Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hasn't GRRM specifically stated that Quarth is the furthest east we're ever going to see?

He also pretends we didn't figure out R+L=J really early on and seemed genuinely surprised people latched onto Oberyn. For a guy who can be drat perceptive with all his imaginary characters' motivations and actions he can be pretty dim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
He also said at one point that we could see Valyria in the books but said it might not be in the present, implying a flashback or even a named chapter taking us to the place indirectly. Could we see Asshai through Melisandre or someone else's eyes in the same way? I mean it could be interesting and we wouldn't need another loving epic boat journey filled with cyvasse or some poo poo.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I hope Dany visits Kayakayanaya on her way to Asshai.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Amoeba102 posted:

http://www.pb.utfpr.edu.br/ribas/aed1/2012-2/trabalho3/banco-de-exemplos/2013-04-26.jpg

Here's a link since I'm having trouble uploading. Asshai is in the bottom right corner.

Ib? K'Dath? Leng? :cthulhu:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Leng and Ib at least were in world of ice and fire (pretty sure they talk about "Ibbenese" in the books)

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

jsoh posted:

he also stated he would release another book

Man's got a point.

Krinkle posted:

Asshai is south though?

I just looked at a map. It stops and a huge arrow says "asshai somewhere even further east, who cares". I guess if he ain't never drawn it in a fantasy map it can't be a destination even though quaithe made it sound pretty goddamn important.

I think Asshai is like Rhun and the rest of the Istari in Lord of the Rings. Interesting things you desperately want to know more about, but there simply wasn't enough time to explore these subjects.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A lot of the poo poo mentioned in the World of Ice and Fire is really far out and crazy. Especially for Sothyros and the eastern most parts of Essos. I think this is meant to reflect how real life scholars in the middle ages would write stuff about giants and winged people living in far away places simply because all they had to go on for those places was vague rumours and old legends. The fact that the book is written in character by a biased Westerosi author probably indicates that we're not supposed to take it as being 100% accurate.

Asshai should probably be fairly accurate since he could probably just ask Marwyn.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Leng and Ib at least were in world of ice and fire (pretty sure they talk about "Ibbenese" in the books)

The Ibbenese are a nation of really hairy semi-midget Eskimo dudes who primarily hunt whales and sell whale related products. I think one of the Bloody Mummers was Ibbense and Tyrion had gay Ibbenese mercenaries guarding Shai. There are also some mentions of Ibbenese whaling ships. The Skagosi are possibly descendants of Ibbenese sailors and traders.

jsoh posted:

he also stated he would release another book

Winds of Winder is set to come out 4 days before the heat death of the universe.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 23, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

OhYeah posted:

I think Asshai is like Rhun and the rest of the Istari in Lord of the Rings. Interesting things you desperately want to know more about, but there simply wasn't enough time to explore these subjects.

And the mysteries are much more enjoyable than the explanations would be.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
So is that map/WoIAF based on actual notes/comments from GRRM+stuff in the actual books, or is it mostly fanwank from those wiki assholes? Because I don't recall 3/4 of that poo poo even getting a passing mention in the books and I doubt GRRM had the discipline to make that much stuff up on any kind of deadline.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Kayakayanaya is totally mentioned in the books. I don't remember the context, probably as one of the places that traders to the Dothraki city come from, but that name is pretty distinctive

We need a :kayakayanaya: emote.

Edit: That map emphasizes just how unimportant the whole "Winter is coming" thing is. The rest of the world doesn't even care about the winters. Westeros could get ice-spider'ed to death and the people in Myr and Qarth and Yi Ti and all those other places wouldn't even blink.

Kylaer fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 23, 2015

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Kylaer posted:

Kayakayanaya is totally mentioned in the books. I don't remember the context, probably as one of the places that traders to the Dothraki city come from, but that name is pretty distinctive

We need a :kayakayanaya: emote.

Edit: That map emphasizes just how unimportant the whole "Winter is coming" thing is. The rest of the world doesn't even care about the winters. Westeros could get ice-spider'ed to death and the people in Myr and Qarth and Yi Ti and all those other places wouldn't even blink.

The World of Ice and Fire makes it clear that the Long Night was a global phenomenon and every culture has its own version of the Azor Ahai legend (which is from Asshai, remmber). Yi Ti and Ib also both have Walls of their own, with the former (Five Forts) being even more elaborate and massive than Westeros'. Winter isn't isolated to just Westeros, it fucks up the entire world.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

So is that map/WoIAF based on actual notes/comments from GRRM+stuff in the actual books, or is it mostly fanwank from those wiki assholes? Because I don't recall 3/4 of that poo poo even getting a passing mention in the books and I doubt GRRM had the discipline to make that much stuff up on any kind of deadline.

it looks like a rpg map

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There's like a shitload of Lovecraft references in WoAIF and the forums of Ice and Fire are chock full of people who are taking them as being clues to the fact that the real threat to Westeros is actually the impending Merling invasion, which Varys is laying the groundwork for.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

He also said at one point that we could see Valyria in the books but said it might not be in the present, implying a flashback or even a named chapter taking us to the place indirectly. Could we see Asshai through Melisandre or someone else's eyes in the same way? I mean it could be interesting and we wouldn't need another loving epic boat journey filled with cyvasse or some poo poo.

I'd be satisfied with that provided it actually gave some answers. I don't even care if it's boilerplate poo poo, just as long as it's a firm answer and not some "enjoy the journey" dogshit.

FreudianSlippers posted:

There's like a shitload of Lovecraft references in WoAIF and the forums of Ice and Fire are chock full of people who are taking them as being clues to the fact that the real threat to Westeros is actually the impending Merling invasion, which Varys is laying the groundwork for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gkiuVz-Ryo

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

In It For The Tank posted:

The World of Ice and Fire makes it clear that the Long Night was a global phenomenon and every culture has its own version of the Azor Ahai legend (which is from Asshai, remmber). Yi Ti and Ib also both have Walls of their own, with the former (Five Forts) being even more elaborate and massive than Westeros'. Winter isn't isolated to just Westeros, it fucks up the entire world.

That somehow makes it even more stupid, and I'm not sure how that can be, considering how stupid it was to begin with. I mean, how do the Dothraki survive a multi-year winter on the steppe, when no fodder for their horses can grow? At least in Westeros you can suspend disbelief to a degree by saying "The reason for all the castles is to store all the provisions for the winters."

When Yi Ti existed only by way of referencing that the dudes who lived there wear monkey-skin hats, that was way better than the bullshit they've tried to flesh it into.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The long night was 8000 or so years ago. The Dothraki only entered the scene like 500 years ago. Where their ancestors were before that or whether they were also raiders/nomads is a bit vague. I think it was mentioned somewhere that the bones that give the Bone Mountains their names are the remains of the ancestors of the Dothraki, before they started moving west.

Yi-Ti is fantasy China/Japan/India. It's got shitloads of saffron and jade. Large part of Yi-Ti are jungle and it's ruled over by a God-Emperor but his power is almost totally limited to his capital and the hundreds of princes, warlords and generals under him do basically whatever the gently caress they want with their realms.
:spergin:

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 23, 2015

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Ibbenese are a nation of really hairy semi-midget Eskimo dudes who primarily hunt whales and sell whale related products. I think one of the Bloody Mummers was Ibbense and Tyrion had gay Ibbenese mercenaries guarding Shai. There are also some mentions of Ibbenese whaling ships. The Skagosi are possibly descendants of Ibbenese sailors and traders.

Even more than that; the Ibbenese are straight up Neanderthals. To the point that they can't really interbreed with humans anymore.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

haha what the hell is all that, did that come with a world of ice and fire? Carcosa from true detective is there I guess, also glad to know there is a southeasteros in addition to southeros.

It came from the collection of maps he released like a year before World of Ice & Fire.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

FourLeaf posted:

Even more than that; the Ibbenese are straight up Neanderthals. To the point that they can't really interbreed with humans anymore.

Neanderthals and sapiens totally interbred though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

In the show didn't Jorah sail through Valyria with Tyrion?
I swear that's where he said and I felt disappointed.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Taear posted:

In the show didn't Jorah sail through Valyria with Tyrion?
I swear that's where he said and I felt disappointed.

Yeah but it was just some dumb bullshit, in the books the same scene happens in the ruins of Chroyane, I have no idea why the show decided to blow the load on the mystery of valyria on some weak rear end aqueduct and a boat ride, I guess they really wanted Jorah and Tyrion to recite a poem.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah but it was just some dumb bullshit, in the books the same scene happens in the ruins of Chroyane, I have no idea why the show decided to blow the load on the mystery of valyria on some weak rear end aqueduct and a boat ride, I guess they really wanted Jorah and Tyrion to recite a poem.

I thought the same, it's just wasting something enormous. I guess that means that it doesn't matter.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Kylaer posted:

That somehow makes it even more stupid, and I'm not sure how that can be, considering how stupid it was to begin with. I mean, how do the Dothraki survive a multi-year winter on the steppe, when no fodder for their horses can grow? At least in Westeros you can suspend disbelief to a degree by saying "The reason for all the castles is to store all the provisions for the winters."

When Yi Ti existed only by way of referencing that the dudes who lived there wear monkey-skin hats, that was way better than the bullshit they've tried to flesh it into.

In the books khal drogo had mansions everywhere. Maybe he invests his slave gold in grain.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Knuc U Kinte posted:

In the books khal drogo had mansions everywhere. Maybe he invests his slave gold in grain.

I don't remember that at all and I just read game of thrones last week. What constitutes a mansion for a roving horse warlord?

I just caught up with the terrible video game and you meet dany outside mereen and you gotta help her take the city but the only reason you can talk to her is because you found her dragon drogo and she wants to know about it but drogo doesn't even go missing until after she takes mereen and it eats a kid like goddamn. This is some anachronistic bullshit right here.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Krinkle posted:

I don't remember that at all and I just read game of thrones last week. What constitutes a mansion for a roving horse warlord?

I just caught up with the terrible video game and you meet dany outside mereen and you gotta help her take the city but the only reason you can talk to her is because you found her dragon drogo and she wants to know about it but drogo doesn't even go missing until after she takes mereen and it eats a kid like goddamn. This is some anachronistic bullshit right here.

It specifically mentions he owns a massive mansion in Pentos, I just assumed he had them everywhere cities didn't want barbarian horselords to loot and pillage.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He has a mansion outside of Pentos, I don't really remember any other mansions mentioned but that's probably just me not remembering. In Pentos and in the other free cities which trade with the Dothraki it's customary to simply gift the Dothraki Khals great mansions built outside the cities, these mansions will basically pass on to the next important Khal once the current owner dies.

There's also the thing where the Dothraki do not exactly 'trade' in goods, neither among themselves nor with outsiders, the way to trade with the Dothraki is to give them gifts, perhaps come to some agreement as for what would constitute proper compensation or just hope that they oblige, Illyrio says to Viserys that the Dothraki are actually very reliable and will usually try to 'pay back' but they will do it at their own convenience. After all half of Dany's plot in AGOT revolves around Drogo running his errands ignoring his alleged deal with Viserys, ultimately he decides to invade Westeros only when he believes Robert tried to murder Dany and their unborn son.

The first book is real good, I'm also rereading it now.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 23, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The first book is so good. It's so good I would read a passage, see it in my mind's eye and have to go watch the first season and by just keeping most of the dialog there those scenes were good. Drogo getting mad and swearing to conquer westeros is a really powerful scene. The spit flying in that poisoner's face as he yells out. Goddamn.

But now I see the sand snakes dance fight when I close my eyes. They made such good tv just by adapting these really tight three books and then they gave up and tried to as-the-crow-flies it with only regards to getting whoever GRRM told them "wins" to the ending.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Krinkle posted:

But now I see the sand snakes dance fight when I close my eyes. They made such good tv just by adapting these really tight three books and then they gave up and tried to as-the-crow-flies it with only regards to getting whoever GRRM told them "wins" to the ending.

I think it's more than that. The first season is in my opinion easily the best season of a fantasy show ever made, one of the best TV watching experiences I've ever had (and let's not get into the sopranos/the wire/breaking bad comparisons, I think we can all agree it was a very good season of TV by most accounts) but when you review the source material it is simply much more compact than any of the other books, in the first book the only characters that are truly remote from any other character are Jon and Dany, and even Jon has his couple of chapters hanging out with Tyrion, and Dany's plot itself is very good and has an incredibly satisfying ending, past that book you already have Arya in one location, Sansa in another, Cat & Rob doing their thing, Jon is still all on his own, Stannis is introduced, Dany does nothing for an entire novel, etc, already you have the same amount of screentime divided between twice as many locations and concurrent plots and it just keeps expanding with every novel with certain characters constantly moving away from the central locations, past the first season the adaptation became a lot more challenging and instead of just excising material early on they allowed themselves to get carried away with George's excesses, the quality of their original material also didn't do them any favors for certain.

tl;dr: the first book is almost the perfect source material for a TV adaptation, the following novels much less so.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

It came from the collection of maps he released like a year before World of Ice & Fire.

Yep a lot (the majority?) of the geography and mythology outside Westeros and the parts of Essos we have seen in the books is straight up cribbed from other authors, the Lovecraft & Cthulhu mythos stuff has been pointed out here already, there's also some not-so-subtle references to the Elric of Melnibone series.

Maybe all of ASoIaF works best if you just assume that GRRM's fantasy world is just another incarnation of the dreamlands from Lovecraft or the drug-fueled dreams of Imrryr :shrug:

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Krinkle posted:

I just caught up with the terrible video game and you meet dany outside mereen

The telltale choose your own adventure one? It's actually the less terrible video game made of the series since this thing exists.

I actually liked the Telltale one, i mean if you get hung up on it being non canon you'll have a poo poo time but as a story set in the asoiaf world that works in addition to the main narratives it's pretty enjoyable. Yeah, Jon and Dany are even more retarded than their show counterparts but they aren't the main attraction in the game, they're just other players that you have to work around.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Game of Thrones (2012) isn't so bad as long as you approach it with the expectation that you're playing a budget game. The story is decent, the gameplay is serviceable, and you get to run around Westeros during the events of the first book. There's a lot of love put into that game even if it doesn't look like it on the surface. As long as you play on the easiest mode of difficulty, you'll probably have fun. (Like Deadly Premonition and other such budget games, you don't gain anything out of higher difficulty level except more frustrating encounters. The hardest level of difficulty is pretty much impossible to play properly because enemies will kill you in a few seconds, especially if there are archers. To reliably progress through the game, every encounter usually involves throwing the Strangler at the biggest opponent and then running away from them until they die).

Note: I bought it for less than a dollar so my opinion is untainted by the mistake of buying it at full-price, which I admit would be tremendously frustrating.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Crusader Kings mod for GOT is pretty fun, though I haven't played it in ages. When I did I'd always pick Stannis and try to get what was mine by right, but I'd usually fail.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Telltale game is pretty fun but it's railroady as gently caress and although you're supposed to be playing a tiny minor-house that's basically a glorified mountain clan you are constantly rubbing elbows with main characters which undermines the tension a bit because when dealing with those people you know exactly what will happen and that you can't do anything to change that.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
At least it's not Game of Thrones: Genesis...

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I'm just tired of telltale games adventures lately I mean pick a door, left or right. Oh you picked left? Why didn't you pick right? I'll remember this. Orange juice or apple juice? Apple juice? Really? I guess you hate oranges. Okay.... I'll remember that.

It's just a parade of passive aggressive second guessing your decisions when your decisions ultimately do not matter until possibly the very end of the last chapter.

Ultima 7 had a part where you are given a scientology quiz and it's all questions with no right answer. Your dad and your wife fall out a boat and you can only save one. Wow you'd let your dad drown? Your loving dad? Holy poo poo man you're hosed up and need religion. At least that game made it obvious that it was no-right-answer scenarios trying to railroad you into a cult. This game is just teasing you with the ability to change the story when you ultimately cannot. At the end a scary dude shows up to threaten me because he heard there was a cripple who couldn't be broken but if I had sucked every dick put in front of me I guarantee he'd still be there saying "I heard there was a guy who would eat poo poo no matter how unnecessary or humiliating and I just had to loving see this"

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Ginette Reno posted:

The Crusader Kings mod for GOT is pretty fun, though I haven't played it in ages. When I did I'd always pick Stannis and try to get what was mine by right, but I'd usually fail.

Jon Snow challenged my schlub 4 martial OC for the regency and pretty much gave me no option but to duel him. So satisfying when he died.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Carcosa is a ruin on a lake! That's a cool little easter egg.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

http://www.pb.utfpr.edu.br/ribas/aed1/2012-2/trabalho3/banco-de-exemplos/2013-04-26.jpg

Here's a link since I'm having trouble uploading. Asshai is in the bottom right corner.

Never noticed til looking at the thumbnail of this map, but it looks like some Valyria 2 type poo poo went down where the Thousand Islands/Grey Waste/Five Forts are now at.

It would be pretty funny if this series ends with all our protagonists dead, and it cuts to the Five Forts where Desmond's just chilling in Castle Fort Black. The alarm goes off and he punches in the numbers before the timer hits zero and everything resets (Stephen King spoilers) Dark Tower style.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I'm back into CoK now. When does the comet fade? I like how literally everyone takes it as a sign that they're gonna succeed. Catelyn is the only person in the seven kingdoms who thinks it might be someone else's sign.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

I had that and wanted to love it so bad but it's way too fuckin complicated and hard to play.