Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scarred Heart
Jun 22, 2015

by Ralp
Went in with low expectations, but I really enjoyed it overall.

1. I don't think the traffic cop is gay as has been speculated. He is not married to the girl and has no children, so if he didn't want to deal with her he would just leave. I think he is either suffering from PTSD, or has some kind of sexual abuse in his past that is affecting his sex drive.

2. We haven't seen the wife yet, but their is no way that kid is Colin's right?

3. Rachel Macadam's really surprised me. You can tell she is having a lot of fun playing something other than the concerned girlfriend. I hope the writers do right by her, and don't turn her into some damaged little girl who needs to be saved.

4. Vince Vaughn was the only disappointment. He is a very naturally charismatic guy, but it felt like he was going out of his way to be "serious" and "tough". The writers need to play to his strengths, because he lacks the gravitas needed to pull off the character as written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

i dont know how a rational person could interpret this scene any differently

The fact that he turned his lights off seems to hint that at the very least he's willing to leave it to chance. If he was dead set (pun intended) on killing himself he'd have kept his lights on to make finding a tree or light post to hit head-on much easier.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Scarred Heart posted:

Vince Vaughn... very naturally charismatic

Uh

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Pastor Perineum posted:

I like season 1's intro song more. :colbert:

The S1 intro song was amazing and drew me in immediately but the S2 intro grew on me after a rewatch.

edit: I had no idea the intro was Leonard "The Gruffest Canadian Alive" Cohen. That makes the intro a hundred times cooler imo

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 23, 2015

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

double post, sorry

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This episode had a Dashiell Hammett feel to it.

Maybe it's the California thing, but I'm pretty sure that The Dain Curse also had a setting that was pretty similar to where the dead guy ended up.

I'm A-OK with Pizzolatto ripping Dashiell Hammett instead of HP Lovecraft for this season.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Scarred Heart posted:

Went in with low expectations, but I really enjoyed it overall.

1. I don't think the traffic cop is gay as has been speculated. He is not married to the girl and has no children, so if he didn't want to deal with her he would just leave. I think he is either suffering from PTSD, or has some kind of sexual abuse in his past that is affecting his sex drive.

It is very clear that he's suffering from PTSD and something more. "That one was from before the army."

They made it as clear as they could that Ray's son was the rapist's and that Ray killed him with the information Frank gave to him, and now he's forever involved with Frank who now has a murder on him.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Scarred Heart posted:

I don't see why he'd push himself into a sexual relationship if he was gay, if he needs to prove something to his department being a hosed-up cop/ex-military should be able to excuse him being single. The army stuff plus the fact that he's got some pretty gnarly scars from before then definitely hints at him being some sort of extreme/adrenaline junkie who gets his kicks through that rather than sex.

Scarred Heart posted:

Their colourings don't match but the rapist guy was (IIRC) latino in the photo so that doesn't match either. It's possible his wife was loving around on him since I can't imagine he was a particularly great husband, but the red-headed gene is recessive so it is possible for it to randomly crop up, it's caused a lot of paternity tests to be requested.

e: one thing I didn't like is that motorcycle cop just happened to pull out of his skid right where that important missing guy that everyone was after was just chilling out on his bench. Having made it clear exactly how much highway there is in the region, it just seems like a totally unbelievable coincidence.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 23, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Professor Shark posted:

It is very clear that he's suffering from PTSD and something more. "That one was from before the army."

They made it as clear as they could that Ray's son was the rapist's and that Ray killed him with the information Frank gave to him, and now he's forever involved with Frank who now has a murder on him.

Wow! Spoilers, much

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

niethan posted:

So is this set in the future or why do we have tiny swimming sex robots?

yo what the gently caress was this? what is that? do you order it off the loving sharper image or what

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

HBO is finding more and more creative ways to show boobs on TV

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

e: one thing I didn't like is that motorcycle cop just happened to pull out of his skid right where that important missing guy that everyone was after was just chilling out on his bench. Having made it clear exactly how much highway there is in the region, it just seems like a totally unbelievable coincidence.

The highway imagery is even better than I expected, they're really selling it as a living, breathing, creepy-as-gently caress entity that connects everything, like some sort of monster.

Everyone gets touched!

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

Professor Shark posted:

:agreed: Farrell is my favorite character so far, they did a good job with him. He shot, drank, and sniffed during that one 3 minute bar scene!

and yet he doesnt seem intoxicated at all

great job colin

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So I just found this thread. I'm assuming some people are up in arms and calling this season bad already and it can't compare? I'll read up and check if I'm right.

I loved this, it was so different than the first season and still really compelling. I really thought this season was going to be bad but I like the set-up and think this guy might be really talented after all. ;)

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

linoleum floors posted:

great job colin

Wow, this guy is really good at playing an Irishman!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

linoleum floors posted:

great job colin

kiimo posted:

I really thought this season was going to be bad but I like the set-up and think this guy might be really talented after all. ;)

I'm hoping the scarred up waitress, the one who wears her scars on the outside, returns! :cool:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Considering the picture of Ray's sons real father, his mother must be the gingerest person on earth.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think it's about time we talk about :can:WOMEN:can: now, here, in the True Detective 2 thread, in TV/IV.

Why don't you get him out here, the missus'll never have to know...

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
rachel mcadams is way too waifish to play a convincing police officer, also theyve put too much makeup on her, and she dresses incorrectly. cops dont wear skinny jeans during raids.

i have to same complaint about colin farrel. he looks and dresses like colin farrel. not a drunk corrupt cop. a loving movie star

vince vaughan looks like a scared manchild throughout the entire episode. hes had too much botox

complaints about plot are dumb as hell for the first episode. it's a slow burning series. so is complaining about it being pulp detective ripoff.. did any of you even watch season 1? the direction and writing is the only thing holding it together. It seems off because the casting is terrible.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

linoleum floors posted:

rachel mcadams is way too waifish to play a convincing police officer, also theyve put too much makeup on her, and she dresses incorrectly. cops dont wear skinny jeans during raids.

i have to same complaint about colin farrel. he looks and dresses like colin farrel. not a drunk corrupt cop. a loving movie star

vince vaughan looks like a scared manchild throughout the entire episode. hes had too much botox

complaints about plot are dumb as hell for the first episode. it's a slow burning series. so is complaining about it being pulp detective ripoff.. did any of you even watch season 1? the direction and writing is the only thing holding it together. It seems off because the casting is terrible.

I was using "ripping" with affection.

Anyway, "Athena" and "Antigone" are some pretty loaded female character names, Pizzolatto!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

linoleum floors posted:

great job colin

high functioning alcoholics who drink regularly can keep their poo poo together

plus he's irish, what do you expect :shrug:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
McAdams having her flannel half unbuttoned showing cleavage was pretty lol worthy too, as far as wardrobe.

I got a bit of a Muholland drive feeling with it, so i'm excited for this season.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Vastarien posted:

“Sometimes, riding at night, I punch off the headlights and roll on the throttle and just rocket blind into the dark.”

lol

Glad I wasn't the only one who immediately thought of Taylor Kitsch's character as James Hurley. Even before he was disbarred and turned into Suicide Night Rider, he walked up in his CHiPs shades and helmet and his grumbly pouty Eagle Scout demeanor made me think of James.

But anyway I liked the first episode, I can't believe all the bad people with bad opinions dogpiling in the thread to poo poo all over it.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
someone uploaded the one scene that was worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHQaCXgw01o

im glad of it

rear end

PEN

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

wrong thread

edit: Farrell's character reminding me a lot of Nicholas Cage in Bad Lieutenant.

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 23, 2015

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think a lot of people ITT are forgetting how unlike-able the characters were in the first ep of season one. Both of them are assholes to the detectives interviewing them and it paints one of them as a nihilistic (fatalistic?) dickhead alcoholic and the other as a womanising borderline piss head douchebag. Coming out of the first episode it was more or less one or two scenes that lead to people being interested. The characters in the first season weren't really likeable - at all throughout.

I enjoyed the first ep. I liked Taylor Kistch's character and thought Colin Farrell was great.

I don't know why everyone was expecting to be blown away in episode one. It's going to take the whole season really to pass judgement and picking on petty poo poo like Rachel McAdams frame and Colin Farrell drinking Johnny Blue is a little nitpicky.

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't see why he'd push himself into a sexual relationship if he was gay, if he needs to prove something to his department being a hosed-up cop/ex-military should be able to excuse him being single. The army stuff plus the fact that he's got some pretty gnarly scars from before then definitely hints at him being some sort of extreme/adrenaline junkie who gets his kicks through that rather than sex.

Their colourings don't match but the rapist guy was (IIRC) latino in the photo so that doesn't match either. It's possible his wife was loving around on him since I can't imagine he was a particularly great husband, but the red-headed gene is recessive so it is possible for it to randomly crop up, it's caused a lot of paternity tests to be requested.

He's PTSD as hell and it's not unusual for guys to suffer impotence when under a huge amount of stress. All his behaviour including driving at night with no headlight and speeding isn't unusual in that context.

Yeah that's a little bit too coincidental but when you consider the way the previous series was written there was a lot of coincidental poo poo that tied into the underlying mythos that flavoured the series so I can give it a pass.

Also I kind of like the relationship between Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn. Vaughn obviously feels sorry for the guy, but uses him for his own ends and kind of seems conflicted by it. I like where they're taking Vaughn's character, he's ruthless and he's obviously "a bad guy" but he's not some scheming ultra violent stereotype his insecurities over the venue and people at the event were a nice touch.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I worked at a resort in Williamsburg, Virginia, when Colin Farrell was filming that lovely Pocahontas movie and from a smoking/drinking perspective, this is very close to how he actually is. That fucker reeked of whiskey and cigarettes every time he came into the gym.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lastgirl posted:

high functioning alcoholics who drink regularly can keep their poo poo together

plus he's irish, what do you expect :shrug:

Look buddy, I've already knocked the papists down a notch. Read the thread, moran

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wait, Taylor is a boy's name?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

True Detective S2: Hey guys how good is drone photography?!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

blablablabla posted:

Considering the picture of Ray's sons real father, his mother must be the gingerest person on earth.

I'm thinking that guy in the picture probably had no connection to the rape of Ray's wife.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Madurai posted:

I'm thinking that guy in the picture probably had no connection to the rape of Ray's wife.

Should have been a picture of Ronald McDonald.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Nick Cave in the closing credits. I'm sold.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Lastgirl posted:

someone uploaded the one scene that was worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHQaCXgw01o

im glad of it

rear end

PEN

America's gift for Father's Day 2015

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Vanderdeath posted:

America's gift for Father's Day 2015

What dad doesn't like buttfucking?

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

Scarred Heart posted:

4. Vince Vaughn was the only disappointment. He is a very naturally charismatic guy, but it felt like he was going out of his way to be "serious" and "tough". The writers need to play to his strengths, because he lacks the gravitas needed to pull off the character as written.

I'm thinking we'll get to see something interesting in the next few episodes. Even Osip (Russian guy) says Frank was terror in the 90s, so I think we'll get to see more of that as he tries to find out where the money went.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
I like it and liked the James Ellroy like trio of protagonists

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

BlindSite posted:

Also I kind of like the relationship between Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn. Vaughn obviously feels sorry for the guy, but uses him for his own ends and kind of seems conflicted by it.

When Frank was eyeing the drunk, sexy, mustachioed mess that Ray is, I think there was a bit of concern like... "is this guy a liability soon? is he going to be no longer dependable? Is this poo poo gonna blow back on me?"

Frostwerks posted:

Look buddy, I've already knocked the papists down a notch. Read the thread, moran

na too many words. thanks tho keep up the good work friend :allears:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Wasn't the guy in the picture the journalist that was annoying Vince Vaughn?

Wasn't that like...written on the picture that he was some sort of journalist. And then another scene was dedicated to explaining what happened there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Hypocrisy posted:

Wasn't the guy in the picture the journalist that was annoying Vince Vaughn?

Wasn't that like...written on the picture that he was some sort of journalist. And then another scene was dedicated to explaining what happened there?
The picture of the "rapist" is not the picture of the journalist (a dude with longer hair). We see that second picture immediately before we see the journalist himself (and Ray goes to beat the poo poo out of him).

• Locked thread