Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't think the walls are especially thin in the new apartment? It's a sturdy old building, kinda Brutalist in style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Battle Pigeon posted:

We do! What size is this?

Adult Lifetime Fine. There is definitely a size difference in the pellets between the last two bags I bought. I've emailed them to find out if this is a production error or a permanent change.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah sun conures are actually the loudest parrot in the world in a body size:decibel ratio. Macaws and 'toos are louder, of course, but they're also much bigger.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Adult Lifetime Fine. There is definitely a size difference in the pellets between the last two bags I bought. I've emailed them to find out if this is a production error or a permanent change.

Let me/us know what you hear, please? That's what Inko eats, and it would suck to have to go back to smashing up larger pellets for him again.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
(Incidentally, if anyone has any good ideas for conure names, I'm all ears. :allears: Ideally it'd fit with Gnosis and Hubris as names.)

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I'm no parrot professional, but it sounds like anything but a budgie can break out with terrible piercing screams audible to neighbors if they feel upset. As for green cheeks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST6cp4t872k

Even though they're the quietest overall, they can still muster up some terrible screeches.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

painted bird posted:

(Incidentally, if anyone has any good ideas for conure names, I'm all ears. :allears: Ideally it'd fit with Gnosis and Hubris as names.)

Kaiju!

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Hi bird goons! Posting from the west coast with my birbs! They were the bestest passengers ever :3: Nugget did a lot of "PEEP? PEEP!"ing and pacing like a maniac in her carrier as we walked through airports but as soon as I put a cover over her and slid her under the seat in front of me she was totally silent for our two flights. Ozzy was pretty much silent all day until we were leaving the airport in Seattle. A lot of people at the airports stopped to say hi to Nugget and tell her how cute her little cheek patches are :3: We were the last people to deplane in Seattle and the flight attendant stopped us to say hi to our birdies and he gave them each a wings pin for being such good passengers.

A++ would fly with United with my birds again. The whole process was exactly as easy and straightforward as what I was told on the phone- how often does that happen?!

Ozzy peeking out from under his cover:

anotherblownsave posted:

I'm going to be a bird owner soon, I read through the OP and did some research of my own. A good friend of mine has two wonderful cockatiels, that are about 17 years old, very social and wonderful pets. Every time I'm at my friends house I love giving the birds scritches and holding them. Today my friend told me that for my wedding present he's buying me a cockatiel of my own. My wife and I are very excited, she's owned budgies before but I'm a bird rookie. Any advice would be helpful, and I'm wondering if there's anything specific I should do to bird-proof my place so my new friend doesn't get into trouble. Also I'm wondering about cage placement, near a window or not? I've also read that they can get night frights if their cage is covered, how common is this, or any thoughts about covering the cage? I feel like that would be awful for the bird and I'd feel bad doing it.

Yessss! One of us! Hi ABS, I'm the owner of your favorite catbird ;) I would recommend a female cockatiel if you get a choice, they are quieter and a little more chill than male cockatiels. As far as bird-proofing, cockatiels are pretty stupid but not really able to cause a lot of damage to your stuff. When the bird is out, keep an eye on it, especially if it is on the floor because they love to find wires to chew on.

Night frights- my cockatiel gets them but having a night light has virtually eliminated their occurrence.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

painted bird posted:

Echos

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I pet a jenday conure day before yesterday. It liked to cuddle

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

painted bird posted:

Animus!

I also like auctor (one who speaks with authority) and dominus/domina (master/mistress).

And last one is novitas, for newness and strangeness.

e: Spiritus, tyrannus, credo, fideles, gratia.

And don't forget peccavi, which is is used in confessional to mean, "I have sinned."

Eejit fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 15, 2015

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Name him Angelo

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
No wait name him nemesis

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Pip pip pip posted:

Yessss! One of us! Hi ABS, I'm the owner of your favorite catbird ;) I would recommend a female cockatiel if you get a choice, they are quieter and a little more chill than male cockatiels. As far as bird-proofing, cockatiels are pretty stupid but not really able to cause a lot of damage to your stuff. When the bird is out, keep an eye on it, especially if it is on the floor because they love to find wires to chew on.

Night frights- my cockatiel gets them but having a night light has virtually eliminated their occurrence.

Oh hey catwife! I may have a choice but my buddy recommended a male so I didnt have to deal with egg laying/binding, and also because I want a social bird. I will definitely get a night light for the bird and pics will be posted once I get it. Haven't even given names a thought yet. Glad your move out west went well :)

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

We haven't had any egg laying/binding issues, but that is a legitimate concern. Female cockatiels are just as social as males though! They are just more quiet about it. It's definitely personal preference though- males can learn some cool tunes :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Pip pip pip posted:

Hi bird goons! Posting from the west coast with my birbs! They were the bestest passengers ever :3: Nugget did a lot of "PEEP? PEEP!"ing and pacing like a maniac in her carrier as we walked through airports but as soon as I put a cover over her and slid her under the seat in front of me she was totally silent for our two flights. Ozzy was pretty much silent all day until we were leaving the airport in Seattle. A lot of people at the airports stopped to say hi to Nugget and tell her how cute her little cheek patches are :3: We were the last people to deplane in Seattle and the flight attendant stopped us to say hi to our birdies and he gave them each a wings pin for being such good passengers.

A++ would fly with United with my birds again. The whole process was exactly as easy and straightforward as what I was told on the phone- how often does that happen?!

Ozzy peeking out from under his cover:

Spent way too long trying to see Ozzy peeking in the dark somewhere. That's great it went so smoothly! And the pins are just :3: What do they look like?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

painted bird posted:

I feel like Pathos is a great fit.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pip pip pip posted:

We haven't had any egg laying/binding issues, but that is a legitimate concern. Female cockatiels are just as social as males though! They are just more quiet about it. It's definitely personal preference though- males can learn some cool tunes :3:

Yeah female cockatiels are generally very much potato birds compared to males. Mine will just perch on top of the cage and not do anything at all versus Archer who will fly around and check things out. Usually if they are active it's because they're following Archer.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Battle Pigeon posted:

Let me/us know what you hear, please? That's what Inko eats, and it would suck to have to go back to smashing up larger pellets for him again.

It was a production fault apparently and they're sending me a free bag. The representative said that my lot number (1048SC, with a Use Before of January 2016) came out larger and harder than usual.

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Yeah female cockatiels are generally very much potato birds compared to males. Mine will just perch on top of the cage and not do anything at all versus Archer who will fly around and check things out. Usually if they are active it's because they're following Archer.

I don't know. My female tiel was definitely the more clownish of the two. She was a massive troublemaker but was always more adventurous, and she loved hanging upside down and fanning her wings. My male is less so, but I don't know if that's just because he's less adventurous since she died a few months ago and wants to hang out closer to me. But he was always less entertaining to watch, even though he was always smarter.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 15, 2015

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Battle Pigeon posted:

Spent way too long trying to see Ozzy peeking in the dark somewhere. That's great it went so smoothly! And the pins are just :3: What do they look like?

The little whitish spot is the white around his eye :haw:

Ozzy is being a screamy twitchy little poo poo today. I don't know if he doesn't like our temporary housing or if he just used up all his Good yesterday :sigh:

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I don't know. My female tiel was definitely the more clownish of the two. She was a massive troublemaker but was always more adventurous, and she loved hanging upside down and fanning her wings.

Nugget doesn't really get into too much trouble but she also hangs upside down sometimes and fans her wings pretty much every day :3:

Pip pip pip fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 16, 2015

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i havent seen a bird poop on another bird yet, though i did see a lorikeet piss on a peacock

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Pretty sure lorikeets don't piss. They have very liquid poops though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dreggon posted:

i havent seen a bird poop on another bird yet, though i did see a lorikeet piss on a peacock
I was once at a penguin habitat where the zookeeper was explaining to a little girl that yes, the penguins were nice to each other. At that moment a penguin on a raised platform took a projectile poo poo onto another penguin at least 10 feet away. It was pretty impressive.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori has chewed on the ends of his longest tail feathers since before we got him, and he's carried on ever since, but it's only lately I've seen why... he's chewing off the feather barbs at the end to leave only the quill, then standing there, still-attached tail feather in his foot, and using it to scratch himself on his head

(He doesn't do it with unattached feathers)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

here are a couple cute + cool gifs a friend sent me this morning :3: Naturally their embed format doesn't work on SA so enjoy these links.

kitten + baby chickens (adorable) http://i.imgur.com/Ut7UkJa.gifv
slow motion woodpecker (awesome) http://i.imgur.com/RDAU5p3.gifv

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Almost horror story for the thread. My parents have an African grey, Kai and sometimes watch another Grey, Roosevelt for some Friends. Kai is a small female who is clipped while Roosevelt is a larger male who's owners don't clip. Our bird bonded to my dad so we were hoping a real male bird would draw her interest but that's another story. Last time Roosevelt was being boarded at my parents house he waddled right out the front dog door. My mom then went outside to get him but he spooked and flew up a tree. Determine to get him before he flew off, my mom got a ladder and tried to get him a second time. No good. Off he went higher and higher until he disappeared. That night my dad tried leaving all the windows open and played wild african flock noises off youtube out into the night hoping it would get him back. No luck. That day my mom put up fliers and took out a newspaper ad. The same day we get a call from an estate law firm asking if we had lost a bird. It turned out Roosevelt had flown 5 miles away and landed in the yard of this paralegal who happened to know just what bird it was due to the recent handling of a african grey who's owner had provisions in the will for it. The nice young woman brought the bird into their work, kept it in the office until she saw my mom putting up fliers. She happily gave Roosevelt back and after a vet check everything was okay. Needless to say the owners did not let us watch him again but did start clipping his wings.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Like a toddler reclining on a pile of candy.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
So uh, an amazing thing happened today in AusPol:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

:buddy:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Knifegrab posted:

We have a blind parakeet, he got a sickness that caused swelling in his head and he went blind shortly after. He has been better for months now but he is still completely blind. Would it be a bad idea to get him another parakeet to help keep him company?

Anyone have any thoughts on this. He seems scared a lot of the time and I think that having a friend could make him feel better. But I also worry that either he or the other bird could bully eachother because he cannot see.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Do you have a rescue or a good bird store nearby that would let you foster a budgie for a few weeks, to see how your blind budgie reacts to having a friend? I think getting him a buddy is a good idea, definitely.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
So it looks like my bird is finally ready to come home from the bird store (they were keeping him there to ween him off the formula for about 6 weeks after I paid for him). Anything specific I should know/have when I bring him home? I know that a sizeable cage, food, and toys/perches are a must, but is there anything else? Also, I've read that it's best to let your bird get used to its surroundings for about 3 days before trying to take it out of the cage (while still being around and talking to it to get it used to your presence). Any truth to this? If he seems friendly and willing should I let him out to hang out with me?

You've all probably been asked this question a million times but I just wanna make sure :ohdear:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Antoine Silvere posted:

So it looks like my bird is finally ready to come home from the bird store (they were keeping him there to ween him off the formula for about 6 weeks after I paid for him). Anything specific I should know/have when I bring him home? I know that a sizeable cage, food, and toys/perches are a must, but is there anything else? Also, I've read that it's best to let your bird get used to its surroundings for about 3 days before trying to take it out of the cage (while still being around and talking to it to get it used to your presence). Any truth to this? If he seems friendly and willing should I let him out to hang out with me?

You've all probably been asked this question a million times but I just wanna make sure :ohdear:

There is absolutely no reason not to let your bird out of his cage to interact with you on the very first day if the bird wants to do that.

If he's been well-socialized and already loves and trusts you (and has his wings clipped so he can't panic-fly and hurt himself) then he'll be fine.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Kenshin posted:

There is absolutely no reason not to let your bird out of his cage to interact with you on the very first day if the bird wants to do that.

If he's been well-socialized and already loves and trusts you (and has his wings clipped so he can't panic-fly and hurt himself) then he'll be fine.

This. :3: Also:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Kenshin posted:

Bolded and underlined the important part.

The first few days you should be working on establishing trust and making your new friend feel safe. If he knows you already and you've handled him before, go right ahead! If he's acting tentative or scared, back off and let him acclimate. It's going to take time to learn to read his body language and for him to learn how to convey his wants. Also remember he's been taken away from everything he has ever known and plopped in a strange place!

In general just take it slow and be prepared to just sit next to the cage chilling out together if that's all he can handle. Congrats on your new friend! :D

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah. Pay attention to what the bird wants and how he is acting.

I had Alexis out and she was snuggling with me on her very first day--in fact, the very first time she'd met me, as the people I adopted her from visited me with her and dropped her off the same day once it was clear I knew how to handle her and she didn't freak out.

If the bird already knows you it may very well want to be with you for the first few days until it gets used to its new surroundings. You might have a little velcro bird for a while. Or, just as likely, he'll be nervous and want to stick to his cage.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Somebody figured out the fridge!

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Antoine Silvere posted:

I let Ozzie (my GCC) out as soon as I got him home. He spent the first week or so superglued to my shoulder, but I let him explore if he wanted to. After a few days, he was starting to investigate things. Fast-forward a few months, and he splits his time pretty much 50:50 between perching on my shoulder and destroying my house. If properly socialised by the breeder, your bird should cling to you (a human) as the only familiar item in a strange new world. Just let him explore and adapt to it as his own speed.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll see what mr bird wants and let him hang out with me if he so chooses :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Does anybody else have a bird who is fussy about the colour of his food. Ozzie will not touch anything that is red. He'll run up my shoulder to escape when I try menacing him with a cherry or raspberry, but he'll gruesomely murder a green grape or apple chunk (and what he does to a raisin is not for the faint hearted). I feed him a multi-coloured pellet mix, and he even leaves the red pellets. Not a problem, but pretty fussy behaviour.