Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I do like the setting, oddly enough. And about the news report... wasn't there a tiny rear end "town" in the LA area within like the last decade that was just the biggest loving hotbed of corruption for a census designated place that had like <100 residents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

This show is just an excuse to show man rear end.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Frostwerks posted:

I do like the setting, oddly enough. And about the news report... wasn't there a tiny rear end "town" in the LA area within like the last decade that was just the biggest loving hotbed of corruption for a census designated place that had like <100 residents?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon,_California

Pizzolatto says he based Vinci, California on the same town.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Thanks. I remember a thread in old GBS of all places.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Damo posted:

Jesus Christ people if he was really actually attempting to commit suicide, do you not think he would have tried a more, you know, sure method? And actually have stuck with it?

What he did screams adrenaline junkie who needs to do crazy things to feel alive and emotion again. Compare that to his inability to get a boner and how that is a similar theme of being numb and not being able to enjoy life like others can.. Also recall how he said earlier in the episode how he NEEDS to stay on the highways, as that is the only time he feels good or right or whatever The guy is numb from his life experiences and riding the highways on his bike like that is practically the only thing that keeps him sane. Perhaps he was toying with the idea of suicide in the sense that he was being reckless in his persuit for emotion and a connection to life and desire to live again, -- but he wasn't doing it to kill himself for sure.

I swear to god people you are really loving stupid and bad at watching television. I need to stay away from this loving thread if this is any indication of the level of discussion and interpretation. The show is practically loving screaming what it's trying to tell you and you are just straight making poo poo up instead. What the hell?

It seems normal to get this angry when you see a goon misinterpret a scene in a TV show.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

something about the cinematography/shots felt very lynch/mulholland drive.

and i find it hard to say whether it's good or bad. it's one chapter of a book. really depends how it blossoms. i trust the guy.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Abel Wingnut posted:

something about the cinematography/shots felt very lynch/mulholland drive.

and i find it hard to say whether it's good or bad. it's one chapter of a book. really depends how it blossoms. i trust the guy.
Another reviewer I read made that connection too. I did notice a brief shot of an interstate sign pointing the way to Mulholland but didn't think much about it at the time.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Does anybody know if Woody Harrelson and Matthew Mcconaughey were actually hands on in the production or were their executive producer credits just awarded as titles/additional incentives leftover from season 1?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Pretty great start to set up the series. I don't get all the negative reviews, but I guess they were expecting something that blew them away like season 1 all compressed into one episode.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pentyne posted:

Pretty great start to set up the series. I don't get all the negative reviews, but I guess they were expecting something that blew them away like season 1 all compressed into one episode.

First episode was a bit all over the place as far as the sound design goes, some of it was way too quiet.

I'm onboard with Colin Farrell playing a Drunkard ie, an Irishman

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

First episode was a bit all over the place as far as the sound design goes, some of it was way too quiet.

It was really weird seeing Farrell without a mustache. I can't remember the last time he was in something without one. That I watched.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Damo posted:

Jesus Christ people if he was really actually attempting to commit suicide, do you not think he would have tried a more, you know, sure method? And actually have stuck with it?

He was trying to kill himself.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'm looking forward to seven more weeks of people definitively explaining the actions of the characters based off of limited understanding.

It's possible he was trying to kill himself.

It's possible he's an adrenaline junky.

It's possible that some past trauma has left him numb and he engages in reckless behavior because he otherwise can't feel anything.

It's possible that driving at night without his headlights on is some super secret ritual that whatever cult is involved this season uses as a right of passage.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Frostwerks posted:

New song is loving poo poo lmfao

Yup. I don't think I'm ever going to not fast forward it this season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ani's sister was Riley from the Terminator tv show. Cool to see that she's moved up in the world.

Re: whatever was happening during McAdam's first scene -- I don't think it matters what kind of sex act she was into, and there's nothing that really implies one thing or the other. I think it just matters that she was trying out something new, and freaked out when the dude she was with wasn't into it. Her tepid experimentation here is a contrast to the way she's so hard on her sister in her following scenes, and suggests that she's pretty heavily repressed.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Have critics seen all of season 2 or just an advance of the first couple?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The first three apparently.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Anyone else notice they snuck in Woody and McConaughey into the intro?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Anyone else notice they snuck in Woody and McConaughey into the intro?

Like, their silhouettes? I saw their names.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
Just skimmed the episode but is there any chance McAdams is Harrelson's daughter using her police connections to cover her tracks from season 1?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Al Nipper posted:

Just skimmed the episode but is there any chance McAdams is Harrelson's daughter using her police connections to cover her tracks from season 1?

Best theory so far.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Open Source Idiom posted:

Ani's sister was Riley from the Terminator tv show. Cool to see that she's moved up in the world.

Re: whatever was happening during McAdam's first scene -- I don't think it matters what kind of sex act she was into, and there's nothing that really implies one thing or the other. I think it just matters that she was trying out something new, and freaked out when the dude she was with wasn't into it. Her tepid experimentation here is a contrast to the way she's so hard on her sister in her following scenes, and suggests that she's pretty heavily repressed.

She wasn't trying something new, the dude says "I didn't know that women liked that" and "do you actually like that?" and she replied "sometimes". I am guessing it was either anal or a bit of the ol' rough n' tumble (i.e. choking). But you are correct that it is meant to show that contrast between her acting hard assed and how she really is.

Al Nipper posted:

her dad is in the episode. The long haired dharma initiative dude. The guy from the Rock.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

withak posted:

The first three apparently.

I read a review in NYT a few days ago and wondered this. I wouldn't have thought that they had seen the whole season but based on the text they were making statements like they were judging the whole season and already hoping s3 comes back stronger. I wasn't fully obsessed with s1 until after episode 4 and expect this season to take a few to get going as well.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

I think the show had a real hard time because they had to move to bring these disparate characters together in 60 minutes and tie them together for a mystery that will last the whole season, whereas season 1 starts with the knowledge that Cohle and Hart have over a decade of a background together and the interest is in what brought them to this point in the future.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Vince vaughan is a terrible actor. Colin farrel can only play one character (himself). Taylor kitsch is dumb enough to play another dumb character. Rachel mcadams is not a cop and never can be

Ye justin lin is the best director in the game

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

pentyne posted:

this show really seems to bring all the arm-chair critics and knee-jerk reactions

plus every review so far keeps comparing season 1 to the new season, like they're stuck on it as diehard fanatics. :allears:

I mean if you've never watched season 1, come into season 2 as a standalone, you'd already be compelled.

Imo, they're kind of short sighted trying to compare apples and oranges, and thats the risk you take with anthologies. They're biting into season's 2 apple thinking it'll taste like an orange, and thats straight up retarded.

And then you just have people who don't like fun so they'll scrutinize over the most meaningless things. "OMG Rachel McAdams hair is so nasteeahey, omg those earrings, omg wtf shes not cop material lol OMG SONG SUCKS, OMG THEY CANT ACT!!1 LOL I CAN DO BETTER, HOLD MY BEER" Who gives a poo poo~ Bandwagoners~

I already want to watch more just to see Ray Velcoro be a drunk thug. It owns. "gently caress...you." "ASSPEN" "WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR NIKES?!"

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 22, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

S1 of True Detective is one of my favourite shows of the past decade, and I liked this episode a lot :shrug:

I think from the beginning the show's been more about atmosphere and existential dread than plotting and snappy dialogue. It's already got a great build-up going and an appropriately bleak tone, the only part that didn't work for me was Vince Vaughn because I think he's loving terrible and his scenes with the rail stuff weren't connected to anything else. But that's the only real complaint I have about this episode, I thought it was awesome.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
If you were really devoted to the guessing game Cthulhu theories last season you'll probably hate this season, and every subsequent season. There was a little bit of trolling on Nick Pizzolatto's part to set that up, but thats not what this series is about.

This series is about investigating broken human beings, and this one in particular seems to be about fatherhood, specifically.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I feel like this first episode was an experiment to see what things would be like if every cop was Quinn from Dexter.

e: But without the parts where he's kind of Charming. Going to give it another few episodes before judgement.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 22, 2015

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014

Mike N Eich posted:

This series is about investigating broken human beings, and this one in particular seems to be about fatherhood, specifically.

also as someone mentioned characters are either impotent or infertile, collin farrel has a kid thats noit his and i wouldnt be surprised if rachel mcadams is barren. oth Caspere seems to have been obsessed with sex having all kinds of orgies, also dead.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Hakkesshu posted:

S1 of True Detective is one of my favourite shows of the past decade, and I liked this episode a lot :shrug:

I think from the beginning the show's been more about atmosphere and existential dread than plotting and snappy dialogue. It's already got a great build-up going and an appropriately bleak tone, the only part that didn't work for me was Vince Vaughn because I think he's loving terrible and his scenes with the rail stuff weren't connected to anything else. But that's the only real complaint I have about this episode, I thought it was awesome.

That's kind of what I got from it. It's a lot of foreshadowing visually, can only wait to see if it delivers.

I think Vince Vaughn has been typecasted to hell and the poor guy's trying to do something different. This episode, I think Frank was really just more of a set up piece to Ray Velcoro's backstory and the implications of their relationship. Maybe he'll have more room to work with in upcoming episodes, maybe he'll show a violent/ruthless streak. It may be that he keeps somewhat quiet so he's trying to keep an illusion of being a self-made man who's within grasp of finally striking oil. He doesn't know that the city manager that's holding his purse turned up dead yet either, that's more than likely to set him off.

A lot of what this episode offered was that nothing is what it seems on the surface apparently. Jumps right into that when Ray says "I welcome judgment." which is both ironic and hypocritical. It goes to show that later in the episode that he's not exactly appropriate dad material and custody seems really sketchy. ASSPEN

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 22, 2015

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

linoleum floors posted:

Vince vaughan is a terrible actor. Colin farrel can only play one character (himself). Taylor kitsch is dumb enough to play another dumb character. Rachel mcadams is not a cop and never can be

Ye justin lin is the best director in the game

Vaughn is like the Jimmy Fallon of acting, I have no idea how he gets work.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Frostwerks posted:

New song is loving poo poo lmfao

Wow look at how wrong you are.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Beamed posted:

Wow look at how wrong you are.

This is true, just re-watched it and the song is good.

Hakkesshu posted:

The rail stuff will definitely turn out to be connected to everything else.

In my re-watch I re-noticed the opening scene - it shows some tags sticking out of the ground, and for an instant you can see a sign that says "contamin...". I'm guessing that they're building the rail line over some nasty poo poo.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Also, you all have to be excited to see what's going on with the creepy Bird mask head thing right? Like drat, that was chilling

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Creepy bird mask confirmed that, even if the occult isn't involved like last season, we will be getting something equally as interesting. Can't wait to see what happens.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moltke posted:

Creepy bird mask confirmed that, even if the occult isn't involved like last season, we will be getting something equally as interesting. Can't wait to see what happens.

Apart from that, the apocalyptic new age cult that Ani's father runs. I think that's probably going to qualify as occult, at least to some extent.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Didn't think Vaughn was terrible; didn't think he stood out either. There just aren't a lot of layers of depth or subtlety to his low-key performance like other, better actors can pull off so it's coming in a little dull.

Was anyone else thrown off by the excessive use of tension hooks and tension music during the driving parts, where it felt like not that much honest tension was building? It was making me laugh because I really just did not feel a lot of tension building up at all.. but the music is telling me it should be, and it comes off almost like a parody.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The end scene would have been better if the non-main lead cop went "Now we'll find out who is the True Detective" before loving off and letting that camera sweep over the leads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
So is this set in the future or why do we have tiny swimming sex robots?

• Locked thread