier. Or... well you get my point.

As for the rest, well... Bethesda's actually shown improvement upon its plots and characters. FO3 was an improvement over Oblivion, and Skyrim was a big improvement over FO3. I won't argue that in the past they haven't had issues with characters being a bit generic, but I would say that there are always a few in every game who stand out, and that number has been growing with each release. If you want to judge them by their history, you should take that into consideration as well.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I bet he thinks Fallout 3 made sense, even though it had no farms. :laffo:

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

khy posted:

I didn't play FO1/2 until after 3, so it could be argued that since I didn't experience California before the east coast it wasn't ingrained into my psyche that the game MUST be set out west.

I was playing FO1 and 2 at single-digit age while living in Northern California, so you may understand why I'm more invested in that setting than you are.

khy posted:

FO3 was an improvement over Oblivion, and Skyrim was a big improvement over FO3.

I'm sorry, I flat-out disagree. they were all narrative and player agency zeroes. I remember not one single character from Oblivion. I remember one character from FO3, and that's only because 3Dog has been called out as being annoying all over the internet ever since. I never did get very far in Skyrim--all 50 hours I invested in it were frontloaded, trying over and over to understood what I did wrong, but I did notice that my 'thane' had no personality at all and would tend to get lost and disappear. that ain't no Myron. that ain't no Cassidy.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

crawlkill posted:

I was playing FO1 and 2 at single-digit age while living in Northern California, so you may understand why I'm more invested in that setting than you are.

I'm sorry, I flat-out disagree. they were all narrative and player agency zeroes. I remember not one single character from Oblivion. I remember one character from FO3, and that's only because 3Dog has been called out as being annoying all over the internet ever since. I never did get very far in Skyrim--all 50 hours I invested in it were frontloaded, trying over and over to understood what I did wrong, but I did notice that my 'thane' had no personality at all and would tend to get lost and disappear. that ain't no Myron. that ain't no Cassidy.

It's okay to chill out and enjoy video games sometimes, you know. I can't imagine hate-playing a game for 50 hours but it sounds tedious and exhausting.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

khy posted:

As for the rest, well... Bethesda's actually shown improvement upon its plots and characters. FO3 was an improvement over Oblivion, and Skyrim was a big improvement over FO3. I won't argue that in the past they haven't had issues with characters being a bit generic, but I would say that there are always a few in every game who stand out, and that number has been growing with each release. If you want to judge them by their history, you should take that into consideration as well.

What was Oblivion compared to Morrowind?

Anyway this seems like the exact opposite of what I want from a Fallout game so I'll probably buy it when it's $15-20 on a Steam Sale and hopefully Obsidian gets to make another good one.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

crawlkill posted:

So basically you're unwilling to let even the tiniest bit of your nostalgia of playing FO1 and FO2 as a kid go. You really are the prototypical hardcore Fallout fanboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

bhlaab posted:

What was Oblivion compared to Morrowind?

Anyway this seems like the exact opposite of what I want from a Fallout game so I'll probably buy it when it's $15-20 on a Steam Sale and hopefully Obsidian gets to make another good one.
Postal 4 is looking to be spectacular I can't wait to play it when it comes out this November

• Locked thread